Prediction Best 22, Round 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the injuries, this is my attempt.

B: C Garland O McDonald N Jetta
HB: J Hunt T McDonald J Melksham
C: J Lewis J Viney A Brayshaw
HF: C Salem J Watts C Petracca
F: J Garlett J Hogan T Bugg
R: M Gawn D Tyson N Jones
INT: C Oliver J Spencer B Vince B Stretch

EMG: A Neal-Bullen J Harmes J Trengove

Unavailable: S Frost, M Hibberd, J Wagner, D Kent, A vandenBerg, J Kennedy-Harris, J Smith (something about a toe?)

No idea: Ben Kennedy

Some points:
-I can't see both Garlett and Kent being ready, I feel one of them will play and one will miss. Given Kent's injury history I feel he won't be rushed
-Hickey is the only ruckman that Gawn struggled with last season. Having Spencer also play will at least throw a spanner into the mix, plus also enables Gawn to be a dangerous marking forward target.
-Nibbler, Harmes, Bugg could realistically all via for that other spot as a sort of forward/midfielderish role. Have gone with Bugg at the moment just because of his versatility and pressure
-Given the Saints plethora of talls and our injuries down back, whether we like it or not Garland has to play

Jake the Muss is character from a Kiwi film called Once Were Warriors, who hits his wife and kids and whose best friend rapes his daughter causing her to commit suicide.

A really inspiring and uplifting tale. No idea what it has to do with Jake Spencer though.

Back in my high school days our teacher showed it to us when we were 14 despite it being R Rated. For this and many other reasons he doesn't teach there anymore...

Great movie but showing it to 14 y/o's...crickey

Based on the injuries, this is my attempt.

B: C Garland O McDonald N Jetta
HB: J Hunt T McDonald J Melksham
C: J Lewis J Viney A Brayshaw
HF: C Salem J Watts C Petracca
F: J Garlett J Hogan T Bugg
R: M Gawn D Tyson N Jones
INT: C Oliver J Spencer B Vince B Stretch

EMG: A Neal-Bullen J Harmes J Trengove

Unavailable: S Frost, M Hibberd, J Wagner, D Kent, A vandenBerg, J Kennedy-Harris, J Smith (something about a toe?)

No idea: Ben Kennedy

Some points:
-I can't see both Garlett and Kent being ready, I feel one of them will play and one will miss. Given Kent's injury history I feel he won't be rushed
-Hickey is the only ruckman that Gawn struggled with last season. Having Spencer also play will at least throw a spanner into the mix, plus also enables Gawn to be a dangerous marking forward target.
-Nibbler, Harmes, Bugg could realistically all via for that other spot as a sort of forward/midfielderish role. Have gone with Bugg at the moment just because of his versatility and pressure
-Given the Saints plethora of talls and our injuries down back, whether we like it or not Garland has to play

Reckon I'd pick the same 22 but that back six looks like giving up a lot of points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worried about our ability to cover the Saints forwards without Frost, Hibberd and Garland. This is one week we really need our key / medium defenders on the park and of course they're all injured at the same time. :mad:

Presuming McCartin, Bruce, Membrey and Riewoldt all play (and I'd definitely be playing all of them if I were the Saints, looking at our injury list) we're gonna have to play Smith and OMac on two of them, and that's just filling me with dread. If Riewoldt spends all his time up the ground, then I've got no idea who we have to go with him. Maybe we have to rush in Pedo to fill one or two of these gaps? I really don't envy the choices Goodwin has to make this week.

Was cautiously optimistic about this one before, but with those injuries it looks like it's going to play out a lot like our previous games with the Saints - high scoring, but with the Saints ultimately prevailing because we don't have anyone to stop Membrey kicking six or Riewoldt running around taking 20 marks.

Worried about our ability to cover the Saints forwards without Frost, Hibberd and Garland. This is one week we really need our key / medium defenders on the park and of course they're all injured at the same time. :mad:

Presuming McCartin, Bruce, Membrey and Riewoldt all play (and I'd definitely be playing all of them if I were the Saints, looking at our injury list) we're gonna have to play Smith and OMac on two of them, and that's just filling me with dread. If Riewoldt spends all his time up the ground, then I've got no idea who we have to go with him. Maybe we have to rush in Pedo to fill one or two of these gaps? I really don't envy the choices Goodwin has to make this week.

Was cautiously optimistic about this one before, but with those injuries it looks like it's going to play out a lot like our previous games with the Saints - high scoring, but with the Saints ultimately prevailing because we don't have anyone to stop Membrey kicking six or Riewoldt running around taking 20 marks.

I think you're right, Goodwin won't be getting the match ups he ideally wants this week. Given its Etihad and they always beat us anyway, we are better not worrying about all that and concentrating on how we can exploit their talls and use a smaller line up to our advantage. Could stack the backline and play slingshot, keep the scoring down and mirror their tactics.

Ultimately, our best defense is going to be to win in the middle and keep the ball down our end of the ground.

Ultimately, our best defense is going to be to win in the middle and keep the ball down our end of the ground.
This. Never been a better time to stack our team with midfielders and go full out with the diamond defence. Vince Lewis Melksham Salem Petracca Brayshaw all on flanks/bench to support Tyson Viney Oliver Jones and Gawn. Kill their midfield like the Bulldogs did in last years finals series and that will mask a team whose best key position player is Tom Boyd.

B: J. Smith McDonald, Jetta
HB: Hunt, McDonald, Lewis
C: Brayshaw, Tyson, Stretch
HF: Salem, Watts, Petracca
F: Garlett, Hogan, Kent
R: Gawn, Jones, Viney
INT: Pedersen, Oliver, Vince, Bugg

• J. Smith to debut.
  • I'm desperately keen to have Hibberd, Frost or Wagner back fit (in that order)
  • Vince has the runs on the board but his late-season form in 2016 wasn't inspiring. Needs a good start to 2017

Exactly. If we destroy them in the midfield like we should their forward line won't even get a look in. At the risk of being lynched I'd be in favour of throwing Watts behind the ball to sure up defence if they go in tall. At the very least bring the ball to ground and Hunt, Jetta, and Salem (if he plays back) are pretty reliable at getting it back to the mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back