Prediction Best 22 of the Future (Post-Rebuild)

Remove this Banner Ad

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Presuming we wipe out the guys 27+ on our list what does our B/22 look like, presuming the younger ones have hit the ceilings we can reasonably expect them to?

There's been some doubts raised over how the rebuild is going, so I thought this might be a fun exercise to see what pieces we've been accumulating and what we are expecting from them. This is the best I can come up with regarding the players we currently have on the list:

FB: Hughes, Pearce (c), Duman

HB: Young, Logue, Ryan

C: Aish, Valente, Acres

HF: Sturt, Hogan, Serong

FF: Henry, Cox, Switkowski

R: Darcy, Tucker, Brayshaw

I/C: Blakely, Banfield, Cerra, Watson

Some notes:

1. Cox goes forward because he's a swingman and we have slightly more young KPDs I rate on our list then forwards. I do like what he's produced as a defender though, and I'd be more comfortable using him as a KPD and letting Logue be the third tall forward. We'll need Dixon or O'Reilly to show something as KPFs or to draft one for that.
  2. Our small forward stocks aren't brilliant. Henry hasn't played a game yet, Switta struggles in the goalkicking department, and Banfield (despite this forum generally not rating him) makes it in as a pressure forward by default. In this team Serong has to play a Fwd/Mid role to have 7 players to rotate through the forwardline.
  3. Our outside midfield stocks when you include younger players like Giro and Frederick aren't terrible, but obviously these players haven't showed themselves to be AFL level yet. Cerra makes it in this team on the bench to rotate through that wing spot, and Aish and Acres both there because they're only 24 and have runs on the board as AFL players.
  4. Outside of our KPDs Ryan and Young have both shown serious potential (in the case of Ryan having some significant runs on the board) as players who can intercept and then rebound out of defense. Duman and Hughes are the established younger (non-KPD) defenders, whereas Watson pips Pina for that I/C spot due to recent claims that he isn't far off an AFL debut.
How far off base am I? How enthusiastic should we be about the younger talent we have?

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
FB: (tbd), Pearce (c), Grainger-Barrass

HB:
Young, Logue, Ryan

C: Aish, P Cripps, Acres

HF: Sturt, Hogan, Serong

FF: Henry, McCarthy, Switkowski

R: Darcy, Tucker, Brayshaw

I/C: Blakely, Banfield, Cerra, Cox

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There is a fair bit of moaning about our list at the moment but your post highlights some depth emerging. For sure considering players like Pina and Fredericks is massively speculative, but they are hitting areas we need to improve and must fast track. Not so different from Valente, Henry or Serong at this stage.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
There is a fair bit of moaning about our list at the moment but your post highlights some depth emerging. For sure considering players like Pina and Fredericks is massively speculative, but they are hitting areas we need to improve and must fast track. Not so different from Valente, Henry or Serong at this stage.

TBF Sturt as well is currently a one-hit wonder. I'm pretty bullish on him to be a solid forward for us, but what probably hurts is the amount of young players I had to judge on potential (Valente, Sturt, Serong, Henry and Watson, and to a lesser extent Young, Brayshaw and Cerra) rather then what they've produced so far.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Was thinking bout this the other night, in 5-ish years

FB: B.Walker/A.Pearce/J.Pina
HB: H.Young/G.Logue/L.Ryan

C: A.Cerra/L.Valente/J.Aish

HF: E.Hollands/J.Hogan/L.Henry
FF: K.Farmer/B.Cox/N.Fyfe

RR: S.Darcy/D.Tucker/C.Serong

INT: C.Serong/M.Walters/S.Sturt/tbd

A few NGA kids to potentially come along; Kobe Farmer, Joel Western, Dallas McAdam, Conrad Williams, Riley Colborne, Jesse Motlop

I think if we end up with a top 2 pick this year we'll take Hollands, played with Serong and Young last year too.

Good chance we could trade in a Narkle/Sam Taylor/Petrevski-Seton in the next few years, don't think we'll see a Cripps type addition.

