Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I am having issues with my best 22 so I have colour coded the list into four segments.

Segment 1: Definite (If fit) = 16 Players (Red)

Segment 2: Probable (If fit) = 9 Players (Blue)

Segment 3: Coaches Whim, so you're saying there's a chance (If fit) = 20 Players (Black)

Segment 4: Golden children (If fit) = 10 Players (Green) Chosen ones from Segment 1:

This proves beyond a doubt that I have four coloured pens, but not much else. Growth is the major issue I am
grappling with as well as the affect of structural change, does the added structure call for a different style of
game with less inside midfielders and more outside run. Is this change organic in that it will just happen with
the different players we bring in or is it forced by ruthlessness at the selection table. All will be revealed in
the fullness of time or will it ?

I like the way you tell us what you are doing with your spreadsheets without any of us having any understanding of the structure of your spreadsheets

carry on....

I like the way you tell us what you are doing with your spreadsheets without any of us having any understanding of the structure of your spreadsheets

carry on....
spreadsheets or...

iu

???

carry on....
It's too much typing TTR, but basically searches for recruiting trends as well as tries to balance players coming
to the end like Suckling, Liberatore, Dickson etc. Also not many teams can boast a ball winning trio like we
can, but obviously that comes with challenges of balance. What Bruce and Keath do to the blend is also very
fascinating can it be subtle or will it be a huge change. Richards, Vandermeer, Butler and Garcia you get a
glimpse of where we could head, but the Hunter, Johannisen, Daniel and McLean types cloud the water a
little. The evolution of the new Bulldogs is really interesting and makes picking the best 22 difficult with an
eye to where the game may go.

Suckling being underrated/underappreciated on here always disappoints me. He is a firm best 22 player when he is up and running and the fact that people can't see it boggles me.
It doesn't necessarily mean a lot - but Suckling is one of only 4 players on our list calculated as being elite by Champion Data.
Bont, Macrae and Daniel being the others.

2019 Bulldogs (Games over 400 Possessions) :

Round 2: Versus Hawthorn (16-10-106) 428 Possessions @ 56.02% of total disposals.
Round 7: Versus Richmond (15-9-99) 440 Possessions @ 57.29% of total disposals.
Round 13: Versus Carlton (15-13-103) 402 Possessions @ 54.92% of total disposals.
Round 19: Versus Fremantle (16-17-117) 417 Possessions @ 55.38% of total disposals.
Round 21: Versus Essendon (21-11-137) 445 Possessions @ 58.17% of total disposals.
Round 23: Versus Adelaide (18-13-121) 413 Possessions @ 49.76% of total disposals.

We got to 400 in two other games, but lost both of those in round 11: Versus West Coast (10-12-72) and the
round 14: Versus Collingwood (10-13-73) note the almost identical scores. Not to cloud the facts we will only
deal with the glorious victories not focus on the games no one remembers.

The Players Who Played (In the six glorious victories and appearances):

Macrae: 6 Ranking( 1st, 7th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd ).
Hunter: 6 Ranking( 2nd, 13th, 8th, 3rd, 3rd, 6th ).
Bontempelli: 6 Ranking( 4th, 4th, 7th, 1st, 6th, 1st ).
Crozier: 6 Ranking( 10th, 5th, 14th, 10th, 13th, 13th ).
English: 6 Ranking( 12th, 9th, 5th, 16th, 7th, 8th ).
Dunkley: 6 Ranking( 13th, 1st, 1st, 13th, 2nd, 4th ).
Lloyd: 6 Ranking( 15th, 6th, 9th, 6th, 18th, 15th ).
Naughton: 6 Ranking( 17th, 3rd, 12th, 4th, 12th, 17th ).
Cordy: 6 Ranking( 18th, 19th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 22nd ).
Wood: 6 Ranking( 20th, 18th, 13th, 20th, 21st, 21st ).
B. Smith: 6 Ranking( 21st, 10th, 17th, 5th, 11th, 9th ).

