Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes there is plenty of water left to pass under the bridge (coach, trades, retirements), but the same type thread kicked off this time last year, so why not.

With word this week that jake appears to be re-signing, I believe he can now be locked away as our longterm chb whenever we play teams with more than 1 tall fwd (ie basically every week).
And brown (or someone else) will be at FB on the number 1 tall fwd, allowing jake to be our mcgovern interceptor.

This presents a problem for where battle will play- as he has looked at home at chb this year.

This is our best back 6 I think- although if someone (who isn't carlisle) can go past brown in keeping the #1 tall forward quiet, that would be great:

B: Savage Brown Geary
HB: Webster Carlisle Wilkie

I think that is our ideal mix of tall and small- getting battle in there would make us too tall. I think battle might have to either go past bruce up forward or play at sandy until either bruce or jake get injured?

The other interesting one will be if coffield can graduate into the midfield rotation by rnd 1 2020- I'd love to see him go past sincs for instance.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yes there is plenty of water left to pass under the bridge (coach, trades, retirements), but the same type thread kicked off this time last year, so why not.

With word this week that jake appears to be re-signing, I believe he can now be locked away as our longterm chb whenever we play teams with more than 1 tall fwd (ie basically every week).
And brown (or someone else) will be at FB on the number 1 tall fwd, allowing jake to be our mcgovern interceptor.

This presents a problem for where battle will play- as he has looked at home at chb this year.

This is our best back 6 I think- although if someone (who isn't carlisle) can go past brown in keeping the #1 tall forward quiet, that would be great:

B: Savage Brown Geary
HB: Webster Carlisle Wilkie

I think that is our ideal mix of tall and small- getting battle in there would make us too tall. I think battle might have to either go past bruce up forward or play at sandy until either bruce or jake get injured?

The other interesting one will be if coffield can graduate into the midfield rotation by rnd 1 2020- I'd love to see him go past sincs for instance.
Brown and no Battle? No thanks.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brown and no Battle? No thanks.

I know- its far from ideal isnt it?

Unless battle can turn into a FB keeping the likes of lynch, cox, brown etc quiet i think that's the reality we are facing.

I think next weeks selection night v sydney (who play 2 tall fwds) will show that ratts (like richo before him) thinks jake at FB doesnt work.

If brown stays in the team next week vs sydneys 2 tall fwd line (with jake at chb), that will be pretty strong evidence that jake at FB wont happen.

If brown is out- it will need to be for another (non jake) FB like joyce etc.

Where that leaves battle is also unresolved- with another tall king coming in up fwd next year.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Unless battle can turn into a FB keeping the likes of lynch, cox, brown etc quiet i think that's the reality we are facing.

I think next weeks selection night v sydney (who play 2 tall fwds) will show that ratts (like richo before him) thinks jake at FB doesnt work.

If brown stays in the team next week vs sydneys 2 tall fwd line (with jake at chb), that will be pretty strong evidence that jake at FB wont happen.

Where that leaves battle is also unresolved- with another tall king coming in up fwd next year.
I think you're going all in on this myth that Jake can't play at full back despite no evidence actually backing this up.

If anything, selection over the past 2 weeks has shown that Carlisle and Battle are the first two key defenders picked and if the opposition has an extra tall then Brown will come in to over that.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

Not sure about that. I think Battle and Carlisle as the 2 main big guys with Wilkie as the 3rd tall would be our best set up.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think you're going all in on this myth that Jake can't play at full back despite no evidence actually backing this up.

If anything, selection over the past 2 weeks has shown that Carlisle and Battle are the first two key defenders picked and if the opposition has an extra tall then Brown will come in to over that.

You expect brown to be dropped next week vs sydneys 2 talls setup then?
Because jake will play FB?
I say that wont happen.
Brown will stay at FB, jake at CHB and battle elsewhere.
(Just as what happened v the crows which was the first time all of jake, battle and brown were fit.)

On the contrary- there is years of evidence that jake can't play FB.
(Or at least that he can't play FB better than brown)

Why has brown been getting a game for the last several years with jake also in the team?

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure about that. I think Battle and Carlisle as the 2 main big guys with Wilkie as the 3rd tall would be our best set up.

On paper- sure.
But in practise, richo always played jake at chb because thats where he can use his elite intercept game.
Ratts seems to think the same I believe- jake is a chb, not a fb.

Next weeks selection v sydney with 2 talls will prove it I believe

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I say that wont happen.
(Just as what happened v the crows which was the first time all of jake, battle and brown were fit.)

Why has brown been getting a game for the last several years with jake also in the team?

When did players start playing in set positions again? Back to the 80's. Battle and Carlisle can rotate from FB to CHB or we can play those 2 plus Brown if the opposition have a stay at home FF which hardly any do know. Wilkie is only 190 and can play on any sort of player within reason. You claim that next weeks proves you right if Brown plays because he is our best FB but wont address why the coach dropped Brown instead of Carlisle when it was obvious Darcy is a genuine stay at home FF when not rucking. If Brown id the obvious choice for that type why didn't he get the gig last week.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I say that wont happen.

