Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another crack at the 22, probably my fourth attempt in the past week. I’m working on the assumption Steven is ready to go, as are Acres & Mckenzie & Geary is out with a calf.

I think Marsh & Rowe need to get a bit more match sim practice & learn the game plan before stepping right in.

B: Webster - Joyce - Mckenzie
HB: Savage - Battle - Clark
C: Newnes - Steele - Billings
HF: Gresham - Membrey - Long
F: Acres - Bruce - Parker
R: Marshall - Ross - Steven
I: Sinclair - Dunstan - Coffield - Kent

A shorter team. A more dynamic team.

Mckenzie & Coffield can play a little taller in the back half if required.

Plenty of quick, small options up forward.

Acres adds versatility & can play as a marking forward when Bruce rucks. Marshall can rest forward.

Plenty of midfield depth.
Nice team but I can’t see Coffield replacing Hind after all the work done in preseason

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
FB: McKenzie - Joyce - Wilkie
HB: Webster - Battle - Savage
C: Billings - Steele - Newnes
HF: Gresham - Bruce - Kent
FF: Membrey - Marshall - Long
R: Pierce - Ross - Steven
I: Dunstan - Acres - Clark - Lonie
Emg: Sinclair - Parker - Hind - Coffield

Unavailable: Geary, Brown, Carlisle, Roberton, McCartin, Hannebery

Based on JLT, I have a feeling Wilkie might be first in line for a spot in defense at Roberton’s expense.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
FB: McKenzie - Joyce - Wilkie
HB: Webster - Battle - Savage
I: Dunstan - Acres - Clark - Lonie
Emg: Sinclair - Parker - Hind - Coffield

Unavailable: Geary, Brown, Carlisle, Roberton, McCartin, Hannebery

Based on JLT, I have a feeling Wilkie might be first in line for a spot in defense at Roberton’s expense.
Saves me a lot of typing!

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’ve spent way too long thinking about this side. I like two tall forwards but 3 tall backs as our pressure up the field has been good in the JLT and that should lead to more intercept marking. 3 tall backs also allows us to swing battle forward and have 3 tall forwards. It all swings on Austin’s fitness, but if he’s out I’d give to role to Wilkie, Coff or play white in gears possition and play McKenzie as the interceptor. Austin could also pinch hit in the ruck if we want to leave Bruce forward.

Acres and Parker get the nod over Lonie as I think with two talks and the 666 rules they are more likely to bring it to ground.

Gresh in the middle could be ross, just showing I want him to spend plenty of time in there.

McKenzie Joyce Webster
Savage Battle Austin
Billings Steele Clark
Long Membrey Acres
Parker Bruce Hunt

Marshal Steven Gresh

Ross Newnes Dunstan Hind

Gee, last brench spot should go to Lonie, but by having Hind if our backline needs some speed due to the 3 tall structure we can inject him back there.

Can’t see Rowe getting a game just yet BT
Think he’s more back up at this point

Yeah I realised that , but I was wondering who else they could play , apart from Austin who is coming back from injury they might need another tallish defender if Battle or Joyce get injured. That is why Guys like Robbo , Gilbert and Fisher were good as they play tall or small .

Don’t Panic !!

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
B: McKenzie Joyce Webster
HB: Hind Marsh Savage
C: Newnes Ross Billings
HF: Long Bruce Parker
F: Gresham Membrey Kent
R: Pierce Steele Steven
I/C: Acres Sinclair Clark Marshall
Em: Dunstan Lonie Coffield
INJ: Geary Carlisle Robbo Hanners Winx Bytel Clavarino

That is all.

RetroRandy66

Senior List
Feb 24, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Where is it that geary is injured?

B: Geary Joyce Webster
HB: Battle Marshall Savage
C: Newnes Ross Billings
HF: Kent Bruce Parker
F: Gresham Membrey Long
R: Pierce Steele Steven
I/C: Hind Phillips Clark Dunstan

With the new 6-6-6, our boy dunstan becomes the man.

I think that teams good enough to win round 1 l. Brown back - Marshall up forward/ruck for round 2 will be nice.

Get Hannas, Acres, McKenzie and Marsh AFL fit and firing and then we'll be more than ok.

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
FB: DMac - Joyce - Webster
HB: Hind - Battle - Savage
I: Dunstan - Acres - Sinclair - Lonie

Assumes Geary injured in addition to all those that were listed as injured on Friday.

Have gone a more experienced team as we really need the win. Clark / Parker unlucky; to pick one less experienced player I'll go with Hind as I thought he looked pretty dynamic in JLT. Or take him out, put in Parker and move all the magnets around.

Ninjaedit: Clark has actually played more games than Long, so what do I know.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know this is a round 1 best 22 thread, but I'm curious to see what people think our best 22 for the majority of the season will be. We know Roberton is out for the year, Carlisle will be lucky to play a few games and unfortunately Paddy isn't a realistic option any more. Once we're a couple of months into the season and our underdone/new players get their fitness back up, this is what I personally would like to see (pending further injuries)

B: Webster, Joyce, McKenzie
HB: Coffield, Austin, Marsh
C: Acres, Steele, Hannebery
HF: Billings, Bruce, Gresham
F: Long, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Steven, Ross
Int: Clark, Hind, Parker, Sinclair

I think that team would be competitive enough to avoid the bottom 3 while also getting plenty of experience into our future finals side. It's a versatile, athletic, hard running outfit that would be entertaining to watch.

