Opinion Best 22 Rd 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Also we saw wce do it with Kennedy, darling, lynch and coxanui. If the talls are mobile enough and good below the knees then it becomes a huge advantage

Hawthorn's been running similar with Franklin, Roughead, Gunston and Hale. Sydney will line up really tall sometimes with Franklin, Tippett, Reid and Pyke.

That's why I laugh at those saying you can't fit that many talls in. You can definitely use three if they're very good.

If any team was going to play too many talls, it has to be the one called the Giants. I can't see Patton being moved to CHB when we drafted him as a forward. Talk is McCarthy is being groomed as that CHB type anyway. Tipping around half way through 2014 season we will see Patton, Boyd and Cameron all in the forward line, injury excepted.

I cant see Reid playing in their round 1 side if all Buddy, Goodes, Tippett and Pyke as ruck are good to go. Down back they were saying. Maybe a 3rd tall with Grundy and Richards possibly replacing Everitts position. Only can see him forward if Goodes plays midfield and i just dont see room for all Rok, Hannerberry, Jetta, Mcglynn, Parker, ROK, JACK, JPK, Mitchell, Bird ect.

Anyway i see alot of Shiel in starting onball divisions. Whats his tank like, considering he will need a good one to run out a game in an onball for a full game?

Hawthorn's been running similar with Franklin, Roughead, Gunston and Hale. Sydney will line up really tall sometimes with Franklin, Tippett, Reid and Pyke.

That's why I laugh at those saying you can't fit that many talls in. You can definitely use three if they're very good.

I think we could definitely play Cameron (highly mobile like Franklin), Patton (strong physical presence like Roughead), Tomlinson (can play a high half forward like Gunston) and Boyd (second ruck) - key thing in my opinion is that one of them, namely Boyd has to play second ruck as otherwise the options on the bench get cut down too much. When this combination happens will depend on when Boyd can spend enough time in the ruck and Patton has proven his fitness to play out a full game. The fitness and ability to apply defensive pressure by Boyd and Patton will be the key question - something they definitely will be able to do but the required fitness takes a while. Hence why I think Giles is more likely to play initially ahead of either Boyd or Patton.

I don't think playing all those tall's is really a smart move for us. Particularly with the new rotations cap added to the mix. Remember we're a team that won only one game in 2013, so comparing us to Hawthorn and Sydney is a mugs game. Comparing us to Brisbane's threepeat team even a bigger mugs game. Boyd should get a few senior games if he's good enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays mostly in the seconds in 2014. It depends on what he shows. But don't rush him into the one's just because he's the no 1 pick of 2013.

But hey this is what we all love about footy. We all have our own ideas and love shootin' the breeze with other supporters.

I cant see Reid playing in their round 1 side if all Buddy, Goodes, Tippett and Pyke as ruck are good to go. Down back they were saying. Maybe a 3rd tall with Grundy and Richards possibly replacing Everitts position. Only can see him forward if Goodes plays midfield and i just dont see room for all Rok, Hannerberry, Jetta, Mcglynn, Parker, ROK, JACK, JPK, Mitchell, Bird ect.

Anyway i see alot of Shiel in starting onball divisions. Whats his tank like, considering he will need a good one to run out a game in an onball for a full game?
Subjective but he is an absolute jet. I noticed he was in the same running group as scully, Tomlinson and Whitfield... So he should have a great tank to go with them.

Scully, Whitfield, Kelly, hoskin-Elliot, Tomlinson... Don't think these guys are too worried about less rotations. Just leave them on a wing all day.

Having a really tall forward line only works if those tall men can put on the forward defensive pressure that is important in today's AFL game. While I think Cameron can do this, I'm not sure Patton & Boyd can at this stage of their careers. So having all three of them in the forward line, while playing Mumford & Giles as rucks is a risky move IMHO.

Having said that, it's not like we're going to be playing finals this season, so the coaching staff have the luxury of experimenting with the line up a bit. So it wouldn't surprise me to see them do it, and we don't know at this stage how injury will affect the team this year.

It varies a lot by poster. You can't tar the whole board with that statement - I loved Hampton for ages, only to be frustrated by his dumb moments but still rated his talent. I still don't rate Haynes as highly as some. I'm sure other posters have their own specific opinion on each as well.

I can see Hampton is going to be a 10 year 200 game player for the Giants and the poor decision making will hopefully be gone by the end of this season having Shaw and Hunt around will help his development a lot.
As for Haynes he may look elsewhere at the end of the season if he is not getting enough opportunities which is a real shame as he has the potential

I'm happy about that. If the kids want games then they have to bash down the door and earn them. Josh hunt and Heath shaw will provide the steel that we missed when cornes was injured. Hopefully gilham and Davis can stay fit and in form and it should stop the flood of goals scored against us. Hampton, Haynes, plowman, frost, bugg and corr have alot of work to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the addition of several high class experienced recruits and your initial intake now having three preseasons under their belt that the weekly merry-go-round of changes will stop for you guys. Kids should now have to earn a senior call up and not be gifted games because it's their turn to have a senior run.

I'm expecting that your R1 side will be (apart from injuries) your best 22. I don't know your players that well but I did a quick exercise and on paper it looks well equiped in all areas. The addition of those three Premiership players gives your side a much more solid look. The games start very soon, how do you now think that 22 looks?

i always think the bugg has to play.
has the ability to hit it hard and other players seem to like hi attitude.
every team has one of those players that may lack a little bit of talent,but make it up with BALLS

Im not sold on Gilham and Hunt in the same side, because they are both slow. Throw Frost or Buntine in for one of those two and Im feeling happier.

Im not sold on Gilham and Hunt in the same side, because they are both slow. Throw Frost or Buntine in for one of those two and Im feeling happier.

Good point IanW ... Frost did his chances no harm yesterday - great run down of JC.

At this stage we can chose between agility or experience ... no perfect solution but we need games in the kids but no gift games.

Holy crap Just read that Boyd is now 202cm.. He is taller than Giles(200cm) and Phillips(201cm) now and only a bit shorter than downie(203cm) and lobb(206cm).

Holy crap Just read that Boyd is now 202cm.. He is taller than Giles(200cm) and Phillips(201cm) now and only a bit shorter than downie(203cm) and lobb(206cm).

Noticed in a reply on twitter Boyd said that he was working with both the forward group and the ruck group so it will be interesting to see if he does more then just the odd hit out this year.

Noticed in a reply on twitter Boyd said that he was working with both the forward group and the ruck group so it will be interesting to see if he does more then just the odd hit out this year.
name dropping here,
i spoke to mitch honeychurch awhile ago and asked about the general?
"he will come across as a bighead,but believe me hes the best kid ive played alongside and honest,dont think hes a showoff,because hes a very smart grounded person"
mitch was drafted by the western bulldogs and spoke very highly about our general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back