Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

On reflection, I'm not adverse to Ryder and Marshall sharing the ruck near to 50/50.

It means we have an excellent ruck at all times and I think both take a first/second defender when forward and the rotation probably keeps defenders on their toes. It stops Marshall from being battered in the ruck full time, notwithstanding that he did well all last season. It lets Marshall develop into a ruckman that will be a dominant forward threat in two years (when I see him as full time ruck and Ryder replaced with a fwd who can ruck).

That said, I'm happy if Marshall rucks 70-80% and Ryder is the chop out. I just don't see the development or team benefits of Ryder 70-80% with Marshall the chop out.

If we start Marshal Forward I swear,
Rule one with rucks they play better alone, secondly they play better in the ruck. Look at Gawn Grundy They both play well alone when Pruess comes in Gawn is not as good. When Mccnearny plays Martin is not as good. Now I understand that the best teams basically have a no name rucking with others helping but in terms of Developing Marshal I think untill we are challenging for finals let him just play in the ruck as much as he can and then rotate with Ryder

Marshall's work around the ground is incredible.
If Ryder rucks significantly we lose that.

On reflection, I'm not adverse to Ryder and Marshall sharing the ruck near to 50/50.

It means we have an excellent ruck at all times and I think both take a first/second defender when forward and the rotation probably keeps defenders on their toes. It stops Marshall from being battered in the ruck full time, notwithstanding that he did well all last season. It lets Marshall develop into a ruckman that will be a dominant forward threat in two years (when I see him as full time ruck and Ryder replaced with a fwd who can ruck).

That said, I'm happy if Marshall rucks 70-80% and Ryder is the chop out. I just don't see the development or team benefits of Ryder 70-80% with Marshall the chop out.

Rucks nowdays don't get battered like they did in the old days.

Technically im still Hannebery's player advocate so its no surprise hes just broken a bone in his foot and wont be able to start training until December. My injury curse is still as strong as ever . Feel sorry for whoever gets me next season especially as i was thinking of going for either Rice or White and they have just both been delisted . Maybe i should pick a delisted player , how about someone from the 1930's side .

B:Geary Howard Wilkie

HB: Savage Carlisle Webster

C:Hill Hannerbry Billings

HF:Gresham Membrey Kent

F: Butler Marshall King

FOL: Ryder Steele Ross

Int: Dunstan Jones Clarke Battle.

Emg: Marsh Sinclair Long Coffield.

I did not consider Roberton. But if he gets up and plays a preseason like he did this year (prior to more complications) then one of wilkie or battle would need to miss which would be a hard call to make.

Going to be tough to pick rd 1 2020.

I think its unlikely King would be in as only played s few games in 2 years, but after stringing a couple together would come in.

Gears is our best back pocket, but I want others in the team like Coff & Clarke who get thru traffic and use it well. Wilks for me has to be include after last year and beautiful kick.

I reckon Jones will play best as in/mid. With Kennedy and Co, probaly didnt get the chance at Sydney so think he could make a big difference for us in the centre.

Gresh & Clarke to rotate thru the middle

Im very excited for 2020.

The below side has lots of good users and speed and has a decent spine.

B: Wilkie Carlisle Webster

HB: Roberton Howard Clarke

C:Hill Hannebery Billings

HF:parker Battle Long

F: Gresh Ryder Membrey

FOL: Marshall Jones Ross

Int: Dunstan Coffield Lonie Steele

Emg: Sinclair Geary Savage Kent

My hopeful 2020 finals team would be:

Defenders:
Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Coffield

Midfielders
Hill - Hannebery - Jones
Marshall - Steele - Clark

Forwards
Gresham - Battle - Billings
Long - King - Membrey

Interchange
Dunstan - Sinclair - Ross - Hind

Emergencies
Ryder - Geary - Butler - Parker - Lonie - Joyce - Savage - Bytel

Unknown
McCartin

Hoping Geary is pushed out and that Ryder is also not necessary with king doing enough as 2nd ruck. As many exp mids as I can squeeze in so sincs gets a game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm really wanting a big season from Ben Long. It's time for him to step up. The thought of Long, Gresh and Butler up forward and up and about makes me salivate.

The pressure on these guys will be huge
Kent, Butler, Long, Lonie, and Parker can all get dropped pretty easy if they don't perform.

Kent has actually had some pretty good games, but he does seem injury prone and when we compare his accuracy with his earlier games at melbourne, he didn't have any 2 goal, 4 behind games back then.
Like for like i see Butler as a replacement for him, which kind of makes it a pity we traded him in last year.

Parker is pretty tall but plays fine at ground level, so doesn't make us too tall. He needs more output and with another pre-season, no reason we can't expect it.

