Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on this line up...?

View attachment 790350

It's not bad. Obviously it's at least a tall short. 1 of Trengove or Young should be a lock. I doubt we move Macrae to the wing he's too good inside so that needs to be reshuffled. And that bench is a bit too mid-forward heavy unless we changed what we do with Richards all of a sudden.

I think the same!
What’s your r1 team mate..?

hard to pick but you can bet that after recruiting Keath to help our backline bet higher we won’t be playing just him as the only KPB. Bevs history would tell us Cordy is a lock as well as Daniel(which makes me sick) and most likely Suckling if fit.

ao the team I think will be pick isn’t the team I would pick which would be something like this

Wood Cordy Duryea
Crozier Keath JJ
Richards Bont Hunter
Lloyd Naughton Smith
McLean Bruce Greene
English McRae Dunks

Vandemeer Scache Libba Suckling/Dickson

So many of the same questions: for all the issue is not talent but are they better than others or match up only.

1. Does JJ play wing or
HBF? Has been tried there but his strength is metres gained and burst speed - wouldn’t wing just slow him down? Normally best are the time trial winners. For us / who is this? Hunter always top group and takes one wing.

2. Does Suckling start? Polarising player - have to admit I was not a fan. Too many show pony kicks that opened us right up. But he has moved to become one of our most consistently good players and added clutch goals. I like him more as a forward but hard to keep off the bench. One of only 4 rated elite by champion data but not sure how well that takes into account errors - though much less now.

3. Does Daniel play? A bit like Libba and Wallis - we forget how good he is. Like Sam Mitchell- under rated as too small and too slow until realising he is just very good Was also rated elite by champion data. Until he was injured he was one of our best and would be again. He adds set up precision/quarterback capability no one else has. Must play.

4. Dickson? Issue is injury - if he is fit he is arguably our best forward. Who is last play to kick 50? But not getting picked in the last final is an indication that either time has caught up or that the risk won’t be taken. Am a huge fan but adding Lloyd and Bruce and emergence of Naughty and Dale means limited places. Weightman is a kid and doubt he will play straight away but will be past this year if not already. For me he plays if fit.

5. Cordy starting line up? Interesting to see the lack of love for Cordy. He is still very young but solid. Is he is the third tall like his idol (and mine) Morris he should thrive. Hit the gym if you what to replace the master. Of course he isn’t there yet but he is on a great trajectory blocked by having to play KPD.

6. McLean? Looked like he was really dropping off last year with Bailey Smith and probably Lippy passing him. And Richards and Hayes adding speed and endurance that he doesn’t seem to have. He played a couple towards the end of the year to show his talent is best 22. His flexibility means he is now fighting with Wallis for the forward/mid

7. Libba? This is really simple - is he physically and mentally fit. Not a great year last year but fit and firing he is a clear best 22 and need shown in the giants game of a hard mid.

8. Wally? I am a fan and statistically he is the best forward/mid - he has a great goals per game when playing forward and will get touches and is tough and hard. I want him in the team but is another hard to fit in.

9. Trengrove? pants Lynch and not sure Keath could do. LeYoung still has arms like my 9 year old daughter but is getting better fast. Has flexibility as an advantage but is hurt by improvement (very slow) of Schache in the ruck. Can see him fitting in but expect he will still play a large number of games.

10. Duryea - top 22 talent but who does he replace. Some of us having replacing Wood or Dickson. May be driven by Woods form?

11. Richards - is a star if the future like West. Just a matter of time before he is a regular as a wing/HBF alternating with JJ. But finished the year in bad form - second year blues. May not start especially given Lipinskis rise but they are very different players.

Thoughts on this line up...?

View attachment 790350

Sorry, but I am sick of the Caleb Daniel at HBF myth. I've gone to the games, he lines up as a wingman and heads straight back as a deep defensive winger. 7 man defense stuff, ok?

So, in comes the excellent, versatile Zaine Cordy to BP. Taylor Duryea to HBF, Daniel to interchange/wing, out Ed Richards (who has to work on increasing his involvements in the VFL, very lucky to have got as many games as he has, players like Mitch Wallis and Jack Macrae have been dropped for much better games than Richards' average outing).

Next. What is this ******* Jack Macrae winger malarkey? He never plays there. He is the starting ruck rover. Macrae>ruck rover, Bailey Smith to the wing to get a chance to show more of his wares.

