Preview Best 22, Round 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
TMac has no chemistry with Hogan, Trac or Pedersen, and while we have an apparent dearth of KPDs I prefer him at CHB. If we manage to hold Frost and get Lever then we will see.

As a different kind of lineup...what about:

B: Jetta OMac Lever
HB: Hibberd Frost Hunt
C: Lewis Viney Jones
HF: Melksham Pedersen ANB
F: Garlett Hogan Petracca
R: Gawn Oliver TMac
Int: Tyson Brayshaw Salem Hannan

Use TMac as a full-ground utility. Throw him in the guts as a mid, send him forward as a matchup stretcher, use him across the backline as a stopper.
I like your thinking, I just don't think he has the ability to play as a starting midfielder. He is a really good starting CHF with Pedo or Hogan at FF. I've got no issues with him swapping in the ruck with Gawn. Gawn is a good contested mark and good for a goal or two.

I am interested in why Frost hadn't been played for a while, I don't think it's form to be honest, he was travelling well I thought. Wouldn't be surprised if his departure has to do with the Lever deal.

I reckon OMac will be a lot better next year, so I think our defensive issues will iron out. I reckon we are one decent outside midfielder away, that could actually be Hunt.
Lol Hunt is one of the worst kicks on our list. It's fine when his role is gaining metres from half back but he would be useless to us in the midfield.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've said this before, but I do get the feeling Vince will get phased out of our side next season. I just can't see us playing both Lewis and Vince regularly in the same side unless we have a s**t run with injuries. Brayshaw should take over Vince's role at HB if the club sees Gus' future there.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've said this before, but I do get the feeling Vince will get phased out of our side next season. I just can't see us playing both Lewis and Vince regularly in the same side unless we have a s**t run with injuries. Brayshaw should take over Vince's role at HB if the club sees Gus' future there.
I agree. Lewis I wasn't thrilled with at times. Spoken to a lot of my Hawthorn mates and they said he can and did turn the ball over a lot when was there. Both of them in the same side are too slow. I think Brayshaw is a better HF/Midfielder though.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not horrendous. It's something that can definitely be improved. He has enough pace, wouldn't mind him on the wing.
His decision making has certainly improved since he came into the side last year. When he's kicking long, his kicks are still loopy which I see as the main issue, but I think when he's kicking short, his kicks are fine. I quite like the idea of him playing in spurts on the wing where he can still break the lines rebounding from defence but also linking up in attack and putting himself in positions to impact the scoreboard. I think if we played him on the wing he could become a regular goal kicker for us but his natural position I feel is still at HB. I reckon he's got the potential to add an intercept element to his game but we haven't really seen that be a key feature of his game yet even though I've seen it in glimpses. Still got a fair bit of improvement left in him.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Vince will be lucky to play more than 5 games next year.

I agree. Lewis I wasn't thrilled with at times. Spoken to a lot of my Hawthorn mates and they said he can and did turn the ball over a lot when was there. Both of them in the same side are too slow. I think Brayshaw is a better HF/Midfielder though.

Lewis was fine in the 2nd half of the year, I thought he had a pretty good last few games tbh. We'll be a better side without having to carry the lack of spread we get from Vince/Lewis.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I generally liked what Lewis brought to our side this year. I thought his composure and link work around the stoppages was really valuable as well as his flexibility to play at HB.

With Brayshaw, I'm happy for us to play him at either HB or in the midfield. To me he looks better and involves himself in the game more at HB than at HF. Interesting to see what the club decides what to do with him next year.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agreed, it sounds harsh but I hope Vince isn't in our side at the start of the season. I still think he can play an important role for us without playing in the senior side. I reckon he's still valuable with his leadership within the club and I believe he can help with the development of our players in the VFL. That way he can still feel as if he's got worth to our club even though he's not playing in the seniors.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

Lewis was fine in the 2nd half of the year, I thought he had a pretty good last few games tbh. We'll be a better side without having to carry the lack of spread we get from Vince/Lewis.
To be perfectly honest, a lot of our midfield issues will be alleviated if Dom Tyson goes to the next level. We need him stepping up a lot. Jones is getting older and shouldered the load forever, and Lewis isn't going to be that in and under groundhog. We need the ball fed to him on the outside where he can hurt with his kicking.

