Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a bit premature for this, so mods feel free to lock / move as required - however, I really don't want to look back on the season, so the only other direction is forward!

Please excuse the crap formatting.

B: Lloyd Goddard Geary
HB: Webster Carlisle Coffield
C: Clark Steele Bruce
HF: Battle Membrey Billings
F: Gresham Marshall Long
Fol: Pierce Ross Steven
I/C: Acres Roberton McCartin Lonie

A few thoughts:

Lloyd a bit cheeky but I hope that the Hanners noise is some Machiavellian plan to be able to generate cover to be able to actually talk to Sydney about Lloyd. White in the back pocket if we don't trade Lloyd in.

Goddard a bit of an odd choice but Brown should be strictly injury backup next year, realistically it's going to be another transition year so giving him (Brown) games seems pointless if younger players are with development scope are available. Austin shows a bit but good lord does he float off his man a lot without necessarily impacting the play.

Newnes, Sincs, and Dunstan all need to play VFL and dominate there for a few weeks to earn their way back into the team.

Last edited:
Don't understand everyone frothing over Pierce. Was ok in his first game but absolutely monstered in his 2nd. Hickey would still be number 1 if everyone is fit, but I'm hoping we grab Pruess to end that argument.

I knew that if I put the 'H' word or the 'L' word in the ruck that's all the thread would be about....

B. McKenzie. Brown. Roberton
HB. Clark. Carlisle. Webster
C. Hanneberry. Steele. E Langdon
HF. Billings. Bruce. Gresham
F. Rankine. Marshall. Membrey

Foll. Lycett. Ross. Steven
Int. Coffield. Sinclair Acres. Geary

What I'd like to see:
B McVEIGH AUSTIN ROBERTON
HB COFFIELD CARLISLE WEBSTER
C BILLINGS STEELE CLARK
HF RANKINE BRUCE LONG
F BATTLE MEMBREY GRESHAM
R LYCETT ROSS STEVEN
INT ACRES SINCLAIR HANNEBERY McKENZIE

What Richo will pick regardless of form:
B GEARY BROWN ROBERTON
HB SAVAGE CARLISLE WEBSTER
C ACRES ARMITAGE NEWNES
HF BILLINGS McCARTIN WELLER
F MEMBREY BRUCE GRESHAM
R HICKEY ROSS STEVEN
INT DUNSTAN STEELE COFFIELD CLARK

McKenzie Brown Roberton
Coffield Carlisle Webster
Hannebery Ross Billings
Steven Bruce Lonie
Menzel Membrey Marshall
Lycett Steele Gresham
Geary Acres Clark Long

If we are to rise up, Gresham and Billings need to be our two best players. We need to get the ball in their hands 25+ times a match and be delivering it inside 50 over and over again. To go with this, I'd love to see Steven spend more time up forward. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly to allow people like Gresham to transition into midfield. Secondly as he has the skills to be really effective as a forward. Thirdly, we are far too reliant on Steven. Our wins/near wins pretty much always come with the reality of Steven being our best player. If he doesn't play a ripper we generally are miles off it. This suggests to me our midfield mix isn't quite right and needs to evolve.

I'm going with Lycett, Hanners and Menzel as they seem to be the three most probable scenarios, whether that is for better or worse. If they come, they'll play. If Menzel can bring 30 plus goals with him in a season then I'm happy. Leaving Sinclair out is tough as despite an average year I'm hopeful he can get back to his best. I wouldn't mind seeing him off half back with his skillet and the way he sees the game.

We're in a tricky situation with the five tallish forwards in Bruce, Membrey, Marshall, Battle and Paddy. Head vs heart for me as the idea of Paddy not making it with us pains me. But realistically and structurally, he's number five on that list.

Last edited:
McKenzie Brown Roberton
Coffield Carlisle Webster
Hannebery Steele Billings
Steven Bruce Lonie
Menzel Membrey Marshall
Lycett Steele Gresham
Geary Acres Clark Long

If we are to rise up, Gresham and Billings need to be our two best players. We need to get the ball in their hands 25+ times a match and be delivering it inside 50 over and over again. To go with this, I'd love to see Steven spend more time up forward. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly to allow people like Gresham to transition into midfield. Secondly as he has the skills to be really effective as a forward. Thirdly, we are far too reliant on Steven. Our wins/near wins pretty much always come with the reality of Steven being our best player. If he doesn't play a ripper we generally are miles off it. This suggests to me our midfield mix isn't quite right and needs to evolve.

I'm going with Lycett, Hanners and Menzel as they seem to be the three most probable scenarios, whether that is for better or worse. If they come, they'll play. If Menzel can bring 30 plus goals with him in a season then I'm happy. Leaving Sinclair out is tough as despite an average year I'm hopeful he can get back to his best. I wouldn't mind seeing him off half back with his skillet and the way he sees the game.

