Best 22 - Most Underrated Players of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda has too many underrated champions, probably due to the guernsey they wore. I could create a team of underrated players just from St Kilda's history!

But during modern times...

People would say Robert Harvey isn't underrated. However, in the Voss, Buckley, Hird discussion some people don't even consider Harvey. So for this reason I put him in the "underrated" category, because I think he's eclipses those guys. I think him being excluded by some is largely due to him not being in the media and living a quiet life, and of course just because he played for St Kilda. The same argument for Plugger not being the greatest player of all time, don't be stupid, of course he is.

At the end of 1999, Harvey and Carey were voted the top 2 players of the 90s, but people forget. Also, because he endured longer than most, he's often remembered as the 37 year old man running around, instead of the dynamic star he was in his prime (which also lasted longer than most).

By the end of 1989 he was regularly clocking up 30+ disposals, bagged 11 goals in the last six games and knotched up Brownlow votes in a couple of matches... he was still only 17 years old!!
When he was 19 years old he'd already clocked up 57 games, 17 brownlow votes, and 600 disposals in a season!! But people forget.
Battled hammies his whole career, came back from a knee reco, and was still hitting up teammates with 500 disposals in his final season at 37 years of age.

He was the fittest player of his time, no one ran more kms. I can't remember a single minute of a match where I thought geez Harvey is off today, he gave everything for 383 matches. No one has done it at a higher standard for longer.

After picking up a muddy ball at full speed, left or right, by hand or foot, after shrugging off three or four wouldbe tacklers, Harvey would hit you on the tit without fail or goal himself. "You couldn't tackle him in a phonebox" as David Parkin said.

People tend to forget quickly if they aren't constantly reminded by the media.

St Kilda has too many underrated champions, probably due to the guernsey they wore. I could create a team of underrated players just from St Kilda's history!
Maybe St Kilda are underrated not their players, Robert Harvey may not have played as many games as Brent Harvey, but he is
easily the best Harvey. The Robert Harvey versus Shane Crawford match up was the endurance match up of the time.

Harvey and Crawford are opposites post footy. Harvey is a low profile guy with zero media profile, Crawford is a professional goose. Both could seriously play.

Also Crawford spent most of his career in unsuccessful Hawthorn sides and Harvey spent his whole career at St Kilda who are an unsuccessful club. Hird and Voss played in multiple flags, Buckley was a bigger loser than any of them (42% win rate) but played in two GFs and won a Norm Smith in his prime. People don't tend to talk about Hawthorn stars of the 90s and 2000s, or St Kilda, as much as they do about the 3peat Lions, Essendon Baby Bombers and Dan26 2000 Bombers etc.

People would say Robert Harvey isn't underrated. However, in the Voss, Buckley, Hird discussion some people don't even consider Harvey. So for this reason I put him in the "underrated" category, because I think he's eclipses those guys. I think him being excluded by some is largely due to him not being in the media and living a quiet life, and of course just because he played for St Kilda. The same argument for Plugger not being the greatest player of all time, don't be stupid, of course he is.

At the end of 1999, Harvey and Carey were voted the top 2 players of the 90s, but people forget. Also, because he endured longer than most, he's often remembered as the 37 year old man running around, instead of the dynamic star he was in his prime (which also lasted longer than most).

By the end of 1989 he was regularly clocking up 30+ disposals, bagged 11 goals in the last six games and knotched up Brownlow votes in a couple of matches... he was still only 17 years old!!
When he was 19 years old he'd already clocked up 57 games, 17 brownlow votes, and 600 disposals in a season!! But people forget.
Battled hammies his whole career, came back from a knee reco, and was still hitting up teammates with 500 disposals in his final season at 37 years of age.

He was the fittest player of his time, no one ran more kms. I can't remember a single minute of a match where I thought geez Harvey is off today, he gave everything for 383 matches. No one has done it at a higher standard for longer.

After picking up a muddy ball at full speed, left or right, by hand or foot, after shrugging off three or four wouldbe tacklers, Harvey would hit you on the tit without fail or goal himself. "You couldn't tackle him in a phonebox" as David Parkin said.

For me he was the best of the lot, close with Voss. Could do things no other player would dream off, and he did them so often that people just expected it, like it was no big deal. His step, speed off the mark and agility easily the best of all time. Been looking for ages for a decent Harvey highlights, thanks.

Chris Johnson - Gary Pert - James Clement
Andrew McKay - Chris Mew - Nigel Lappin
Craig Bradley - Paul Couch - Stuart Maxfield (c)
Brett Allison - Lance Whitnall - Mark Mercuri
Gary Wilson - Sim Beasley - Peter McKenna
Mark Lee (vc) - Rod Ashman - Mark Bairstow

Leon Baker - Corey McKernan - Matthew Knights - Tony McGuinness

My take on players of yesteryear who were elite in their positions but not often mentioned in discussions of such kind.

Darren Glass
PHENOMENAL defender but his career coincided with both Matthew Scarlett and Alex Rance without the mystique or media presence of the other two. Too easily forgotten.

This is a good one. I thought he was the best traditional full back of the era because it seemed he was more often left exposed to one v ones due to WC's style and still delivered. Scarlett, Rutten and Rance (though he was a bit later) had a lot more help.

