Prediction Best 22, Round 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I also think it's the time to introduce some flexibility into our game, change things up when momentum is lost, instead of playing out the agreed plan for better or worse as a learning exercise. I'm hoping some experience in the form of Lewis can help us get games back on terms, because our problem against Saints to date is that they just take control of the game, the tempo and structure, and we kind of run circles and hope for the best.

Pretty much this. Last four times we've played the Saints we haven't done a single thing tactically to try and take control of the game back, for *s sake they've beaten us the same way four times in a row and we've done nothing to try and change that.

Pretty much this. Last four times we've played the Saints we haven't done a single thing tactically to try and take control of the game back, for ****s sake they've beaten us the same way four times in a row and we've done nothing to try and change that.
Yeah. It's not the only time, but perhaps the most obvious time, I really felt we were out coached massively. I have hoped that it was part of the learning and growing phase, but I will watch with interest to see if we click a bit better as a team and can change things up when required. It's probably time for the next step - which is to grow up a bit and stop just being the young team with some talent every other week.

Opinions and arseholes and all that, but I think he is. At least at the moment. But I get where you are coming from re Harmes. Good or even very good gut skills - a good attacking player and better than good overhead. Needs to calm a bit and be more measured or something in disposal. But his best work is the right idea. It's a good feeling to have a few blokes with his abilities on the cusp of selection.

Kent has survived mainly due to his potential, the reality is that he hasn't really shown a lot over a long period of time. As a small forward Garlett kicks more goals and is far more creative. His defensive pressure is also greatly overrated and he goes missing for big chunks of a game. For someone of his pace he doesn't get nearly as many tackles as he should.

Kent has survived mainly due to his potential, the reality is that he hasn't really shown a lot over a long period of time. As a small forward Garlett kicks more goals and is far more creative. His defensive pressure is also greatly overrated and he goes missing for big chunks of a game. For someone of his pace he doesn't get nearly as many tackles as he should.
But there is something sort of cool about Kent. (Not the tats because they're horrible). And I met Kent once and he seemed like a really cool guy.

Okay so that's pretty much all of my biggest weapons right there. This analysis was brought to you courtesy of Proper Gander. We now return to the regular schedule.

But there is something sort of cool about Kent. (Not the tats because they're horrible). And I met Kent once and he seemed like a really cool guy.

Okay so that's pretty much all of my biggest weapons right there. This analysis was brought to you courtesy of Proper Gander. We now return to the regular schedule.

Now I understand why you're currently winning the vote, you've convinced me

Certainly having Harmes/Bugg/Kennedy etc as depth is far, far more appealing than M Jones/Bail/McKenzie etc
But we need someone to poll 3 brownlow votes against Essendon. Ever since we got rid of McKenzie we haven't beaten them!

Kent was one of four players to average over a goal for us in 2016. We need the spread of goal kickers if we are to push into the 8 next year. Our midfield in Jones, Viney, Tyson ect.. just don't kick enough goals so we need players up forward that are going to kick goals, there should be a spot for both Garlett and Kent. Kent is also a very important link player on the half forward line where he can find space and get the ball inside 50, finished 2nd for us with inside 50's behind Jones and ahead of Viney, Vince and Tyson.

Kent was one of four players to average over a goal for us in 2016. We need the spread of goal kickers if we are to push into the 8 next year. Our midfield in Jones, Viney, Tyson ect.. just don't kick enough goals so we need players up forward that are going to kick goals, there should be a spot for both Garlett and Kent. Kent is also a very important link player on the half forward line where he can find space and get the ball inside 50, finished 2nd for us with inside 50's behind Jones and ahead of Viney, Vince and Tyson.

+1

Kent also was our best goal assist player in 2016

I tend to agree. I feel Kent is definitely not a lock for best 22. Quick but doesn't seem to apply much pressure. Doesn't seem to be able to play midfield, yet probably doesn't kick enough goals to be a permanent forward. Goes missing regularly. I don't rate him at all by foot and is not a good kick for goal. Prone to injury as well. Yet there is something about him that makes me feel we are better with him in the side than not. I dont know. Maybe it is the potential factor. Dees really need blokes like Kent, Salem and Brayshaw to take a giant leap forward to keep improving as a team..

Sorry for the intrusion guys but just want to learn more about the melbourne team as i'm playing as Melbourne in a trade game
Link: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/post-draft-trade-game.1152646/page-8

btw. Striker475 I hope you don't mind that i stole your best 22 to put in the lists thread.