Weakest area is still the forward line, if Josh Cripps is really playing as a tall forward (despite him doing his ACL for this year), wouldn't mind having him on our radar next year

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting post. I think post rebuild, you are looking at a 2022 timeframe onwards. Some of the players named won’t be on the list by then. Fyfe should be included. I would hope he plays for us until he’s 35. Likewise with Sonny. When you have a once in 100 year player like Fyfe, you don’t put him on the scrap heap at 30. Could get 5 years as an elite KPF out of him still. Would also be hoping that first and second round picks from 2020 and 2021 would be a part of this group post rebuild, as well as the NGA talent mentioned in the previous post.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Interesting post. I think post rebuild, you are looking at a 2022 timeframe onwards. Some of the players named won’t be on the list by then. Fyfe should be included. I would hope he plays for us until he’s 35. Likewise with Sonny. When you have a once in 100 year player like Fyfe, you don’t put him on the scrap heap at 30. Could get 5 years as an elite KPF out of him still. Would also be hoping that first and second round picks from 2020 and 2021 would be a part of this group post rebuild, as well as the NGA talent mentioned in the previous post.

Ideally we get to keep some of our +27 players in 2022 or 2023. If guys like Fyfe, Hamling and Walters are still going strong we should absolutely keep them, and I'm not expecting our older players to be done. Only problem is these guys are getting older, and if you look to our good mates at Lathlain they're seeing with some of their players like Hurn that good players can decline very quickly when Father Time catches them, which is why I'm interested in who we have to replace all our older players regardless of who we get to keep as they get old.

On the flip side I expect our 2023 premiership team will include players we draft over the next few years, but outside of our NGA's (Walker, Western, Farmer, etc.) it's impossible to tell who we'll actually be grabbing. Plus without including these players you get a bit of picture of where our future holes are.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

A few NGA kids to potentially come along; Kobe Farmer, Joel Western, Dallas McAdam, Conrad Williams, Riley Colborne, Jesse Motlop

I think if we end up with a top 2 pick this year we'll take Hollands, played with Serong and Young last year too.

Good chance we could trade in a Narkle/Sam Taylor/Petrevski-Seton in the next few years, don't think we'll see a Cripps type addition.

Weakest area is still the forward line, if Josh Cripps is really playing as a tall forward (despite him doing his ACL for this year), wouldn't mind having him on our radar next year
Interesting team

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
H

Holland’s did his ACL. Supposedly a class act but I don’t want Freo gambling a top 5 pick on an 18 yo with a knee reconstruction. Just no!!

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs

2 Serongs, so I assume one can become Cerra
Otherwise, I like it

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

~2023 team (based on players we currently have)
B: Logue - Hamling - Ryan
HB: Young - Pearce - Aish
C: Fredericks - Serong - Acres
HF: Henry - Hogan - Sturt
F: Fyfe - Lobb - Walters
Foll: Darcy - Brayshaw - Cerra
Int: Tucker - Cox - Valente - Blakely

-Think it’s not too widely optimistic to have both Fyfe and Walters going around by then (admittedly playing mostly forward at that point, some pinch hitting in the middle (e.g Pav around 13/14/15 was forward but would occasionally go in for a centre bounce)
- Not factoring in potential draftees/NGA/father son players, hopefully Farmer kicks on, Western suddenly grows a bit and Walker develops
- Small forwards absolutely need improvement, Switta would be the next man in, but aside from that there’s no other options (would be very surprised if Matera and Schultz both make it to 2023, would love for Thomas and Butters to kick on)
- Given Lobb came to footy late (20/21), might be able to go on for a bit longer?
- Haven’t seen any of him, but based on the reports someone like Trew would round out the midfield really nicely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've tried to go realistic 2023 side with acknowledgement of area's to fill

Bolded are ones that could be AA in their position by then

Logue - Hamling - Ryan
Young - Pearce - XX
XX - Serong - Aish
Henry - Hogan - Sturt
Fyfe - Tabs - Walters

Darcy - AB - Cerra

Tucker - Acres - XX - XX

By far and away our biggest problem to me is going to be the midfield coming on, AB and Cerra have to become A graders by then and we probably need one of Valente, our draft pick this year and Acres to also show they live up to potential. The backline and forwardline have enough talent to be elite for the next 5 years, provided they can get on the ******* park together

I've included Tabs over Lobb because there is no room for another tall forward with Fyfe and Sturt and Tabs is the better pure forward.

Looking at this, if we want to be a force in 2023, we probably need to hope we hit midfield gold with our first pick this year and our KPP's stay on the ******* park

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
You can't predict the future but just to add something a bit different....

Pearce Logue Ryan
Young Cox Walker
Aish Acres Frederick
Brayshaw Sturt McCarthy
Lobb Hogan Henry

Darcy Serong Cerra
Tucker Colborne Butters Valente

Remove this Banner Ad

Back