Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

All these people saying Battle should play in defence cos he was good at it last year need to open their minds a bit and see the possibilities, rather than what they've already seen.

Gehrig and Kosi both had good seasons as backmen too, glad we didn't leave them there!

The guy is a dead eye Dick, he'll make us struggle to remember Josh Bruce in a few years.

He might but he's kicked 11 goals in his whole career so far. Basing your whole side around 2 KPFs who have 11 goals between them can be dangerous. I think Battle is more Gunston than Bruce anyway.

B: Geary - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Roberton - Carlisle - Webster
C: Hill - Ross - Billings
HF: Sinclair - Battle - Gresham
F: Butler - King - Membrey
FOLL: Marshall - Jones - Hannebery
INT: Hind - Ryder - Clark - Steele
EMG: Dunstan - Coffield - Savage - Lonie

I don't usually do these but thought i might as well have a crack.

Would prefer Battle at CHB but Carlisle can't really play anywhere else. The weakest point is our small fwds so Gresh is needed there

Webster to put pressure on Coffield for HBF spot. I went Coffield to get games into him. He better come back in good nick on Wednesday or he gets the boot.

Would like Clark on the ball but no room to start him yet so he comes off the bench into the mid rotation

Roma / Ryder and Ming to rotate between ruck and FF (though I don't really want Ming in the ruck. You don't send Winx over the jumps at The 'Bool.)

B - Geary Howard Roberton

HB- Wilkie Carlisle Coffield

C - Hill Ross Billings

HF - Gresh Battle Butler

F- Lonie King Membrey

Foll- Marshall Jones Hannebery

I/C Ryder Steele Dunstan Clark

Last edited:
I don't usually do these but thought i might as well have a crack.

Would prefer Battle at CHB but Carlisle can't really play anywhere else. The weakest point is our small fwds so Gresh is needed there

Webster to put pressure on Coffield for HBF spot. I went Coffield to get games into him. He better come back in good nick on Wednesday or he gets the boot.

Would like Clark on the ball but no room to start him yet so he comes off the bench into the mid rotation

Roma / Ryder and Ming to rotate between ruck and FF (though I don't really want Ming in the ruck. You don't send Winx over the jumps at The 'Bool.)

B - Geary Howard Roberton

HB- Wilkie Carlisle Coffield

C - Hill Ross Billings

HF - Gresh Battle Butler

F- Lonie King Membrey

Foll- Marshall Jones Hannebery

I/C Ryder Steele Dunstan Clark
Pretty well on the money I reckon.

Really hoping Matty Parker benefits from that first year in the system, he adds another dimension to our front half when he is on. However with the inclusion of Butler our small forward stocks now have some serious depth. Butler, Parker, Lonie, Long, Hind, and Kent will all battle it out for 3/4 spots, will be interesting to watch over the pre season.

Last edited:
Reckon preseason form will play a huge part, especially for our small forwards and and KPP. My November team:

Geary - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Clark
Billings - Hannebery - Hill
Butler - Membery - Sinclair
Ryder - King - Lonie
Marshall - Gresham - Ross
Steele - Jones - Battle
Parker

Choosing Parker in that last spot for speed and forward pressure and because we are probably one tall to many, but I really want to see both King and Battle in any side if possible. Coffield, Dunston or Webster just missing and could easily replace either Parker or a tall, preferably Ryder but most probably King.

Jones and Steele part of the midfield rotation, hopefully Clark too but I'd really like to see him continue his end of season form first. Gresham also to rotate forward through Sinclair and Ryder's spots. Battle predominantly to play defense in a team including King and Ryder, releasing Carlisle to play loose and Clark up the ground.

In my mind; Clark, Gresham, Billings, Battle, King, Marshall and (perhaps) Howard are our most important youngsters and I'd want to pump as much time into them as possible.

Makes sandy look like:

Paton - Brown - Clavarino
Austin - Marsh - Webster
Savage - Dunston - Coffield
Hind - Mayo - Langlands
Kent - Joyce - Long
Albakis - Bytel - Phillips
McKenzie - pick 53* - pick 82*
rookie*

Really hoping Matty Parker benefits from that first year in the system, he adds another dimension to our front half when he is on. However with the inclusion of Butler our small forward stocks now have some serious depth. Butler, Parker, Lonie, Long, Hind, and Kent will all battle it out for 3/4 spots, will be interesting to watch over the pre season.
Im pretty bullish on Parker. Lit it up in his first few games, but looked to tire as the season went on. Full preseason and playing under Ratts could see him improve and get more consistency.

I just find it interesting how any team could be bookmarked 5 month before round one.

Injuries, form, etc could have this team completely different

You can bookmark that I suppose
The only thing I have book marked on here is you s**t clapping on your mother in laws couch
Gold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just got an email (as many here will have) from St Kilda re: a study partnership with Holmesglen. There's five players in the pic; if my eyes don't deceive me, that's Robbo on the far left (sporting a facial hair combo very similar to the recent setup of Justin Hawkins of The Darkness).

Interesting.

I just got an email (as many here will have) from St Kilda re: a study partnership with Holmesglen. There's five players in the pic; if my eyes don't deceive me, that's Robbo on the far left (sporting a facial hair combo very similar to the recent setup of Justin Hawkins of The Darkness).

Interesting.

Pic from the original 2019 leadership group.