Others that come to mind:
  • Tredrea was better than Jono Brown but you wouldn't know it listening to the media.
  • Marc Murphy was bloody awesome for a while but seems to cop a lot of stick now.
  • Whitnall is regarded as a bit of a joke these days but he was brilliant early in his career.
  • Anthony Stevens. Absolute gun for a long time but never seems to get mentioned outside of the Carey thing.
For my team:
  • Scott Lucas, especially in the couple years he played CHB. Who even remembers this?
  • Dustin Fletcher. Way ahead of his time as he was elite at rebounding with 60m bullets, defending one on one and bailing out teammates as 3rd man up, but he copped crap from dinosaurs in the media because he didn't fit their idea of a traditional full back. Now any player who can do only one of the things he did as well he did it is considered a star.

St Kilda Underrated "Team of last night" lots of apologies, but this team is St Kilda.

B: Steven Baker, Jamie Shanahan, Jason Blake.
HB: David Grant, Max Hudghton, Brett Voss.
C: Austinn Jones, Greg Burns, Geoff Cunningham.
HF: Rod Owen, Stewart Leowe, Jack Billings.
F: Kevin Neale, Fraser Gehrig, Stephen Milne.

Followers: Peter Everitt, Lenny Hayes, Paul Callery.

I/C: Gary Colling, Bruce Douperouzel, Stuart Trott, Trevor Barker.

It's 2.35 pm and i have nothing better to do North Melbourne Underrated Team of 2.35 pm.

Apologies you can't all make the 2.35 pm team.

B: Byron Pickett, David Dench, John Law.
HB: Michael Firrito, Robbie Tarrant, Glenn Archer.
C: Wayne Schimmelbusch, Matthew Larkin, Keith Greig.
HF: Corey Jones, Stephen McCann, Craig Sholl.
F: Lindsay Thomas, John Longmire, Corey McKernan.

Foll: Todd Goldstein, Peter German, Anthony Stevens.

I/C: Daniel Wells, Jim Krakouer, Phil Krakouer, Adam Simpson.

Harvey is always brought up as the best player to never win a flag. I think he is and has always been highly rated as one of the best ever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Folks,

Currently bored at work and was discussing with a colleague the most underrated players in our time watching footy. Reeling off so many names got me thinking of what a best 22 would look like. Decided to have a crack at a team. Note that this team is comprised of players in my time watching footy (starting circa. 1994) and as with anything like this, very subjective. Here goes:

B: Ben Hart, Max Hudghton, Sean Wellman
HB: Chris Johnson, Justin Leppitsch , Simon Goodwin
C: Nigel Lappin, Garry Hocking, Wayne Schwass
HF: Mark Mercuri, Scott Lucas, Chris Lewis
F: Craig McRae, Sav Rocca, Phil Matera
R: Brad Ottens ,Adam Simpson, Brett Ratten

Int: Dean Kemp, Nigel Smart, Peter Sumich, Joel Corey

Interested to hear people's thoughts and keen to check others' teams out.

That team is full of stars.
The backline alone is sensational. Spine is brilliant.

I'll pay Phil Matera, Craig McRae and perhaps Wellman as underrated, but the rest have never been.

I would think Darren Glass and Ashley McIntosh could never be underrated, more players like Michael Brennan and Will Schofield, but
it does come down to who is underrating them because there is a fair out of mind out of sight argument that most WA players would
rate a lot higher in the West than on they do on the East. Underrated is so underrated.
Michael Brennan is still attached to Jason Dunstall from the 1992 Elimination Final... scandalous what he got away with that day.

Hey Folks,

Currently bored at work and was discussing with a colleague the most underrated players in our time watching footy. Reeling off so many names got me thinking of what a best 22 would look like. Decided to have a crack at a team. Note that this team is comprised of players in my time watching footy (starting circa. 1994) and as with anything like this, very subjective. Here goes:

B: Ben Hart, Max Hudghton, Sean Wellman
HB: Chris Johnson, Justin Leppitsch , Simon Goodwin
C: Nigel Lappin, Garry Hocking, Wayne Schwass
HF: Mark Mercuri, Scott Lucas, Chris Lewis
F: Craig McRae, Sav Rocca, Phil Matera
R: Brad Ottens ,Adam Simpson, Brett Ratten

Int: Dean Kemp, Nigel Smart, Peter Sumich, Joel Corey

Interested to hear people's thoughts and keen to check others' teams out.
Great thread, and I reckon I’d agree with 90% of your own selections.

Not much coming out of Tigerland in the 35 years leading up to 2017 - they’ve either been over-rated or occasionally suitably-rated. But Kane Lambert is a modern player who could probably nudge out Schwass, who was brilliant but also got plenty of plaudits from the media and public. I might have John Blakey in ahead of Chris Johnson too.

Fleemantle, fleeing is underrated. The original song was so bad, used it as a form of constipation relief.

B: Scott Chisholm, Leigh Brown, Brett Peake.
HB: Hayden Crozier, James Clement, Steven Koops.
C: Chris Mayne, Brodie Holland, Brad Hill.
HF: Paul Medhurst, Daniel Bandy, Jess Sinclair.
F: Winston Abraham, Kingsley Hunter, Rhys Palmer.

Foll: Jeff White, Matt De Boer, Lachie Neale.

I/C: Sam Menegola, Lachie Weller, Ed Langdon, Gary Dhurrkay.

Stiff, but still underrated Troy Simmonds (The reptile man).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back