Can someone tell me about like the players that i may not knowmuch about
O.McDonald
Stretch
Salem
Melksham
Lewis(Just Kidding)
Oliver
Kennedy
Hunt
Harmes
VandenBurg
Neal Bullen
Trengove
Hullet
Pederson

Any help would be madly appreciated :)

Sorry for the intrusion guys but just want to learn more about the melbourne team as i'm playing as Melbourne in a trade game
Link: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/post-draft-trade-game.1152646/page-8

btw. Striker475 I hope you don't mind that i stole your best 22 to put in the lists thread.

O.McDonald - Similar mould to his brother though slightly taller and a bit gumby-ish. Played 15 or so games next year and will continue to be blooded in 17.
Stretch - Quick, small, great skills and in my opinion is in the best 22.
Salem - Missed through illness last year but nice skills, tough, back flanker who is important to us and showed that in round 23.
Melksham - Depending who you ask here, is or isn't in the best 22. His pace & competitiveness will be handy but unsure whether he'll be used on a back flank, wing or forward flank.
Lewis(Just Kidding) - Gun.
Oliver - Hard as nails, great hands, fan favourite who is in our best 22. Tank an issue as with many young mids.
Kennedy - Not in best 22 but handy depth player who has a crack and can kick a goal.
Hunt - Fast AF with pretty good skills and enjoys a goal streaming from the backline through the middle. One of our young favs who is earmarked for a breakout year and one to watch in 17.
Harmes - Arguable in the best 22 depending who you ask. Tough, quick, similar mould to Kent but perhaps a little more versatile positionally.
VandenBurg - Tough nut, mature aged recruit, big body who can play through the middle and rest forward. Just outside the best 22 IMO when we have a clean bill of health but a more than capable depth player if required.
Neal Bullen - A topic of much discussion here. Not been given many opportunities at senior level (only 4 in 16) but too good for VFL. Plays mid at Casey but small forward when in seniors. Probably not in best 25 IMO.
Trengove - If he can get a bit of pace back there is possibly a spot for him but I think showed last year the game had perhaps gone past him a bit. Limited senior games in 16 after long lay off so got to cut him some slack and see how he goes after a full pre season. Great set of hands and clever.
Hullet - Yet to debut. Big bodied tall forward option.
Pederson - Has a crack when played in the seniors and generally stands up when needed. Bit of a 'plug the gap' at the moment until Weideman is more ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody good summary mate reckon I agree with pretty much all of it

It's amazing to think how important Kennedy, AVB and ANB would have been in our 13/14 teams and yet they might not make our round 1 team
Cheers mate.

Yep 100% agree those 3 you named as depth players sh*t all over the spuds we had to gift games previously.
The Brad Hodge's of the AFL - long bow!!

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next few weeks before Xmas. Here's my crack at Melbourne. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Neville Jetta ~ Oscar McDonald ~ Sam Frost
HB: Jayden Hunt ~ Tom McDonald ~ Michael Hibberd

CENTRE: Bernie Vince ~ Jordan Lewis ~ Dom Tyson
FOLL: Max Gawn ~ Nathan Jones ~ Jack Viney

HF: Christian Petracca ~ Sam Weideman ~ Dean Kent
FF: Jeff Garlett ~ Jesse Hogan ~ Jack Watts

INT: Christian Salem ~ Angus Brayshaw ~ Jake Melksham ~ Cam Pedersen/ Clayton Oliver

My initial 22 had Clayton Oliver on the bench, Salem at HB and Hibberd BP but I've since changed my view to add the extra tall back in Frost. Oliver or Pedersen fighting for the last bench spot with Melksham having some work to do as well after missing season 2016.

Hibberd is a very valuable inclusion to the back six and team in general taking some pressure of the less experienced players of the back half in Hunt and Salem. Can play a role as that set up defender and along with Hunt play as the more attacking HBF's.

Jetta continues to play that small defensive role on the opposition's most dangerous small forward. Hunt and Salem as more attacking defenders, Hunt provides run and carry and Hibberd with his ability to set play up, along with Lewis as a 7th back/ midfielder.

The McDonald boys are fairly set in there KPD roles. Both filled out there bodies into big lads and with Tom's ability to link up and provide rebound is an added dimension to the tall structure.

Frost I've brought in just for some extra cover as Hibberd could be considered a bit undersized for the third tall role. Not the flashiest player but his athleticism and versatility are important along with the fact that he can relieve Gawn.

