Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Who covers Naughton if he misses round 1?

Bruce, Schache, Dickson, Lloyd, Wallis, Dale as the forward line seem alright to everyone? Apparently Dale kicked 3 in the intra-club.

I think that's solid. Maybe Young on the interchange bench to go wherever he might be needed, and maybe Smith rotating in through the midfield.

Funnily enough, was speaking to Irene Chatfield at the North practice game. She attends a lot of training sessions, and said Gowers and Porter were two of the standouts in most sessions.
Gowers has gone right down the list. With Young’s form late last year and in the North Marsh game, he has to be first in line. I’d like to see him fit into the team somehow after what he’s shown recently

It's probably make or break for Gowers at the Dogs this year so can imagine he'd be working his butt off.

Hope he cracks the side round 1 as I do like him but man his goal kicking lets him down.

Gowers has gone right down the list. With Young’s form late last year and in the North Marsh game, he has to be first in line. I’d like to see him fit into the team somehow after what he’s shown recently
He tried hard in the intra-club but his return was minimal, one shot out on the full was all I can recall.

Wallis kicked four and was the standout forward on the day.

I noticed he's listed on the Dogs website as a key forward, which isn't where I'd play him.
That's probably related to the decision by ChampionData to have Gardner categorised as a FWD in fantasy football this year. We don't decide stuff like that on our own website, it comes down from the AFL.

Do you think we can win this round 1 game by enough to be on top of the ladder. Heard a stat at the weekend that every team this century who was on top of the ladder in a leap year after round 1 has won the flag 2000 Bombers,2004 Port ,2008 Hawks,2012 Swans,2016 Dogs.

I'm gonna make a big call and say Ryan Gardner will play most games this year. As a defender. He was played forward a bit last year which isn't his natural position but so far in both the first Marsh game and the intraclub last weekend I thought he looked really good. I guess it depends on whether we think we need three tall defenders because Keath and Cordy are obviously the first choice key backs. But I'd have Gardner as our third back tall defender on form and I could see him squeezing his way into the side.

I'm gonna make a big call and say Ryan Gardner will play most games this year. As a defender. He was played forward a bit last year which isn't his natural position but so far in both the first Marsh game and the intraclub last weekend I thought he looked really good. I guess it depends on whether we think we need three tall defenders because Keath and Cordy are obviously the first choice key backs. But I'd have Gardner as our third back tall defender on form and I could see him squeezing his way into the side.
The only way would be if one of the 2 mentioned get injured or we play a side that has a monster key forward. Playing all 3 would make us slower and Lewis Young’s form late last year could have him in front of Gardner if he’s not playing forward. Good that he is out of the forward line at least, didn’t look good there last year.

I agree with you re his improvement and where he is best suited however think he'll be a back up for injury to Wood or one of the other talls to start the year but should get opportunity to play a few games.

Happy with Gardner as a Wood replacement I just dont want him anywhere near the forwardline. Scarred from last years Carlton game but everyone plays a bad game.

Is anyone else bemused as to why we throw one of our biggest talents around in Lewis Young between the backs and forward. My gut feel is that we are ok in the forwardline now and long term with JUH coming in next year. Why not train Lewis Young (like he had been) to be Woods long term replacement?

Forwards we have Naughts, Schache, Bruce, JUH (next year) and even Billy plays as a tall forward not a crumber. Lewis Young played the final as a backman and was in our run of wins as a backman. Why is he playing forward at the moment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with Gardner as a Wood replacement I just dont want him anywhere near the forwardline. Scarred from last years Carlton game but everyone plays a bad game.

Is anyone else bemused as to why we throw one of our biggest talents around in Lewis Young between the backs and forward. My gut feel is that we are ok in the forwardline now and long term with JUH coming in next year. Why not train Lewis Young (like he had been) to be Woods long term replacement?

Forwards we have Naughts, Schache, Bruce, JUH (next year) and even Billy plays as a tall forward not a crumber. Lewis Young played the final as a backman and was in our run of wins as a backman. Why is he playing forward at the moment?
He was a direct replacement for Naughton in the March series practice match. I think he’s our new swingman!

He played forward last game because we needed someone to help Schache/let the team play with a proper forward structure and we already knew it couldn't be Gardner. Nobody expected him to kick 3 (and should've had more). You can't drop him after that, it would just be unfair. There's a chance he plays defence tomorrow, but I reckon they'll probably give him a go forward again and he wont' get a goal so they can say they gave him a fair go and move him back to defence.

