FOOTSCRAY

La.Young Trengove Cordy
Suckling Khamis Vandermeer
Richards Williams Hayes
Lynch. Gowers R.Smith
Cavarra Dickson Greene

Sweet Wallis Jong

Porter Draftees

Reckon Lewis Young will be the main man down back with another preseason under his belt. Keath is the perfect addition, with Wood and Crozier as versatile strong overhead midsizers.

Good flanker depth but JJ and Daniel are gonna be the match committees option A. I'm supportive of that

Mids pick themselves.

I think we can squeeze 3 talls into the forward line, with Bruce deep, Naughton and Schache roaming I can see Schache playing almost as a link man/pseudo winger. He'll be a prick of a match up, turning back into the forward 50 Really curious to see the exact role Bevo comes up with, he can be a massive point of difference

Would love to see either Cavarra or Greene force a spot in the 22 for balance, but can't find a spot on exposed form

Libba must be in the 22.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
FB: Wood Le. Young Daniel
HB: JJ Keath Crozier
C: Lloyd Bont Hunter
HF: Lipinski Naughton Schache
FF: McLean Bruce Dale
R: English Macrae Dunks
I/C: Libba B. Smith Duryea Richards

Don't think there's anything reason to have a third tall in Cordy when Wood was looking great as that towards the end of the year. If he has another form drop I wouldn't drop him but I'd add in Cordy and move JJ to the wing.

Speaking of the wing that's the big question mark for 2020. Lloyd ended his time at Richmond there and his ability to run all day makes him suited, but he still remains our best forward. I'd have a high rotation of him, Dale, Richards and Smith. Lloyd and Dale especially need to spend time close to goal but unless Richards can take a big step forward with his tank I think it's necessary. McLean maybe will do it occasionally but I think we need a ground level forward and he's the best we've got right now.

Young and Trengove are even for me but whenever that happens I think we usually go with the younger option.

Glad I could keep the high half forward theme even with the three talls. Lipinski is outstanding in this role.

Suckling is the big name missing out. At the start of last year he couldn't even get a spot at half back until injuries opened it up. I don't see how he gets a go there with everyone available, or how he gets a go at half forward with more natural options there.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB: Easton Wood - Lewis Young - Jason Johannisen
HB: Hayden Crozier - Alex Keath - Taylor Duryea

C: Bailey Smith - Marcus Bontempelli - Lachie Hunter

HF: Sam Lloyd - Aaron Naughton - Josh Schache
FF: Bailey Dale - Josh Bruce - Toby McLean

R: Tim English - Jack Macrae - Josh Dunkley

I/C: Patrick Lipinski - Caleb Daniel - Tom Liberatore - Matt Suckling

Main depth: Ed Richards, Mitch Wallis, Jackson Trengove, Rhylee West, Zaine Cordy, Tory Dickson, Bailey Williams, Pick 13

Seriously feels wrong leaving Richards, Cordy, Trengove and Dickson out of the side, but I just don't know where they fit. The main spots that I can see fluctuating throughout the year are Duryea, Liberatore and Suckling (all at risk of injury). Jackson Trengove may also get Young's spot for the first part of the year

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
geez. Our forward line has gone from potentially the worst in the league not long ago to potentially the best in the league not long from now.

with a continued influx of mandatory draftees and minimal retirements, some previously established players will just have to explore other options I think. Cant see us wanting for points next year....

Footscray is going to kill it....

Dailey Bale

Draftee
Oct 18, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Duryea, Trengove, Cordy

HB: Crozier, Keath, Wood

C: Hunter, Bont, JJ

HF:McClean, Naughton, Schache

F: Lloyd, Bruce, Dale

R: English, Dunkley, Macrae

I: Daniel, B. Smith, Suckling, Wallis

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Wood, Trengove, Crozier
HB: JJ, Keath, Daniel
C: Suckling, Macrae, Hunter
HF: Maclean, Naughton, Lipinski
FF: Lloyd, Bruce, Dickson
R: English, Bont, Dunkley
Int: Schache, Duryea, B.Smith, Libba

Emerg: Wallis, Young, Cordy, Dale

Would like to see Suckling given the role on the wing. Still has a bit of toe, and his kicking is obviously a strength. His ability to cover ground and to play as an extra defender is underrated as well.

Can't see all of Naughton, Bruce, Lloyd, Schache, Dickson and Dale playing. I've left out Dale and gone with Dickson as he is probably the quickest and best defensively of those players. Big call, but I can see Lloyd and Dickson both out of the best 22 by years end, with a huge need to inject a pacy small forward to play at the feet of the talls.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Easton Wood, Lewis Young, Zaine Cordy
HB: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier.