Midfield has been a focus area for the Demons of recent years bringing in players like Vince, Tyson, Lewis, Brayshaw, Petracca, Stretch and Neal - Bullen to name a few over the past few trade periods and national drafts. Has got to a point where with adding the experience of Lewis they have a strong core midfield and a second string midfield to take them a fair way to the future. That they have Gawn finally injury free and playing some fantastic footy is a godsend also.

Lewis, Jones and Viney is a tough and uncompromising set up. Those 3 are the tough nuts at the stoppage that will work hard to get the ball moving forward, Lewis playing as that link midfielder between defence and the midfield as well. Vince and Tyson the more outside midifelders but both are able to adapt to work effectively inside as well.

Hard to argue against the point that the midfield is the greatest area of prominence and depth for the Demons.

In the key forwards Weideman and Hogan you've got the finish of a spine that can lead the club to great things. I'm a big wrap for Weideman and think he complements Hogan well. Will get even better with more experience and games under his belt but as a centre half forward he attacks the ball and the contest very well.

Hogan is a beauty. Already a beast in size the key for Melbourne, I'm going captain obvious here, is keeping him at the club long term. Keep the kid happy, allow him to do his trips home from time to time like they have done, keep feeding him the ball from quality midfielders and he'll keep kicking bags of goals.

Garlett and Kent are the main guys at there feet. Both are fast by foot, hard to catch and have great sense around goal. Kent is someone that may push into the midfield rotations but both are terrific small forwards to have on your team.

Petracca as that powerful half forward and second string midfielder is another weapon at the disposal of Goodwin and company. Link Hogan, Petracca is a key player to keep at the club. Keep the kid happy and well fed on the carbs.

With great application Watts has the traits to become a very strong utility player and not just at Melbourne but in the competition in general, has the capabilities to hold down key roles in the forward half or midfield. can go off HB to where required. Definitely still a best 22 player IMO who working alonside Hogan and Weideman could be a strong tall forward trio.

Salem rotates between half back and outside midfield when on the field using his class and kick to good effect, Brayshaw is part of the second string youthful midfield with Petracca, Kent, Salem and co.

Will be interesting to see where Melksham fits. Before his suspension was anticipated to have a half back role for the Demons in season 2016, a role which Hunt has taken on board and run with so he possibly becomes another midfielder or defender with a hard edge.

Oliver V Pedersen I'll leave up for debate. For an extra possible ruckman's sake I'm leaning towards Pedersen but if he offers little else than a rucking relief that may find himself on the outer early.

The recent batch of draftees - as raw as athlete as he is I think Mitch Hannan is a great fit for the Demons. Can take a high mark and be an x factor inside the forward 50. Mature age recruit so if he has a good pre season and early season form with Casey I wouldn't count against an early season AFL. One thing that may hold him back a bit is that his not a big ball winner and needs to add some strings to his game rather than being just a forward with excitement factor.

Johnstone is a player that you can look to develop for a smaller forward role post Garlett. Competes hard, gives great pressure and has the goal smarts to match.

Filipovic is a ruck project that was obviously rated highly by Gawn after he did some part time coaching with him at Under 18 level. Still raw and his understanding of the game and the ruck craft will need developing but there is pletnty of upside and plenty to work with. Comes from a basketball background but led the Dragons to the premiership and rucked at the Nationals as well.

Smith and Keilty add some mature age experience for the key posts at each end and have both come from the Scorpions so they have a good understanding of the Demons game day strategies. With Hullett being linked as that future third tall in combination with Weideman and Hogan the chances for Smith may be limited but if a long term injury was to occur and a rookie needed to be elevated he would be able to fit straight in and perform a role. CHF in the VFL team of the year for 2016.

Keilty is also someone who could impact straight away and his chances particularly as more of a taller defender may be greater. Doesn't find the ball in big numbers but defends strongly, duly noticed by recognition in the VFL team of the year.

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next few weeks before Xmas. Here's my crack at Melbourne. Appreciate any feedback

INT: Christian Salem ~ Angus Brayshaw ~ Jake Melksham ~ Cam Pedersen/ Clayton Oliver

My initial 22 had Clayton Oliver on the bench, Salem at HB and Hibberd BP but I've since changed my view to add the extra tall back in Frost. Oliver or Pedersen fighting for the last bench spot with Melksham having some work to do as well after missing season 2016.

Hibberd is a very valuable inclusion to the back six and team in general taking some pressure of the less experienced players of the back half in Hunt and Salem. Can play a role as that set up defender and along with Hunt play as the more attacking HBF's.