Depth would be one way of putting it. I'd cull three of them when we have the picks to do so in future. Butler will make it but the rest are playing for their careers.

On reflection, I'm not adverse to Ryder and Marshall sharing the ruck near to 50/50.

It means we have an excellent ruck at all times and I think both take a first/second defender when forward and the rotation probably keeps defenders on their toes. It stops Marshall from being battered in the ruck full time, notwithstanding that he did well all last season. It lets Marshall develop into a ruckman that will be a dominant forward threat in two years (when I see him as full time ruck and Ryder replaced with a fwd who can ruck).

That said, I'm happy if Marshall rucks 70-80% and Ryder is the chop out. I just don't see the development or team benefits of Ryder 70-80% with Marshall the chop out.
Both very good marks and pretty tidy field kicks too. If we have periods where both are on the field at the same time they would provide excellent link options when we are kicking out from the goal square. Or if we're kicking points both would provide an extra layer of intercept marking power on opposition kick outs.

They could become a real tandem weapon for us.

Depth would be one way of putting it. I'd cull three of them when we have the picks to do so in future. Butler will make it but the rest are playing for their careers.
Saying Parker is playing for his career is like saying King will be playing for his career.

17 games and 16 goals in a first season off absolutely zero real AFL like preparation. Completely toast by the end of the season but starting 22 in 2020 for me.

Saying Parker is playing for his career is like saying King will be playing for his career.

17 games and 16 goals in a first season off absolutely zero real AFL like preparation. Completely toast by the end of the season but starting 22 in 2020 for me.

Saying Butler will make it is also wrong. Because he played some good games with Richmond , who no longer played him, he'll stay in our best 22.
Newsflash. If we take this attitude with all the castoffs from "good" teams we'll never become one.
ALL of them are crappy at crumbing and don't kick more than a goal per game on average.

Hind 25YO Fast . 1 goal per game.
Lonie 23YO slowly improving 1 goal per game.
Long 22YO Pressure acts . 0.9 goals per game.
Kent 25YO Fast 0.9 goals per game.
Parker 23YO tall for a small, X factor, 0.9 goals per game.
Butler 23YO fast. 0.7 goals a game fed from Richmond's inferior midfield.

Some of them need to pull their finger out.
The others can go where players who don't pull their finger out end up.

Saying Butler will make it is also wrong. Because he played some good games with Richmond , who no longer played him, he'll stay in our best 22.
Newsflash. If we take this attitude with all the castoffs from "good" teams we'll never become one.
ALL of them are crappy at crumbing and don't kick more than a goal per game on average.

Say wot? >>>Butler 23YO fast. 0.7 goals a game fed from Richmond's inferior midfield.

Butler wasn't a castoff though. Richmond were happy to keep him but on a low salary (squeeze which the saints don't have) with no guarantee he plays. Simply way to much competition at the tigers. Take one look at Marlon Pickett who could have won a norm smith in his first game!

Butler averaged 1.3 goals per year in his rookie year. Sure his average has faded but at Richmond it's not about the individual, it's about the team. Suprised if he doesn't kill it next year with us.

Also it's not like he will have gun small forwards to steal his output with us. Look at Lloyd this year with the dogs once he left Richmond.

Say wot? >>>Butler 23YO fast. 0.7 goals a game fed from Richmond's inferior midfield.
Butler wasn't a castoff though. Richmond were happy to keep him but on a low salary (squeeze which the saints don't have) with no guarantee he plays. Simply way to much competition at the tigers. Take one look at Marlon Pickett who could have won a norm smith in his first game!

Butler averaged 1.3 goals per year in his rookie year. Sure his average has faded but at Richmond it's not about the individual, it's about the team. Suprised if he doesn't kill it next year with us.

Also it's not like he will have gun small forwards to steal his output with us. Look at Lloyd this year with the dogs once he left Richmond.

Meh. The logic dumbfounds me sometimes.
All year iv'e been hearing how crappy the supply to our forward line from our crap midfield is.
But Butler didn't do much at Richmond because its all about the team.

I don't recall a goal ever being kicked off more than 1 foot.

Score involvements per game ( average ):
Kent 5.3
Hind 4.8
Lonie 4.7
Long 4.1
Parker 4.1
Butler 3.1

Goal Assists.
Kent 1.
Hind 0.5
Long 0.4
Butler 0.4
Parker 0.4
Lonie 0.2

Tackles inside 50
Lonie 1.4
Long 1.3
Butler 1.1
Parker 1.1
Kent 0.8
Hind 0.5

Pressure Acts
Butler 20.1
( Weller 17 Lol )
Parker 16.6
Hind 14.2
Kent 13.2
Lonie 13.2
Long 12.4

Agree. We have a lot who are competent, but none who are good or better. Hopefully that changes by season's end.

Here's the thing: If we played our actual best 22 players, regardless of where they "wanted" to play, the forward line might look like this:

Gresham Membrey Sinclair
Lonie King Ryder

But we have a glut of midfielders who either can only play in the midfield or only want to play in the midfield.

Who? Gresham, Ross, Dunstan, Steele, Hannebury, Clark, Billings, Hill, Jones, Phillips, Langlands, Bytel & Sinclair.

As well as a bunch of non-marking forwards: Lonie, Parker, Butler, Hind, Kent & Long.

The mix will be interesting, but the competition for spots is encouraging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back