Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
B: Jetta OMac Lever
HB: Hunt Frost Hibberd
C: Watts Jones Brayshaw
R: Gawn Viney Oliver
HF: Petracca Hogan Melksham
F: Garlett TMac Hannan
Interchange: Neal Bullen, Salem, Tyson, Lewis bench.

*Assuming we trade 2017,2018 first rounders + Stretch for Lever.

I'm really starting to doubt Watts' job security. We don't need a facilitator third tall at all as Hogan wants to eventually develop into that roaming CHF and TMac has shown to be a threat at FF. If we need a specific facilitator at times we have got Melksham, Petracca as well as hopefully Brayshaw and Salem who will push up the ground.

Now, I know Watts starts on my wing, but this year IMO his best footy was as that forward/ruck/midfielder. I know people always s**t on us for changing Watts' role, but he's that skilled that he can be an effective Mr Fix it. In my team, he's the 7th defender off the bench or moving straight from the wing to half back. He's got speed and a lovely kick which is what we need coming out of defence. I see him replacing Bernie and lessening the defensive responsibilities of Salem, Lewis and Brayshaw.

But it's a risk as to whether the move will pay off. Whether Wattsy will put everything into this pre season and off season. Whether Watts embraces his new Mr Fix it role. Whether Watts even thinks this is the best place for him where he could walk into almost any best 22 outside of Adelaide because of his diverse skill set as a third tall.

I could see us trading Watts to Sydney with our second rounder for their first rounder and maybe Michael Talia to act as our depth defender in case two of OMac, Lever, Frost go down. Then we bundle the two first rounders and Stretch to Adelaide for Lever, and maybe a pick coming back our way in the 30s or 40s.

But this best 22 assumes we keep Wattsy, and I'd love to keep him here, not just for the romance but because he's a bloody good footy player.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

I like that line up, I think it could do some damage. If we do end up getting Lever though, I seriously hope we don't pay that much for him, 2017 and 2018 firsts + Stretch is starting to get into Chris Judd territory for trades, that is the kind of thing that GWS are going ask for to get Kelly. Lever is good, but we are not close enough to be selling the farm for one player. That is the kind of thing Collingwood would do.

I would hate to see us trade Stretch, one of the main candidates on our team to develop into the outside role we are crying out for. He stalled a bit this year while others went past him, but the development for most kids isn't linear, and they usually don't just get incrementally better year on year. Two steps forward, one step back.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Assuming we trade 2017,2018 first rounders + Stretch for Lever.
Yeah no thanks.

Dangerfield is the best player in the league and he was worth a first and second round. That's way overs for Lever.

For that price you'd want a Top 5 midfielder in the league.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

I'm really starting to doubt Watts' job security. We don't need a facilitator third tall at all as Hogan wants to eventually develop into that roaming CHF and TMac has shown to be a threat at FF. If we need a specific facilitator at times we have got Melksham, Petracca as well as hopefully Brayshaw and Salem who will push up the ground.

Now, I know Watts starts on my wing, but this year IMO his best footy was as that forward/ruck/midfielder. I know people always s**t on us for changing Watts' role, but he's that skilled that he can be an effective Mr Fix it. In my team, he's the 7th defender off the bench or moving straight from the wing to half back. He's got speed and a lovely kick which is what we need coming out of defence. I see him replacing Bernie and lessening the defensive responsibilities of Salem, Lewis and Brayshaw.

But it's a risk as to whether the move will pay off. Whether Wattsy will put everything into this pre season and off season. Whether Watts embraces his new Mr Fix it role. Whether Watts even thinks this is the best place for him where he could walk into almost any best 22 outside of Adelaide because of his diverse skill set as a third tall.

I could see us trading Watts to Sydney with our second rounder for their first rounder and maybe Michael Talia to act as our depth defender in case two of OMac, Lever, Frost go down. Then we bundle the two first rounders and Stretch to Adelaide for Lever, and maybe a pick coming back our way in the 30s or 40s.

