Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got no idea what will eventuate by the 1st round next year.

Potentially it could completely new look Saints team. Here's a side (and not an improbable one) with 8 players who did not play a game with us last year.

B Geary Howard Webster

HB Roberton Carlisle Jones

C Hill
Steele Billings

HF Membrey Marshall Gresham

F Butler King Lonie

Ryder Ross Clark

Int Wilkie Bytel Hannebery Parker

Post draft best 22;

B: Geary, Howard, Roberton
HB: Clark, Carlisle, Webster
C: Hill, Steele, Billings
HF: Butler, Membrey, Lonie
F: Gresham, King, Long
R: Marshall, Jones, Hannebery
Int: Ryder, Ross, Dunstan, Battle

Sandy

B: Wilkie, Brown, McKenzie
HB: Savage, Austin, Marsh
C: Phillips, Bytel, Coffield
HF: Kent, Mayo, Langlands
F: Hind, Joyce, Parker
R: Abbott, Sinclair, Paton
Int: Clavarino, Byrnes, Connelly, Bell, Alabakis

I’ve no doubt forgotten someone but still really difficult to make up our best side.

No injuries and Sandy should be really solid this year. The first thing to catch my eye was our defensive depth, competition for spots will be really tough. We also will have a huge reliance on Membrey/Ryder/Marshall/King/Battle (?) to kick us a score, injuries to any will leave us incredibly thin in our KPF stocks.

FB: Geary - Howard - Webster
HB: Wilkie - Carlisle - Roberton
C: Hill - Ross - Savage
HF: Gresham - King - Billings
FF: Butler - Marshall - Membrey
R: Ryder - Steele - Hannebery
I: Jones - Dunstan - Clark - Battle

Coffield first in for any drop of form/fitness

Last edited:

Post draft:

Geary - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Clark
Billings - Hannebery - Hill
Gresham - Membery - Butler
Lonie - King - Ryder
Marshall - Steele - Ross
Dunston - Jones - Webster
Battle

Sandy:

Paton - Brown - Clavarino
Marsh - Austin - Savage
Coffield - Bytel - Phillips
Parker - Mayo - Hind
Long - Bell - Kent
Abbott - Byrnes - Sinclair
Langlands - Connolly - Mckenzie
Joyce

The noticeable thing about teams that are consistently in the top rung of the ladder, is the high standard ball use by foot and hand- far superior to the bottom group of teams. I think any ball butchers will struggle to get senior games under Ratts, who himself played in successful Carlton teams with elite skills.

B: Geary Howard Webster
HB: Roberton Carlisle Wilkie
C:Hill Ross Billings
HF: Gresham Membrey Kent
F: King Marshall Butler
FOL: Ryder Steele Hanners
Int: Jones Clarke Battle Dunstan

not writing off - Bytel, Hind, Savage.

Will be interesting to see if they go with Dunstan or feel they can replace his contested ball.

Dunstan and Savage are the 2 who, despite really good form under Ratts to close out 2019, feel like they could be replaced with the new guys coming in.

Small forward is also impossible to pick - Lonie, Long, Hind and Parker. Then guys like Kent and Butler who have been brought in, presumably in the belief they are going to be best 22. How much time to Gresh and Billings spend inside 50?

It's such a tough line up to pick forward of centre.

Dunstan and Savage are the 2 who, despite really good form under Ratts to close out 2019, feel like they could be replaced with the new guys coming in.

Small forward is also impossible to pick - Lonie, Long, Hind and Parker. Then guys like Kent and Butler who have been brought in, presumably in the belief they are going to be best 22. How much time to Gresh and Billings spend inside 50?

I would think that Hanners, Gresh and Ross will spend time aswell. Will be interesting to see how many outright small forwards we pick. Will have as extra tall forward.

Will take a bit to prise Dunstan out, I feel they will want someone to win the ball out of the middle, and a lot of them aren't that good at it, and even if someone like Bytel or Jones can do it , it would be good to give Gresham a better roll than shovelling coal at the face.

Savage, yeah, he was pretty good last season, but lots of options there.

B: Geary Howard Savage
HB: Webster Carlisle Roberton
C: Hill Hannebery Billings
HF: Sinclair King Gresham
F: Membrey Ryder Lonie
Fol: Marshall Ross Steele
Int: Battle Clark Jones Dunstan

Just missed out - Wilkie, Butler, Hind, Coffield, Paton

Realistically, Butler is probably ahead of Sinclair as a forward but I like what Sinclair at his best brings despite us not seeing it as much as we should. Sincs disposal and elite vision is something we need more so I kept him in but Butler's tacking and higher scoring potential should have him in front.