Long has had some good games where he found plenty of the ball. 18 disposals, 9 contested against freo. If he starts really hitting the scoreboard it will be good.

Lonie will be working out in the gym, and every year he will get that bit stronger.

B:Geary Howard Wilkie

HB: Savage Carlisle Webster

C:Hill Hannerbry Billings

HF:Gresham Membrey Kent

F: Butler Marshall King

FOL: Ryder Steele Ross

Int: Dunstan Jones Clarke Battle.

Emg: Marsh Sinclair Long Coffield.

I did not consider Roberton. But if he gets up and plays a preseason like he did this year (prior to more complications) then one of wilkie or battle would need to miss which would be a hard call to make.
Surely Savage misses if Robbo is fit, not Wilkie or Battle. Savage plays in Robbo's position but can't do half the stuff Robbo can.

Surely Savage misses if Robbo is fit, not Wilkie or Battle. Savage plays in Robbo's position but can't do half the stuff Robbo can.
Robbo at 193cm would play as a third tall/loose intercepter which is the same roll as Wilkie/Battle would be played.

Savage at 186cm plays on smaller forwards and is more a traditional half back than interceptor.

We would be too tall if Robbo replaced Savage, without factoring in they play very different roles.

Going to be tough to pick rd 1 2020.

I think its unlikely King would be in as only played s few games in 2 years, but after stringing a couple together would come in.

Gears is our best back pocket, but I want others in the team like Coff & Clarke who get thru traffic and use it well. Wilks for me has to be include after last year and beautiful kick.

I reckon Jones will play best as in/mid. With Kennedy and Co, probaly didnt get the chance at Sydney so think he could make a big difference for us in the centre.

Gresh & Clarke to rotate thru the middle

Im very excited for 2020.

The below side has lots of good users and speed and has a decent spine.

B: Wilkie Carlisle Webster

HB: Roberton Howard Clarke

C:Hill Hannebery Billings

HF:parker Battle Long

F: Gresh Ryder Membrey

FOL: Marshall Jones Ross

Int: Dunstan Coffield Lonie Steele

Emg: Sinclair Geary Savage Kent

If King has a great preseason he’s in Round 1 as far as I’m concerned.
What are we waiting for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If King has a great preseason he’s in Round 1 as far as I’m concerned.
What are we waiting for?
He will be playing rnd 1 if fit

Just dont let him near Hanneberry

1sts
Geary - Howard - Battle
Coffield - Carlisle - Webster
Billings - Ross - Hill
Marshall - Dunstan - Steele
King - Gresham - Membrey
Lonie - Ryder - Butler
Clark - Hannebery - Jones - Kent

Sandy
Mckenzie - Austin - Wilkie
Roberton - Clavarino - White
Savage - Sinclair - Paton
Alabakis - Bytel - Acres
Nuyon - Parker - Mayo
Long - Joyce - Young
Langlands - Hind - Marsh - Phillips

Draftee

Excess: McCartin, Rice, Newnes

Obviously mccartin won’t be the excess while under contract so some others need to go. 3 in total or 4 if it’s grey and butler rather than one of - surely it’s one of though....

Only remote rumour is that it will be acres

Newnes wouldn’t be my choice to go either but potentially still a fa chance so still seems most likely....

Given robbo and Wilkie in seconds, Carlisle seems like a good option if we can get value

I think I say every year, but how good does that sandy team look in comparison with this year!

Jesus, we could put a side of 22 defenders nearly. Obsessed recruiters.

it may just be me but there is something NQR about Jake CARLISLE....is he a team kinda guy...never been really convinced that he's got SAINT imprinted in his DNA...seems more like JAKE imprinted first and foremost...but maybe thats the way it works best for him...i wouldnt have minded if he had been traded ... on this matter i hope i'm wrong.....on raw ability and physique ticks the boxes..but never feel content with him as a lynch pin down back.

One interesting thing I heard was that Port seemed to want Dougal Howard to become an intercept defender rather than a one on one. Carlisle is an intercept but not overly accountable. It seems to me Rats likes a more Hawks golden era set up with an accountable back man.

Jesus, we could put a side of 22 defenders nearly. Obsessed recruiters.

We can nearly do one of talls.

Howard Brown Marsh
Wilkie Clavarino, Roberton

Mayo, Coffield , Austin
Parker, Battle , Membrey
Joyce ,King, Carlisle

Bytel* Marshall Ryder

Nyuon, Ross** , McCartin Webster**

* only 189cm **188cm
Sorely missing Bruce and Acres , forced to play shortarses.