Yes, that's what Ratten did last week so it's not extreme to guess that he will do the same next week.

I think you are failing to comprehend that just because Carlisle's best position is at CHB, doesn't mean he can't play at full back. He is very capable of playing on the oppositions best key forward and preventing them from kicking a bag while also providing some offence drive off half back, which is something Brown isn't great at.

Brown has been getting a game for the past few years because he is a very good full back and because he has consistently been the second best key defender on our list behind Carlisle. Who else has been capable of playing key defence on our list over this period?

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes, that's what Ratten did last week so it's not extreme to guess that he will do the same next week.

I think you are failing to comprehend that just because Carlisle's best position is at CHB, doesn't mean he can't play at full back. He is very capable of playing on the oppositions best key forward and preventing them from kicking a bag while also providing some offence drive off half back, which is something Brown isn't great at.

Brown has been getting a game for the past few years because he is a very good full back and because he has consistently been the second best key defender on our list behind Carlisle. Who else has been capable of playing key defence on our list over this period?

Last week was a total anomoly because freo fielded the smallest forward line of any team for the whole year.
Thats why brown sat out.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why did they sit out our best FB when Freo only had a stay at home player? Surely Carlisle misses out if he no good one on one.

If darcy wasnt an utter plodder, brown would have certainly been in.

If freo had tom lynch surrounded by short people last week instead of darcy- brown would have played.
And jake would have had his hands full minding michael walters at chb.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
If darcy wasnt an utter plodder, brown would have certainly been in.

If freo had tom lynch surrounded by short people last week instead of darcy- brown would have played.
And jake would have had his hands full minding michael walters at chb.

Doubt that. Carlisle kept Lynch to 3 goals out of 16 when they destroyed us after just coming back from injury. Brown would have missed out. Both of us are guessing but I will use a recent example. Still doesn't explain why our best FB in your opinion missed out.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Last week was a total anomoly because freo fielded the smallest forward line of any team for the whole year.
Thats why brown sat out.
Brown sat out because they only had one tall forward, so the coaches chose Carlisle over him as the better key defender. This is confirming that your point about Carlisle being unable to play full back as incorrect, , because if this was the case they would have chosen Brown as our only key defender.

Also fun fact about 'Freo fielding the smallest forward line of any team for the while year' - they has the same about of 190cm+ forwards in their starting forward line as us, which was 1. I think you're adding a bit of mayo on that one to try and prove a point.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
On paper- sure.
But in practise, richo always played jake at chb because thats where he can use his elite intercept game.

Well no, because on paper is pretty much where CHB and FB stop these days. It’s more about match-ups and zones rather than sitting at your position in a 1 on 1. Id say that’s the case for nearly every position. Most teams play 2 talls, and with Battle hopefully continuing his improvement next year i hope he keeps Brown out. He’s our future and Brown isn’t IMO.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Battle best 22. Brown to come in for match ups only.

I see no reason Carlisle, Battle and Wilkie can’t be expected to play as key defenders given that’s what they are. Brown can come in for the true gorillas.

*current list excluding Stuv, McCartin and Roberton as they are likely gone.

Geary - Battle - Wilkie
Webster - Carlisle - Clark
Billings - Steele - Savage
Gresham - Membery - Lonie
Lonie - Bruce - Newnes/King
Marshall - Hannebery - Ross
Dunston - Sinclair - Coffield
Paton/Brown

Sheepey

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Battle best 22. Brown to come in for match ups only.

I see no reason Carlisle, Battle and Wilkie can’t be expected to play as key defenders given that’s what they are. Brown can come in for the true gorillas.

*current list excluding Stuv, McCartin and Roberton as they are likely gone.

Geary - Battle - Wilkie
Webster - Carlisle - Clark
Billings - Steele - Savage
Gresham - Membery - Lonie
Lonie - Bruce - Newnes/King
Marshall - Hannebery - Ross
Dunston - Sinclair - Coffield
Paton/Brown
Lonie's that good he gets a mention twice! In an ideal world, you'd Newnes as the defensive HFF, Savage to the bench and Hill at wing.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
On paper- sure.

Are we just going to pretend that Coffield doesn't exist? If he was not injured I highly doubt Brown would come in.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
If Battle isn't performing well enough to play in front of Brown next year, then he probably doesnt deserve a spot in the best 22.
He’s comfortably in front already, still inside 25 AFL games... we should fold if brown is selected next year over one of our most promising talls in years.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s comfortably in front already, still inside 25 AFL games... we should fold if brown is selected next year over one of our most promising talls in years.
I don't see Brown being selected in front of Battle., but having someone like Brown on the list would be beneficial as a good back-up option and as someone with leadership and experience.

Back