But this best 22 assumes we keep Wattsy, and I'd love to keep him here, not just for the romance but because he's a bloody good footy player.

Why are we trading Stretch when he is contracted till 2019?

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Yeah no thanks.

Dangerfield is the best player in the league and he was worth a first and second round. That's way overs for Lever.

For that price you'd want a Top 5 midfielder in the league.
He was a RFA and crows took unders to prevent drawn out negotiations.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Why are we trading Stretch when he is contracted till 2019?
SA boy and we need to give up something nice for the Crows. I'd personally love to keep him but idk if 2 first round picks is enough

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Two first round picks on their own is too much, if we put that on the table I would want one of Adelaide's firsts coming back

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
He was a RFA and crows took unders to prevent drawn out negotiations.
Agree Dangerfield was a bargain, but two 2 first round picks (and a decent player) is still overs.

We had two defenders in the All-Australian squad this year, alongside the McDonalds and a freshly re-signed Frost I don't see this as an urgent area of need.

I'd want an absolute gun with multiple All-Australians + change for 2 first rounders personally.

Especially when you consider what our club has done with our first round picks recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HB17

Debutant
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
A lot saying that we might be too tall with Lever and playing all our talls but looking how Adelaide set up that may not be the case..

Hartigan = Omac
Talia = Frost
Lever = Lever

Walker = Hogan
McGovern = Pederson
Jenkins = Tmac
Lynch = Watts

I think all four of those players are quite versatile and can play high up the ground in a link up roll similar to Lynch and Jenkins, with the other 2 playing deep.

Obviously this would require a large improvement in defensive efforts and tackling, particularly in our forward line, for this to work, but I think a big preseason drilling this into the players it could potentially work out and really stretch defenses.

I don't think Watts and Hogan aren't capable in applying pressure and tackling, both just choose not to.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
A lot saying that we might be too tall with Lever and playing all our talls but looking how Adelaide set up that may not be the case..

Hartigan = Omac
Talia = Frost
Lever = Lever

Walker = Hogan
McGovern = Pederson
Jenkins = Tmac
Lynch = Watts

I think all four of those players are quite versatile and can play high up the ground in a link up roll similar to Lynch and Jenkins, with the other 2 playing deep.

Obviously this would require a large improvement in defensive efforts and tackling, particularly in our forward line, for this to work, but I think a big preseason drilling this into the players it could potentially work out and really stretch defenses.

I don't think Watts and Hogan aren't capable in applying pressure and tackling, both just choose not to.

Main difference is Adelaide almost never bomb long and they prefer to sit deep and run in waves.

Hartigan = Omac
Talia = Frost
Lever = Lever

Walker = Hogan
McGovern = Pederson
Jenkins = Tmac
Lynch = Watts
Big if true

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Hartigan = Omac
Talia = Frost
Lever = Lever

Walker = Hogan
McGovern = Pederson
Jenkins = Tmac
Lynch = Watts

Works for the Crows because their skills are in another universe to ours so they don't have to defend as many turnovers and their forwards work a lot harder up and down the ground.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I really really hope Weideman comes on next year
It took Josh Kennedy five years to play a full season, though his fourth was his "breakout" year where he went from 7 games/7 goals to 16 games/31 goals.

It's frustrating, but at least we can enjoy the twilight of Pedo's career while Weedymann simmers a little longer.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It took Josh Kennedy five years to play a full season, though his fourth was his "breakout" year where he went from 7 games/7 goals to 16 games/31 goals.

It's frustrating, but at least we can enjoy the twilight of Pedo's career while Weedymann simmers a little longer.
I like Weed.

I wish people would stop freaking out over the rate of his development. He seems nice plus I like him plus I swear I can spot a dormant beast glimmering away steadily in his eye. But most importantly I like him so he should stay.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I like Weed.

I wish people would stop freaking out over the rate of his development. He seems nice plus I like him plus I swear I can spot a dormant beast glimmering away steadily in his eye. But most importantly I like him so he should stay.

So wait what do you think of Weid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back