We're in a tricky situation with the five tallish forwards in Bruce, Membrey, Marshall, Battle and Paddy. Head vs heart for me as the idea of Paddy not making it with us pains me. But realistically and structurally, hes number five on that list.
You put Steele twice

as evidenced in the last couple of games, the op h/b were BOG , doggies and Bombers, who can we play there

Now i agree with Jimmy Webster , Carlisle, or Roberton who else with the skills ,on the other H/B will
to break the lines and deliver to the Forwards

What I would like to see...... but it ain't going to happen.

McVeigh Austin Webster
Robo Carlisle McKenzie
Billings Steele Coff
Rankin Membrey Hannas
Gresh Bruce Long

Lycett Steven Ross
Clark Acres Sincs Lonie

Wouldn't mind a forward line of..... (at least after McCartin dominates preseason and becomes an aerobic beast)

Membrey McCartin Rankin
Long Ruffhead Gresh

Expect us to add a couple of best 22 recruits like Lycett and Hannebery and probably lose/trade a decent player or two but from our current list this what we can realistically expect Richo to select next year

B: Geary, Brown, Webster
HB: McKenzie, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Newnes, Steele, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Bruce, Gresham
F: Membrey, McCartin, Long

Foll: Longer, Steven, Ross
Int: Acres, Clark, Coffield, Dunstan

What I'd like to see:

White Goddard Rice
Webster Carlisle Robo
Sinclair Steele Ross
Billings Membrey Gresh
Lonie Bruce Long
Lycett Steven Acres
Clark Walsh/Smith Freezer Menzel

What we'll actually see :

Geary Brown McKenzie
Webster Carlisle Savage
Newnes Dunstan Ross
Billings Membrey Weller
Newnes Fatty Gresh
Hickey Steven Steele
Lonie Clark Sinclair Rice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without considering possible trade right now I think:

FB: Geary - Brown - Austin
HB:Webster - Carlisle - Roberton
CL: Billings - Steele - Sinclair
HF: Lonie - Bruce - Gresham
FF: Marshall - Membery - Long
RR: Hickey - Ross - Steven
Int: Acres - Phillips - McKenzie
Clark

I think Membery, Bruce and Marshall are mobile and accountable enough to play in the same forward line. And I'd like to see Austin play the old Gilbert role as a running 3rd tall defender, being a lockdown type doesn't suit him. That bench spot I gave McKenzie could just as easily be Rice, Coffield or Savage but I think D-Mac holds it for now. I also prefer Phillips over Armo or Dunston but that's debatable. Goddard will most likely be delisted leaving Brown as the only real choice as a lockdown defender.

Hopefully a couple of trades and pick 3 make a slightly different look but that's my thoughts for now.

Geary, can't kick to save his life, but puts in the effort, good defensively and if he gets the ball more than he should its because no-one else is.
Brown, OK stopper against some talls.
Austin, OK on the rebound for a big unit, not as defensive as he could be.
Webster : I like .
Carlisle : I like.
Roberton: I like, hope he can get over his health concerns.
Billings : Got less of the ball and kicked less goals than last year. Disappointing. Needs to come back better.
Steele : After looking like he might make it as a ball winning freak, he spudded it up for much of the year, GOod signs at the end.
Sinclair : After a massive breakout season 2017, he managed to do much the same overall. I WAN''T MORE.
Lonie : 16 goals from 11 games is getting to where he needs to be.
Bruce : probably would have kicked 40 and done some good work round the ground. Paddy, Battle and Marshall kicked 25 combined.
Gresham : got more of the ball than previously and did good work with it.
Marshall : Useful as a ruck forward. I think i'd go with him.
Membrey: I like.
Long: tends to go missing . Worth starting with i suppose.
Pierce/Hickey/Longer, whatever.
Ross: Has he peaked?
Steven: Not getting any younger.
Acres: Improved on 2017 particularly contested possessions.
Phillips: Could be a decent all round mid.
McKenzie : Fast , but still needs to get more of the ball. He's not Cyril, so he needs more than 15 touches . Some good signs thoughl.

St. Kilda Saints 2019 Potential Starting 22

FB: Rice – Austin – Coffield

HB: Webster – Carlisle (C) – Roberton

C: Gresham – Acres – Billings

HF: Rankine – Battle – Lonie

FF: Membrey (VC) – Marshall – Steven

Foll: Lycett – Ross (VC) – Steele

Int: Sinclair – Hanneberry (VC) – Clark – Long

Emerg: Pierce – Bruce – Phillips - Dunstan

Sandy: Paton - Hickey – White – McKenzie – Savage – Newnes – Claverino – Joyce – Langlands - McCartin

Break Glass If Required: Armitage, Brown, Gilbert, Geary

List Changes

Retired/Delisted: Stevens – Minchington – Wright – Freeman – Connellan - Goddard
Trade Out: Weller – Longer
Trade In: Lycett – Hanneberry
Draft: - Rankine
Possibility – I’d trade Steven for a top 6 pick (Very unlikely but not out of the question)

Reasoning:

