Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

We have shown in the JLT games our side has it together better than last year , Losing Roberton is no going to wipe us out.
Not having Paddy is no big deal , either put Marshall there or play and small forward.

Still expecting big things - just hoping Steven , Acres , Pierce , Austin , McKenzie can play round one.
If they play we will flog the Suns and be right for the following week against the Bombers.
Love the positivity Premium! I’m actually starting to get really excited for next week, even after the rough news.

The way I see it, I need to fully invest early in case I ECO later.

Anyway, I think it will be interesting if we go small or tall both in defence and attack.

I think the locks for the backs at this stage are:

Webster Joyce Geary and Battle

Then we will have to pick from:
Talls: Austin, Wilkie, Marsh
Smells: Hind, McKenzie

Then with the forwards I think the locks will be:

Kent, Long, Bruce, Membrey

Forward mids: Gresh, Billings, Sinclair

We will then to pick out of

Talls: Marshall, Battle
Medium: Parker, Acres
Small: Lonie

There always has to be a selection shock! CALL ME SNAKE is the controversial omission. A walk up start normally. The rumours of a falling out between him andGeorge depend on this selection howler. I'm thinking ahead WWE style.

There always has to be a selection shock! CALL ME SNAKE is the controversial omission. A walk up start normally. The rumours of a falling out between him andGeorge depend on this selection howler. I'm thinking ahead WWE style.
If you dont want me, i dont want you. And im gonna take my jumper off and wave it at angrily at you as i walk off the ground like Brad Hardie did
fadc4a0564ca9ee2e6ae3be08120a55f

Not ideal, but I rate things such as pace, stamina and foot skills higher than good body hygiene so would still have Hind & McKenzie in the mix.

Love the positivity Premium! I’m actually starting to get really excited for next week, even after the rough news.

The way I see it, I need to fully invest early in case I ECO later.

Anyway, I think it will be interesting if we go small or tall both in defence and attack.

I think the locks for the backs at this stage are:

Webster Joyce Geary and Battle

Then with the forwards I think the locks will be:

Kent, Long, Bruce, Membrey

Forward mids: Gresh, Billings, Sinclair

We will then to pick out of

Talls: Marshall, Battle
Medium: Parker, Acres
Small: Lonie
Reckon Sav might feel a little hard done by there Paul

It's all George's fault. Take it up with him. We could get rid of him because champion players always get preference over coaches at St. Kilda. George is far more dispensable than you, CMS. We have a Ratten like figure in Yawkey Way as back up. I'll talk to the board on Monday. Bring your gear on matchday. Just in case. 😉

Worst case 22 which includes the omissions of Steven & Geary (calf).

Seeing as Pierce & Marsh are playing for Sandy tonight I assume they will play round 1 in the ones.

Acres & Mckenzie I’m not selecting because surely they would’ve needed the run tonight to play round 1?

B: Webster - Joyce - Coffield
HB: Marsh - Battle - Savage
C: Newnes - Steele - Billings
HF: Kent - Bruce - Long
F: Parker - Marshall - Membrey
R: Pierce - Ross - Gresham
I: Dunstan - Clark - Sinclair - Lonie

E: Hind - Wilkie - Armitage

FB: Geary Joyce Webster
HB: Savage Battle Wilkie
C: Newnes Steele Billings
HF: Kent Membrey Gresham
F: Parker Bruce Long

R: Marshall Steven Ross

Int: Clark, Dunstan, Sinclair, Hind

Gone with the two talls. Risky considering the way we capitulated last year when Hickey went down mid game but I think we have to. Parker is 190cm which is taller than Membrey which is good enough for me.

Backline is a serious issue. Joyce and Battle is far from ideal, might have to play Rowe for experience TBH. Wilkie playing JLT probably means he’s next in line for Robbo.

FB: Geary Joyce Webster
HB: Savage Battle Wilkie
HF: Kent Membrey Gresham
F: Parker Bruce Long

R: Marshall Steven Ross

Int: Clark, Dunstan, Sinclair, Hind

Gone with the two talls. Risky considering the way we capitulated last year when Hickey went down mid game but I think we have to. Parker is 190cm which is taller than Membrey which is good enough for me.

