Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree and think its a good move may take a little time to come together though
Goals will be kicked on the turnover especially in early rounds but if we can lock the ball inside 50 we will have that backline locked down

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Goals will be kicked on the turnover especially in early rounds but if we can lock the ball inside 50 we will have that backline locked down
Thats usually our game plan , we will kick a lot more goals with bruce up forward, our forward line seems so much more dangerous with him in it

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
So many posters have failed to include our premiership defender (yes i know he played as a CHF in the grand final) Zaine Cordy not only on the feild but not in the team period.

This baffles me.

It really does make me wonder what you all see when you watch a game of football.
What is the problem with Cordy?

Now that Keath is in the team Cordy doesn't have to play on the biggest FWD every week and will be a better contributor and overall player as a result.
He is very good at the things that aren't always on the stats sheet and i think that gets lost sometimes especially with supercoach and the like.

Cordy was already playing on the second tall, Trengove and Young took the biggest. Keath played third at Adelaide but I think plays on the second best forward with us. I just don't see us playing three talll defenders. Wood and Crozier already cover that role and I can't think of any times off the top of my head where I've thought in the past year 'that third tall is causing us trouble'. A lot of our play is built on rebounding from defence so if it comes down to cutting Cordy or a rebounding defender I'm cutting Cordy.

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood - Keath - Crozier
JJ - Cordy - Daniel
Hunter - Macrae - Smith
Schache - Naughton - McLean
Dale - Bruce - Lloyd
English - Dunkley - Bontempelli

Liber - Duryea - Suckling - Richards

I’m keen for us to use Liber like Richmond do with Cotchin and Collingwood has done with Pendles. As an accountable mid. Have him on your a grade mids. Like he did on Merrett 2017.

theBigB

Debutant
Nov 5, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only potential draftee I could see being in the best 22 next year is Weightman, but it looks like he will be gone before our pick.

Crozier - Trengove - Wood
Johannisen - Keath - Duryea
Hayes - Dunkley - Hunter
Lipinski - Naughton - Wallis
Lloyd - Bruce - Dale
English - Bontempelli - Macrae

B.Smith - Suckling - Daniel - Liberatore

• Williams unlucky, as he was all of 2019. Maybe takes Suckling's spot during the year.
  • Cordy has work to do. I think Keath is a better version of him, and Trengove offers more utility and aerial prowess.
  • McLean has work to do. Didn't adapt to his forward role well this year, only averaging 0.7 goals. No room to be a full-time midfielder.
  • Richards had second year blues, needs to earn his spot now imo.
  • Liberatore barely gets in. Had a bit of an on-off injury plagued year, and can only play inside midfield. Bont, Macrae and Dunkley are already arguably the best midfield in the competition.
  • Wallis is underrated. Has more utility than Liberatore, and proved he can play forward well in 2018. If he stays injury-free, I think he gets a spot ahead of Dicko.
  • Schache has work to do. Finished the year pretty well, but was still dropped for 10 games, and doesn't stick his marks reliably.
  • Hayes is underrated. Maybe not the most glamorous player, but complements our team balance well with his outside running game. Someone like Liberatore couldn't play the role Hayes played towards the end of last year. I think he has improvement left in him too.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only potential draftee I could see being in the best 22 next year is Weightman, but it looks like he will be gone before our pick.

Hayes - Dunkley - Hunter
Lloyd - Bruce - Dale

• Williams unlucky, as he was all of 2019. Maybe takes Suckling's spot during the year.
  • Cordy has work to do. I think Keath is a better version of him, and Trengove offers more utility and aerial prowess.
  • McLean has work to do. Didn't adapt to his forward role well this year, only averaging 0.7 goals. No room to be a full-time midfielder.
  • Liberatore barely gets in. Had a bit of an on-off injury plagued year, and can only play inside midfield. Bont, Macrae and Dunkley are already arguably the best midfield in the competition.
  • Wallis is underrated. Has more utility than Liberatore, and proved he can play forward well in 2018. If he stays injury-free, I think he gets a spot ahead of Dicko.
  • Schache has work to do. Finished the year pretty well, but was still dropped for 10 games, and doesn't stick his marks reliably.
  • Hayes is underrated. Maybe not the most glamorous player, but complements our team balance well with his outside running game. Someone like Liberatore couldn't play the role Hayes played towards the end of last year. I think he has improvement left in him too.
Where do you see Weightman going before pick 13?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Hayes - Dunkley - Hunter
Lloyd - Bruce - Dale

r u Hayes?

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Hayes - Dunkley - Hunter
Lloyd - Bruce - Dale

Cannot believe you left McLean out of our best 22, yet included Hayes.

