Best 22 - Most Underrated Players of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Neitz kicked 60+ in a season four times and averaged more than two goals a game over the course of his career, despite plenty several years as a defender. As for "conceding goals to a teammate", Robertson was also in that forwardline, kicking 30-40 pretty regularly. Check your facts.

Gehrig also averaged two goals a game over the course of his career and was one of the dominant key forwards in the comp for a period. He won two Colemans.

If you think Bradshaw has Richardson covered then you're high.

Bradshaw kicked 60+ in a season just once and averaged under two goals a game across his career.

So no, those guys have him covered. He's not top 15 among key forwards in the past 20 years but yeah he should be "mentioned" more, 10 years after he retired.
So the course of his career before 2000 means I have to assess his career before 2000 as well as post-2000 when assessing forwards from after 2000.

Even then that’s actually 21 seasons so it should just be from 2001 onwards but anyway.

Neitz kicked 60+ in a season four times and averaged more than two goals a game over the course of his career. As for "conceding goals to a teammate", Robertson was also in that forwardline, kicking 30-40 pretty regularly. Check your facts.

Gehrig also averaged two goals a game over the course of his career and was one of the dominant key forwards in the comp for a period. He won two Colemans.

If you think Bradshaw has Richardson covered then you're high.

Bradshaw kicked 60+ in a season just once and averaged under two goals a game across his career.

So no, those guys have him covered. He's not top 15 among key forwards in the past 20 years but yeah he should be "mentioned" more, 10 years after he retired.

Why does it offend you so much that other people have a different definition to underrated to you?

Even if he is worse than those players, does that mean he can’t be underrated?

I don’t think Sourac Ganguly is in the best 7-8 Indian batsmen I’ve seen and I’ve only been watching 30 years. Does that mean I am not allowed to think he’s underrated?

So the course of his career before 2000 means I have to assess his career before 2000 as well as post-2000 when assessing forwards from after 2000.

Even then that’s actually 21 seasons so it should just be from 2001 onwards but anyway.
Like I said, he's not among the best 15 key forwards of the past 20 years.

I don’t think Sourac Ganguly is in the best 7-8 Indian batsmen I’ve seen and I’ve only been watching 30 years. Does that mean I am not allowed to think he’s underrated?
Oh look, you've toppled over into irrelevance. Whoopsa-daisy! Do you need me to help you up?

Last edited:

Like I said, he's not among the best 15 key forwards of the past 20 years.

Who cares. Again you’re trying to force people to accept quantification as to what can and can’t constitute being underrated.

Where does it say ‘must be considered in the top 15 players in that role in the last 20 years’ in this non existent rule book of yours?

Who cares. Again you’re trying to force people to accept quantification as to what can and can’t constitute being underrated.
Nah you're right. It's the vibe that matters. Or something.

I reckon Gary Ablett Snr was under-rated. Because some people say Wayne Carey was better. Am I doing it right?

Where does it say ‘must be considered in the top 15 players in that role in the last 20 years’ in this non existent rule book of yours?
The point is that he wasn't actually elite in his position. He was handy. But that's why people don't "mention" him more often, a decade after he finished, which is apparently the metric for whether he's under-rated or not. Because of the "grand popular cultural scheme" or whatever waffle you spouted earlier.

Stop saying ridiculous things.

Last edited:
The point is that he wasn't actually elite in his position. He was handy. But that's why people don't "mention" him more often, a decade after he finished, which is apparently the metric for whether he's under-rated or not. Because of the "grand popular cultural scheme" or whatever waffle you spouted earlier.

Stop saying ridiculous things.

Ridiculous is trying to put a quantifiable definition on what does or doesn’t constitute underrated.

There have been nearly 13,000 afl/vfl players and 54 of them have kicked more goals than Bradshaw and while obviously most of those players weren’t selected to kick goals I would still suggest you can be outside the top 15 best key forwards across a fifth of a century and still be elite but I’m guessing there is some other definition im yet to clap eyes on that means he isn’t.

Ridiculous is trying to put a quantifiable definition on what does or doesn’t constitute underrated.
We should just base it on the vibe.

Like Corey Enright. He was AA six times but he was under-rated because there's not a parade for him.

This rule book should be like the yellow pages to ensure every household has a copy
If it helps you avoid saying silly things, that might be a good idea.

We should just base it on the vibe.

Like Corey Enright. He was AA six times but he was under-rated because there's not a parade for him.

Yes because people have said this. People have said ‘to get the correct recognition commensurate with the quality of his career, a good player needs a parade or other public function, at minimum a key to the city presentation, to justify his status within the lore of Australian Football.’

People haven’t just said ‘he seems to fly under the radar a bit in general.’

Yes because people have said this. People have said ‘to get the correct recognition commensurate with the quality of his career, a good player needs a parade or other public function, at minimum a key to the city presentation, to justify his status within the lore of Australian Football.’

People haven’t just said ‘he seems to fly under the radar a bit in general.’
He flew under the radar... all the way to six AAs? How is that "under the radar"? His quality was acknowledged over and over. He's probably the most decorated medium defender of the past 30 years.

But nah tell me about the vibe.

Can you give me an example of a player who was definitively not under-rated?

