Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok here is where I think the club will go for rd 1 based on what we have seen and what has been reported on here.

B- Geary Howard Wilkie
HB- Roberton Carlisle Long
C - Hill Hanners Billings
HF - Gresh Membrey Butler
F - Lonie Marshall King

FOL - Ryder Steele Ross

INT - Dunstan Clarke Jones Battle

Emg: Brown Webster Savage Kent.

smokies - Marsh, Hind, Webster if they have ripping form over the next two pre season games.

Hey guys surely Gresham gets a starting mid spot? At a cherry ripe age ready to explode and looked great last night.

Asking for fantasy purposes, what do you guys think?
Ratten stated in the off season that he'd like to get Gresham forward more than last year as he sees him as a serious weapon.

He was probably our best player until he went off on Thursday though. 9 clearances from just over half a game.

I think with Hannebery and Jones in we might see him sneak forward more than last year, but will still likely spend a lot of time through the guts.

Ratten stated in the off season that he'd like to get Gresham forward more than last year as he sees him as a serious weapon.

He was probably our best player until he went off on Thursday though. 9 clearances from just over half a game.

I think with Hannebery and Jones in we might see him sneak forward more than last year, but will still likely spend a lot of time through the guts.
I was thinking that too but Gresham spoke on the weekend about how they are planning on a 80-20 midfield-forward split this year. Will be interesting to see how the divide the time up on ball with all the mids.

He spent the great majority of his on-field time last season in the guts (hence kicking just 15 goals, when he probably would have kicked 40 had he kept playing mainly forward), and would often start matches in there, and if last night is anything to go by I'm not sure this year will be much different.

Looks like he might be about to explode in there. Only a matter of time, IMO.
Just needs to take 3 steps less before disposing of the ball.

Really? Cos Gresham said he and Ratten wanted to up his mid minutes in an interview 2 days ago from a 60/40 split to a 70/30 or 80/20 split...

Really? Cos Gresham said he and Ratten wanted to up his mid minutes in an interview 2 days ago from a 60/40 split to a 70/30 or 80/20 split...
100% he did say that. It was around trade time I think.

Obviously his idea has changed since then if that what he said two days ago though, I did not hear that. I'm guessing that means he must really be impressing through the midfield.

I'd be disappointed to see him only spend 20% game time forward though. He's way to good of a forward to only be having the odd rest down there.

100% he did say that. It was around trade time I think.

Obviously his idea has changed since then if that what he said two days ago though, I did not hear that. I'm guessing that means he must really be impressing through the midfield.

I'd be disappointed to see him only spend 20% game time forward though. He's way to good of a forward to only be having the odd rest down there.
Seeing Butler fwd on Thursday night probably helped with the more time in mid strategy for Gresh.

Going to be so interesting come round one about which mids play . Somehow they have to fit , Gresham , Steele , Ross , Hannebery, Jones , Hill , Dunstan , Clark , Billings , and Sinclair .

And there is limited space up forward with King , Ryder/Marshall , Lonie , Membrey , Kent , Butler , Battle ? , Parker , Hind , plus some of the young kids .

In defence we have to choose 6 from Brown , Geary , Webster , Howard , Carlisle, Robbo , Wilkie , Savage , Coffield , Paton , Clark (if he’s not in the mid ) , Joyce , Clavarino, Austin , Long , Battle , DMac , and Marsh .

Will be interesting to see if Ratts keeps playing Long back . And where will Battle fit in ?

Everybody seems to be picking Brown out of the side but he is still one of the best defensive players in the AFL and surely will be picked to take on Brown from North in round one . Pretty sure Our Brown has a good record against their Brown . Our Brown had an excellent year last year even though he missed some games for team balance . If Brown plays , and you would think Carlisle will too , where does that leave Battle , Howard and Robbo ? Robbo at least can take on a mid sized forward .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Going to be so interesting come round one about which mids play . Somehow they have to fit , Gresham , Steele , Ross , Hannebery, Jones , Hill , Dunstan , Clark , Billings , and Sinclair .

And there is limited space up forward with King , Ryder/Marshall , Lonie , Membrey , Kent , Butler , Battle ? , Parker , Hind , plus some of the young kids .

In defence we have to choose 6 from Brown , Geary , Webster , Howard , Carlisle, Robbo , Wilkie , Savage , Coffield , Paton , Clark (if he’s not in the mid ) , Joyce , Clavarino, Austin , Long , Battle , DMac , and Marsh .