Watch this highlights package and look for the long 50m passing to advantage that McLean delivers multiple times. We need more players who can deliver like that deep into our forward line, not less.

theBigB

Debutant
Nov 5, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cannot believe you left McLean out of our best 22, yet included Hayes.

Watch this highlights package and look for the long 50m passing to advantage that McLean delivers multiple times. We need more players who can deliver like that deep into our forward line, not less.

Not everyone is going to share the same opinion as you. No 3 minute Bont highlights package is going to change my mind either, because naturally it doesn't address the lowlights.

Averages 15.6 disposals and 0.7 goals. Not enough of the ball for a midfielder, not enough goals for a forward. Hayes' stats aren't much to write home about either, but he plays a different role, doing most of his work on the outside. McLean is not an optimal outside player.

McLean should be competing with Liberatore and Wallis for a spot, not the Hunter/Hayes types.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Utility: (noun)

1: The quality of being useful.

2: A government owned organization that provides basic needs, water, gas, electricity etc.

3: A motor vehicle with a tray at the back used for carrying medium sized loads.

From the (Latin) utilis, useful.

theBigB

Debutant
Nov 5, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Utility: (noun)

1: The quality of being useful.

2: A government owned organization that provides basic needs, water, gas, electricity etc.

3: A motor vehicle with a tray at the back used for carrying medium sized loads.

From the (Latin) utilis, useful.
You don't know what utility means in AFL-related context?

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Wood Young Duryea
Crozier Keith JJ
Hunter Dunkley Macrae
Daniel Naughten Lloyd
Richards Bruce Dale
English Bont Smith
Lippa Schache McLean Dickson

Richards makes the side for pace in the forward half. Cordy misses his one on one is terrible. Yet will be good for him to fight for a spot next year. Daniel to the forward line to deliver so lace outs. Staying fit and confident that’s a decent team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You don't know what utility means in AFL-related context?
More useful ? Trengove is more useful than Cordy, Wallis is more useful than Liberatore. It just got me thinking
how many unique AFL words there are and when or who started using them.

It's offseason and the iron curtain that has descended on Whitten Oval gives us little else to talk about.

More useful ? Trengove is more useful than Cordy, Wallis is more useful than Liberatore. It just got me thinking
how many unique AFL words there are and when or who started using them.

It's offseason and the iron curtain that has descended on Whitten Oval gives us little else to talk about.
Multi positional?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Duryea. Cordy. Wood
Crozier Keath. JJ
Richards. Dunkley Hunter
Smith. Naughts. McLean
Lloyd. Bruce. Greene
Timmy. Bont. McRae

Libba. Daniel. Young. Suckling

Last edited:

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Duryea. Cordy. Wood
Crozier Keath. JJ
Richards. Dunkley Hunter
Smith. Naughts. McLean
Lloyd. Bruce. Greene
Timmy. Bont. McRae

Can’t argue too much. I’d be going for Dickson instead of Greene, personally.

You get grief for being pessimistic, MD, but surely that team excites you.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Duryea. Cordy. Wood
Crozier Keath. JJ
Richards. Dunkley Hunter
Smith. Naughts. McLean
Lloyd. Bruce. Greene
Timmy. Bont. McRae

Not sure that Fergus will elevate himself to best 22 over the pre-season, but an interesting call. I think Schache will be ahead of him for selection, although different types of player.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can’t argue too much. I’d be going for Dickson instead of Greene, personally.
You get grief for being pessimistic, MD, but surely that team excites you.

I like Greene a lot and think Dickos body will fail him. Greene excites me far more than Lipinksi.

yeah it’s a good team that should do well and I predict 4th-7th finish

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think if we're naming a team for the long term, then it's very likely to feature Greene, but in terms of Round 1 I'd be banking on Dickson to be there in his place, barring injury. The interesting part to me is that we have a bit of a squeeze for midfield spots. I don't see how we fit in all of McLean, Wallis, Libba, Lipinski and Hayes. One of two of them could end up missing out in Round 1, and there's every chance that it's not Hayes missing out since he's likely to play on a wing.

Going to be next to impossible to predict our Round 1 side. I have no idea what will happen to Trengove, Greene, Libba, Hayes and Richards

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like Greene a lot and think Dickos body will fail him. Greene excites me far more than Lipinksi.

Is that the highest you've ever predicted us to finish?
Also I to like Greene alot and hope he has some luck with injuries and cements a spot in the 22

Where is MD and what have you done with him :oops::oops:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Where is MD and what have you done with him :oops::oops:

We finished 7th with a young list and have a fixture that gives us no excuses.

Adding Keath and Bruce and a hopefully fit Libba(for me he is still essential) should see us improve.

The lack of coaching changes still bothers me but I’d think a step backwards next year has to be seen as a failure so I see a slight improvement coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back