Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it was almost embarrasing seeing some half backs streaking away from us. Some of our turnovers were also embarrasing. Incidents of patients with a stabbed hand must have been thru the roof at the alfred!!
We had the highest proportion of points conceded from chains from oppos defense in the league last year.....Kent, Long & Lonie on the field together will help change that - likewise Parker but getting all 4 in the 22 is problematic....

We had the highest proportion of points conceded from chains from oppos defense in the league last year.....Kent, Long & Lonie on the field together will help change that - likewise Parker but getting all 4 in the 22 is problematic....

To be honest some of our kicks into 50 seemed to be going straight to the defender, so i don't know what the small forwards were going to do about that.

Geary is a very good defender, people can question his captaincy but he's very good at what he does. His form dropped away at times but he was playing his role well still.

I assume the role you are talking about is a lock down type role? How many of the top teams continue to carry a small lock down player in the back 6? One of the reasons Geary is rated highly in the AFL in this role is because there are not many of them.

Nowadays, if you are a small that can't break lines and pinpoint the footy out of defense you are a liability.

Last edited:

It’s really time that guys like Acres , !!

Surely this is Acres last break out year. After being recruited in 13 and failing to break out in 16,17 and 18, I suspect that by the end of 19 the Acres fan bois will finally throw in the towel.

Of course I fully expect him the play blinders in rounds 1 and 2 this year.

A

Guys that are close to A grade (some on unrealised potential at this stage)
Stuv
Seb
Steele
Membrey
Webster
Carlisle
Gresham
Billings
Roberton
Hanners

I'd love to know what your definition of A grade is. Most premiership teams don't have more than 5 or 6 A graders and here we are, 16th place and 4 wins and we have 10 players close to A grade.

In reality we have 1 (and he comes with flaws) in Stuv. Carlisle is close. Hanners at his best - yes. Gresham could get there. The rest are miles from it and it is this massive overrating of our list that sets us up for such huge disappointment.

This is what I think will make the difference to us this year - we potentially have pace on every line. Lack of it has killed us for 11 years - for the first time in that period I feel like we could field a genuinely quick team.

To be honest some of our kicks into 50 seemed to be going straight to the defender, so i don't know what the small forwards were going to do about that.
Reduce the damage of the poor entries by getting to the defender, manning up quicker to make it harder to transition, allow the key forwards to try knock downs more as hopefully they'll be in the frame to collect groundballs....

Agree though that plan A should be to produce better entries in the first place....

Reduce the damage of the poor entries by getting to the defender, manning up quicker to make it harder to transition, allow the key forwards to try knock downs more as hopefully they'll be in the frame to collect groundballs....

Agree though that plan A should be to produce better entries in the first place....

So forwards bust their guts, running from their opponent to get open air.... only to find that we've kicked it to Heath Shaw , now he needs to cover all that ground to get back to Heath and block him? Though if Heath marks it, there's bugger all that you can do with your forward pressure, he's going to kick the bloody thing back to the middle.
I conclude that we are far better to kick it to our guys.

Logic would suggest ...kick it to our forward = mark it or contest it, if it gets to ground crumb it, or if it looks like opponent will get it, block/tackle opponent.

It IS possible to do a reverse tag but not more than one surely.

This is what I think will make the difference to us this year - we potentially have pace on every line. Lack of it has killed us for 11 years - for the first time in that period I feel like we could field a genuinely quick team.

Pace, pace, and then more pace. That could be our point of difference this year.

Last year we continued to gift games to one-paced players like Newnes, Armitage, Weller, Dunstan and an aging Gilbert. They were courageous and hard-working without doubt.

But if we could swap those players for some guys with express pace we could become a team that is really hard to combat.

For the early rounds at least, I would be considering more of our “ballistic” type of running players such as Long, Parker, McKenzie, Hind and Kent.

If we can set the tone from game one we could develop into one of the most dynamic sides in the comp.

Are the selectors willing to to roll the dice?

Pace, pace, and then more pace. That could be our point of difference this year.

Last year we continued to gift games to one-paced players like Newnes, Armitage, Weller, Dunstan and an aging Gilbert. They were courageous and hard-working without doubt.

But if we could swap those players for some guys with express pace we could become a team that is really hard to combat.

For the early rounds at least, I would be considering more of our “ballistic” type of running players such as Long, Parker, McKenzie, Hind and Kent.

If we can set the tone from game one we could develop into one of the most dynamic sides in the comp.

