Remove this Banner Ad

B - Jetta Tmac Frost
HB - Hibberd Omac Hunt
C - Lewis Jones Vince
HF - Petracca Pedersen Kent
F - Garlett Hogan Watts
R - Gawn Tyson Viney

Bench - Oliver Stretch Brayshaw Salem

I've gone Pedersen over Weideman as I think Weideman may still need time to develop in the VFL. Although I expect Weideman to play during the year at some point. Also Pedersen can play back up ruck and allows Watts to play forward permanently. Mind you when Weideman comes in Watts of Frost will have to ruck.

Left out Melksham as I just don't see him in best 22 yet. Although Goody probably does.

AVB Harmes ANB Bugg just outside the squad.

Hopefully I haven't left anyone out.

Spot on, mate. I think that's my exact best 22 as it stands too.

I should probably add BenKen to the list of players just outside the squad.
This.

Can't really say enough how good I think BenKen is. He went missing in a few games, but he has a great eye for goal and has a bit of class. Some of his finishes are outstanding and he is good with ball in hand as well. Really think he has the ability to cement a spot in our team, and I think he's going to be valuable once Lewis, Vince, Jonesy retire. Just hope he isn't gone by the time that happens

Don't think Clarry will be able to get to the stage where he can consistently play 90+ minutes a game this season. He will still be playing in spurts, just longer spurts. If he can play 22 games that's already a win in terms of progress. The main thing is to see if Brayshaw will get an extended run in the guts because he looked good against the Saints late last season, got 22 from three quarters

I think Melksham plenty of gigs due to his elite kicking. Nice to think we have five elite kicks in our side now. Lewis, Hibberd, Melksham, Salem and Watts

Don't think Clarry will be able to get to the stage where he can consistently play 90+ minutes a game this season. He will still be playing in spurts, just longer spurts. If he can play 22 games that's already a win in terms of progress. The main thing is to see if Brayshaw will get an extended run in the guts because he looked good against the Saints late last season, got 22 from three quarters
I was quite surprised with the impact he had at the stoppages against the Saints that day considering that was his first game back since round 4 so I didn't think he would play as much in the guts as he did that day. Also the last game against Geelong was encouraging as well as he was probably one of our better players in a really disappointing loss. Like you said, I am really looking forward to Brayshaw's impact next year especially in the midfield as he and Hogan seem to be getting most of the praise for what they've done this pre-season internally and externally. So taking into account Brayshaw's encouraging end to last year and his pre-season so far I reckon he could breakout for us this year.

I think Melksham plenty of gigs due to his elite kicking. Nice to think we have five elite kicks in our side now. Lewis, Hibberd, Melksham, Salem and Watts
It's exciting to think about the impact these four players could make if they get close to having a full season. All of these four players should help us improve on the outside and even inside as well as I think it's been flagged that Lewis and Melksham may spend a bit of time on the inside which will improve our flexibility and midfield depth. But overall, I'm looking forward to seeing how these players impact on the outside more so and all of them have better than average kicking skills so the delivery I50 and around the ground should improve also.

How many rounds in before Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw is our go to mid setup? I'm calling mid season, say round 11 on.

We won't be relying on 3 mids, but 8-10 players that can roll rough the mid field. All the best teams have good midfields that run deep, not 3 players to do all the work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that it matters but I expect Watts to be named at CHF each week.
I also expect him to kick 100 goals, get AA and win the coleman too. Not joking either

I also expect him to kick 100 goals, get AA and win the coleman too. Not joking either
I think he is absolutely capable of kicking 70+ goals to come into Coleman range. Several times last season he managed to kick 2-3 in a qrt, and then only another 1 or no goals for the rest of the game. Obviously that starts to bring closer attention from defenders, but if he can figure out how to still hit the scoreboard, he'll start kicking bags of 5-6 every couple of weeks.

Reckon he's the kind of player that would win a Brownlow off a 100 goal season ;)
Would love to see it but just don't think it will happen. He isn't a power forward and isn't going to be dominating guys one on one. If he turns into a regular 60 goal a season forward for the next five years you'd think we'd win a flag or two.

I think he is absolutely capable of kicking 70+ goals to come into Coleman range. Several times last season he managed to kick 2-3 in a qrt, and then only another 1 or no goals for the rest of the game. Obviously that starts to bring closer attention from defenders, but if he can figure out how to still hit the scoreboard, he'll start kicking bags of 5-6 every couple of weeks.
He's certainly got an eye for goal but he's so valuable running up the ground and providing the final inside fifty entry for Hogan and Weidemann to pounce on. At most, Watts will kick 50 in a year IMO. I'd be much happier with 40 from Weed than 40 from Watts though, Watts playing with confidence is all I need to see.

Would love to see it but just don't think it will happen. He isn't a power forward and isn't going to be dominating guys one on one. If he turns into a regular 60 goal a season forward for the next five years you'd think we'd win a flag or two.
I was being facetious haha. He's not going to kick more than 50 goals a year IMO which is fine.

Like a few on here, I can't see Watts kicking more than 50 a year. What is great to see though, is that Watts looked right at home up forward last year and I hope he plays there for the next few years at least going by the form he showed in 2016. Also Watts along with Kent played an important role in our improvement from last year as well in terms of increasing our spread of goal kickers from 2015 when it seemed that we had a reliance on Hogan and Garlett exclusively.

I can't help but think we could have a legitimate chance of being the next Geelong-ie having 8-9 players every year kicking over 20 goals. Last year we had Kent, Garlett, Watts and Hogan, with Kennedy, Harmes, Gawn not being far off, and Petracca playing more minutes can only lead to him scoring more goals.

I can't help but think we could have a legitimate chance of being the next Geelong-ie having 8-9 players every year kicking over 20 goals. Last year we had Kent, Garlett, Watts and Hogan, with Kennedy, Harmes, Gawn not being far off, and Petracca playing more minutes can only lead to him scoring more goals.
Yeah, I just looked at Geelong's stats from 2007-11 and like you said there were 8-9 players who kicked over 20 goals in each of those seasons and that is something I hope we can achieve as well when our current crop of young players peak.

I agree with you in that I think Petracca will start to kick more goals as well due to him being such a difficult matchup when he's in the forward line as I feel he's just as equally adept at ground level as he is in the air. Personally, I think he'll start to average at least a goal a game this year and he should spend a fair bit of time in the midfield as well which will only aid his development and flexibility.

It'll be interesting to see how our spread of goal kickers evolves this year as there are a few players that you've highlighted yourself who do have the potential to contribute further to our current spread.

Where do T.Smith, Hannan fit in all this? Mature aged. Hannan went for your first pick from memory

Just don't see why theyd be required with Hogan, Weideman, Watts and Pederson (Hullett as depth)

Maybe the club doesn't think Weideman is 100% ready just yet and T.Smith could have a role to play?

I just find them strange pick ups at ~25 yrs old if they don't have a role now. Surely there is enough depth and backup in the VFL with either Weideman/Pederson and Hullett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back