As much as I wanted to put Wilkie in, we would just be way too tall down back with him in this side as well. Yes, he can play on a small if necessary but I would rather Geary in that role since he is better at it and I think Paton is the one who should be Gears successor at it. And when comparing half backs, Webster is a lock since he can defend someone and still have elite foot skills. And Savage had a better season that Wilkie, meaning he keeps his spot ahead of him.

Battle is on the bench because I dont know where on the ground he will play but he will be best 22 regardless. I would rather he plays fwd instead of Ryder but it sounds as if the club will start the year with the Marshall/Ryder ruck combo.

I think we will want to get games into Coffield but it is hard to see where he fits in. Dunstan's form warrants best 22 but his spot could be vulnerable with suggestions Jones will be used as an inside clearance midfielder.

Our midfield looks much better on paper than in previous years as long as it stays healthy because there isn't much left after the players listed.

Will take a bit to prise Dunstan out, I feel they will want someone to win the ball out of the middle, and a lot of them aren't that good at it, and even if someone like Bytel or Jones can do it , it would be good to give Gresham a better roll than shovelling coal at the face.

Savage, yeah, he was pretty good last season, but lots of options there.

Savage never gets much respect on here. He will probably be played further up the ground if what Ratts said is true. He was used poorly under Richo with all his flair taken out of his game and any attacking quality taken away.

Savage never gets much respect on here. He will probably be played further up the ground if what Ratts said is true. He was used poorly under Richo with all his flair taken out of his game and any attacking quality taken away.

I agree with this to a point, although the upside is that he is actually now a pretty good accountable defender. This past season I've seen him win a number of one-on-one defensive contests that I'd previously would have expected him to lose. That teamed with his hoofing kick made him a very important (and underrated) player for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might be suitable as an outside mid on the bench, we'll need to see how he goes.

Richo wasn't as bad as people make out, and he tried Savage in a few spots earlier on, rebounding was his best posi.

Whatever happens this year if the don't fire they will not be playing seniors - guys like Dunstan , Sinclair , Savage , Lonie will have to be playing there best football , because just having Hill , Jones , Hannebery and Hunter Clark in the 22 is going to force players to play consistent and damaging football every week.

Dunstan as we know can get contested possessions but usually gets creamed by the guy he is playing on creatively so either he fixes this up or he moves on and lets Gresham , Hannebery , Hunter Clark into the coveted role which usually guarantees picking up a bunch of possessions.

Sinclair as we know he does a lot which goes unseen and he has very good skills however he needs to get more of the ball , if not he is only a backup.

Savage had about his best season last year and given the role of play maker from the backline he will need to dissect the the play a lot better and not just bomb the ball long in hope - with Webster fit and having Paton , Jones , Hunter Clark , he will need to be playing the best to keep his spot (sorry Gringo I know he is one of your favorites)

Lonie had a purple patch last year and he will need to keep that up to be considered because Kent , Butler get the ball more regular and can can make tackles stick.

I really feel if we are to make the next step and play finals we need our younger guys to step up this year - Battle needs to grab the CHF position and make it his , Hunter Clark needs to be given a role in the midfield and show he can cause damage there , Gresham has to now show he is a top line midfielder , Paton will have to end up replacing Geary down back.

The team I would like to see line up

Paton - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Webster
Billings - Ross - Hill
Butler - Battle - Jones
King - Membery - Gresham