Backline is a serious issue. Joyce and Battle is far from ideal, might have to play Rowe for experience TBH. Wilkie playing JLT probably means he’s next in line for Robbo.

Someone mentioned on the injury thread - Geary is down with calf injury.

Geary Joyce Webster
Savage battle Mckenzie
Hind Steele Newnes
Billings Bruce Gresham
Long membrey Parker

Marshall Ross Steven

Clark acres Kent Dunstan

Em: Sinclair coffield Wilkie

Backing in Webster and Mckenzie to play a bit taller down back. If acres fit I think is a good utility to play a bit tall too. Sinclair a bit stiff but if geary injured he comes in and hind goes back.

Satan Lethers said on SEN yesterday (I only now caught the article) that Jack Steven’s intention is to play round 1!

Also said Paddy is still feeling the effects of the concussion, Hanneberry will be available round 2-4 & Winx is looking to play for Sandy in the early half of the season.

Last edited:
Satan Lethers said on SEN yesterday (I only now caught the article) that Jack Steven’s intention is to play round 1!

Also said Paddy is still feeing the effects of the concussion, Hanneberry will be available round 2-4 & Winx is looking to play for Sandy in the early half of the season.
Great news on Stuv and Winx.
Hannas a few weeks no probs.
Paddy not good still feeling effects this long after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team for R1:

B: Geary Joyce D-Mac
HB: Savage Battle Webster
HF: Kent Bruce Long
F: Membrey Marshall Gresham
R: Pierce Ross Stuv
I (From): Dunstan Clark Acres Parker Lonie Sincs Hind Marsh

Good sign for our depth that even without about 6 who would be playing, if fit, available and in form, I'm still struggling big-time to get the bench down to 4.

Great news on Stuv and Winx.
Hannas a few weeks no probs.
Paddy not good still feeling effects this long after.

I’m hoping the extra time Hanneberry is having off gets him back into pre 2017 form. Maybe we are showing more patience with his rehab then Sydney did?

Lethers was also quoted saying Paddy has traditionally taken 2-3 weeks to recover from concussions...but not sure if we can read much into that quote.

I’m hoping the extra time Hanneberry is having off gets him back into pre 2017 form. Maybe we are showing more patience with him rehab then Sydney did?

Lethers was also quoted saying Paddy has traditionally taken 2-3 weeks to recover from concussions...but not sure if we can read much into that quote.
Hoping same on Hannas. Need him at his best not how Newnes was played last year.

Paddy - I have to be honest and say I'm on the him looking after his future train and just think retirement is the right option and a matter of time.

Last edited:
Team for R1:

B: Geary Joyce D-Mac
HB: Savage Battle Webster
HF: Kent Bruce Long
F: Membrey Marshall Gresham
R: Pierce Ross Stuv
I (From): Dunstan Clark Acres Parker Lonie Sincs Hind Marsh

Good sign for our depth that even without about 6 who would be playing, if fit, available and in form, I'm still struggling big-time to get the bench down to 4.

The interesting selections for me are what we do to replace Robbo. I’ve seen you’ve gone for McKenzie but would we prefer a taller type such as Wilkie or Marsh?

The other difficult selection is what we do in the ruck/tall fwd to replace Paddy? Pierce & Marshall to share ruck/fwd or Marshall & Acres to replace Paddy fwd with Bruce helping out in the ruck.

Or we could move Battle fwd although I see this as the most unlikely scenario. Really happy with him down back thus far.

Geary Joyce Savage
Webster Marsh Coffield
Billings Ross clarke
Long Bruce ..Newnes..
Membrey Battle Gresham
Pierce Steele Steven

Int..Dunstan Marshall Kent/Parker Sinclair

Just for this week.

Last edited:
The interesting selections for me are what we do to replace Robbo. I’ve seen you’ve gone for McKenzie but would we prefer a taller type such as Wilkie or Marsh?