Jetta continues to play that small defensive role on the opposition's most dangerous small forward. Hunt and Salem as more attacking defenders, Hunt provides run and carry and Hibberd with his ability to set play up, along with Lewis as a 7th back/ midfielder.

The McDonald boys are fairly set in there KPD roles. Both filled out there bodies into big lads and with Tom's ability to link up and provide rebound is an added dimension to the tall structure.

Frost I've brought in just for some extra cover as Hibberd could be considered a bit undersized for the third tall role. Not the flashiest player but his athleticism and versatility are important along with the fact that he can relieve Gawn.

Midfield has been a focus area for the Demons of recent years bringing in players like Vince, Tyson, Lewis, Brayshaw, Petracca, Stretch and Neal - Bullen to name a few over the past few trade periods and national drafts. Has got to a point where with adding the experience of Lewis they have a strong core midfield and a second string midfield to take them a fair way to the future. That they have Gawn finally injury free and playing some fantastic footy is a godsend also.

Lewis, Jones and Viney is a tough and uncompromising set up. Those 3 are the tough nuts at the stoppage that will work hard to get the ball moving forward, Lewis playing as that link midfielder between defence and the midfield as well. Vince and Tyson the more outside midifelders but both are able to adapt to work effectively inside as well.

Hard to argue against the point that the midfield is the greatest area of prominence and depth for the Demons.

In the key forwards Weideman and Hogan you've got the finish of a spine that can lead the club to great things. I'm a big wrap for Weideman and think he complements Hogan well. Will get even better with more experience and games under his belt but as a centre half forward he attacks the ball and the contest very well.

Hogan is a beauty. Already a beast in size the key for Melbourne, I'm going captain obvious here, is keeping him at the club long term. Keep the kid happy, allow him to do his trips home from time to time like they have done, keep feeding him the ball from quality midfielders and he'll keep kicking bags of goals.

Garlett and Kent are the main guys at there feet. Both are fast by foot, hard to catch and have great sense around goal. Kent is someone that may push into the midfield rotations but both are terrific small forwards to have on your team.

Petracca as that powerful half forward and second string midfielder is another weapon at the disposal of Goodwin and company. Link Hogan, Petracca is a key player to keep at the club. Keep the kid happy and well fed on the carbs.

With great application Watts has the traits to become a very strong utility player and not just at Melbourne but in the competition in general, has the capabilities to hold down key roles in the forward half or midfield. can go off HB to where required. Definitely still a best 22 player IMO who working alonside Hogan and Weideman could be a strong tall forward trio.

Salem rotates between half back and outside midfield when on the field using his class and kick to good effect, Brayshaw is part of the second string youthful midfield with Petracca, Kent, Salem and co.

Will be interesting to see where Melksham fits. Before his suspension was anticipated to have a half back role for the Demons in season 2016, a role which Hunt has taken on board and run with so he possibly becomes another midfielder or defender with a hard edge.

Oliver V Pedersen I'll leave up for debate. For an extra possible ruckman's sake I'm leaning towards Pedersen but if he offers little else than a rucking relief that may find himself on the outer early.

The recent batch of draftees - as raw as athlete as he is I think Mitch Hannan is a great fit for the Demons. Can take a high mark and be an x factor inside the forward 50. Mature age recruit so if he has a good pre season and early season form with Casey I wouldn't count against an early season AFL. One thing that may hold him back a bit is that his not a big ball winner and needs to add some strings to his game rather than being just a forward with excitement factor.

Johnstone is a player that you can look to develop for a smaller forward role post Garlett. Competes hard, gives great pressure and has the goal smarts to match.

Filipovic is a ruck project that was obviously rated highly by Gawn after he did some part time coaching with him at Under 18 level. Still raw and his understanding of the game and the ruck craft will need developing but there is pletnty of upside and plenty to work with. Comes from a basketball background but led the Dragons to the premiership and rucked at the Nationals as well.

Smith and Keilty add some mature age experience for the key posts at each end and have both come from the Scorpions so they have a good understanding of the Demons game day strategies. With Hullett being linked as that future third tall in combination with Weideman and Hogan the chances for Smith may be limited but if a long term injury was to occur and a rookie needed to be elevated he would be able to fit straight in and perform a role. CHF in the VFL team of the year for 2016.