Next. Dickson = depth only for his last year. Sorry, but I would be starting Mitch Wallis as a permanent forward and let's see who can knock him off his perch from the clutch of players vying for a permanent mobile forward role. Dickson gets a game only if Wallis duds and none of the younger crew like Weightman, Gowers, etc are putting their hand up ahead of him. Don't want to be mean. Dickson is a club legend but that is the way it should be in 2020, I doubt his aging footy body will move any better than last year, in 2020 he will only be a goal a game, way below his great years. Mitch will do better.

Sorry, but I am sick of the Caleb Daniel at HBF myth. I've gone to the games, he lines up as a wingman and heads straight back as a deep defensive winger. 7 man defense stuff, ok?

So, in comes the excellent, versatile Zaine Cordy to BP. Taylor Duryea to HBF, Daniel to interchange/wing, out Ed Richards (who has to work on increasing his involvements in the VFL, very lucky to have got as many games as he has, players like Mitch Wallis and Jack Macrae have been dropped for much better games than Richards' average outing).

Next. What is this ******* Jack Macrae winger malarkey? He never plays there. He is the starting ruck rover. Macrae>ruck rover, Bailey Smith to the wing to get a chance to show more of his wares.

Next. Dickson = depth only for his last year. Sorry, but I would be starting Mitch Wallis as a permanent forward and let's see who can knock him off his perch from the clutch of players vying for a permanent mobile forward role. Dickson gets a game only if Wallis duds and none of the younger crew like Weightman, Gowers, etc are putting their hand up ahead of him. Don't want to be mean. Dickson is a club legend but that is the way it should be in 2020, I doubt his aging footy body will move any better than last year, in 2020 he will only be a goal a game, way below his great years. Mitch will do better.

I largely agree 3B's. particularly re Wal. He is the general that makes the forward 1/2 work. With his natural leadership, and the fact he sets up, and or is a part of most scoring chains. He can virtually always be relied on to contribute 1 or more goals personally, and be involved in many of the others. All that aside, he is the best player on our list for creating space for himself, to provide an option and he sees the game unfolding well, and constantly uses his voice to guide his teammates. I often wonder if many posters on here, ever bother to watch the players, when not in direct possession of the ball.

The most experienced 22 we can field in Rd 1

average games = 107.4 : average age as of 20/03/2020 = 26y 10m 19d

T Duryea, Z Cordy, H Crozier
J Johannisen, E Wood, M Suckling
L Hunter, J Macrae, T McLean
S Lloyd, J Bruce, J Schache
T Dickson, A Naughton, B Dale
J Trengove, M Bontempelli, J Dunkley
M Wallis, T Liberatore, C Daniel, L Jong

Last edited:
FB: H Crozier Le Young E Wood
HB: C Daniel A Keath J Johannisen
C: M Suckling J Macrae L Hunter
HF: P Lipinski A Naughton S Lloyd
FF: J Schache J Bruce B Dale
R: T English M Bontempelli J Dunkley

I/C: B Smith, T Liberatore, E Richards, T Duryea

Emergency: M Wallis, T McLean, T Dickson, Z Cordy

Very tough gig picking this team, our depth is so solid!!

Favourite 22 so far of those listed, but man that other wing position is our one real weakness. Suckling is no wingman. If we had Brad Hill there we'd be equal premiership favourites.

I'd go with a very similar 22, but swapping B Smith with Suckling and seeing if he could bolster that wing position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go with a very similar 22, but swapping B Smith with Suckling and seeing if he could bolster that wing position.

You’re right, the wing is such a tough role to fill for our players.

As well as having good disposal, speed and endurance, wingers need to have good game sense to know when to run offensively and defensively and find the ball.

Perhaps baz would be a better choice (definitely has great game sens) but I feel his contested abilities are under utilised in a wing role and he’s more a burst speed player then a fast cruiser.

Richards fits the athletic qualities and foot skills but he seems a more instinctual player and lacks the IQ of a good winger.

Suckling has shown he’s capable down back or up forward + has a good pace and disposal but I didn’t really name him with too much confidence.

It’s a big question mark at the moment, if Hunter goes down with a long term injury it could turn into a really big problem

hard to pick but you can bet that after recruiting Keath to help our backline bet higher we won’t be playing just him as the only KPB. Bevs history would tell us Cordy is a lock as well as Daniel(which makes me sick) and most likely Suckling if fit.

ao the team I think will be pick isn’t the team I would pick which would be something like this

Wood Cordy Duryea
Crozier Keath JJ
Richards Bont Hunter
Lloyd Naughton Smith
McLean Bruce Greene
English McRae Dunks

Vandemeer Scache Libba Suckling/Dickson

I like the thought of Greene in a pocket. Think he could be a player.
Bailey Dale a bit stiff MD. I would have thought 20 goals in last 6 roster games might at least get him on the pine.

