Prediction Best 22 Rd1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quickly, high five for JeanLucGoddard here.

Very rare to get an opposition poster come across to the board with measured, understandable discussion. Far too many one eyed ranters these days!

Cheers! Thanks for having me too, normally on other boards you don't get the good welcoming response I have from you guys, its all "LOLNORF" s**t.

I thought Webster still hadn't joined full training; if he's out Rd 1, I'd like to see Paton get the job on Zurhaar. He's quick and reliable, and trending towards being Geary's successor

Zurhaar is an interesting one, classic medium forward rather than a small forward.

Yeah, he's too big for the smalls and too slippery for the talls. Hard guy to play on. I'm hoping for our sake he doesn't slip under our guards this year. Geary is a good shut down who can play on midsize and smalls. He's good above his head and good at stifling run.

I thought Webster still hadn't joined full training; if he's out Rd 1, I'd like to see Paton get the job on Zurhaar. He's quick and reliable, and trending towards being Geary's successor

Mc Kenzie did a couple of good shut down backline tagging rules well. And a couple of shockers. If he's improved I wouldn't be against giving him another go.

Going really early to be naming matchups but it does raise a really big point in our favour - Who is North's 2nd ruck? Larkey? Brown? At some point Goldstein is going to need a rest and we are going to have either Ryder (AA in 2017) or Marshall (3rd best ruck in the comp)standing in the middle waiting.

After years and years of fighting for scraps in the midfield we may actually see periods of this season where we dominate the clearances with clean ball out of the centre!

Never too early for match ups!

I will give you a bit of a hand..Daw is a pretty handy 2nd Ruck if he gets up!

Goldy also rucks 95% of games, but has historically struggled against Ryder.

But yeah probably Larkey who is good young player and has a real dip when in there for short spells.

Is Marshall better than Goldy? Lycett? Maybe in a few years but surely he’s not there just yet. He is certainly the best young ruck in the comp alongside that Soldo.

All the best guys for round 2 and the rest of the year.

But yeah probably Larkey who is good young player and has a real dip when in there for short spells.

Is Marshall better than Goldy? Lycett? Maybe in a few years but surely he’s not there just yet. He is certainly the best young ruck in the comp alongside that Soldo.

Questionable as to how much it means, but FWIW, Marshall was ranked the no.1 player in the comp (in the official AFL Player Ratings) from R11 onwards last season, which doesn't happen unless you're going extremely well already.

Marshall probably loses the taps slightly but he consistently dominates around the ground, I'd be expecting more of the same against Goldy.

Questionable as to how much it means, but FWIW, Marshall was ranked the no.1 player in the comp (in the official AFL Player Ratings) from R11 onwards last season, which doesn't happen unless you're going extremely well.

That’s ridiculously impressive.

Had NFI! There are a few boffins on our board who take those ratings very seriously so it may just be spot on.

It’s been a while since you had a dominant ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he's better than Lycett, without a doubt.

Going off season there's probably a fair agument to say he's at least as good or better than Goldy. In terms of stats it was only hit outs that Goldstein was ahead. Marshall does more around the ground.

I rate English above Soldo by a fair margin. Larkey has come on well. Marshall probably better suited to second ruck against Goldy though. Marshall is adequate at ruck work but roves like Grundy. He'll win a heap of clearances and boot the ball forward.

Questionable as to how much it means, but FWIW, Marshall was ranked the no.1 player in the comp (in the official AFL Player Ratings) from R11 onwards last season, which doesn't happen unless you're going extremely well already.

A fair bit of that is clearance work, contested marking and over rating taps in CD points. All stuff that Marshall gets plenty of.

FB: Geary - Howard - Roberton
HB: Jones - Carlisle - Webster
C: Billings - Steele - B.Hill
HF: Gresham - Battle - Hind
FF: Membrey - King - Lonie
F: Marshall - Hannebery - Ross
Int: Ryder - Dunstan - Clark - Butler

Webster over Wilkie on balance as Webster is quicker. That selection could go either way and Wilkie could consider himself very stiff if he doesnt play.

FB: Geary - Howard - Roberton
HB: Jones - Carlisle - Webster
C: Billings - Steele - B.Hill
HF: Gresham - Battle - Hind
FF: Membrey - King - Lonie
F: Marshall - Hannebery - Ross
Int: Ryder - Dunstan - Clark - Butler

Webster over Wilkie on balance as Webster is quicker. That selection could go either way and Wilkie could consider himself very stiff if he doesnt play.
Without having seen any play yet 2020 that has to be getting pretty close.
I’m just not sure about Battle. Ryder and Marshall where you have them. Understanding that the bench is changing continuously But we won’t rest rucks there for very long and a Forward line with 4 of Ryder, Marshall, Membrey, King and Battle is a bit top heavy.

Mc Kenzie did a couple of good shut down backline tagging rules well. And a couple of shockers. If he's improved I wouldn't be against giving him another go.
Dmac falls over way too much , i doubt he will play at all this year unless we get lots of injuries

The biggest headache for selectors will be who to pick out of Long, Kent, Parker, Lonie, Butler. You could pretty well make a case for any of them, but give we brought Butler in to boost our already healthy small fwd stocks I reckon he’s a cert to play along with one of the rest, probably Lonie.

Without having seen any play yet 2020 that has to be getting pretty close.
I’m just not sure about Battle. Ryder and Marshall where you have them. Understanding that the bench is changing continuously But we won’t rest rucks there for very long and a Forward line with 4 of Ryder, Marshall, Membrey, King and Battle is a bit top heavy.

I agree. I wouldn't have recruited Ryder but hes not going to play at Sandringham. I guess King isnt a lock in every game.

Battle should play forward where has shown good potential. Plenty of options for tallish roaming defenders.

I agree. I wouldn't have recruited Ryder but hes not going to play at Sandringham. I guess King isnt a lock in every game.

Battle should play forward where has shown good potential. Plenty of options for tallish roaming defenders.
Battle proved more than handy down back last year but I reckon you are right and that would be my preferred position for him

Is there some sort of prize or award, even a virtual award for the post that predicts exactly the 22 for Round .1 or the closest if that's feasible.

I suppose that might depend on if there is anyone motivated sufficiently to check everyone's predictions. I imagine those that think they have the closest

can claim and some independent scrutineer could assess their claim to most accurate prognosticator. (Down to including correct positions perhaps.) fORGET IT NWTFE. WWIT.

Last edited:
FB - Wilkie , Brown , Long
HB - Robbo , Carlisle, Jones
C - Billings , Clark , Battle
HF - Hannebery , Membrey, Lonie
FF - King , Ryder , Gresham
R - Marshall , Steele , Hill
I/C - Ross , Parker , Geary , Howard
Emerg - Dunstan , Coffield , Butler , Savage

At this stage still a worry over Webster and Geary’s fitness . If Geary isn’t quite right then Savage comes in .
Cant put Bytel in as we haven’t even seen him play .

Brown starts as we are playing North and I’m unsure if Howard will have the strength to hold North’s Brown . Howard on the bench means he can spell King , Ryder , Marshall, Brown , Robbo , Membrey and Carlisle at times if need be .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back