Of course if he kicks another 2 or 3 they should play him round 1 otherwise it's not rewarding form. I really doubt he can do it in a proper match against a top 8 defence so it'll be fair on Young and put the idea to rest. Bonus is it gives the team a chance with a 3 tall structure without rushing Naughton.

Will be interesting to see how we structure up today. It should give some insight into how the Rnd 1 team may look like barring injury!!

Marsh game 2 taught us nothing really, except that we should never ever ever again leave English up the ground and get Keath or Cordy to take a ruck stoppage.

Last year we played 7 defenders and rolled one through the interchange.

Cordy and Keath are locked in as the two talls, Crozier an absolute lock, and I'd say JJ is immovable.
Wood and Williams are going to play based on the pre-season, which leaves Daniel as that bench player - Suckling becomes a full time utility

English, Bont, Macrae and Dunkley pick themseves as first centre rotation. Hunter on one wing. God knows on the other - Suckling gave the occsional chop out but he's on my bench. Roarke Smith as the round 1 surprise (we only really trialled Hayes or Roarke there pre-season).
Lipinski as the bench-midfielder who can go forward or wing if needed.

The forwardline is a dog's breakfast. Bruce is a lock, Lloyd is a lock, and nobody else. Wallis is probably third (playing deep) and the MC love Dale. With Naughton injured, it's out of Schache or Young to take that last spot and both look hesitant in aspects of the game (Schache in the air, Young with the ball in hand). I'll go with a surprise and name Young as he is a reasoonable ruck chop-out.

Bailey Smith starts high and rotates in the midfield, which leaves just one bench spot for a forward. Dickson and Naughton I assume miss which leaves McLean in by the skin of his teeth (Ed Richards playing VFL + concussion means he misses out).

That's the 22 by deduction at this stage, and I'm not sure I like it.

B: Williams, Cordy, Wood
HB: Crozier, Keath, JJ
C: Hunter, Dunkley, R. Smith
HF: B. Smith, Le Young, S. Lloyd
FF: Wallis, Bruce, Dale

Foll: English, Bontempelli, Macrae

Bench: Daniel, Suckling, Lipinski, McLean

After that I’ve changed a few things for Round 1

Croz. Trengove Keath
Jj. Cordy. Wood
Smith. Bont Williams
Lipinski. Young. Lloyd
Wallis. Bruce Dicko
English. Dunks. McRae

Richards. Hunter. Smith. Don’t care

Schache Hayes McLean are no good and Daniel isn’t a backman is a contending football team.

id also be very close to dumping Hunter, far too many of the same errors year in year out and he continually stops the run on of play. How an AFL footballer has zero ability to kick on their oppo after so many years on the system is not even close to acceptable

Last year we played 7 defenders and rolled one through the interchange.

Cordy and Keath are locked in as the two talls, Crozier an absolute lock, and I'd say JJ is immovable.
Wood and Williams are going to play based on the pre-season, which leaves Daniel as that bench player - Suckling becomes a full time utility

English, Bont, Macrae and Dunkley pick themseves as first centre rotation. Hunter on one wing. God knows on the other - Suckling gave the occsional chop out but he's on my bench. Roarke Smith as the round 1 surprise (we only really trialled Hayes or Roarke there pre-season).
Lipinski as the bench-midfielder who can go forward or wing if needed.

The forwardline is a dog's breakfast. Bruce is a lock, Lloyd is a lock, and nobody else. Wallis is probably third (playing deep) and the MC love Dale. With Naughton injured, it's out of Schache or Young to take that last spot and both look hesitant in aspects of the game (Schache in the air, Young with the ball in hand). I'll go with a surprise and name Young as he is a reasoonable ruck chop-out.

Bailey Smith starts high and rotates in the midfield, which leaves just one bench spot for a forward. Dickson and Naughton I assume miss which leaves McLean in by the skin of his teeth (Ed Richards playing VFL + concussion means he misses out).

That's the 22 by deduction at this stage, and I'm not sure I like it.