C: Lachie Hunter, Jackson Macrae, Jason Johannisen.
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley

HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Josh Schache.
F: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Patrick Lipinski

I/C: Bailey Smith, Bailey Williams, Toby McLean, Caleb Daniel.

Schache and Naughton are great below the knees and mobile, not worried about the height. Also can change Schache with Caleb Daniel off the bench to * up the matchups. Bench full of quick, skilled versatile types.

A team that is truly work a triple Baileys, thank you.

Last edited:

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood Young Crozier
Daniel Keath JJ
Hunter Macrae Lipinski
Schache Naughton Wallis
Dale Bruce West
English Bont Dunkley
IC: Richards, Libba, McLean, Smith

Generation West

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Wood Young Crozier
HB: Daniel Keath JJ
C: Hunter Bont Williams
HF: Schache Naughton Lloyd
F: Dale Bruce Cavarra
R: English Dunkley Macrae
I/C: Cordy Libba Smith Lipinski

Depth: McLean Richards Dickson West Wallis Trengrove Suckling Duryea

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our depth is nuts. Terribly hard to find places for Wallis, Libba, Dickson, Trengove, Richards, Duryea, Hayes and West. This time last year, all of these would be best 22, 9 posts out of 10

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What was great in our premiership year was how strong the Footscray side was.

So if the AFL Team is something like:

Dale Bruce Dickson
Lloyd Naughty Wallis

Hunter Macrae Smith
English Bont Dunkley

JJ Keath Wood
Crozier Trengrove Cordy

Libba Schache Daniel McLean

Then VFL would be:

Cavarro Gardiner Fergus
Lipinski Gowers suckling

Sweet Jong West
Vandermeer Williams Richards

Khamis Young Smith
la.young ROBERTS Duryea

Webb, Porter, Lynch and/or 3 draft picks

So plenty who are unlucky not to play AFL - which is exactly what we want.

For this year the minimum we can take is one - the max depends on who we delist. I think we should look at at least two if not three draft picks and maybe a small forward - Gray perhaps but he must replace Dickson or Wallis to add to us - otherwise get a kid who has potential.

In the future we look set.

So short a tall forward (JUH), a tall defender if we lose Fletch (Stephens) and a small forward (Macpherson/Scott) - outside Speed if we let Lynch go could be filled by a draft pick or by young Kellet this year?

All in all looks pretty good

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Dale Bruce Dickson
Lloyd Naughty Wallis

Hunter Macrae Smith
English Bont Dunkley

JJ Keath Wood
Crozier Trengrove Cordy

Then VFL would be:

Cavarro Gardiner Fergus
Lipinski Gowers suckling

Sweet Jong West

Khamis Young Smith
la.young ROBERTS Duryea

For this year the minimum we can take is one - the max depends on who we delist. I think we should look at at least two if not three draft picks and maybe a small forward - Gray perhaps but he must replace Dickson or Wallis to add to us - otherwise get a kid who has potential.

So short a tall forward (JUH), a tall defender if we lose Fletch (Stephens) and a small forward (Macpherson/Scott) - outside Speed if we let Lynch go could be filled by a draft pick or by young Kellet this year?

Bugger - forgot Hayes!!!

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most people have JJ in their side. Is this based on what he did in 2019 or based on memories of his form in previous years and a hope he gets that form and level of involvement back? I get that we need pace but if he is not getting the ball you are just picking on hope. ( says me who has Williams in on potential )😁

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most people have JJ in their side. Is this based on what he did in 2019 or based on memories of his form in previous years and a hope he gets that form and level of involvement back? I get that we need pace but if he is not getting the ball you are just picking on hope. ( says me who has Williams in on potential )😁

I think Daniel and JJ are fighting for the same spot - particularly if Bevo starts playing Suckling on a wing/high half forward like he did at various stages last year.

That half forward spot belongs to Lipinski until one of West or Dickson pushes him out.

For mine:

B: Wood Cordy Crozier
HB: Daniel Keath Young
C: Hunter Bont Lipinski
HF: Schache Naughton Lloyd
F: Dale Bruce McLean
R: English Dunkley Macrae
I/C: Williams JJ Smith West

Emergency: Wallis and Libba

If Naughton doesn't get a preseason because of his knee, then Schache is a lock. Same with Keath who has recently had surgery. We could rely on the intercept marking power of Young, Wood and Crozier and add Suckling.

I'm sorry, but Trengove doesn't get back in. Too slow and butchers the ball too often. I think with another preseason Schache becomes a better pinch hitter in the ruck. He was added to the list out of need at the time, but no longer required.

