Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unless something changes, Mccartin Marshall membrey will be the round 1 forward set up, that's the coaches' preferred set up as things stand.

IMO Paddy and Roma are barely guaranteed a game, let alone being locks in the forward line. A lot will come back to how Longer is tracking, too. You'd hope Bruce will demand a spot, which leaves Membrey (first picked, for mine) and another. It will come back to balance and with the competition for spots, I strongly doubt there's anything too concrete just yet.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can I just defer everyone to Bruce’s form prior to being injured. He was ordinary at best, couldn’t catch a cold and his kicking similarly unreliable. He had the obvious break out year, but hasn’t shown much since to suggest he’s a walk up start after near 12 months out of the game.

Even so he has still outperformed Paddy and can take second ruck duties if we want to play smaller. Unless Paddy has a remarkable preseason I can't see how selecting him over Bruce would be justified.

Yabadoo22

All Australian
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Round 1 2019
B: geary brown roberton
Hb: webster Carlisle savage
C: Sinclair Steele Ross
Hf: Billings Bruce long
F: Gresham McCartin membrey
Foll: longer Steven Hannebery
Int: Clark acres newnes Kent

St Kilda premiership side 2019
B: webster brown Roberton
Hb: coffield Carlisle McKenzie
C: Clark Steele Ross
Hf: Billings king long
F: Gresham McCartin membrey
Foll: Marshall Steven Hannebery
Int: geary acres Kent young

_Maximus_12

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Even so he has still outperformed Paddy and can take second ruck duties if we want to play smaller. Unless Paddy has a remarkable preseason I can't see how selecting him over Bruce would be justified.
Not really, given the club have openly stated that Paddy is a major part of our future, I’d say he’s does enough on the track to outperform Bruce and indicate to the club that it’s purely a case of continuity in his football.

Can I just defer everyone to Bruce’s form prior to being injured. He was ordinary at best, couldn’t catch a cold and his kicking similarly unreliable. He had the obvious break out year, but hasn’t shown much since to suggest he’s a walk up start after near 12 months out of the game.

In round 1 , Bruce kicked 3 goals , something Paddy has only achieved once in his 35 games.
In round 2 and 3 Bruce kicked zero, and then one. The kind of score that Paddy often kicks.

Jack Watts syndrome. Start gifting games to players because we "think they should be good " and the players who weren't number one picks but are pretty damn handy will get their noses out of joint.

Given everyone is fit I'd think only Bruce, Membrey and Gresh would be certain starters in the fwd line, some may be more likely but that's what the preseason is for. A change of game plan, (Battle to play a Gunston role) an injury to Longer could see Membrey Bruce, Marshall, Paddy, Battle, Parker and Long all in the first 22.

Yep we have tonnes of competition for spots for small forwards too. Long, Lonie, Kent and the two new guys.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
From Captain to not getting a game - nup not gonna happen.

Geary for Brown

B - Webster - Austin - Geary (C)
HB - Roberton - Carlisle - McKenzie
C - Hanneberry - Steele - Billings
HF - ???? - Bruce - Gresham
F - Membrey - ????? - Long
R - Longer - Steven - Ross
I - Acres - Coffield - Clark -????
Mav Weller, from captain candidate and leadership group to delisted...

He played three games, kicked 4 in his first and seemed to struggle to move properly and only kicked one goal in his next 2 games. Found out he had stress fractures in his back when he went back to Sandringham and then when he got back from the back broke his leg in the VFL. I'm not sure that's a great deal of evidence he was ordinary.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Yep we have tonnes of competition for spots for small forwards too. Long, Lonie, Kent and the two new guys.
CD quoting the ability to win ground balls in forward 50 has been essential in the winning of recent premierships. If the newbies and Lonie hit form, look out!

He played three games, kicked 4 in his first and seemed to struggle to move properly and only kicked one goal in his next 2 games. Found out he had stress fractures in his back when he went back to Sandringham and then when he got back from the back broke his leg in the VFL. I'm not sure that's a great deal of evidence he was ordinary.
His VFL form returning from the back issue was pretty good
Bruce kicked 4 goals against Frankston and if he had held more of his marks he might have kicked double that tally.
Billings took most of the limelight on that day but Bruce's performance was very good.
He did not kick a goal against Williamstown, but neither did anyone else (A forward's nightmare -rain, hail & gail force winds)
Then against Port Melbourne he kicked 3 goals and IMO would have been back into the team had he not broken his leg at training.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can deliver next year and I can't see how he would not be in the starting 22
The whole forward line now has an exciting look about it. Plenty of options, plenty of pressure for spots and a bit more X factor.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
So we have Paddy and Bruce coming back from.injury and Marshall very raw.

I'd say they would all be starting on an equal footing and much will depend on preseason form as to who gets the nod.

Unless the club already has a preferred set up which we don't really know.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
CD quoting the ability to win ground balls in forward 50 has been essential in the winning of recent premierships. If the newbies and Lonie hit form, look out!
This year's recruiting suggests we are looking to address this need.

We have been smoked with coast to coast goals against us.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bruce has his knockers , but he is one of our forwards who can kick goals - last year was a right off due to injury, this year could be way different - if he holds his marks he will be are danger to every team.
We have so many players who could have a huge season - Billings , Acres , Gresham , Carlisle , Steven , Ross , Steele , Hannebery , Webster , Roberton , McKenzie , Membery , Bruce .

and this not including McCartin , Long , Battle , Austin , Clavarino , White , Hunter , Coffield , Phillips , Paton , Marshall who could all have a break out season

no reason we can't play finals if a lot of them fire up

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree. Also Bruce score 50, 38, 36 goals before this season. Patty’s best season is 14. Night and day. We’ll all be happy if Paddy comes on this year. But he has not proved himself yet. Depending on form, it will be between Paddy, Marshall and Battle as Membrey can play as a 3rd tall.