B: Williams, Cordy, Wood
HB: Crozier, Keath, JJ
C: Hunter, Dunkley, R. Smith
HF: B. Smith, Le Young, S. Lloyd
FF: Wallis, Bruce, Dale

Foll: English, Bontempelli, Macrae

Bench: Daniel, Suckling, Lipinski, McLean

Young versus Schache is really interesting. Young gets more goals, appears preferred in ruck and can roll back to defence - sounds easy but not sure what else Bevo has Schache doing - ie crashing packs, up the ground, big body for other players? Agree on the face of it Young plays. And his flexibility may make him hard to leave out when Naughton comes back but he may be too close to them (BLuce and Naughty). Normally an excellent kick but lost his radar today and was shocking - could have had 2.

Is Dickson injured? If not he plays for me. In the place of McLean or maybe Roarke.

If Roarke can add a hard side (seems to have courage in him but maybe not a mean/explosive streak - he could add something. Has a couple good battles with SPP and was beaten but did OK. He is still a player looking for his role.

Naughton and Libba - seem unlikely but would both come in.

Trenners would play if playing Port again but not Collingwood. (Unless he is needed to tag team Grundy? Think he got beaten badly last time he went up against him? Do one of you guys know? Apparently played poorly in a game we won easily today which won’t help.

West is going to be knocking the door down soon also. Richards will push through by year end.

But otherwise our depth is not great but our best 26 is certainly top 8. In 2016 we won the VFL because we had many players afl standard in the 2s.

No chance we’ll line up like this, but I’d go:

FB: Williams Trengove Wood
HB: JJ Keath. Crozier
C: richards macrae. Hunter
HF: Dale Schache McLean
FF: West Bruce. Lloyd
R: English Bonti Dunkley
IC: smith. Lipinski , Daniel, suckling

Trengove takes Cox (cue the jokes) and helps out with Grundy.

Richards takes the wing role in tandem with JJ.

No cordy. No Wallis. No Dickson.

Mclean, Schache, suckling and wood super lucky. Schache doesn’t play when Naughton’s back IMO.

A little bit worried about our forward line. I just don’t think our best 6 individual forwards work into our best functional 6.

Our best medium goal kickers like Lloyd and Dale simply don’t apply enough pressure to be able to carry 3 talls. I like Schache but I feel like he’s the odd man out.

Wallis Bruce Lloyd
Dale Naughton Weightman/Cavarra

A little bit more balance with some speed and pressure.

Trengove takes Cox (cue the jokes) and helps out with Grundy.

My highly immature Fantasy team has a forward line of Sexton, Woodcock, Cox, Cox, Cox, and Cox.

FB: Williams Trengove Wood
HB: JJ Keath. Crozier
C: richards macrae. Hunter
HF: Dale Schache McLean
FF: West Bruce. Lloyd
R: English Bonti Dunkley
IC: smith. Lipinski , Daniel, suckling

West is definitely too good for VFL and we could have used a player like him in today's match.

This is my attempt at a balanced team.

Strong Book Ends with Naughton and Bruce, Young to give a decent chop out to English when he is off and some match-up flexibility back and forward
Cordy ahead of Sache because he is naturally more aggressive, more nimble and likes a contest, Daniel to be used as required from the bench gives Bevo some optional tricks. McClean back where he belongs in the guts and Macrae back on the wing where he made his name. Lloyd, Dale and Lipinski pick themselves as they are all solid shots at goal and opportunistic.

I've get West in the forward pocket ahead of Wallis. Wallis aint much a crumber which the role requires and West has shown some acumen in this area. Wallis off the bench in mid-field rotations with B.Smith

JJ, Naughton, Wood
Crozier, Keath, Williams
Macrae Dunkley, Hunter
Lloyd, Cordy, Lipinski
Dale, Bruce, West

Rucks: English, Bontempelli, Mclean

I/C: L.Young, B.Smith, Daniel, Wallis

Emergencies: Liber, Dickson, Richards, Suckling, Jong,

My attempt at a round one team after the preseason

b: crozier keath Daniel
Hb: jj cordy Williams
C Hunter Bont smith
Hf: Lloyd naughton schache
F: dale Bruce Wallis
Ruck: English macrae Dunkley
int: Wood lipinski Richards suckling
Emg: McLean r smith young

personally I’d rather see Daniel further up the ground, would also play young over schache as he offers greater flexibility and better allows Bruce and naughton to both stay forward. Also think we lack a pacy small forward but don’t see Bevo playing anyone who didn’t play a single preseason game other than naughton. the second wing is still an issue would personally try McLean there but McLean as a forward isn’t best 22 that’s why I left him out. Also think wood is in big trouble keeping his spot unless his form improves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back