Predictions for this Friday’s game:

FB: Crozier Cordy La Young
HB: Daniel Keath Johannisen
C: Hunter Macrae Lipinski
HF: Smith Schache Lloyd
FF: Dickson Naughton Dale
R: Trengrove Bont Dunkley

I/C: McLean, Wallis, Williams, Richards, Hayes, Cavarra

I feel like Weightman would probably be in there somewhere.

Not sure if Astronaught is available for Friday night but I for one would like to see all 3 forward three talls play in a least two pre-season games together to gauge if it is going to work prior to round 1.
Considering we only have two preseason games and Bruce is already out of tomorrow night's game, the best they'll get is one, assuming all 3 are fit for Port game in two weeks.

Was hoping with Wood out Lewis Young could have a chance to make his case. But it definitely feels like they want to run with the Keath / Cordy duo. Gardner is... interesting

One half Roarke one half Hayes I'll guess. Two full preseaons in a row for Roarkey, coming time to prove that it was just injuries holding him back.

Hopefully see Porter and Cavarra get a look. Disappointed that Weightman isn't but it does feel nice that our first round picks don't get an immediate spot.

Was hoping with Wood out Lewis Young could have a chance to make his case. But it definitely feels like they want to run with the Keath / Cordy duo. Gardner is... interesting

One half Roarke one half Hayes I'll guess. Two full preseaons in a row for Roarkey, coming time to prove that it was just injuries holding him back.

Hopefully see Porter and Cavarra get a look. Disappointed that Weightman isn't but it does feel nice that our first round picks don't get an immediate spot.
It’s a strong team. Even though it’s only the first pre-season game it does appear to give an insight into the current pecking order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JJ at CHB. What is the point of that??????
You've obviously been around quite a while, like me, Mr W. We remember the days when selection committees earnestly named players exactly where they were going to play.

But let's be honest. Where players get named on Thursday night means diddlysquat these days. We have a notional back six that includes Keath and Cordy and a bunch of small-to-medium sized players. They either play a fluid zone defence or if they really want to play man-on-man (when did that last happen?) our big blokes will pick up North's big blokes.

"CHB" is a quaint relic of the 1960s.

After last night:

FB: Crozier, Cordy, Wood
HB: Daniel, Keath, JJ
C: Hunter, Bont, Hayes
HF: Schache, Naughton, Wallis
FF: Dale, Bruce, Lloyd
R: English, Dunkley, Macrae
Int: B.Smith, Suckling, Lipinski, Mclean.

Duryea and Libba to eventually come in for Mclean and Wallis.
Hayes to fight Roarke Smith, Ed Richards, and even Suckling for a spot on the wing.
No room for Dickson with the 3 tall forwards, Dale and Lloyd. We always play a mid as the 6th forward.

FB: Crozier Trengrove Cordy

HB: Wood Keith JJ

RR: English Bont Dunkley

CC: Hunter Macrae Daniel

HF: Wallis Naughty Shaq

FF: Dickson Bruce Dale

Int: Suckling, Lloyd, Williams (Duryea - when fit) McLean (Libba when fit)

Young could play ahead of Trengrove - just depends on who we are playing on. If Mason Cox then prefer Trengrove. If faster player then Young. We still got pushed around by Norths big kids with Ben Brown - Trenners handles that better for now. Gone three talls - Cordy will take the faster 190-193 player.

Daniel and Suckling to interchange. Ed Richards will come through. And yet to see CoryW will see how he goes but Dickson if fit is a very very good player and makes us look better.

FB: Crozier Trengrove Cordy

HB: Wood Keith JJ

CC: Hunter Macrae Lipinski

HF: Wallis Schache Dale

FF: Lloyd Bruce Weightman

Int: Suckling, Williams, B Smith, Hayes

Players when fit who I expect to play most games this year not in that side:
Naughton
Libba
Duryea
Richards
Young
Young

My preferred team:
FB: Crozier Cordy Duryea

HB: Williams Keith JJ

CC: Schache Macrae Hunter

HF: B Smith Naughton Lipinski

FF: Dale Bruce Weightman

Int: Libba, Le Young, Richards, Woodward

Last edited:
FB: Wood, Keath, Crozier
HB: Daniel, Cordy, JJ
C: Hunter, Bont, Richards
HF: Schache, Naughton, Lipinski
FF: Dale, Bruce, Lloyd
R: English, Dunkley, Macrae
Int: B.Smith, Suckling, McLean, Wallis

Depth - Libba, Dickson, Trengove, West, Duryea, Hayes, Le Young, Williams.

I think we have quite good depth. I'd be comfortable in saying we bat 30 deep and any of the 8 listed above could slot into a role at AFL level, with a lot of them playing plenty of good AFL level football over the years.

I don't think Naughton gets up for round 1, and lewy Young had played a couple of CHF/ruck relief games at VFL last year (one I remember at Willy).
Roarke Smith clearly in our plans and a potential round 1 berth as a defensive wingman ahead of Hayes. McLean and Williams didn't play wing against North so we can rule their wing spot out.

For fun - First choice and replacement

FB: Crozier Young Cordy
(R). LaYoung Trengrove Williams

HB: JJ Keath Wood
(R) Richards Gardiner Duryea

(R) Sweet Jong (Inj) West

C: Hunter Macrae Smith
(R) LVM McLean Hayes

HF: Schache Naughton Dale
(R) Gowers Gardiner Green

FF: Dickson Bruce Wallis
(R): Weightman Trengrove Cavarro

Starting Int: Daniel Suckling Lipinski Libba

Other: R.Smith; García; Khamis; Porter; Lynch; Butler

We only have two tall replacements so they will need to cover forward and back.

Of course - int likely to replace first and other come on to int bench.

For talls likely to replace with a different set up - ie if one of tall forwards goes down we would probably go with two talls. English likely replaced by Trengrove.

etc

Who covers Naughton if he misses round 1?

Bruce, Schache, Dickson, Lloyd, Wallis, Dale as the forward line seem alright to everyone? Apparently Dale kicked 3 in the intra-club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back