Last edited:
He flew under the radar... all the way to six AAs? How is that "under the radar"? His quality was acknowledged over and over. He's probably the most decorated medium defender of the past 30 years.

But nah tell me about the vibe.

We.

Don’t.

Select.

All.

Australian.

Teams.

The average man doesn’t keep tabs on the amount of AA or Coleman’s or whatever unless it is put in bright lights. There is a reason you had no idea that Bradshaw was as prolific compared to brown as he was (don’t pretend you knew, it was fairly obvious you didn’t - and that’s ok because a lot of people wouldn’t realise it). Because the media never pumped him up, fans never pumped him up. Do many people know that Danger has a cupboard full of AA jerseys? Yes, because we are reminded every five minutes by whatever fawning media figure is mentioning it at the time. As a consequence no one is going to say he’s underrated.

Are you going to take your one man crusade to the federal political arena next?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We.

Don’t.

Select.

All.

Australian.

Teams.

The average man doesn’t keep tabs on the amount of AA or Coleman’s or whatever unless it is put in bright lights. There is a reason you had no idea that Bradshaw was as prolific compared to brown as he was (don’t pretend you knew, it was fairly obvious you didn’t - and that’s ok because a lot of people wouldn’t realise it). Because the media never pumped him up, fans never pumped him up. Do many people know that Danger has a cupboard full of AA jerseys? Yes, because we are reminded every five minutes by whatever fawning media figure is mentioning it at the time. As a consequence no one is going to say he’s underrated.

Are you going to take your one man crusade to the federal political arena next?

It's cute how you put the words on different lines. It's like teenage girls making an acrostic out of the letters in their friend's name to celebrate her birthday.

It's cute how you put the words on different lines. It's like teenage girls making an acrostic out of the letters in their friend's name to celebrate her birthday.

I just did. Patrick Dangerfield.

Your observation of the layout of my post has enhanced the strength and logic of your argument tenfold and suddenly I feel like you’re definition of underrated is a lot more meaningful.

The way you accused me of drifting into irrelevance for drawing a parallel with another sport and then used the presentation of my post to support your standpoint has thoroughly dashed the hopes of anyone seeking to combat your dangerously accurate interpretation of what can and can’t constitute underrating

That is everyone’s argument for anyone who’s ever being discussed in an ‘underrated player’ discussion except the all seeing oracle from the west.
So it's absurd.

You say Dangerfield is definitively not under-rated. But I say "nah, the vibe I get is that a lot of people think he's not as good as he is, so he's under-rated".

And there's no way for you to counter that reasonably? If someone says a player is under-rated, there's simply no rebuttal available to anyone? That claim is completely unfalsifiable?

It really just demonstrates that the whole under-rated/over-rated meme is one of the most idiotic things around. Particularly if it all depends on "the vibe" and facts don't enter into it.

So it's absurd.

You say Dangerfield is definitively not under-rated. But I say "nah, the vibe I get is that a lot of people think he's not as good as he is, so he's under-rated".

And there's no way for you to counter that reasonably? If someone says a player is under-rated, there's simply no rebuttal available to anyone? That claim is completely unfalsifiable?

It really just demonstrates that the whole under-rated/over-rated meme is one of the most idiotic things around. Particularly if it all depends on "the vibe" and facts don't enter into it.

My counter would be that his reputation among afl fans and media is commensurate with his standing in the game. People know he’s a gun, acknowledge it, acknowledge his couple of weaknesses and aside from the disparity between those who actually like him and those who don’t, I would suggest that the majority of football followers judge him close to where he should be judged

My counter would be that his reputation among afl fans and media is commensurate with his standing in the game.
Based on what? That's not the vibe I get.

Do facts enter into this discussion at all? Or do you not have time for such things?

People know he’s a gun, acknowledge it, acknowledge his couple of weaknesses and aside from the disparity between those who actually like him and those who don’t, I would suggest that the majority of football followers judge him close to where he should be judged
But Enright being AA six times is insufficient acknowledgement?

Based on what? That's not the vibe I get.

Do facts enter into this discussion at all? Or do you not have time for such things?

But Enright being AA six times is insufficient acknowledgement?

Did this forum give Enright his AA guernseys? Did the media outlets give them to him? Just answer the question. Do these accolades, or do they not, come from the people you come into contact in a footballing context on a regular basis.

Yes or no.

F*** you must be fun at parties.

‘I thought The Shape of Water was a pretty underrated film.’
‘It won best picture.’
‘But f*** all people saw it so not many people realise just how good it is.’
‘It won best picture.’
‘Ok. Goodnight.’

By 10 guys in a boardroom.
It is official acknowledgement, six times. What more do you want?

And let's not pretend that there's not a ton of acknowledgement in media and commentary circles that comes with that. He's basically the most decorated medium defender of the past 30 years. But no, that's still insufficient!

What are you smoking?

Oh well that’s everybody then.
In your imagination, how do you get to a point where "everyone" acknowledges something?

I love that you’re so fixated on Enright like he is the key to all this and that some sort of inherent Geelong bias is driving the argument that you’re contending with.
It's certainly a shining example. Claiming he's under-rated despite being AA six times is absurd.

Basically, you could pick a player at random. I could claim he's under-rated, based on "the vibe". And there would be no argument available to you based on facts, unless "everyone" acknowledges they were awesome.

Think how dumb that is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back