Opinion Best 22 Rd 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

100% Raymann.
Leon Cameron and Callan Ward both praised Frost's performance yesterday.
Frost on Buddy, David on Reid, and Giles on to the resting ruck (probably Derickx or LRT).

I can't see them leaving Kelly out. His disposal efficiency and decision making are excellent. The disposal against Sydney in the practice match was particularly bad and this isn't the strength of Palmer or Greene. I think Toby might be in a bit of trouble.

With Mohr out, I think we need Frost for the extra tall body in defense - Heater can cover a big, but I'd prefer not to put him one on one when he gives away too many inches.

Agreed on Toby being in trouble - Kelly is silk - but if theres one thing Toby can do, it's win the footy. Do we have enough grunt leaving him out of center contests ?

With Mohr out, I think we need Frost for the extra tall body in defense - Heater can cover a big, but I'd prefer not to put him one on one when he gives away too many inches.

Agreed on Toby being in trouble - Kelly is silk - but if theres one thing Toby can do, it's win the footy. Do we have enough grunt leaving him out of center contests ?

Doesn't do you much good if you keep handing it over to the other mob

Doesn't do you much good if you keep handing it over to the other mob

Times like these I wish I had disposal efficiency numbers broken down by handpass, short kick, long kick etc - my gut feeling is that Toby is ok with dish-out handpasses, but it's the foot kicks when he's in space that get us in trouble.

Times like these I wish I had disposal efficiency numbers broken down by handpass, short kick, long kick etc - my gut feeling is that Toby is ok with dish-out handpasses, but it's the foot kicks when he's in space that get us in trouble.

That may be the case but have to say my personal grimace scale with Toby is off the charts ;)

Gotta agree. I was looking at the list trying to fit 27 into 22 and one of the first names gone was Toby Greene. He can get the ball but after that put a blue and white striped apron on him because he become a butcher.

Palmer butchers it by foot but he's the tagger and so has more of an upside.

Hey, a bit o' luv for the Tobester, please. Like Hampton and Davis, his target rate isn't top class, but if 3 power forwards are in play, all he has to do is get the pill and boot it long.

Just watching the twos praccy, O'Rourke is looking good but getting plenty of rotations to the bench. Probably lacking a bit of fitness having been held out with back soreness but I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing ones regularly when he's up to speed. Then the issue is finding a spot for him...

Hey, a bit o' luv for the Tobester, please. Like Hampton and Davis, his target rate isn't top class, but if 3 power forwards are in play, all he has to do is get the pill and boot it long.

Don't get me wrong. I love Greene, tries his hardest, runs all day, never takes a backward step - but right at this moment, with so many mids in form, you pick the ones who can hit a target.

I've got Haynes, Kennedy and Bugg battling for the extra defender spot; assuming Giles plays down back. Frost is in.

Greene, Cogs, Kelly, WHE battling for probably two spots; Palmer is in as the tagger.

Tomlinson might also be unlikely. Unfortunate and unlucky.

I've got Haynes, Kennedy and Bugg battling for the extra defender spot; assuming Giles plays down back. Frost is in.

Greene, Cogs, Kelly, WHE battling for probably two spots; Palmer is in as the tagger.

Tomlinson might also be unlikely. Unfortunate and unlucky.
Haven't seen Tomlinson settled yet. Against Swans he was swung back & forward, in Wagga I think he may have been rucking at some stage. We can all see a Nick Riewoldt role for him if he develops the footy smarts,
incidentally,
my preferred half back line is Corr Mohr Shaw, coz it sounds so good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen Tomlinson settled yet. Against Swans he was swung back & forward, in Wagga I think he may have been rucking at some stage. We can all see a Nick Riewoldt role for him if he develops the footy smarts,
incidentally,

An back em up with a Davis Bugg Hunt

I am still keeping Haynes in the team, He could take a tall if need be has good pace and is a terriffic mark, seems to run out games OK... done enough for my best 22...either way someone is going to be unlucky but I reckon there will be plenty of rotations to keep players fresh and to cover injuries as the season goes on. Im sure there will be no room for poor performance or carrying niggles with the competition for spots now.....exciting times

Ellie Aquitaine....I like Palmer as a tagger too

Ok I'm going

Hunt Frost Haynes
Shaw Davis Hampton
Treloar Ward Scully
Lamb Patton Tomlinson
Smith Cameron Addison

Mumford Shiel Palmer
Whitfield Giles Cogs (Bugg/Greene/Kelly/Kennedy)

I think Kelly will miss with a promise to debut against the Saints. That leaves three...

Ok I'm going

Hunt Frost Haynes
Shaw Davis Hampton
Treloar Ward Scully
Lamb Patton Tomlinson
Smith Cameron Addison

Mumford Shiel Palmer
Whitfield Giles Cogs (Bugg/Greene/Kelly/Kennedy)

I think Kelly will miss with a promise to debut against the Saints. That leaves three...

Good looking team. Trouble is I really like 4 in the brackets and they all could be considered starting 18 let alone 22 and now three of them will miss out on even being a sub and I will miss out on the pleasure of watching them play.

Good looking team. Trouble is I really like 4 in the brackets and they all could be considered starting 18 let alone 22 and now three of them will miss out on even being a sub and I will miss out on the pleasure of watching them play.
Get used. It'll only get more log-jammed next year when Jono O'R and Barrett press legitimate claims for inclusion. Plus I think Cam McCarthy could grow into a Nat Fyfe-type. Midfield will be packed.

incidentally,
Tomlinson is a certainty.. Massive tank, elite speed, uses it well and is 193cm.

And with the limit on rotations this season that comes more into play especially with a side as young as ours, and would think any 50/50 call on a selection will go in favour of the guy with the bigger tank

My guess is that pretty darn soon we are going to see the return of the legendary 'guy having a breather in the forward pocket'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back