Prediction Best 22 Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It's odd that people are forgetting how decent Sharman is. Ratten was silly for not playing him forward as much. Clean mark and deadly kick for goal. Also very fast runner for his size (like membrey).
He's been picked in just about every side I've read in here.

I think just having he and Membrey as our 2 talls mean we lack a fair bit of presence up forward though. We need another option IMO.

Battle being a fair bit strong with a hard edge makes sense IMO.

I think just having he and Membrey as our 2 talls mean we lack a fair bit of presence up forward though. We need another option IMO.

Battle is a better player since he went back last year ( he's done it twice now , and it clicked for him both times ).
He wouldn't be the first player who is a better forward after playing in the backline.
Otherwise we have Wood, or a tallish mid ( Owens , Phillipou ) or a resting ruck. (Heath ? Eyre ?)

It's odd that people are forgetting how decent Sharman is. Ratten was silly for not playing him forward as much. Clean mark and deadly kick for goal. Also very fast runner for his size (like membrey).
Sharman has been impressive at training, chalk and cheese compared to last year.
He’s running very well & has put on some size.

Battle is a better player since he went back last year ( he's done it twice now , and it clicked for him both times ).
He wouldn't be the first player who is a better forward after playing in the backline.
Otherwise we have Wood, or a tallish mid ( Owens , Phillipou ) or a resting ruck. (Heath ? Eyre ?)
I’m tipping Mitch Owens is just as strong, if not stronger than battle!

Yeah Battle seems the best option out of those in my opinion.

Especially now we have Cordy who can play the same role in defence.

It may well be a silver lining if it turns out. If not, after a month when King returns he goes back to defence.

He's never really had a decent run of playing as a genuine forward with about being thrown onto a wing or in defence.

Wilkie Howard Pato
NWM Battle Sinclair
Hill Steele Dmac
Gresham Membrey Poo
Butler Sharman Higgins
Marshal Windy Ross

Crouch Billings Clark Bytel Wood -sub

Emergancies
Owens Webster Byrnes Cordy

Unavilable - Coff Campbell King Hotton

This. From a sturcture POV Hayes and King are big man forward targets that need a number 1 defender etc etc etc.

Sharman and Membrey arent, they are third talls (very very very good third talls).

Its a structure issue, no proper big man to centre the forward structure around just makes it all look weak.

I hope were good enough to do it totally differently, play small, overlap handball and use the smalls as pressure for deep entries or short hit ups. If we try to play like Membrey is King well get killed.

Yeah Battle seems the best option out of those in my opinion.

Especially now we have Cordy who can play the same role in defence.

It may well be a silver lining if it turns out. If not, after a month when King returns he goes back to defence.

He's never really had a decent run of playing as a genuine forward with about being thrown onto a wing or in defence.
He's also the best option to help Marshall in the ruck when needed. While he won't win hit outs, he at least has some size on him and a huge tank.

I remember an interview Battle did after being asked to ruck in the GWS game last year. He said he wasnt fond of it and hoped it wasnt a regular event.

I think with Hayes being out and with the extra player on the bench, we will play both Marshall & Campbell at least until Hayes returns.

We want to have Marshall available all year and it will be just too much to ask to ruck for large chunks of games against two ruckman. Hopefully Campbell can shake off his achillies issues and get himself fit and firing for the season.

It does highlight the significant holes in our list in both key forwards and versatile ruckman. Ive said this before but I was disappointed the club didnt go harder at Ratugolea or Weideman during the trade period.

Last edited:
This. From a sturcture POV Hayes and King are big man forward targets that need a number 1 defender etc etc etc.

Sharman and Membrey arent, they are third talls (very very very good third talls).

Its a structure issue, no proper big man to centre the forward structure around just makes it all look weak.

I hope were good enough to do it totally differently, play small, overlap handball and use the smalls as pressure for deep entries or short hit ups. If we try to play like Membrey is King well get killed.

