Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If it ain't broke dont fix it....why move Battle from defence?

Sure we have an issue with that CHF lead up role now that Bruce is gone. Id stick with King, Members Marshall and Ryder to start with and see how it goes. Marshall and Ryder take away a KDP allowing Members the 3rd string defender.

Battle was probably our most reassuring reliable defender alongside Wilkie last season. Ironic given they both played down back for us first time. He gives you that sense of control. Reminds me of Robbie Tarrant

I agree, the question is can all of Howard, Carlisle, Battle and Wilkie play in the same backline? Guess we’ll find out

That senior team is pretty much bang on for mine.
How handy will it be if we can play Gresham and Billings forward through big chunks of the season.

Geary - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Clark
Hill - Ross - Jones
Billings - Battle - Lonie
Membrey - King - Gresham

Marshall - Steele - Hannebery

Ryder, Dunstan, Coffield, Butler

Sandringham

Webster - Austin - Joyce
Savage - Clav - Marsh
McKenzie - Bytel - Langlands
Hind - Mayo - Long
Parker - *McCartin - Kent

*Ruck - Sinclair - Paton

Int: Phillips, draftees

Obviously McCartin is very unlikely, I'd like is to rookie someone for depth and to give Mayo a hand at Sandy e.g. Buzza

Same thing goes for a ruckman.

We don't need Brown judging by that. That's one area we have depth in now.

Hopefully we can use our first draft pick on a mid and find a late steal, then a ruckman and then rookie a mature age key forward.

Sure we have an issue with that CHF lead up role now that Bruce is gone. Id stick with King, Members Marshall and Ryder to start with and see how it goes. Marshall and Ryder take away a KDP allowing Members the 3rd string defender.

Battle was probably our most reassuring reliable defender alongside Wilkie last season. Ironic given they both played down back for us first time. He gives you that sense of control. Reminds me of Robbie Tarrant
Because Battle was only really playing down back out of necessity in my opinion, we knew Carlisle wasn’t going to be available until later in the year, we had no idea Wilkie would turn out to be the player he was and that left us with Brown and basically nobody else because Robbo was out too.

Heading into this season we have Carlisle coming off of a full pre-season hopefully and the addition of Dougal Howard as well as Wilkie and from all reports Robbo.

Sometimes a forward has to go back too it helps them read the game and can then help if they do eventually go back forward, which I think they’ll do with Battle!

Because Battle was only really playing down back out of necessity in my opinion, we knew Carlisle wasn’t going to be available until later in the year, we had no idea Wilkie would turn out to be the player he was and that left us with Brown and basically nobody else because Robbo was out too.

Heading into this season we have Carlisle coming off of a full pre-season hopefully and the addition of Dougal Howard as well as Wilkie and from all reports Robbo.

Sometimes a forward has to go back too it helps them read the game and can then help if they do eventually go back forward, which I think they’ll do with Battle!
Fair enough but how does battle fit up forward if king plays which I expect they will want.

Fair enough but how does battle fit up forward if king plays which I expect they will want.
He may not? Personally speaking probably don’t have battle in our starting 22 round 1, maybe he’s down at sandy playing forward or even back who knows! Just don’t see him being a backmen his whole career, drafted as a forward looks a natural forward when he goes down there, could see a similar transition to Bruce with Battle.

He may not? Personally speaking probably don’t have battle in our starting 22 round 1, maybe he’s down at sandy playing forward or even back who knows! Just don’t see him being a backmen his whole career, drafted as a forward looks a natural forward when he goes down there, could see a similar transition to Bruce with Battle.
Traded? Seriously. Rather Wilkie dropped. Battle is one of our most promising players.

contrary to my last 22 I think ryder starts at sandy if king plays. battle or carlisle can 'contest' the ruck for five minutes a quarter. it's not ideal but if one has to miss out of our talls (king, skunk, battle, snake, doogs, ryder) I think it should be ryder, unless we think he will offer more up forward than battle

contrary to my last 22 I think ryder starts at sandy if king plays. battle or carlisle can 'contest' the ruck for five minutes a quarter. it's not ideal but if one has to miss out of our talls (king, skunk, battle, snake, doogs, ryder) I think it should be ryder, unless we think he will offer more up forward than battle
Agree but it’s not going to happen. Well at least early

Thinking we are looking for speed in our small forwards now we are looking to go with a 3 tall setup.

Butler, hind, Parker, Kent and long fit the bill.

Can see Lonie missing out on speed unless he can average close to 2 goals a game.

Thinking we are looking for speed in our small forwards now we are looking to go with a 3 tall setup.

Butler, hind, Parker, Kent and long fit the bill.

Can see Lonie missing out on speed unless he can average close to 2 goals a game.

Degoey and Dale get 2 a game.
Others like Tom Papley, highly sought after during the trade period 1.7.
Lonie got 1.5 in 2018, down to 1.0 in 2019. He was on 1.3 before his last 3 games.

I want forwards who can crumb. When Gresham played forward he kicked 35 goals.
Is Betts fast? Was Milne?

I don't give a crap how fast Butler is if he doesn't get his hands on it.
In 2019, in a winning side, he averaged 9 disposals. Lonie was 14.
I think a small line up consisting of
Lonie . 1 of Kent/Butler Parker is a good mix.
If Gresham plays forward we may see Lonie go out, but it will also depend on how Kent and Butler are going.