I think its kind of telling we were last in the contest for contested possessions per game. In 2017 we were 12th.
Yeah i know they aren't the be all and end all, but being last can't be good.
Second last was Carlton , while the best included Melbourne, Collingwood and West Coast.
We are 15 contested possessions per game behind the best sides, so how are we going to make up that ground. We want 160 per game.

Webster(5) Brown(3) Geary (7)
Roberton ( 4) Carlisle( 6) Savage (4)
Sinclair (7 ) Steele (10) Newnes ( 5)
Marshall (6) Weller (4.5) Membrey (5)
Gresham (7 ) McCartin (4) Lonie (4)

Ross (10) Steven (10) Hickey (10)
Billings (6) Dunstan (10) Clark (4) Acres (9)

Total = 151.

So why did we only average around 130 or so?
Injuries meant that players like Coffield ,Clarke, Paton, Phillips , Austin got plenty of games amongst them, and didn't win much contested ball.
The good news is that ALL of them should be able to win more in future.

Looking at the team above. Take out Savage for McKenzie, he wins more of the ball and will get better. +2
Take out Newnes for Hannebery, good for a few extra cp's . ( Newnes CP's well down on previous seasons ). +4
Kent will probably get around the same contested possessions as Weller. +1
Bruce gets around 7. +1
We lose Hickey ( 10 ) for Longer (3) -7.
Overall changes +1.

Still if we can achieve an average of 150 CP's per game ,we are doing OK and our depth is much better.

So we have Paddy and Bruce coming back from.injury and Marshall very raw.

I'd say they would all be starting on an equal footing and much will depend on preseason form as to who gets the nod.

Unless the club already has a preferred set up which we don't really know.

I think the forward line is where we have the most scope for improvement. Last season the yips killed so many players seasons and snuffed any momentum we had. We were the least accurate side since Richmond in the early 90s. I remember seeing a stat that said if we had converted at the AFL average, that we would have been top 8. Membrey for the last few years had been very accurate and started missing shots, Billings who single handedly carried us in a few games early on couldn't convert simple set shots, Gresham started the season the same etc. We lost Bruce as well which hurt by taking his usual 40 goals a season out. Mav went from free wheeling to low impact and dour etc.

I think its kind of telling we were last in the contest for contested possessions per game. In 2017 we were 12th.
Yeah i know they aren't the be all and end all, but being last can't be good.
Second last was Carlton , while the best included Melbourne, Collingwood and West Coast.
We are 15 contested possessions per game behind the best sides, so how are we going to make up that ground. We want 160 per game.

Webster(5) Brown(3) Geary (7)
Roberton ( 4) Carlisle( 6) Savage (4)
Sinclair (7 ) Steele (10) Newnes ( 5)
Marshall (6) Weller (4.5) Membrey (5)
Gresham (7 ) McCartin (4) Lonie (4)

Ross (10) Steven (10) Hickey (10)
Billings (6) Dunstan (10) Clark (4) Acres (9)

Total = 151.

So why did we only average around 130 or so?
Injuries meant that players like Coffield ,Clarke, Paton, Phillips , Austin got plenty of games amongst them, and didn't win much contested ball.
The good news is that ALL of them should be able to win more in future.

Looking at the team above. Take out Savage for McKenzie, he wins more of the ball and will get better. +2
Take out Newnes for Hannebery, good for a few extra cp's . ( Newnes CP's well down on previous seasons ). +4
Kent will probably get around the same contested possessions as Weller. +1
Bruce gets around 7. +1
We lose Hickey ( 10 ) for Longer (3) -7.
Overall changes +1.

Still if we can achieve an average of 150 CP's per game ,we are doing OK and our depth is much better.

If Hannerbury can play somewhere like his best we could easily make that up, it's not just him but the way the rest of the midfield gets opportunity from having him take the focus off them. It's only a few a quarter.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Spent a bit of time considering my team post draft, think it'll look something like this assuming everyone is fit for Rd1

FB: Geary (begrudgingly) - Austin - Webster
HB: Roberton - Carlisle - Coffield
C: Sinclair - Steele - Ross
HF: Billings - Membrey - Kent
FF: Gresh - Bruce - Long
F: Longer - Steven - Hannebery
I/C: Acres - Parker - Clark - Marshall

Missing out: Dunstan, Lonie, Newnes, McKenzie, McCartin, Battle, Brown from the more often selected.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Ordinary? Compared to who?

A fit Josh Bruce is way way way ahead of any other option for CHF.

On past selections its Bruce, Membrey, Gresh and Long as first picks for the forward line which leaves FF and a HFF spot up for grabs.

Membrey Bruce Lonie/Kent/Parker/Young/Paton

Long McCartin/Marshall Gresham

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not really, given the club have openly stated that Paddy is a major part of our future, I’d say he’s does enough on the track to outperform Bruce and indicate to the club that it’s purely a case of continuity in his football.
Pretty standard response by the club and given last years statements they’d be better off saying nothing.
Form will dictate who gets in otherwise our selection is a massive fail already.

Back