Are the selectors willing to to roll the dice?
I sincerely hope so but I reckon Newnes will still play, as will Sav due to the new rules and the fact they are older players with experience.

It's one thing to bring in fresh blood, it's another to bring in too much without senior experience.

I'd love to know what your definition of A grade is. Most premiership teams don't have more than 5 or 6 A graders and here we are, 16th place and 4 wins and we have 10 players close to A grade.

In reality we have 1 (and he comes with flaws) in Stuv. Carlisle is close. Hanners at his best - yes. Gresham could get there. The rest are miles from it and it is this massive overrating of our list that sets us up for such huge disappointment.
The rest are miles from it!?

In Roberton's last full season he made the AA squad, which means he was in the best handful in his position in the league. Miles from A-grade and a massive overrating? :think:

Seb had a poor year last year, but the year before- when he was at his best- he was top 10 in the coaches votes, made the AA squad, and got from memory 14 Brownlow votes. You don't do any of those things if you're "Miles off A-grade"!

Billings for his role (HHF) is well and truly on the verge of "A-grade", when he's at his best (which he again clearly wasn't last year, especially the first half), because his disposal numbers by position are not only elite, but no.1 in the comp, and a big gap to the next best, and he's in the top handful in the comp for goal assists, which is one of the most important stats in the game.

Skunk has had a season of 44 goals from just 17 games, and once he got his s**t together last year (post-yips), he went at over two goals a game, in a rubbish team. This year he hopefully goes back to the "3rd-banana marking" role, and how many are better than him at that in the comp? Darling is the only similar type who comes readily to mind as currently better.

Steele is ranked in the top 60 in the league in the AFL's own official ratings, because he is ELITE defensively and by the end of last year was also racking up the touches and so-on. For what he does (tagging/going head-to-head with the best in the opposing midfield) he was arguably already playing at an A-grade level by the end of last year.

So I don't believe Gringo's anywhere near as far from being on the money as you think (at least if they play at or near their best- of course if those who weren't last year continue not to, then you'd be right) and it's probably why we were on the verge of playing finals two years ago, before the wheels completely fell off last year.

It wasn't Nick and Joey who were winning games for us that year, as neither came top 10 in the B&F, and between them they got a paltry 5 of the 230 or-so coaches votes we were awarded in our last 10 wins that year. Less than 2.5% of the votes.

So we didn't have anyone (or more than one) who was really "elite" that year- but as many in the football community were saying, we had a lot of "B-graders"- which means they're potentially on the verge of being "A-grade". As Gringo said.

Otherwise, with our lack of A-graders", we wouldn't have been anywhere near finals that year and would have been much more like we were last year.

I reckon if you put any of those I mentioned into a really good team and they were playing the sort of footy we know they can play, they'd be regarded a lot more highly than they are now.

But you have Hind and Parker in your squad.
All of the players you listed have probably shown as much in State league footy as Hind and Parker
Hind was very good in the vfl last year and would more than likely have been playing seniors if he were in our list. Named in the best 9 times. But the reason I think he's very likely to play is that he has something we currently don't have. Line breaking speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That article today seems to suggest that Sav is forefront of our plans for kickouts. If so, it means he, Robbo, J-Webb, Gears and presumably D-Mac are pretty much locked in for defence, which leaves no room for a Hind or Coffield, or possibly a Battle/Austin in the 3rd-tall role.

Like the forward line, and midfield too for that matter, there is some serious competition for spots happening.

The rest are miles from it!?

In Roberton's last full season he made the AA squad, which means he was in the best handful in his position in the league. Miles from A-grade and a massive overrating? :think:

Seb had a poor year last year, but the year before- when he was at his best- he was top 10 in the coaches votes, made the AA squad, and got from memory 14 Brownlow votes. You don't do any of those things if you're "Miles off A-grade"!

Billings for his role (HHF) is well and truly on the verge of "A-grade", when he's at his best (which he again clearly wasn't last year, especially the first half), because his disposal numbers by position are not only elite, but no.1 in the comp, and a big gap to the next best, and he's in the top handful in the comp for goal assists, which is one of the most important stats in the game.

Skunk has had a season of 44 goals from just 17 games, and once he got his s**t together last year (post-yips), he went at over two goals a game, in a rubbish team. This year he hopefully goes back to the "3rd-banana marking" role, and how many are better than him at that in the comp? Darling is the only similar type who comes readily to mind as currently better.