Defenders in bold.

One interesting thing I heard was that Port seemed to want Dougal Howard to become an intercept defender rather than a one on one. Carlisle is an intercept but not overly accountable. It seems to me Rats likes a more Hawks golden era set up with an accountable back man.

Why can't he be both?
( lots of cheers and play the spanish music ).

On ability yes but team structure no. Battle, wilkie, Robo would struggle on a half decent small forward with speed. Plus Robo is 1 of the 5(with carlisle and dougal) that can run and overlap, he he isn’t overly quick. Can’t run 5 1.90cm backman. Coffield might be an exception but he hasn’t proven he is good enough to play with a healthy list. Sav’s year was underrated this year.

On ability yes but team structure no. Battle, wilkie, Robo would struggle on a half decent small forward with speed. Plus Robo is 1 of the 5(with carlisle and dougal) that can run and overlap, he he isn’t overly quick. Can’t run 5 1.90cm backman. Coffield might be an exception but he hasn’t proven he is good enough to play with a healthy list. Sav’s year was underrated this year.

Sav was our best rebounder. By a fair bit.

All fit, this is what I think they’ll go with in round 1.

FB: Geary - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Roberton - Carlisle - Webster
C: Hill - Ross - Hannebery
HF: Gresham - Battle - Billings
FF: Ryder - Membrey - Butler
R: Marshall - Steele - Jones
I: Dunstan - Clark - Long - Savage

If Roberton can’t get on the park, swing Battle back and debut King.
King will play at least 10-12 games anyways.
Heaps of players from 20-30 could get a game.
Hind, Sinclair, Parker, Lonie, Newnes/Brown (if they’re kept), Paton, Coffield, McKenzie, Kent are all capable of AFL footy.

Now that we have recruited the latest 5 and we have hope of some players returning that have largely aforeto now been unavailable or have not at least been available consistently, i am interested not so much in the whole team selection but who will be the core group of players that will pick themselves week in week out.? Who might be the strategic ins and outs according to what team we play??

All this year it seems we were looking at just getting the best 22 to each game day not really with the slightest real opportunity to play chess so to speak. Now there maybe a core of some sort. This will make SANDy better and keep those who we want to RETAIN IN FUTURE YEARS more satisfied.

Up until now we've just been covering injuries. Eventually a solid team will emerge from this marginalLy unstable strategy that will be an evolutionary process i presume. Is that the way it should work ...or am i dreaming......i really believe at this stage the first half of next season will throw some shocks at us as to how good some of the lesser lights will become when there is hot competition pushing for every spot. This last season may have done us a kind of service with the sustained injury list....if we hadn't had them, we may have looked a little better and thus been a little less forthright in recruiting etc

You'd think you couldn't Leave OUT ....... HOWARD CARLISLE ROBERTON HILL ROSS HANNERS GRESHAM MARSHAL STEELE CLARK BATTLE

not 100 per cent on all the others. Obviously there are some super players to come in ...thats 11 that i would personally find impossible to exclude...
There are of course several players that i personally would love to be in but I just cant assure they will bring it week in week out...I'D like to leave Carlisle off that liust of 11 but i suppose he has to be there.

Last edited:
Now that we have recruited the latest 5 and we have hope of some players returning that have largely aforeto now been unavailable or have not at least been available consistently, i am interested not so much in the whole team selection but who will be the core group of players that will pick themselves week in week out.? Who might be the strategic ins and outs according to what team we play??

All this year it seems we were looking at just getting the best 22 to each game day not really with the slightest real opportunity to play chess so to speak. Now there maybe a core of some sort. This will make SANDy better and keep those who we want to RETAIN IN FUTURE YEARS more satisfied.

Up until now we've just been covering injuries. Eventually a solid team will emerge from this marginalLy unstable strategy that will be an evolutionary process i presume. Is that the way it should work ...or am i dreaming......i really believe at this stage the first half of next season will throw some shocks at us as to how good some of the lesser lights will become when there is hot competition pushing for every spot. This last season may have done us a kind of service with the sustained injury list....if we hadn't had them, we may have looked a little better and thus been a little less forthright in recruiting etc

You'd think you couldn't Leave OUT ....... HOWARD CARLISLE ROBERTON HILL ROSS HANNERS GRESHAM MARSHAL STEELE CLARK BATTLE

not 100 per cent on all the others. Obviously there are some super players to come in ...thats 11 that i would personally find impossible to exclude...
There are of course several players that i personally would love to be in but I just cant assure they will bring it week in week out...I'D like to leave Carlisle off that liust of 11 but i suppose he has to be there.
You’re not 100% on Membrey or Billings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back