I picked him based on his 2019 form where he finished 4th in our Best and Fairest (only behind our big 3 midfielders)

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I rate your team going into 2020.
I know you guys want a Small Forward with Pick 13, but I reckon W Gould would be massive for your defence.
Add Keath and Gould, and that defence gets a lot tougher and tighter, which is what wins flags.

You can pinch decent Small Forwards late in the draft, Josh D'Intinosante for example this year. Way under wraps for a 2 goal small forward that provides pressure, kicks goals, etc etc.

Feb 10, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I rate your team going into 2020.
I know you guys want a Small Forward with Pick 13, but I reckon W Gould would be massive for your defence.
Add Keath and Gould, and that defence gets a lot tougher and tighter, which is what wins flags.

You can pinch decent Small Forwards late in the draft, Josh D'Intinosante for example this year. Way under wraps for a 2 goal small forward that provides pressure, kicks goals, etc etc.

agreed I think Gould might be a big reason why we were so desperate to hold on to pick 13.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I picked him based on his 2019 form where he finished 4th in our Best and Fairest (only behind our big 3 midfielders)

A high finish in the B&F is a good indication of a player having a good year given the votes are given by the coaches who know exactly the roles assigned. My disappointment with JJ , as a senior player imo, was that, in a team lacking senior players he didn't provide the leadership or influence I expected and believe he is capable of. The coaches saw it differently obviously. It would seem my invitation onto the MC will be delayed yet again.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Daniel and JJ are fighting for the same spot - particularly if Bevo starts playing Suckling on a wing/high half forward
Given our coaches voted the top 5 in our b&f last year as Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, JJ and Daniel, I can't see the match committee leaving either JJ or Daniel out of our best 22 unless their preseason form falls off a cliff

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Dale Bruce Dickson
Lloyd Naughty Wallis

Hunter Macrae Smith
English Bont Dunkley

JJ Keath Wood
Crozier Trengrove Cordy

Then VFL would be:

Cavarro Gardiner Fergus
Lipinski Gowers suckling

Sweet Jong West

Khamis Young Smith
la.young ROBERTS Duryea

I don't see any circumstance barring injuries where bevo would play a backline with all of Cordy, Keath, Trengove and Wood. Simply too slow.

WBD76

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Backs: Hayden Crozier Alex Keath Easton Wood
Half Backs: Jason Johanissen Lewis Young Zaine Cordy
Centres: Patrick Lipinksi Marcus Bontempelli Lachie Hunter
Followers: Tim English Josh Dunkley Jack McRae
Half Forwards: Bailey Dale Aaron Naughton Sam Lloyd
Forwards: Toby Mclean Josh Bruce Tory Dickson
Interchange: Bailey Williams Josh Schache Rylee West
Bailey Smith

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Backs: Hayden Crozier Alex Keath Easton Wood
Half Backs: Jason Johanissen Lewis Young Zaine Cordy
Centres: Patrick Lipinksi Marcus Bontempelli Lachie Hunter
Followers: Tim English Josh Dunkley Jack McRae
Half Forwards: Bailey Dale Aaron Naughton Sam Lloyd
Forwards: Toby Mclean Josh Bruce Tory Dickson
Interchange: Bailey Williams Josh Schache Rylee West
Bailey Smith

Pretty much the team I'd pick but I'd have Caleb Daniel in Lewis Young's spot. I don't like the tall defensive setup. Prefer the extra rebound you get with Daniel. I'd also probably pick Duryea over Smith on the interchange for now.

WBD76

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty much the team I'd pick but I'd have Caleb Daniel in Lewis Young's spot. I don't like the tall defensive setup. Prefer the extra rebound you get with Daniel. I'd also probably pick Duryea over Smith on the interchange for now.
When I thought about the defence, I kept thinking about the first Carlton game this year when we were hopelessly under-sized :rolleyes: . I guess it depends on the match-ups on game day.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
FB: Wood, Le.Young, Crozier
HB: Cordy, Keath, Suckling
C: Hunter, Macrae, Johannisen
HF: Lloyd, Naughton, Dale
FF: McLean, Bruce, Wallis
Foll: English, Bontempelli, Dunkley
I/C: Liberatore, Daniel, Lipinski, Duryea

Emergencies: Trengove, Schache, Williams, Dickson

I'm relegating Richards to VFL unless he burns it up in the pre-season. Think it would do him no harm to get some leather poisoning at the lower level for a while, we might get similar improvement to what Lipinski gave us after a stint in the VFL in early 2019.

Back