Marshall - Steele - Hannerbery

Hunter Clark , Dunstan , Ryder , Coffield

Season Highlights
23 disps (17 kicks 6 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 21 3-pt win over Fremantle at Marvel Stadium (11 Aug 2019)
23 disps (17 kicks 6 hballs) and 8 marks in Rd 18 27-pt win over the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium (21 Jul 2019)
27 disps (17 kicks 10 hballs), 7 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 17 27-pt loss to Geelong at GMHBA Stadium (13 Jul 2019)
19 disps (15 kicks 4 hballs) and 11 marks in Rd 15 33-pt loss to Richmond at Marvel Stadium (30 Jun 2019)
25 disps (16 kicks 9 hballs), 4 marks, 4 tackles and a goal in Rd 9 41-pt loss to Collingwood at the MCG (18 May 2019)
25 disps (16 kicks 9 hballs), 8 marks and a goal in Rd 8 18-pt loss to West Coast at Marvel Stadium (11 May 2019)
30 disps (17 kicks 13 hballs) and 10 marks in Rd 6 29-pt loss to Adelaide at Marvel Stadium (27 Apr 2019)
27 disps (18 kicks 9 hballs) and 7 marks in Rd 5 40-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (20 Apr 2019)
27 disps (14 kicks 13 hballs) and 3 marks in Rd 4 5-pt win over Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium (14 Apr 2019)
just looking
I agree with this to a point, although the upside is that he is actually now a pretty good accountable defender. This past season I've seen him win a number of one-on-one defensive contests that I'd previously would have expected him to lose. That teamed with his hoofing kick made him a very important (and underrated) player for mine.
at these stats he should of been close to be our best player - but averaging 19.6 disposals per game is actually lower than Logan Austin who had 19.7 disposals a game the year before so is Savage really the damaging player we need coming off half back ---- stats can be misleading

I'm excited to see what the coaches come up with next season , Savage is a good player but he could be moved else where and be more effective because we know he can kick goals from a long way out.

He is definitely under appreciated around here. While he wasn't as attacking as he could be, it's good to see him develop into a quality defender in his own right.
Now he just needs to find a good balance between the two.

B : Geary Howard Wilkie
HB Savage Carlisle Webster
C : Billings Hannabery Hill
HF Long Battle Membrey
F : Gresham King Parker
R : Marshall Clark Dunstan
Inter Ryder Steele Jones Bytel

Emerg Paton Ross Butler Roberton Lonie Coffield Hind Marsh

I’m a big fan of Ben Paton, I really hope he has a good year. Has so many good attributes: quick, great leap, solid kick. Hopefully he can nail down one of the back pockets as his.

I’m hoping Ratten will be focussing on a bit quicker transition from the back, so the likes of Paton, Coff, Savage and even maybe Long could be the guys we are hoping step up in this area.

I’m a big fan of Ben Paton, I really hope he has a good year. Has so many good attributes: quick, great leap, solid kick. Hopefully he can nail down one of the back pockets as his.

I’m hoping Ratten will be focussing on a bit quicker transition from the back, so the likes of Paton, Coff, Savage and even maybe Long could be the guys we are hoping step up in this area.
Surely Webster provides the best and quickest transition from the backline.

Savage is very average, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

He does have a beautiful long kick and good pace but he's not particularly damaging with it, he defends well but not brilliantly.
i get the impression SAVAGE is one of those players that will appear to improve all aspects of his game especially possessions and subsequently quality disposal as those around him improve or more importantly are better quality selections. just as i see him...handy player to have as you REALLY start to climb but sooo frustrating when your at base camp......when the time comes he'll shine brighter and brighter. you definitely dont want too many like that but important. A FEW REAL STARS AROUND HIM AND YOULL WONDER HOW YOU EVER DREAMED WITHOUT HIM.....BUT WHAT DO I KNOW THAT NOBODY ELSE KNOWS S.F.A.

If I've got the reigns

B: Geary, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Roberton, Carlisle, Clark
C: Hill, Steele, Jones
HF: Hind, Marshall, Billings
F: Membrey, Battle, Gresham

Foll: Ryder, Hannebery, Ross
Int: Parker, Savage, Bytel, Sinclair

Next in line (viable options only)

Key defender: Brown, Austin
General defender: Coffield, Webster, Marsh, Paton, McKenzie
Inside mid: Dunstan, Byrnes
Outside mid: Langlands, Phillips
Key forward: King
Small forward: Long, Lonie, Butler
Ruck: Abbott

It's one hell of an unbalanced list we have

i get the impression SAVAGE is one of those players that will appear to improve all aspects of his game especially possessions and subsequently quality disposal as those around him improve or more importantly are better quality selections. just as i see him...handy player to have as you REALLY start to climb but sooo frustrating when your at base camp......when the time comes he'll shine brighter and brighter. you definitely dont want too many like that but important. A FEW REAL STARS AROUND HIM AND YOULL WONDER HOW YOU EVER DREAMED WITHOUT HIM.....BUT WHAT DO I KNOW THAT NOBODY ELSE KNOWS S.F.A.

You could be right. Similar to Bahar Huli maybe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back