Steele is ranked in the top 60 in the league in the AFL's own official ratings, because he is ELITE defensively and by the end of last year was also racking up the touches and so-on. For what he does (tagging/going head-to-head with the best in the opposing midfield) he was arguably already playing at an A-grade level by the end of last year.

So I don't believe Gringo's anywhere near as far from being on the money as you think (at least if they play at or near their best- of course if those who weren't last year continue not to, then you'd be right) and it's probably why we were on the verge of playing finals two years ago, before the wheels completely fell off last year.

It wasn't Nick and Joey who were winning games for us that year, as neither came top 10 in the B&F, and between them they got a paltry 5 of the 230 or-so coaches votes we were awarded in our last 10 wins that year. Less than 2.5% of the votes.

So we didn't have anyone (or more than one) who was really "elite" that year- but as many in the football community were saying, we had a lot of "B-graders"- which means they're potentially on the verge of being "A-grade". As Gringo said.

Otherwise, with our lack of A-graders", we wouldn't have been anywhere near finals that year and would have been much more like we were last year.

I reckon if you put any of those I mentioned into a really good team and they were playing the sort of footy we know they can play, they'd be regarded a lot more highly than they are now.
I think one of the differences between us and the successful teams, is that players in those teams who have good seasons, tend to build on that in the following seasons, but we had too many who just treaded water from late 2017 and through 2018- wasted development and a blight on the coaching at our club. Let's hope this turns around and we see more leadership from the more experienced players.

I assume the role you are talking about is a lock down type role? How many of the top teams continue to carry a small lock down player in the back 6? One of the reasons Geary is rated highly in the AFL in this role is because there are not many of them.

Nowadays, if you are a small that can't break lines and pinpoint the footy out of defense you are a liability.

He does more than lock down though doesn't he. Some players get unfairly criticised for what ever reason. Savage is similar. He was good last year but people like to say Rooey doesn't rate him because of one comment.

That article today seems to suggest that Sav is forefront of our plans for kickouts. If so, it means he, Robbo, J-Webb, Gears and presumably D-Mac are pretty much locked in for defence, which leaves no room for a Hind or Coffield, or possibly a Battle/Austin in the 3rd-tall role.

Like the forward line, and midfield too for that matter, there is some serious competition for spots happening.

Rice and White will be in trouble too.

Rice and White will be in trouble too.
Enormous trouble, unless they seriously step it up. And yet they played 17 games between them last season!

Which I reckon says a lot about how much stronger our "weakest links" have the potential to be this year- if we don't get hard-hit by injuries, or the wheels fall off and we got hard-core back into playing-the-kids mode.

If the likes of Hind and Coffield go well this year, Rice and White may struggle to play a game between them- despite being a year more developed and with the experience of last year's games under their belts.

Enormous trouble, unless they seriously step it up. And yet they played 17 games between them last season!

Which I reckon says a lot about how much stronger our "weakest links" have the potential to be this year- if we don't get hard-hit by injuries, or the wheels fall off and we got hard-core back into playing-the-kids mode.

If the likes of Hind and Coffield go well this year, Rice and White may struggle to play a game between them- despite being a year more developed and with the experience of last year's games under their belts.
Pressure for spots has to come from underneath. Much will depend on the players you mention actually stepping up.

You'd think we intend to play our best players like Coff and give him every opportunity to develop.

Battle is an interesting one. I'd be nervous about throwing him into CHB in round 1. Has zero experience there - would prefer to develop him there through the reserves. Backline will be interesting early on especially if Carlisle doesn't get up.
Brown will also miss round one.

Joyce or Battle?

Brown will also miss round one.

Joyce or Battle?
I would go with Joyce if it were between the two. Roberton first game back too so he will be raw. I'd look at Webster to play a lock-down role. Maybe give Battle a run in a third tall type of role but I'd be nervous. It's kind of funny when you think about it but Gilbo would probably get a run in our Rd 1 team :p

I guess I'm forgetting the JLT games plus intraclub which should give Battle a good run in defence.

What about Austin? Is he injured?

I would go with Joyce if it were between the two. Roberton first game back too so he will be raw. I'd look at Webster to play a lock-down role. Maybe give Battle a run in a third tall type of role but I'd be nervous. It's kind of funny when you think about it but Gilbo would probably get a run in our Rd 1 team :p

I guess I'm forgetting the JLT games plus intraclub which should give Battle a good run in defence.

What about Austin? Is he injured?
The last report on Austin was no contact for 2 weeks, so he isn't ruled out for rd1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back