I'm well aware that hell will freeze over before Richo picks a team that contains none of Geary, Brown, Newnes, Longer, Dunstan, Savage, Armitage or Lonie but I do like to imagine a world where we actually look towards the future.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I know this is a round 1 best 22 thread, but I'm curious to see what people think our best 22 for the majority of the season will be. We know Roberton is out for the year, Carlisle will be lucky to play a few games and unfortunately Paddy isn't a realistic option any more. Once we're a couple of months into the season and our underdone/new players get their fitness back up, this is what I personally would like to see (pending further injuries)

B: Webster, Joyce, McKenzie
HB: Coffield, Austin, Marsh
C: Acres, Steele, Hannebery
HF: Billings, Bruce, Gresham
F: Long, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Steven, Ross
Int: Clark, Hind, Parker, Sinclair

I think that team would be competitive enough to avoid the bottom 3 while also getting plenty of experience into our future finals side. It's a versatile, athletic, hard running outfit that would be entertaining to watch.

I'm well aware that hell will freeze over before Richo picks a team that contains none of Geary, Brown, Newnes, Longer, Dunstan, Savage, Armitage or Lonie but I do like to imagine a world where we actually look towards the future.
What is the point of picking a side without our captain. He is playing bar injury and so he should. And just because you don’t want those players it doesn’t make richo wrong picking at least a couple. I’m sure everyone just about has different side. Do we say hell will freeze over for every different side we pick.

By the way you do realise just about every player you mentioned was dropped by richo last year so I don’t get your point anyway just as about every player you want in got a chance but didn’t take their chance. That is the players fault not the selectors

Last edited:
When Brown played for Collingwood he was first picked nearly every week.
Despite his age he really hasn't slowed down much, but because its StKilda he's s**t, or stopping goals getting kicked on us is unfashionable or something, and we think 2 guys with 20 ish games between them are better.

Then we leave out our best contested ball winners, because being last at Contested Possessions last year wasn't enough. Instead we stack the team with outside runners, who will run and spread , then run down to the back line as the other team gets the clearance.

Bookmark it , If Geary, Brown, Newnes , Dunstan, Longer are fit they will get games. This does not mean the selectors are stupid.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
When Brown played for Collingwood he was first picked nearly every week.
Despite his age he really hasn't slowed down much, but because its StKilda he's s**t, or stopping goals getting kicked on us is unfashionable or something, and we think 2 guys with 20 ish games between them are better.

Then we leave out our best contested ball winners, because being last at Contested Possessions last year wasn't enough. Instead we stack the team with outside runners, who will run and spread , then run down to the back line as the other team gets the clearance.

Bookmark it , If Geary, Brown, Newnes , Dunstan, Longer are fit they will get games. This does not mean the selectors are stupid.
Exactly. I wouldn’t play at least 2 of them but others might play all of them and some play 2 but as you say that doesn’t mean selectors are crap. What it does mean is they understand their role in the side where as we guess. I still say some people want players in on Hope more than ability. Names like white ledger and Walsh prove that. They were spoken about as potential stars. They ended up very ordinary players but the coaches had no idea at the time.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Exactly. I wouldn’t play at least 2 of them but others might play all of them and some play 2 but as you say that doesn’t mean selectors are crap. What it does mean is they understand their role in the side where as we guess. I still say some people want players in on Hope more than ability. Names like white ledger and Walsh prove that. They were spoken about as potential stars. They ended up very ordinary players but the coaches had no idea at the time.
Sippossssssssss!

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
With whispers that we'll have 4 debutants this week, here is my crack at tomorrow's 22.

Geary - Joyce - Wilkie
Webster - Battle - Savage
Billings - Steele - Newnes
Gresham - Bruce - Acres
Long - Membrey - Kent

Marshall - Ross - Steven

Parker, Hind, Dunstan, Clark

Emg: Sinclair, Pierce, Lonie, Mckenzie

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
With whispers that we'll have 4 debutants this week, here is my crack at tomorrow's 22.

Geary - Joyce - Wilkie
Webster - Battle - Savage
Billings - Steele - Newnes
Gresham - Bruce - Acres
Long - Membrey - Kent

Marshall - Ross - Steven

Parker, Hind, Dunstan, Clark

Emg: Sinclair, Pierce, Lonie, Mckenzie
If we do have those 4 as debutantes this week, then the selectors will have stuck pretty much to the players that were selected in the JLT games - so if McKenzie can't get a game (injury and subsequent lack of fitness) neither will Acres. So Acres is out.

So who comes in - well the selectors have gone the two tall forward + Membrey setup in both JLT games so I think its Marshall for Acres and Pierce in the ruck.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
If we do have those 4 as debutantes this week, then the selectors will have stuck pretty much to the players that were selected in the JLT games - so if McKenzie can't get a game (injury and subsequent lack of fitness) neither will Acres. So Acres is out.

So who comes in - well the selectors have gone the two tall forward + Membrey setup in both JLT games so I think its Marshall for Acres and Pierce in the ruck.
Yes they went for that set up but ended winning both games with that set up for only 2 of the 8 quarters. The other major difference is Marshall hasn’t played a practice game as a forward so it might be the same with 3 marking players but not the same in personnal. I’m unsure Marshall 6 goals in 12 games will scare to many backs

Back