Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Zero injuries. Cant remember us being so fit.

Means players who should be in the 22 wont be.
Reckon two regulars will miss out in Battle and Coffield.

Hind, Parker, Marsh, Sinclair, Kent all would have got a game last year.

Geary is lucky he is captain should have a run in the twos but wont. Reckon Ross for Hanners, he needs a long run in the twos, not ready.

Our defence is a surprise with Wilkie making a spot his own and Long looking pretty good.

Zero injuries. Cant remember us being so fit.

Means players who should be in the 22 wont be.
Reckon two regulars will miss out in Battle and Coffield.

Hind, Parker, Marsh, Sinclair, Kent all would have got a game last year.

Geary is lucky he is captain should have a run in the twos but wont. Reckon Ross for Hanners, he needs a long run in the twos, not ready.

Our defence is a surprise with Wilkie making a spot his own and Long looking pretty good.

If Paton and Battle miss out as we expect them to they have every right to be filthy. It’s debatable whether the guys they’d make way for are actually better players than them right now.

If Paton and Battle miss out as we expect them to they have every right to be filthy. It’s debatable whether the guys they’d make way for are actually better players than them right now.
Conversely the two who made it would be dirty if Battle and Paton took their place.

Disappointed, yes.

Not sure either have the right to be dirty though.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geary - Howard - Wilkie
Clark - Carlisle - Long
Hill - Steele - Billings
Butler - Membrey - Gresham
Lonie - King - Battle

Marshall - Dunstan - Ross

Int: Jones, Hannebery, Roberton, Ryder

Not sold on the two rucks but we will obviously go with it. Issue for me is that Ryder does not look effective forward at all.

Battle looks lost again playing up the ground but when moved forward looked dangerous. 8 marks in half a game of footy is a fair effort.

I think we are stuck playing Marshall forward most of the time, and he only rucks to relieve Ryder.

I think we are stuck playing Marshall forward most of the time, and he only rucks to relieve Ryder.

The up side is that marshall looks just as much an animal up forward as he does around the ground rucking.

I reckon roma will kick a bag of 10 this year at some stage

I'm not keen on saying a definite 22 but these I'm pretty sure on.

Backs. Howard, Carlisle, Wilkie, Long, Clark.
Question marks. Roberton and Geary conditioning and being match ready.
Possibles. Coffield, Paton, Savage.

Mids. Hill, Billings, Steele, Jones, Ryder.
Question marks. Ross (condition), Gresham (condition), Hannebury, (condition), Dunstan (structure, skills, speed)
Possibles. Marsh, Bytel.

Forwards. King, Marshall, Membrey, Lonie
Possibles. Kent, Hind, Butler, Battle.

Considerations.
Battle, pros: if he plays he adds mobility and multiple options as a tall forward/defender/wingman, allows talls to rest on bench a gives injury cover in all parts of the ground, cons: better as a single position player but not better than any of the KPPs, may play instead of Roberton or King.
Dunstan, pros: commitment, physicality, ball getting at contest and stoppages, known quantity, cons: single position, poor speed, one way runner, disposal by foot with and without pressure. Any Issues with Ross, Hanners or Gresh and he's a lock but.....
Marsh, pros: physicality, speed, size, can play on every line and a real point of difference, cons: game involvement definite position, disposal.
Small Forward, defensive pressure vs offensive ability, Lonie vs Kent vs Butler vs Gresham vs Parker

My expected.
Geary: Howard: Wilkie
Long: Carlisle: Clark
Hill: Ross: Billings
Membrey: King: Butler
Lonie: Marshall, Gresham.
Ryder: Steele: Jones

Battle: Hannebury:

2 spots between, Dunstan, Coffield, Paton, Marsh, Coffield, Bytel, Hind, Roberton.

North will be very physical, Marsh and Dunstan could demand a place on that alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geary Howard Robbo
Long

Question marks. Ross (condition), Gresham (condition), Hannebury, (condition), Dunstan (structure, skills, speed)
Possibles. Marsh, Bytel.

Considerations.
Battle, pros: if he plays he adds mobility and multiple options as a tall forward/defender/wingman, allows talls to rest on bench a gives injury cover in all parts of the ground, cons: better as a single position player but not better than any of the KPPs, may play instead of Roberton or King.
Dunstan, pros: commitment, physicality, ball getting at contest and stoppages, known quantity, cons: single position, poor speed, one way runner, disposal by foot with and without pressure. Any Issues with Ross, Hanners or Gresh and he's a lock but.....
Marsh, pros: physicality, speed, size, can play on every line and a real point of difference, cons: game involvement definite position, disposal.
Small Forward, defensive pressure vs offensive ability, Lonie vs Kent vs Butler vs Gresham vs Parker

My expected.

2 spots between, Dunstan, Coffield, Paton, Marsh, Coffield, Bytel, Hind, Roberton.

North will be very physical, Marsh and Dunstan could demand a place on that alone.
Dunstan and Roberton are locks

Dunstan's a popular whipping boy on here but I reckon he's a Round 1 lock too. His style is not dissimilar to how Ratts played himself. If Ratts didn't like him I reckon he would've been moved on in the last trade period. Dunstan's just about our best extractor and with Steele they are our two best clearance players. Pity Dunstan can't hit the side of a barn from 30 metres away but at the moment its his spot to lose. He's definitely done enough preseason to play round 1 and beyond.