It really is time for Tyson to put his hand up and play an AA year.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agreed, it sounds harsh but I hope Vince isn't in our side at the start of the season. I still think he can play an important role for us without playing in the senior side. I reckon he's still valuable with his leadership within the club and I believe he can help with the development of our players in the VFL. That way he can still feel as if he's got worth to our club even though he's not playing in the seniors.
His leadership attributes took a hit when he got suspended twice this year. You can't get rubbed out for doing stupid things. He just isn't in our best 22 anymore.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
His leadership attributes took a hit when he got suspended twice this year. You can't get rubbed out for doing stupid things. He just isn't in our best 22 anymore.
Certainly not a good look and not setting the right example to his teammates there's no doubt about that. I agree he's not in our best 22 anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am interested in why Frost hadn't been played for a while, I don't think it's form to be honest, he was travelling well I thought. Wouldn't be surprised if his departure has to do with the Lever deal.

I reckon OMac will be a lot better next year, so I think our defensive issues will iron out. I reckon we are one decent outside midfielder away, that could actually be Hunt.

Were still a decent gameplan or tactical side away imo. Too many rookie errors where too many guys fly and nobody protects the drop.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's not horrendous. It's something that can definitely be improved. He has enough pace, wouldn't mind him on the wing.

It is horrendous, it's one of the worst on our lists
Only lazy media people think pace in the midfield improves every side. Geelong Hawthorn and Sydney never had a heap of pace through the midfield. The players they did have were bit part players as well.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of our midfield issues will be alleviated if Dom Tyson goes to the next level. We need him stepping up a lot. Jones is getting older and shouldered the load forever, and Lewis isn't going to be that in and under groundhog. We need the ball fed to him on the outside where he can hurt with his kicking.

It really is time for Tyson to put his hand up and play an AA year.
Tyson needs to improve his consistency. He's improved in a lot of ways since 2014 but probably regressed in more. Even his clearance game this year was down on 2016. Not to mention, of course, his kicking. If I ever see him kick on his right foot again I'll burn my number 12 jumper. It's frustrating because if he puts it all together he could still be one of the better midfielders in the comp but that relies on him becoming at least an average to good kick (hopefully the coaching staff have a plan for this) and becoming more consistent. Otherwise we're in for another Sylvia/TJ story. His best is up there with any midfielder we've had for a few decades and while he's rarely terrible over 120 minutes he's not producing his best for enough quarters. I do think he's become one of our better mids defensively though where he used to be terrible in this regard.

Tyson needs to improve his consistency. He's improved in a lot of ways since 2014 but probably regressed in more. Even his clearance game this year was down on 2016. Not to mention, of course, his kicking. If I ever see him kick on his right foot again I'll burn my number 12 jumper. It's frustrating because if he puts it all together he could still be one of the better midfielders in the comp but that relies on him becoming at least an average to good kick (hopefully the coaching staff have a plan for this) and becoming more consistent. Otherwise we're in for another Sylvia/TJ story. His best is up there with any midfielder we've had for a few decades and while he's rarely terrible over 120 minutes he's not producing his best for enough quarters. I do think he's become one of our better mids defensively though where he used to be terrible in this regard.
Still hasn't hit 100 games total.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes. Agree with that. He appears to go at one tempo all day, and that's fine if his kicking is accurate, his defensive pressure is there, and his clearance work is getting better. Turning the ball over is just something all our midfielders need to get better at, but I'd love to see Tyson just go up a gear.

Still hasn't hit 100 games total.
Next year will be his seventh year in the system and fifth year with us. Needs a full uninterrupted preseason but there aren't really any excuses when he's shown on multiple occasions what he's capable of. Consider his performances v West Coast, Essendon, or Hawthorn this year.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

No arguments from me that his best games are excellent, but he just burns the ball too much to play that well consistently.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hannan still has so much room for growth. Just needs the consistency
I'm really looking forward to seeing how he develops in the next few years. Really wasn't expecting him to play the majority of games this year and cement himself in the lineup. It shows how highly we rated him that we selected him in round 1 off a VFL intra-club game and a VFL praccy match. Think he had surgery on his shoulder in the off-season last year as well which meant he didn't play in any of the JLT games. To have someone who is equally adept in the air as he is on the ground is exciting. A good pick up for us considering he wasn't taken early in the draft. Kudos to Taylor and the recruiting team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back