Keilty is also someone who could impact straight away and his chances particularly as more of a taller defender may be greater. Doesn't find the ball in big numbers but defends strongly, duly noticed by recognition in the VFL team of the year.

Hi mate, fantastic effort. Great insight for a team that you don't support!

Only change I'd make to your 22 would be removing Weideman. I still think he's a year or even 2 away from holding down a permanent KP spot.

Pedersen is a solid competitor who would start in round one for me, ahead of Weideman, with Oliver remaining on the bench.

Excellent effort, and great discussion there. Reckon you've nailed my best 22.

Actually I do agree with TheDr above, leave Pedo in for Weid for round 1 2017.

This is very close to my Best 22, which means you've probably made a handful of mistakes somewhere. Buggered if I could pick them out though.

I'd have Watts a bit higher up the ground and sharing the ruck with Gawnie if necessary. It would be great to see Weedyman Best 22 at the end of the season but I don't think he'll be there for Round 1.

Bugg's my favourite player and Melksham my least, so I'd swap them based on personality.

As an aside, it's amazing looking at this side and not seeing at least half a dozen players I genuinely can't stand.

O.McDonald
Stretch
Salem
Melksham
Lewis(Just Kidding)
Oliver
Kennedy
Hunt
Harmes
VandenBurg
Neal Bullen
Trengove
Hullet
Pederson

IMO

O.McDonald - Went from being crap to reliable in a very short space of time.. improving really fast. If he keeps trending upwards he is a lock for best 22 this year.

Stretch - Provides us with important speed, skills and decision making, should be best 22 if he can perform consistently and will be an important player for us

Salem - One of our best ball users. Has had alot of health and injury issues the last couple of years but if he can stay healthy will be one of our top players (if you want to see some deliciousness watch the first half of the Casey vs Williams Town final before he got knocked out).

Melksham - Bit of an unknow for us. Could be a fail and spend the whole year at Casey or could provide us with run and ball use and guts and be a consistent best 22 play... who knows?

Lewis(Just Kidding) - :p

Oliver - Knows how to find the ball and uses it well. Can rack up touches and tackles in short bursts but needs to work on stamina to impact 4 quaters. If he builds his fitness base he will be one of the best mids in the comp.

Kennedy - Impace player in short bursts and handy around goals. But needs to work on consistency.

Hunt - Just about my favourite player, locks down a man, spoils well and breaks lines on the rebound with elite level speed and a penetrating kick. Should get more of the ball this year as we look to use a fast transition game plan.

Harmes - Another one who needs consisteny in his game but has the ability to produce big numbers. In games when we are ahead he uses his fitness base to get on the end of scoring chains and can kick multiple goals this way.

VandenBurg - Tough nut. managed Gary Ablett type numbers in the NEAFL but hasnt been a huge possession getter in the AFL. Used buy us as a big bodied presence to apply pressure in the forward line and sometimes goes on the ball. Can take a good contested mark.

Neal Bullen - absolute gun at VFL level, racks up huge numbers. But hasnt been able to bring this at AFL level yet. Is depth as an inside mid.

Trengove - Will struggle to become a best 22 player again in my opinion. May suprise me after completing a full pre season.

Hullet - Depth KPF. Kicked 29 goals from 18 games in his first year of VFL. Probably more developed at this stage than Weideman but doesnt have as much potential. Will probably see a few AFL games this year.

Pederson - In and out of the team quite a bit. Plays KPF and back up ruck when Gawny needs a rest. Strong hands and a good shot at goal. He should be best 22 this year but may be left out to give younger guys a go depending on what Goodwins plan for the future is.

Hope thats helpful

As others have said, very close to the mark. Your knowledge of opposition teams is genuinely impressive and would far exceed that of the average supporter of any given team.

I would agree with swapping Pedersen for Weideman as the latter is still a bit bambi-like for a key post, though he is adding size already and all going to plan should find himself a spot in the second half of the year. That said, this coaching group hasn't shied away from blooding young players so its entirely possible he will line up in Round 1.

Outside of that you have Stretch who I believe is best 22 with his reasonable speed but moreso his kicking. The dilemma becomes who to take out for him. In my side it would be Melksham as I would prefer to see him come into the side via the magoos and earn a spot. That is very unlikely to happen with him being a relatively senior figure in the makeup of the side and a Goody favourite. No other name leaps off the page to make way.

So two preferred changes, but in terms of what we are likely to see I think you've nailed it.

Does anyone else genuinely think that Bernie is going to have to improve to stsy in the side? His second half of 2016 was lackluster at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back