Competitions Best 22 of the last 30 years

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
We don't have a lot of out and out wingmen. Plonked Sloane and Edwards there just to get them into the team but they hardly played there. Mattner 2005 and Tregenza 1993 our only proper ones? Seedsman 2021

No Caven or Bock made CHB difficult. Made the Talia vs Rutten call easier though.

Second ruck tricky but Pitiful Pittman's versatility won me over

F Betts Modra Walker
HF D Jarman M Stevens Burton
C Edwards Dangerfield Sloane
HB McLeod Talia Smart
B Hart Rutten Johncock
1R Rehn Ricciuto Goodwin
INT Thompson Porplyzia Bassett Pittman

Looking at a few line ups has Birdbrain & Notso's admin careers affected their standing as players?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I guess it's your list.

But for the record, Stevens' best two years (01-02) he kicked a combined 59 goals.

Tippett with 101 across 2009-10
Check Stevens' Best & Fairest ratings

We don't have a lot of out and out wingmen. Plonked Sloane and Edwards there just to get them into the team but they hardly played there. Mattner 2005 and Tregenza 1993 our only proper ones? Seedsman 2021

No Caven or Bock made CHB difficult. Made the Talia vs Rutten call easier though.

Second ruck tricky but Pitiful Pittman's versatility won me over

F Betts Modra Walker
HF D Jarman M Stevens Burton
C Edwards Dangerfield Sloane
HB McLeod Talia Smart
B Hart Rutten Johncock
1R Rehn Ricciuto Goodwin
INT Thompson Porplyzia Bassett Pittman

Looking at a few line ups has Birdbrain & Notso's admin careers affected their standing as players?
Smart was a good player but Burton wasn't nearly consistent enough to make this team

Over who as a genuine forward or half forward?

Jarman, Modra, Betts, Walker, Tippett, Welsh all ahead, there's probably a few others.

He's more in the Jenkins, Porplyzia, Lynch tier

Dangerfield would get a game on half forward as well in this team given the strength of the midfield options

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
B: Hart, Rutten, Stiffy
HB: McLeod, Smart, Laird
C: Edwards, Goodwin, Sloane
HF: Dangerfield, Tex, D Jarman
F: Betts, Modra, Porplyzia
R: Rehn, Roo, Thompson
I/C: Bickley, A Jarman, Jacobs, Talia

Toughest toss-ups were Porplyzia vs Welsh and Jacobs vs Pittman. Could've gone either way

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Jarman, Modra, Betts, Walker, Tippett, Welsh all ahead, there's probably a few others.

He's more in the Jenkins, Porplyzia, Lynch tier

Dangerfield would get a game on half forward as well in this team given the strength of the midfield options
I've picked most of those guys

Welsh was more a FF and doesn't play ahead of Modra or Walker

ContrarianCrow

All Australian
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
No love for Peter Vardy? Was an excitement machine up forward for us.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
48EFDDDD-2AAA-4367-AEBF-F4A29BA52241.jpeg
Most pick themselves on-field, Laird certainly pressing for an on-field spot, that last interchange spot is tough, went McDermott over a Porplyzia/Jacobs/Bassett, mostly because of his quite ridiculous 1992 All-Australian season to go with the hard yards he put in in the early years, similar to McGuinness who also should never be excluded after being the team’s most dominant player in the early years.

Agree Drugs Are Bad Mackay?, that some on here not selecting Smart and Burton due to post playing career shitness and their weird off-putting personalities, both were extreme X-factor talents that played well in ridiculously difficult positions all over the ground, Burton’s injury proneness and the fact his robotic movement and decision making made it feel like he was built as a science experiment by Neil Craig in an underground lab shouldn’t take away from some astounding games he played, especially in some tough finals losses where others disappeared, that final against Brisbane in 2003 was remarkable when he had 22 & kicked 4 goals with one of the greatest ever team’s and coach’s having no answer for him at all.