Wood, Keith, Duryea
JJ, Cordy, Crozier
Macrae, Libba, Hunter
LLoyd, Bruce, McLean
FP1, Naughton, FP2
English, Bont, Dunkley
Smith, Lipinkski, Daniel, Suckling

The forwards could be Schache if we want to go tall and he probably deserves a spot. Dale finished the year in fine form so has a strong case. Wallis at his best as a forward is very good so should also stake a claim. West with a second preseason into him should be pushing hard and may even take McLean's spot. Dickson's experience and nous still has a place and his finals series showed this. Weightman will play at some point I'd imagine.

Awesome spot to be in with quality players missing out in everyone's 22. Injuries will happen so it's great to have quality back up waiting in the wings. Trengove, Williams, Lynch, Richards, Young, Roarke and forgotten Jong are all capable players. Hayes and Lachie Young showed a bit, as did Greene a couple of years ago in his 5 matches. Hopefully Gowers isn't spotted again though, no not rate his almost marks and woeful kicking at goal.

I like the thought of Greene in a pocket. Think he could be a player.
Bailey Dale a bit stiff MD. I would have thought 20 goals in last 6 roster games might at least get him on the pine.

round one is simply a guessing game and I like Greene a lot

I think if he was for last year he plays before Dale but that’s just my opinion. Flip of the coin in the end but I see more in Greene than Dale.

Do we have depth?

The youngest 22 we can field (Oldest = R Smith, 23y 6m 9d @ 20/3/20)

R Garcia, Le Young, La Young
L Vandermeer, Z Cordy, B Lynch
E Richards, B Williams, P Lipinski
R Smith, J Schache, F Greene
C Weightman, A Naughton, R West
T English
, J Dunkley, B Smith
J Sweet, R Gardner, C Porter, L Butler
E: B Khamis

4 players cross over with our most experienced 22: J Dunkley, Z Cordy, J Schache & A Naughton

2. Does Suckling start? Polarising player - have to admit I was not a fan. Too many show pony kicks that opened us right up. But he has moved to become one of our most consistently good players and added clutch goals. I like him more as a forward but hard to keep off the bench. One of only 4 rated elite by champion data but not sure how well that takes into account errors - though much less now.

Suckling is one of Bevo's key Risk v Reward strategies. If he nails his "show pony" kicks he opens the other team up; if he misses he opens us up. Bevo is happy to back him in to nail it more often than not. When he is fit he will always be in the side.

Suckling being underrated/underappreciated on here always disappoints me. He is a firm best 22 player when he is up and running and the fact that people can't see it boggles me.
Same argument can be made for Wood, JJ, Crozier, Duryea, Cordy, Daniel, but realistically at least 1 of these or Suckling misses out (arguably 2).

Great problem for us to have.

Same argument can be made for Wood, JJ, Crozier, Duryea, Cordy, Daniel, but realistically at least 1 of these or Suckling misses out (arguably 2).

Great problem for us to have.
Did any of them miss out last year? I understand we now have Keath but Bevo loves Suckling. Barring injury he will 100% be in the round 1 side.

Did any of them miss out last year? I understand we now have Keath but Bevo loves Suckling. Barring injury he will 100% be in the round 1 side.

Except Suckling didn't start the year off in defence like the rest of that list. He was pushed forward and moved back when injuries opened up a spot. I don't see that spot forward free anymore so where does he go?

They were rarely all available. Duryea missed 9 games, Daniel 6, Suckling 4, JJ 3 and Crozier 1.

Wood and Cordy played taller roles than ideal at times, but with Lewy Young's late form and Keaths inclusion, this will no doubt be less required.

At times we also played Suckling forward due to lack of form options, but others shone through later in the year. For mine, a lot are now ahead of him for that role.

If all are fit come R1, competition for midsize defenders will be extreme this season. I reckon a good, best 22 player is likely to be squeezed out.

I am having issues with my best 22 so I have colour coded the list into four segments.

Segment 1: Definite (If fit) = 16 Players (Red)

Segment 2: Probable (If fit) = 9 Players (Blue)

Segment 3: Coaches Whim, so you're saying there's a chance (If fit) = 20 Players (Black)

Segment 4: Golden children (If fit) = 10 Players (Green) Chosen ones from Segment 1:

This proves beyond a doubt that I have four coloured pens, but not much else. Growth is the major issue I am
grappling with as well as the affect of structural change, does the added structure call for a different style of
game with less inside midfielders and more outside run. Is this change organic in that it will just happen with
the different players we bring in or is it forced by ruthlessness at the selection table. All will be revealed in
the fullness of time or will it ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back