Butler was goalless in 3 of his 7 games duriing 2019. Deservedly dropped twice.
Lonie was goalless in 5 of his 13 (the last 3 in a row ). It was probably only after round 22 he should have been dropped ( if there was someone to come in ).
Parker was goalless in 6 of his 17 games. I can understand why we continued to play him though. Could have been dropped after round 4, but tended to bounce back after a bad spell.
Kent was goalless in 6 of his 13 games.
Long was goalless in 5 of his 16 games.

Its perplexing really.
You'd like to think that if Kent had only kicked 2 goals in 4 games and had 8 touches in the last game, while Lonie or Long was going ballistic in the VFL, that he'd be dropped.
If that had happened in 2019 , would we have got the 4 goals Kent kicked against Melbourne ? From Long or Lonie?

Somehow though, we just need to play those who are in the best form. Make them all earn their spot.

Doubt it.
He looked pretty much a spent force after 3 weeks.

Maybe a combination of some games and no playing no impact tank build exercise.
Will be stronger this year.

Went straight in for surgery at the end of the year. Most players start to get pretty banged up and if you aren't AFL fit it would be on top of never quite getting back to feeling good. The training loads are hard to get used to and if you've come from state footy it's big jump. He'll be better for another year in the system. People have been bagging Newnes but his worst season was off the back of shoulder surgery and missing a full preseason including JLT. Most players never get going if they miss a preseason so coming from a less professional set up would make it equally hard to carry a strong fitness base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to also fit Howard, Geary, Webster and Roberton in the back half. To many options in defence still. Thats without guys like Paton and Clark who showed they could play there.

What?! No god not traded, his transition from back to forward! I agree I think he’s a really good young KPP for us.

He's not really a true KPF, when he played TAC cup he was more third tall like Gunston or Darling. The knock on him was agility but I still remember his All Stars game where he was twisting and turning like Milney. Snapped goals like a small forward. He looks bigger now though.

He's not really a true KPF, when he played TAC cup he was more third tall like Gunston or Darling. The knock on him was agility but I still remember his All Stars game where he was twisting and turning like Milney. Snapped goals like a small forward. He looks bigger now though.
Well he wouldn’t be playing as the key guy presumably! With King there I could see a forward line of King, Membrey, Battle then all our smaller blokes at their feet, he’s matured a lot the last year size wise and what not so if he went back down forward he could end up being really solid for us.

Well he wouldn’t be playing as the key guy presumably! With King there I could see a forward line of King, Membrey, Battle then all our smaller blokes at their feet, he’s matured a lot the last year size wise and what not so if he went back down forward he could end up being really solid for us.
The problem is if Ryder/Marshall play there too and that makes us too tall. Hopefully Ryder is playing at Sandy but I doubt he will initially.

Battle is one of the first picked for me, either that's forward or back we'll have to wait and see.

Battle is one of the first picked for me, either that's forward or back we'll have to wait and see.
I hope so! I just don’t know how our team all fits together at the moment. It’s a pretty good problem to have when we have so many differing opinions on the starting 22.

Makes for a healthy list

The problem is if Ryder/Marshall play there too and that makes us too tall. Hopefully Ryder is playing at Sandy but I doubt he will initially.

I have
Backline: 2 of Carlisle //Howard // Battle
Forwards: 3 of Membrey //King //Battle //Ryder// Marshall
Rucks : 1 of Marshall //Ryder.

One has to miss out.
Good problem to have.

R1 Carlisle //Howard Membrey//King//Ryder R Marshall
R2 Battle//Howard Membrey//King/Ryder R Marshall
R4 Battle//Carlilse Membrey//King//Ryder R Marshall
R5 Carlisle//Howard Battle//King//Ryder R Marshall
R6 Carlisle//Howard Membrey//Battle//Ryder R Marshall
R7 Carlisle//Battle Membrey//King//Howard RMarshall
R8 Carlisle//Battle Membrey//King//Howard R Ryder

I have
Backline: 2 of Carlisle //Howard // Battle
Forwards: 3 of Membrey //King //Battle //Ryder// Marshall
Rucks : 1 of Marshall //Ryder.

One has to miss out.
Good problem to have.

R1 Carlisle //Howard Membrey//King//Ryder R Marshall
R2 Battle//Howard Membrey//King/Ryder R Marshall
R4 Battle//Carlilse Membrey//King//Ryder R Marshall
R5 Carlisle//Howard Battle//King//Ryder R Marshall
R6 Carlisle//Howard Membrey//Battle//Ryder R Marshall
R7 Carlisle//Battle Membrey//King//Howard RMarshall
R8 Carlisle//Battle Membrey//King//Howard R Ryder

And then there's hopefully Roberton too.

As you say, a good problem to have.

0374fd4b77a2538e6ef260eeb45a8837.jpg

Found this on Sen. Also said that the fixture would be released in droves. It didn’t say when but it did say that by Friday the 1st clubs would know the fixture

If I had to guess:
Mon: Pre season fixture
Tues: Leaks
Wed: R1
Thurs: Women’s
Fri: Premiership season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back