Saw they gave Porplyzia 50 extra games by mixing his games with his goals also some dodginess too with the available players, Doughty and Matthew Clarke on there instead of the likes of Bock, Vardy and Smith ect. 🤔

Last edited:

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
TBH I find it a little surprising that so many people instinctively put Andrew McLeod on the HBF, when he clearly played his best footy in the middle.

I take nothing away from his time as an Elite HBFer, but if I am choosing the best ever Crows team, A. McLeod is my starting Rover every day of the fricken week!

Jenkins and Porps do not fit in a tier together.

In terms of talent, Porplyzia was the better player, but he really only had a couple of good seasons (08-09), beyond that he was inconsistent and struggled with injury.

Jenkins was less talented but surprisingly consistent. People s**t on his Joe the Goose goals but he managed five 40 goal seasons in a row all averaging 2 goals a game.

Personally I would have them both in a reserves best 22

ContrarianCrow

All Australian
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
In terms of talent, Porplyzia was the better player, but he really only had a couple of good seasons (08-09), beyond that he was inconsistent and struggled with injury.

Jenkins was less talented but surprisingly consistent. People sh*t on his Joe the Goose goals but he managed five 40 goal seasons in a row all averaging 2 goals a game.

Personally I would have them both in a reserves best 22

That would be an interesting exercise in itself - a lot of our best 22 are HOF-worthy, absolute locks. The 2nd 22 would bring up some more interesting arguments.

ContrarianCrow

All Australian
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
FWIW:

1st 22

B: Hart, Rutten, Johncock
HB: Smart, Talia, Mcleod
C: Edwards, Thompson, Sloane
HF: Welsh, Walker, Dangerfield
F: D. Jarman, Modra, Betts
R: Rehn, Ricciuto, Goodwin
I: Bickley, Laird, M. Stevens, McGuinness

2nd 22

B: Bassett, Bock, Brown
HB: Smith, Caven, Doughty
C: Douglas, Vince, Burton
HF: Lynch, Robran, Vardy
F: Bond, Tippett, Porplyzia
R: Jacobs, M. Crouch, McDermott
I: Van Berlo, K. Johnson, Pittman, A. Jarman

McGregor probably the stiffest to miss overall. Feels like I'm missing some of the inaugural Crows but found them harder to rank as a lot were nearing the end of their careers and was reliant on the judgement of an 8 year old.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Probably go against what I said earlier but I have some time to kill after my Pfizer jab.

More a team of favourites over absolute best.

Johncock Rutten Hart
Smithers Talia McLeod
Koster Danger Edwards
Porps Walker D Jarman
Betts Modra Tippett

Rehn Roo Thommo

Int Jacobs Goodwin Bassett Robran

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
TBH I find it a little surprising that so many people instinctively put Andrew McLeod on the HBF, when he clearly played his best footy in the middle.

I take nothing away from his time as an Elite HBFer, but if I am choosing the best ever Crows team, A. McLeod is my starting Rover every day of the fricken week!

He won his first B&F playing off half back in 1997. As a HBF, he defended like a glove as well as being a wonderful rebounder. He was just elite in any role.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He won his first B&F playing off half back in 1997. As a HBF, he defended like a glove as well as being a wonderful rebounder. He was just elite in any role.
I have no problem saying he was an elite HBFer, I just think he was an even better midfielder. To put it in perspective if I could choose 1 player to insert into our team today of prime Danger, Roo or Bunji I would take Bunji alllllllll day long!

And I sure as hell wouldn't put him on the Half Back line.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Anyone that doesn't have Nigel Smart in their team is bringing personalities into it.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Would have been an all time great midfielder if not for the bone-on-bone knee issue. His finals cameos were unrivalled

As it was he played 80+% of his 1997-2010 football on the HBF

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
1629170303566.png

Here is my team, Welsh in the forward pocket is probably the only one I would change, but it wasn't giving me any other options I thought were more deserving.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
100% this - watching him stream off the half-back line was a joy to behold. Pretty impressive goalscoring record as well for a guy that played mostly in defence.
He was our go-to forward line wildcard in finals

Back