The other difficult selection is what we do in the ruck/tall fwd to replace Paddy? Pierce & Marshall to share ruck/fwd or Marshall & Acres to replace Paddy fwd with Bruce helping out in the ruck.

Or we could move Battle fwd although I see this as the most unlikely scenario. Really happy with him down back thus far.
I've gone with D-Mac for R1, but that's just for GCS. From then on it would probably be a horses-for-courses thing.

Dan plays taller than his height (has a terrific vertical leap and excellent aerial abilities) and so can Jimmy, but in some games we may definitely need a Marsh/Wilkie/Austin, but of course if Brown comes back in R2, as expected, we may also opt for Joyce playing that 3rd-tall role, or even CHB (freeing Battle up to play a more intercepting/rebound role).

Dan came 10th in the B&F last year off just 13 games (which is pretty bloody remarkable when you think about it!), so you'd think if he's fully fit and training well they'll be very keen to get him back in.

The interesting one back there will be Hind. Looked really good at times in the two JLT games, but didn't get a lot of minutes. Not sure what to read into that.

Up forward I'd prefer to go with Roma over playing Acres in a marking role. More of a contested marking threat and improves our ruck situation considerably. He also is way better from a tackling/pressuring perspective than Paddy, so cancels out a lot of the extra of that we'd get from playing Blake there instead of Paddy.

Just think it's time we got serious with Blake and see what he does in a mainly midfield role.

I've gone with D-Mac for R1, but that's just for GCS. From then on it would probably be a horses-for-courses thing.

Dan plays taller than his height (has a terrific vertical leap and excellent aerial abilities) and so can Jimmy, but in some games we may definitely need a Marsh/Wilkie/Austin, but of course if Brown comes back in R2, as expected, we may also opt for Joyce playing that 3rd-tall role, or even CHB (freeing Battle up to play a more intercepting/rebound role).

Dan came 10th in the B&F last year off just 13 games (which is pretty bloody remarkable when you think about it!), so you'd think if he's fully fit and training well they'll be very keen to get him back in.

The interesting one back there will be Hind. Looked really good at times in the two JLT games, but didn't get a lot of minutes. Not sure what to read into that.

Up forward I'd prefer to go with Roma over playing Acres in a marking role. More of a contested marking threat and improves our ruck situation considerably. He also is way better from a tackling/pressuring perspective than Paddy, so cancels out a lot of the extra of that we'd get from playing Blake there instead of Paddy.

Just think it's time we got serious with Blake and see what he does in a mainly midfield role.

McKenzie & Acres look to be the selection unknowns for round 1. Both have had their niggles & either been on the injury list or listed under ‘test’. Both lack practice/JLT matches under their belt. I really thought last nights game was a good opportunity to get some minutes into them, unsure why they didn’t play, I’m sure there’s a reasonable explanation. It’ll be interesting to see if they are picked next week.

Would be shocked if Dan didn't play next week.

If Lonie deserves a game based on his finish to last year, then Dan deserves at least 10.

Also, with Jake, Nate and Robbo out, I doubt we'll bring in even more inexperienced guys.

Also said Paddy is still feeling the effects of the concussion, Hanneberry will be available round 2-4 & Winx is looking to play for Sandy in the early half of the season.
Going to be like a carnival when Winx steps out. I imagine he will kick off with just a half. Could be 40k there. :p

Would be shocked if Dan didn't play next week.

If Lonie deserves a game based on his finish to last year, then Dan deserves at least 10.

Also, with Jake, Nate and Robbo out, I doubt we'll bring in even more inexperienced guys.
agree - McKenzie if fit plays
We have so many options now in the forward line Lonie will have to perform better than he did against the Dogs.
With Long , Kent and Gresham in the forward line , it's going to be between Parker and Lonie .
Steven and maybe Acres coming back into the team will make it even harder to add a another forward into the mix.
Currently this would be the team if no one else gets a injury

Geary - Joyce - McKenzie
Webster - Battle - Savage
Billings - Steele - Newnes
Kent - Bruce - Gresham
Long - Marshall - Membery

Pierce - Ross - Steven

Dunstan / Acres / Clark / Austin

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back