Will be interesting to see if Ratts keeps playing Long back . And where will Battle fit in ?

Everybody seems to be picking Brown out of the side but he is still one of the best defensive players in the AFL and surely will be picked to take on Brown from North in round one . Pretty sure Our Brown has a good record against their Brown . Our Brown had an excellent year last year even though he missed some games for team balance . If Brown plays , and you would think Carlisle will too , where does that leave Battle , Howard and Robbo ? Robbo at least can take on a mid sized forward .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
BT66, Brown was shown where he stood when they took so long before re-signing him - he most probably fitter than anytime in his career and he is as you say one of the best defensive players around , but I feel they are going to try and use Howard in his place.
Long is another who if he performs strongly in these practice games could well play on the halfback flank and if he does where does Hunter Clark , Coffield play because they most probably go with Geary , Howard , Wilkie , Long , Carlisle , Roberton or Webster.

The thing that will be good to see is if Brown , Austin and Clavarino get a run in the preseason.

A guy like Savage could well be playing in the 2s because we can't fit him into the team , the same with Sinclair because how can you fit him in the team with all the players we have.

Ok position wise I don't have a clue where they will play but I feel this will be around our best 22 - I'm picking Roberton because they must have confidence in him in giving him a leadership role.

Geary - Howard - Wilkie
Hunter Clark - Carlisle - Roberton or Webster
Jones - Hannebery - Hill
Billings - Membery - Battle
Lonie - King - Butler

Marshall / Ross / Gresham

Ryder - Dunstan - Steele - XXXX

Guys like Sinclair , Savage , Paton , Long , Marsh , Kent and Bytel will all be looking for a run - King may well be given time in the 2s , or we get a few injuries , but whatever happens we now have strength on our bench.

Parker? I wouldn't be too surprised to see him come into the team on a forward flank at some stage and cement his spot by year's end. Hill, Long, Gresh, Parker. There is some skill, speed, and unpredictability there. Add in some edge, anger and rage from the likes of Jones, Steele, Carlisle, Battle...and the cool heads of Robbo, Hanner's, Wilkie, Membrey.
It could be a very good year indeed if it all clicks.

1 pratice game down, 2 more to go, some players not yet given a chance. So here's my latest take on starting 22 Round 1

At this stage Howard will need to do better than last week to get a run ahead of Brown. Long didn't do enough to demand a spot at HBF. Geary & Robbo subject fitness & performance in the next games. 4th spot on the bench a bit of a lottery. Tall = Battle Mid = Sinclair

B- Geary Brown Wilkie

HB- Roberton Carlisle Savage

C - Hill Steele Billings

F - Lonie Marshall King

FOL - Ryder Ross Dunstan

INT - Clark Jones Hanners ???????

BT66, Brown was shown where he stood when they took so long before re-signing him - he most probably fitter than anytime in his career and he is as you say one of the best defensive players around , but I feel they are going to try and use Howard in his place.

I would think no question Howard is bookmarked as a long term KPD. But I think there will be opponents when Brown makes more sense - like North Melbourne. With players like Brown and Geary I hope they will take a horses for courses approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Brown make more sense against North Melbourne?

Because he has a pretty good record against Brown. Had 6 kicked on him once but B.Brown's next best on N.Brown is 2. Howard may not have the strength to hold Brown off his game.

Alternatively they may decide that it is a learning opportunity for Howard.

The game against the Hawks last week was just a tester, and there's a long way to go yet for some players but at least there is now competition for many senior positions.

Because he has a pretty good record against Brown. Had 6 kicked on him once but B.Brown's next best on N.Brown is 2. Howard may not have the strength to hold Brown off his game.

Alternatively they may decide that it is a learning opportunity for Howard.
I'd be interested to know how many times they've played on each other?

All I know is the only time they have matched up on each other over the last 2 years Brown kicked 6.

If we didn't bring Howard in to play on 200cm key forwards, I'm not sure why we did?

Ben has 5cm on Nathan.

Ratts & his selection team would have the majority of the 22 spots locked in IMO. That would’ve been determined from last years games, built up reputation of the players, match sims, structures & their own subjective opinion of what they want the team to look like. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is as little as two spots up for grabs. The practice matches mean very little IMO. It’s all about getting minutes into players & trialling new game plans/structures. New blokes such as Howard, Butler, Paddy, Jones & Hill (obviously) are certainties unless injured/suspended.

