Prediction Best 22, Round 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Membrey will kick 8 on Joel Smith, way too much footy intelligence for him

As I mentioned in the other thread.. Smith has 3cm on Membrey and I recon he'd be a bit faster too

Should cover him like a blanket.

Footy smarts are not an issue... last years VFL prelim final when Salem went off concussed Smith ripped apart Williamstown from half back by reading the play well, using his athleticism and then hitting targets.

I think Bruce may be our biggest threat up front for the sainters, has shown some great form in the JLT

Seems that way... but he kicked 1 vs Port, none vs Sydney

Now I watched that Carlton game where he kicked a bag and there was no point in him being out there. Carlton had their worst team on the park, they played no defence and the saints kicked it to Bruce every time they went forward. They would of been better off taking him off the ground and giving McCartin a crack at full forward.

Have you even watched Joel Smith play? Like serious question, the kids footy intelligence is not an issue.

He's played zero AFL games, whilst if it wasn't for injury Membrey would have kicked over 50 goals for the season. I don't think you guys have watched Membrey by the end of the year he will be the best 3rd tall in the AFL

He's played zero AFL games, whilst if it wasn't for injury Membrey would have kicked over 50 goals for the season. I don't think you guys have watched Membrey by the end of the year he will be the best 3rd tall in the AFL
Yeah. He won't be the third best tall in the afl. So membrey is going to overtake one of buddy, Kennedy and lynch? And no other forward will get better

I don't think you can whinge we haven't watched enough membrey while commenting on a kids afl intelligence who you've never seen

Yeah. He won't be the third best tall in the afl. So membrey is going to overtake one of buddy, Kennedy and lynch? And no other forward will get better

I don't think you can whinge we haven't watched enough membrey while commenting on a kids afl intelligence who you've never seen
Fairly sure TK said best 3rd tall not 3rd best tall FYI mate.
FWIW I'd be happy to give Smith a go but I do also think Membrey is a bit underrated.

Fairly sure TK said best 3rd tall not 3rd best tall FYI mate.
FWIW I'd be happy to give Smith a go but I do also think Membrey is a bit underrated.
Sorry yes. I misread
Either way, who else goes to him? Smith is footy smart, it's his skills that lack in time

I don't think membrey is underrated anymore. The media fap over him. Didn't he kick 5 on garland last year when we played (or was someone else on him?)

Also, Gunston will go back to his third tall role this year and dominate it again.

Jetta McDonald Smith
Melksham McDonald Hunt
Lewis Oliver Stretch
Petracca Watts Brayshaw
Kent Hogan Garlett
Gawn Jones Viney
Vince Salem Harmes Spencer

Is that the go, or something similar? Maybe Bugg for Harmes? Not a great start for us.

Jetta McDonald Smith
Melksham McDonald Hunt
Lewis Oliver Stretch
Petracca Watts Brayshaw
Kent Hogan Garlett
Gawn Jones Viney

Is that the go, or something similar? Maybe Bugg for Harmes? Not a great start for us.
Yeah that's not far off but not ideal is it?
Maybe Lewis goes back to a flank or Salem with Stretch and/or Melksham playing off the bench and Vince onto a wing

Jetta McDonald Smith
Melksham McDonald Hunt
Lewis Oliver Stretch
Petracca Watts Brayshaw
Kent Hogan Garlett
Gawn Jones Viney

I'd have Bugg in, and send him to tag Riewoldt. He gives away plenty of size, but he's got a really good tank, and can just annoy the crap out of him all day. Plus, we've literally got no one else, so ...

I'd have Bugg in, and send him to tag Riewoldt. He gives away plenty of size, but he's got a really good tank, and can just annoy the crap out of him all day. Plus, we've literally got no one else, so ...
We have lamumba

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buggy on Riewoldt isn't the worst idea I've ever heard. Buggy has great capacity to tag when instructed to focus on that. He killed Sidebottom last QB. Okay so Riewoldt is 10 feet taller and one of the best marks in the competition, but Buggy gets under people's skin. He might be able to throw him off his game maybe.

I reckon that's a decent secondary option.

I'd personally have Vince play on Riewoldt as someone who can play taller than what his height suggests but it's also his ability to limit a player's influence while hurting them the other way which appeals to me.

I think he'd make Riewoldt accountable if they matched up on each other.

I've seen some here are suggesting that we play someone who is a similar height to Riewoldt, but I think that's quite reactionary.

The ideal matchup for Riewoldt would be someone who can be accountable when needed, but can also hurt them going the other way and I reckon Vince fits the bill.

Behind Joe Daniher and who else?

It's unfortunate but with our current status, injury is the only way to stop NRoo. Seriously one of the top three key forwards in his generation. Wouldn't mind buggy giving Roo a few little punches here and there

Buggy on Riewoldt isn't the worst idea I've ever heard. Buggy has great capacity to tag when instructed to focus on that. He killed Sidebottom last QB. Okay so Riewoldt is 10 feet taller and one of the best marks in the competition, but Buggy gets under people's skin. He might be able to throw him off his game maybe.
Actually ... thinking about it, if Riewoldt is going for a mark up the ground, Bugg would just infringe him, even if 90% are called and Bugg gives away 10 free kicks, he at least slows down the Saints ball movement in doing so. If it's a contest inside 50, then you'd assume the team defense would come into it and the Mac's would come in to help ... likely whichever one is playing on McCartin, as he'll be busy ordering a hot dog over the fence or something.

I like your ability to think outside the box on it but I'm not sure that tactic works, has riewoldt ever shown any sign of being annoyed by an opponent? I can't think of one

Probably the only option is to play someone against him who hurts him the other way so that maybe he spends more time chasing than gobbling up marks. Either way he probably takes 10 marks and pumps us again

Probably the only option is to play someone against him who hurts him the other way so that maybe he spends more time chasing than gobbling up marks. Either way he probably takes 10 marks and pumps us again

I reckon that's the way to go. Play Hunt or Salem on him - would be good viewing if nothing else. Otherwise bring Tonya Harding out of retirement.

I reckon that's the way to go. Play Hunt or Salem on him - would be good viewing if nothing else. Otherwise bring Tonya Harding out of retirement.

See hunts a great one, keeps Riewoldt honest as if he leaves him alone he can win us the game with his drive. Then again with team defence Rooey probably just designates Weller or someone to take him on transition

I like your ability to think outside the box on it but I'm not sure that tactic works, has riewoldt ever shown any sign of being annoyed by an opponent? I can't think of one
Bugg did in the NAB last year ... also someone so prone to crying on football ground can surely be cracked!!

Hunt is an interesting prospect actually, only gives away 6cm and has a pretty good leap/spoil. Riewoldt also wouldn't be able to give him too much space without him getting free and putting 15m into him in a few seconds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back