- McKenzie left out until he can kick.
- Lycett, if not Pierce then Hickey. Longer hasn’t got enough to his game - Trade or delist
- Hannerberry could be huge for us if only in terms of building a tougher environment and developing similar mids.
- Retaining Dunstan to see if hannerberry can teach him how to be a star while being extremely limited skill wise
- Claverino/Joyce plays for Rice depending on opp setup, not Brown.
- Bruce/McCartin will need to make a mockery of VFL football before being considered ahead of Battle/Marshall
- Likewise Savage/Newnes. Kids to be given first crack
- Carlisle is my captain. Obvious choice
- Acres plays centre and attends as many stoppages as humanly possible
- Gresham and Lonie play higher, Steven 50/50 mid/deep forward
- With hannerberry playing we can afford to not play our dinosaurs who are statistically and quite obviously the worst performing veterans in the league. We simply cant afford to have Geary kicking the ball.
- Dont need Menzel

my team

Geary - Austin - McKenzie
Webster - Carlisle - Roberton
Tomlinson - Steele - Billings
Steven - Battle - Coffield
Membery - Bruce - Fasolo

Lycett
- Ross - B.Crouch

Acres / Hunter / Marshall / Smith

Trade Dunstan and Longer for Crouch
Trade Priority pick for Tomlinson
Weller and Armitage for Scrimshaw
Fasolo free agent
Lycett free agent
Menzel free agent
Lonie trade for 3rd round draft pick

out
Weller
Armitage
Freeman
Goddard
Longer
Gilbert
Lonie
Stevens
Minchington

in
Lycett
B.Crouch
Smith / pick 4 in draft
Tomlinson / priority pick
Menzel
Fasolo
Scrimshaw
3rd round draft pick
Marshall off rookie list

Using the dumb, but surprisingly effective system of choosing the players with the highest average contested possessions count we get :

FB 17 Gilbert (5.5) *** Brown. 10 Geary (6.7)
HB 18 Webster (5) 15 Carlisle (5.6) 16 McKenzie ( 5.5)
C 6 Acres (8.9) 4 Dunstan(9.7) 7 Sinclair(7.3)
HF 8 Bruce (7) 12 Billings (6.2) 19 Membrey (4.8)
F 9 Gresham(7) 14 Marshall (5.7) 13 Long(5.9)

R 1 Steele (10) 2 Hickey(10) 3 Steven(10)

5 Ross(9.6) 11 Armitage( 6.7) 20 Newnes ( 4.8) 21 Paton(4.7)

Emergency : 23 Pierce(4.7) 24 Weller( 4.5) , Battle/Lonie/Savage 4.3

XXX 16 Stevens(5.5) 16 Freeman(5.5) 18 Goddard (5) 24 Wright(4.5)
*** Brown gets Goddard's spot for structure.

Using the dumb, but surprisingly effective system of choosing the players with the highest average contested possessions count we get :

FB 17 Gilbert (5.5) *** Brown. 10 Geary (6.7)
HB 18 Webster (5) 15 Carlisle (5.6) 16 McKenzie ( 5.5)
C 6 Acres (8.9) 4 Dunstan(9.7) 7 Sinclair(7.3)
HF 8 Bruce (7) 12 Billings (6.2) 19 Membrey (4.8)
F 9 Gresham(7) 14 Marshall (5.7) 13 Long(5.9)

R 1 Steele (10) 2 Hickey(10) 3 Steven(10)

5 Ross(9.6) 11 Armitage( 6.7) 20 Newnes ( 4.8) 21 Paton(4.7)

Emergency : 23 Pierce(4.7) 24 Weller( 4.5) , Battle/Lonie/Savage 4.3

XXX 16 Stevens(5.5) 16 Freeman(5.5) 18 Goddard (5) 24 Wright(4.5)
*** Brown gets Goddard's spot for structure.
A bit sobering that nether Clark or Coff had enough contested to get on this list....

Ok here’s my side for next year . I know some players might still be injured at the time but I’m going to pretend all players will be fit for round 1 2019 .

FB - Webster, Austin , Rice
HB - Robbo , Carlisle , Clark
C - Paton , Walsh , Acres
HF - Rankine , Max King , Billings
FF - Steven , Bruce , Membrey
R - Lycett , Steele , Gresham
I/c - Coffield , Ross, Smith , McKenzie

That’s assuming certain draft picks fall our way lmao .

Go Saints

Ok here’s my side for next year . I know some players might still be injured at the time but I’m going to pretend all players will be fit for round 1 2019 .

FB - Webster, Austin , Rice
HB - Robbo , Carlisle , Clark
C - Paton , Walsh , Acres
HF - Rankine , Max King , Billings
FF - Steven , Bruce , Membrey
R - Lycett , Steele , Gresham
I/c - Coffield , Ross, Smith , McKenzie

That’s assuming certain draft picks fall our way lmao .

Go Saints
Keen to add in picks one, two, three and four.

A bit sobering that nether Clark or Coff had enough contested to get on this list....
Clark’s will go up once he stops playing HFF with some half back thrown in. No doubt about it.

Think it's pretty pointless picking a team before any serious list changes are made.

Based on who we have at the moment and assuming everyone is fit:

McKenzie Brown Webster
Roberton Carlisle Savage
Sinclair Steele Billings
Membrey Battle Gresham
Long Marshall Lonie
Pierce Ross Steven
Acres Clark Coffield Paton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back