I'd be interested to know how many times they've played on each other?

All I know is the only time they have matched up on each other over the last 2 years Brown kicked 6.

If we didn't bring Howard in to play on 200cm key forwards, I'm not sure why we did?

Ben has 5cm on Nathan.

Best I can see it is 5 times (back to 2016) and B.Brown has 6, 1, 2, 2,1, against him.

Last edited:
Best I can see it is 6 times (including 2017) and B.Brown has 6, 1, 2, 2,1,2 against him.
You must have gone back a fair way to find them. Half of those games must have been back when Nathan was playing for Collingwood were they?

Also, how do you know he was playing non Brown for those games at Collingwood?

I think the only game they've played on each other over the last 2 years is more relevent than games back in 2014. I think both Brown's are very different players since then.

As I said, if we didn't give up a high first round pick for Howard to play on 200cm key forwards I'm not sure why we did?

Edit: I can only find one time at Collingwood where both players were named when they played each other? 3 times at St Kilda. That's a total of 4.

6 - 2018
2 - 2017 Round 22
1- 2017 Round 13
2 - 2016 (Collingwood)

Where are the other two?

Last edited:
Howard plays.

Howard has a bit of time to show what he's got, and i hope he does that.
If he doesn't, and Brown looks like he's doing well, the club can tell him ( Howard) they accept mediocrity, ( select him), or they can select Brown and let Howard work his way in.

1 pratice game down, 2 more to go, some players not yet given a chance. So here's my latest take on starting 22 Round 1

At this stage Howard will need to do better than last week to get a run ahead of Brown. Long didn't do enough to demand a spot at HBF. Geary & Robbo subject fitness & performance in the next games. 4th spot on the bench a bit of a lottery. Tall = Battle Mid = Sinclair

B- Geary Brown Wilkie

HB- Roberton Carlisle Savage

C - Hill Steele Billings

F - Lonie Marshall King

FOL - Ryder Ross Dunstan

INT - Clark Jones Hanners ???????

Nailed it as far as i'm concerned. Yes its controversial to have Brown ahead of Howard, but there is time for that to change.
And that 4th spot is totally up for grabs.
Could be Battle, Long, Sinclair, Bytel, Paton, even Marsh depending what shows up during the remaining practice games.

You must have gone back a fair way to find them. Half of those games must have been back when Nathan was playing for Collingwood were they?

Also, how do you know he was playing non Brown for those games at Collingwood?

I think the only game they've played on each other over the last 2 years is more relevent than games back in 2014. I think both Brown's are very different players since then.

As I said, if we didn't give up a high first round pick for Howard to play on 200cm key forwards I'm not sure why we did?

Edit: I can only find one time at Collingwood where both players were named when they played each other? 3 times at St Kilda. That's a total of 4.

6 - 2018
2 - 2017 Round 22
1- 2017 Round 13
2 - 2016 (Collingwood)

Where are the other two?

Back to 2015.You don't know Brown was playing on Brown the whole times. But it is highly likely. Is it relevant to today? For sure, Brown is as fit as ever and he is a big body that can hold Brown off the lead or ball. Howard is probably better equipped in the air but if Brown is getting lots of opportunities to compete in the air he will kick a few.

I think North have one chance to beat us - Brown gets off the leash. At this stage I would feel more comfortable with N.Brown's experience and strength to stop that happening than Howard's height. I'd have Brown in if B.Brown is playing.

Back to 2015.You don't know Brown was playing on Brown the whole times. But it is highly likely. Is it relevant to today? For sure, Brown is as fit as ever and he is a big body that can hold Brown off the lead or ball. Howard is probably better equipped in the air but if Brown is getting lots of opportunities to compete in the air he will kick a few.

I think North have one chance to beat us - Brown gets off the leash. At this stage I would feel more comfortable with N.Brown's experience and strength to stop that happening than Howard's height. I'd have Brown in if B.Brown is playing.
How is it highly likely?

Petrie was named at FF both times so why is it more likely he was playing on Brown? They also had Waite while the Pies had Frost who seems like the more suitable match up for Brown. Sounds like a guess to me, but it suits the
argument.

The only times I can be sure they were against each other were the St Kilda games where he had 6 kicked on him the last time so you could say Brown got off the leash.

I'd be more comfortable with Howard and I'm almost sure he'll play.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back