Johannisen: 5 Ranking( 11th, 10th, 8th, 16th, 5th ).
McLean: 5 Ranking( 11th, 8th, 11th, 4th, 20th ).
Dickson: 5 Ranking( 6th, 20th, 15th, 14th, 17th ).
Richards: 5 Ranking( 22nd, 15th, 17th, 20th, 19th ).

Daniel: 4 Ranking( 8th, 2nd, 4th, 9th ).
Suckling: 4 Ranking( 3rd, 6th, 14th, 2nd ).
Liberatore: 4 Ranking( 5th, 21st, 20th, 15th ).
Dale: 4 Ranking( 21st, 7th, 8th, 7th ).
Trengove: 4 Ranking( 16th, 18th, 18th, 19th ).
Duryea: 4 Ranking( 14th, 11th, 10th, 11th ).
Lipinski: 4 Ranking( 3rd, 12th, 9th, 10th ).

Schache: 3 Ranking( 9th, 15th, 12th ).
Hayes: 3 Ranking( 17th, 5th, 14th ).

Gowers: 2 Ranking( 16th, 22nd ).
Wallis: 2 Ranking( 7th, 12th ).
West: 2 Ranking( 19th, 18th ).
Le. Young: 2 Ranking( 19th, 16th ).

La. Young: 1 Ranking( 14th ).
Williams: 1 Ranking( 16th ).
Gardner: 1 Ranking( 22nd ).
Morris: 1 Ranking( 22nd ).

Is there a hidden meaning to this post ? Is there a correlation with an opponents defensive integrity that i
may have smoothed over by ignoring the losses to West Coast and Collingwood the second time ? Did i
avoid listing the opponents possessions and only listed the % of total disposals on purpose ? You are only
as good as your last game and unfortunately we could only manage 319 Possessions and (8-7-55) in our
last game, obviously I am a less possession more impact kind of guy, but this is sadly a throw back to a
time in our past where football was not as defensively orientated.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A team I'd like to see, not one I expect.

B: Crozier Keath Wood
HB: Suckling Cordy Johannisen
C: Hunter Liberatore Macrae
HF: Wallis Schache McLean
F: Dickson Bruce Dale
R: English Bontempelli Dunkley
Int: Lloyd Daniel Williams Smith
E: Trengove Lipinski Duryea Gowers

Assuming: Naughton delayed start to season.

Preference for Caleb Daniel to play mid/forward not back.

Hey guys,

Supercoach question: with Libba being such a dominating inside, would be a waste to not put him into the middle. With that in mind, who out of Bont/Dunkley/Macrae would have their inside midfield minutes most affected compared to last year?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Supercoach question: with Libba being such a dominating inside, would be a waste to not put him into the middle. With that in mind, who out of Bont/Dunkley/Macrae would have their inside midfield minutes most affected compared to last year?

Thanks
Bonti - better having it fed out to him to provide silver service without getting his hands dirty

Early Prediction

Wood Cordy Crozier
JJ Keath Daniel
Mclean Bont Hunter
Baz Naughton Schache
Dale Bruce Lloyd
English Dunkley Macrae

Suckling Liberatore Lipinski Wallis

With Libba probably not being match fit, I’d swap in Dickson.

Reports from training session, over in the preseason thread, that Dickson isn't in good nick either. Absolutely love him (probably in my top 5 favourite players) but I get the feeling he will have a fair few names ahead of his in line for the 22.

I wasn't aware Libba wasn't going to be fit, what's his issue?
I suppose if he's not up for it then maybe any of West, Weightman, Williams, Will Hayes.

Reports from training session, over in the preseason thread, that Dickson isn't in good nick either. Absolutely love him (probably in my top 5 favourite players) but I get the feeling he will have a fair few names ahead of his in line for the 22.

I wasn't aware Libba wasn't going to be fit, what's his issue?
I suppose if he's not up for it then maybe any of West, Weightman, Williams, Will Hayes.
Add Cavarra in that.

Hayes, Cavarra and Weightman all sound like they'll be pushing for spots Round 1, so could see a few changes from our finals side of last year.

Lewis Young also seems like he's still not ready, while Lachie Young could very well be ready for consistent AFL time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back