Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

BT66, Brown was shown where he stood when they took so long before re-signing him - he most probably fitter than anytime in his career and he is as you say one of the best defensive players around , but I feel they are going to try and use Howard in his place.
Long is another who if he performs strongly in these practice games could well play on the halfback flank and if he does where does Hunter Clark , Coffield play because they most probably go with Geary , Howard , Wilkie , Long , Carlisle , Roberton or Webster.

The thing that will be good to see is if Brown , Austin and Clavarino get a run in the preseason.

A guy like Savage could well be playing in the 2s because we can't fit him into the team , the same with Sinclair because how can you fit him in the team with all the players we have.

Ok position wise I don't have a clue where they will play but I feel this will be around our best 22 - I'm picking Roberton because they must have confidence in him in giving him a leadership role.

Geary - Howard - Wilkie
Hunter Clark - Carlisle - Roberton or Webster
Jones - Hannebery - Hill
Billings - Membery - Battle
Lonie - King - Butler

Marshall / Ross / Gresham

Ryder - Dunstan - Steele - XXXX

Guys like Sinclair , Savage , Paton , Long , Marsh , Kent and Bytel will all be looking for a run - King may well be given time in the 2s , or we get a few injuries , but whatever happens we now have strength on our bench.
Hard to argue with that team . Interesting with Brown , according to Champion Data , last season he recorded the third most spoils per game of any player in the AFL . He also conceded just 17 goals across his 14 match ups that exceeded 40 minutes , 4 of which came in one game against Franklin . in one on one contests he lost only 16% of the 62 contests he defended , the second best percentage of the top 50 contest defenders. So yes we have recruited Howard but we shouldnt dismiss Brown out of our team too quickly . i just think that as we are playing against North they may go with Brown against Brown first up but i could be wrong lol.

So Marley Williams is out for round one.

Also quite a few best 22 players missing on the weekend for North.

Are all these guys expected to be back before round one?

Brown, Tarrant, Polec, Ziebell & LDU should all be right for Round 1.

Not sure Polec will be much chop but others should be fine.

Stats wise, interestingly we’ve only won 1 of our last 10 Round 1 games.

Seems like they might be a bit underdone for match fitness round one though.

Lies
Brissie 2018
Gold Coast 2019
We’ve won our last 2 R1 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the info mate.

Where is Polec up to? Is he back running yet?

I’d say he’ll play and be ok - never really trains much and never see him running but is always one of the fittest and best uses - bit of a freak.
Brown will be Brown
Ziebell is Ziebell
Tarrant will go ok first up as always.

Brown and Tarrant never have uninterrupted Pre-Seasons. Like never.

Those blokes are the least of our concern tbh!

Marsh Series 1 update:

Geary Howard Wilkie
Clark Carlisle Savage
Hill Steele Billings
Membrey King Butler
Lonie Ryder Gresham
Marshall Ross Hannebury
Dunstan Roberton Jones Sinclair

- Really struggling to find an actual position for Battle.
- Wilkie ahead of Roberton right now for that role.
- Paton could easily replace Geary or Savage IMO.
- Kent very unlucky.

Most of the side seem to pick themselves atm.

If Robbo is good to go round one, then Coff, Long and Savage are all probably fighting for one spot IMO.

Coffield was probably slightly better than the other 2 on Thursday but none really stood out.

Sinclair and Kent might be battling out for a spot at the other end?

Hard to argue with that team . Interesting with Brown , according to Champion Data , last season he recorded the third most spoils per game of any player in the AFL . He also conceded just 17 goals across his 14 match ups that exceeded 40 minutes , 4 of which came in one game against Franklin . in one on one contests he lost only 16% of the 62 contests he defended , the second best percentage of the top 50 contest defenders. So yes we have recruited Howard but we shouldnt dismiss Brown out of our team too quickly . i just think that as we are playing against North they may go with Brown against Brown first up but i could be wrong lol.
BT any word if Bytel will get a run on Friday against Hawthorn.

Back to battle debate....potentially need some education....

if we’re set on 3 talls back and forward along with a ruck and each tall plays 85-90% do we not need a 7th tall in battle to replace the 7*10-15%?

Appreciate that we may still have an additional tall to the oppos who may use a tall mid/hb to plug the tall rotations but simplistically at least the time on field for a swinging tall is there isn’t it?

if we’re set on 3 talls back and forward along with a ruck and each tall plays 85-90% do we not need a 7th tall in battle to replace the 7*10-15%?

Appreciate that we may still have an additional tall to the oppos who may use a tall mid/hb to plug the tall rotations but simplistically at least the time on field for a swinging tall is there isn’t it?
I'm not great at percentages. We may have to call plugger66 in for this equation...

giphy (9).gif

I thought the exact same thing the other day. He can cover 10 mins up forward and 10 mins down back per quarter, with occasionally rotations on a wing. If they organise their rotations right it could work.
Start: Battle off.
5 mins: King comes to bench, battle forward.
10 mins: Ryder off, King on as a KF, Battle still KF.
15 mins: Battle off, Ryder into ruck, Marshall forward.
Etc. repeat A similar rotation with key defenders in the second half of the quarter.

See there in a nutshell is why you have the Blake Acres role. People hate it but there is a need for a tall(ish) swingman in the team.

Current contenders Josh Battle and Jono Marsh, other possibilities are Callum Wilkie, Dougal Howard and maybe Logan Austin if he ever is available.

Its a real position - problem is that it takes a pretty good player to play it very well. (Think Roughie, B Goddard, the Hoff and even Jack Gunston)

What if he’s spudding it up for the other 85-90% of the game? Don’t think that’s worth the 2-3 minutes a quarter to cover a tall on the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back