Membrey can't sit under a high ball and win every contest but I like the idea of putting Membrey back into the forward line. I think we forget how good he and Bruce were as a one two punch forward set up. If you give Membrey any space he'll get hold of defences.

Those old school coaches are less prone to playing good forwards as s**t mids or high half forwards. Jake Stringer is getting sent back to the forward line where he should have been for the last 4 years and he'll be a good forward again instead of an inconsistent impact player.

He's also the best option to help Marshall in the ruck when needed. While he won't win hit outs, he at least has some size on him and a huge tank.

His best game ever was as a fill in ruckman.

Membrey can't sit under a high ball and win every contest but I like the idea of putting Membrey back into the forward line. I think we forget how good he and Bruce were as a one two punch forward set up. If you give Membrey any space he'll get hold of defences.

Those old school coaches are less prone to playing good forwards as s**t mids or high half forwards. Jake Stringer is getting sent back to the forward line where he should have been for the last 4 years and he'll be a good forward again instead of an inconsistent impact player.
Yeh i agree with that but that also was reliant on Bruce being the big guy.

Ultimately to me both Membrey and Coops look like really good Third (or second i guess) tall forwards.

I think both are best suited to being Third (imagine Membrey on the third tall defender, hell kick 70 goals ffs) but Membrey is good enough to be a second. Not a first though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh i agree with that but that also was reliant on Bruce being the big guy.

Ultimately to me both Membrey and Coops look like really good Third (or second i guess) tall forwards.

I think both are best suited to being Third (imagine Membrey on the third tall defender, hell kick 70 goals ffs) but Membrey is good enough to be a second. Not a first though.

I think he could. Milne had a couple of years as a mini full forward. Might have to change up our delivery.

If we are aiming to be a fast running and disposal side, Who do you think has elite/good/bad/Dunstan levels of disposal ability and skills and can also run?

Jones - great speed and coverage / terrible disposal
Gresham - great speed and coverage / terrible disposal unless having a shot

Connelly - ? speed and coverage / elite disposal choice and delivery
NWM - good speed and coverage? / elite disposal choice and delivery

Sinclair elite speed and coverage / elite disposal choice and delivery
Howard .... punches well....

Any thoughts???

Jones is a good disposer of the ball bursting from a clearance. When he has to chip the ball around and isn't running at near full pace, he is poor. Gresham disposal can be hit and miss. I thought NWM regressed disposal quality wise through the season. Sinclair is elite.

To a certain extent, the game plan has to accommodate who you have at your disposal (no pun intended). Richmond did this the best.

I think he could. Milne had a couple of years as a mini full forward. Might have to change up our delivery.
Which is what i said previously.

Wed have to change our delivery.

2018 : A crap year.
Leading goal kickers

Gresham 35 goals from 22 games.
Membrey 34 goals from 20 games.
Newnes 18 goals from 22 games. ( 18 from 15 as a forward ).
Lonie 16 goals from 11 games
Billings 14 goals from 21 games.
Steven 13 goals from 22 games.
McCartin 12 goals from 13 games.
Armitage 8 goals from 15 games.
Steele 7 goals from 21 games.
Long 7 goals from 10 games.
Battle 7 goals from 6 games.