Like everyone here, I can see a definitive 21, with the pure love for Battle being the people's vote for the 22nd spot.

SENIORS

FB: Geary, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Roberton, Carlisle, Long
R: Ryder, Dunstan, Ross
C: Hill, Steele, Billings
HF: Gresham, Marshall, Membrey
FF: Lonie, King, Butler
IC: Hannerbery, Clark, Jones, Battle

RESERVES

FB: Clavarino, Brown, Webster
HB: Coffield, Joyce, Paton
R: Abbott, Bytel, McKenzie
C: Phillips, Sinclair, Savage
HF: Parker, Marsh, Kent
FF: Hind, Mayo, Austin
IC: Langlands, Byrnes, Connolly, Alabakis, Bell

Even if Battle doesn't get names, I think there is going to be plenty of opportunities through the year, and I think once he gets a sniff of it he will perform to a standard which won't get him dropped.

Hanners, Gears, Robbo all have question marks for mine, whether injury or getting back up to speed, while King will be rested once or twice throughout the year when needed, so he will get an opportunity to make his presence felt.

I know our team will be affected by injury throughout the year, but if our VFL team looks like that, hopefully there is success coming their way, and if there is, hopefully it's a positive environment and blokes are optimistic when playing instead of concerned about breaking into the seniors. This is the perspective our VFL players need to take to perform.
This looks Significantly good. I would have the same 1st team. I reckon our 2nds will give it a good shake if we stay fit.

The below have either all shown to be good players or have shown something this preseason, so interesting to see how they can go and who will break into the 22
Hind, Parker, Kent, Savage, Sinclair, Coff, Marsh, JWeb and Paton.

Dunstan's a popular whipping boy on here but I reckon he's a Round 1 lock too. His style is not dissimilar to how Ratts played himself. If Ratts didn't like him I reckon he would've been moved on in the last trade period. Dunstan's just about our best extractor and with Steele they are our two best clearance players. Pity Dunstan can't hit the side of a barn from 30 metres away but at the moment its his spot to lose. He's definitely done enough preseason to play round 1 and beyond.
He's also the slowest, with the worst disposal and the most limited, cannot play any other position, not even as a run with, cannot run 2 ways. I'm not saying he doesn't have good qualities just that like nearly every player he has weaknesses. Ratts has maintained that players need to be able to kick really well, there is always a stocktake of positives and negatives, the match committee will have their work cut out for them.

With time and space he is fine it’s when and how he gets his possessions

OK - here's my final Round 1 team.

Geary Howard Paton
Long Wilkie Clark
Billings Steele Hill
Gresham Membrey Butler
Lonie King Ryder
Marshall Ross Dunstan
Hannebury Jones Kent Roberton
EM: Carlisle Sinclair Battle

I think Carlisle will play instead of Paton, but it's not what I'd do.

Possibles. Marsh, Bytel.

Considerations.

My expected.

Agree on nth physical

Either as you said marsh and Dunstan to stand up to them

Or run them off their feet , then hind a certain in

FB: Wilkie, Howard , Geary
HB: Long, Carlisle , Roberton
C: Billings, Ross , Hill
HF Marshall ,Gresham , Membrey
FF: Butler, King , Lonie

R: Ryder, Steele, Dunstan

Hannebury, Clark, Jones, Kent. ( Clark and Jones to rotate midfield and backline, Kent to go forward when Gresham goes midfield. )

Emergencies to be selected based on risk :
Battle : he's really not a centre square player so i don't like him on the bench ahead of Kent. - Carlisle , King, Membrey or one of the HB flankers.
Sinclair : Versatile all rounder , backup for the midfield or forward line. ( was a tossup him or Kent for the 22 ).
Abbott : If Ryder was injured , i think i'd use Abbott and keep the remaining structure.
Brown : Is in good form and fit. Backup for Howard.
Paton : Geary or one of the other backs. I'd like to see him develop his game so he can spend time in the midfield.
Savage : A head of Coffiield , but Coffield will at some point surpass him.
Hind : Billings, Hill, or one of the forwards.

Others:
Coffield , I'm happy with his progress.
Langlands, Could still make it.
Marsh , I see him as a Sam Gilbert type, but with better disposal and a bit more pace.
Bytel/Byrnes Good VFL performances could see them get a chance during the year.
Joyce , If the s**t hits the fan....he's not the worst thing ever. Remember having Delaney, Maister, or Pattison? Joel Tippett spent 6 seasons on AFL lists.
Webster, in the running if he hits form. But for years he's always been first picked, yet never strung together 22 games. Susceptible to injury.

Last edited:
OK - here's my final Round 1 team.

Geary Howard Paton
Long Wilkie Clark
Billings Steele Hill
Gresham Membrey Butler
Lonie King Ryder
Marshall Ross Dunstan
Hannebury Jones Kent Roberton
EM: Carlisle Sinclair Battle

I think Carlisle will play instead of Paton, but it's not what I'd do.
Whether Ben Brown plays or not, North will have 2 x 200cm KPP's up forward.

I wouldn't feel comfortable about Wilkie giving up 10cm as a KPP.

Interesting article in today's HUN saying that Jimmeh is expected to play in R1.

I just can't see how he plays in the ones, without having played either of the two games where we put in strong teams. A couple of good games for Sandy and I expect him to challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back