R1 : Paddy, Membrey, Bruce(r) , Gresham , Long , Acres? // Longer. 16 goals, won. ( Lions )
R2 : Paddy , Membrey, Bruce (r) , Gresham, Long, Acres(r)? // Longer 5 goals , smacked. ( North). ( no goals to Bruce or Membrey or Paddy )
R3: Paddy , Bruce (r) , Gresham, Long, Acres(r)? and ????? // Marshall 7 goals, smacked by the Crows.
Bruce out for the Season.
R4: Paddy, Marshall(r) Acres, Gresham, Long, Lonie // Hickey. 7 goals, smacked by Geelong.
R5: Paddy(3), Membrey, Acres (r), Gresham, Weller, Long // Hickey. 10 goals, GWS draw.
R6: Paddy , Membrey, Acres (r) Gresham, Weller , Long // Hickey. 7 goals, lost to Hawks.
R7: Paddy , Membrey, Marshall(r), Gresham, Weller , Long // Hickey. 9 goals, spanked by Melbourne.
R8: Membrey, Marshall(r), Acres, Gresham ,Weller , Newnes // Hickey. 8 goals, beaten by Fremantle.
R9: Membrey, Marshall(r) , Newnes (4g), Gresham, Weller, Lonie // Hickey. 10 goals, beaten by Collingwood.
R10: McCartin(r), Membrey(r), Newnes , Gresham, Lonie ????// Hickey 12 goals, beaten by Richmond.
R11: McCartin, Membrey( 6 g) , Marshall(r), Gresham, Weller, Newnes?// Hickey 14 goals, beaten by West Coast.
R12: McCartin(r) , Membrey(r), Battle(2), Gresham, Weller , Newnes. Lonie //Hickey 7 Goals SMASHED by Sydney.
R13: McCartin (r) , Membrey(r), Battle(3), Gresham, Weller, Newnes. // Longer 11 Goals, won against Suns.
R15: McCartin , Membrey(4), Battle (r) , Gresham, Weller, Newnes //Longer 18 Goals, won against Melbourne.
R16: McCartin, Membrey, Battle ( injured early ) Gresham, Weller, Newnes. // Longer. 7 goals, lost to Port.
Farewell Paddy. End of the year for Billy.
R17: Membrey (3), Hickey, Newnes, Gresham, Weller (1), Lonie //Marshall( 2 goals). 16 goals, annihilated Carlton. Season declared a success.
R18: Membrey, Marshall, Battle, Gresham, Weller, Lonie // Hickey 8 goals, smacked by Tigers.
R19: Membrey, Marshall, Battle, Gresham, Weller, Lonie //Hickey 8 goals, lost to GWS.
R20: Membrey, Battle( injured early), Acres? , Gresham, Lonie. ??? // Hickey 9 goals, lost to Bulldogs.
R21: Membrey, Marshall, Acres, Gresham, Lonie, Long. // Pierce 11 goals, lost to Essendon.
R22: Membrey, Marshall, Acres, Gresham, Lonie, Long // Pierce 11 goals, lost to Hawks.
R23: Membrey, Marshall, Acres, Gresham, Lonie , Long // Pierce 17 goals, Beat Norfs.

So...Membrey seems to go better if he has talls around, taking up some of the defense.
We win more with Longer in the team clearly the better ruck.
I'm pretty happy with the options we have in 2023, it could be worse, it has been worse.

February update, Round 1 Team:

B. Paton Howard Wilkie-(kicking out)

H.B. Coffield Battle Stocker

C. Hill Jones Owens

H.F. Butler Membrey Wood

F. Gresham Sharman Higgins

Foll. Marshall Steele Sinclair

I/C. Crouch, McKenzie, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Cordy-sub

Emerg. Bytel, Phillipou, Ross

Last edited:
Only ruling King and Hayes out of Round 1 at this stage and blooding Phillipou. My team as follows:

FB: Wilkie Howard Coffield
HB: NWM Battle Sinclair
C: Hill Steele Clark
HF: Gresham Membrey Higgins
FF: Butler Owens Phillipou
R: Marshall Crouch Hindhager

IN: Billings Ross Wood Dmac
SUB: Pato

EM: Sharman Webster Byrnes Cordy

I remember an interview Battle did after being asked to ruck in the GWS game last year. He said he wasnt fond of it and hoped it wasnt a regular event.

I think with Hayes being out and with the extra player on the bench, we will play both Marshall & Campbell at least until Hayes returns.

We want to have Marshall available all year and it will be just too much to ask to ruck for large chunks of games against two ruckman. Hopefully Campbell can shake off his achillies issues and get himself fit and firing for the season.

It does highlight the significant holes in our list in both key forwards and versatile ruckman. Ive said this before but I was disappointed the club didnt go harder at Ratugolea or Weideman during the trade period.
Ratugolea would’ve been great but Geelong had him under contract & stood firm..no to Weideman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back