Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Paton - Cordy - Wilkie
HB: Battle - Howard - Sinclair
C: Hill - Steele - McKenzie
HF: Billings - Sharman - Gresham
FF: Butler - Membrey - Higgins
R: Marshall - Crouch - Ross
I: Jones - Coffield - Phillipou - Windhager - Campbell/Hayes*

Forward structure is going to have to play smaller with King out. We don't have a true KPF option to replace him so would prefer to change the structure/plan instead of trying to cover the cracks with a ruck or KPD swung forward.

Defence looks pretty settled. Cordy or Van Es at FB allows Howard to get up the ground and be more attacking. His best work for us was when Nath Brown or Jake Carlisle were in the team on the last line. I didn't like his role last year, despite the team defence being much better under Enright.

Tommy Campbell to back up Marshall until Hayes is fit.

Bench will be interesting - Jimmy Webster stiff but I cant see him and Paton both playing. With the extra tall coming in Wilkie gets back to playing on more midsize options which pushes JWeb out.

Owens, Clark, Wood, Wanganeen-Milera all viable options. Highmore had a huge year in the VFL. Could see him becoming a Ross Lyon favourite ala Sammy Gilbert but I'm not sure who comes out. Lenny Hayes is apparently very keen on Jack Bytel as well.

Much like 2007, I think it'll take 12 months for Ross to sort through the list and really put his stamp on things. King out is a huge blow though. Finals would be a bonus but missing one of our 2 most important players for 7-10 weeks is too much at the moment.

If we can stop the random beltings and get a consistent effort week to week then I think we can finish in that 8-11 range and look to launch into the top 4-6 in 2024.
If we continue with the Steele, Crouch & Ross preferred centre bounce set up we’re going nowhere!!

If we continue with the Steele, Crouch & Ross preferred centre bounce set up we’re going nowhere!!

I don't think where mids are named is really reflective of their status in the team. They move on and off the bench, to the wing, the flanks etc so often that it doesn't really matter.

Swap him out for Windhager and it's still the same team and premise.

Crouch has been a great pick up IMO. Wins his own footy, links up well, lays tackles, sets up and kicks goals. Deserves first crack inside to help free Steele up to play more forward.

Where the real change in the comp needs to happen is naming the ruck in the centre to show the true spine of a team.

C: Hill - Marshall - McKenzie
HF: Billings - King - Gresham
*OB: Steele - Crouch - Windhager

*OB = On Ball

I don't think where mids are named is really reflective of their status in the team. They move on and off the bench, to the wing, the flanks etc so often that it doesn't really matter.

Swap him out for Windhager and it's still the same team and premise.

Crouch has been a great pick up IMO. Wins his own footy, links up well, lays tackles, sets up and kicks goals. Deserves first crack inside to help free Steele up to play more forward.

Where the real change in the comp needs to happen is naming the ruck in the centre to show the true spine of a team.

C: Hill - Marshall - McKenzie
HF: Billings - King - Gresham
*OB: Steele - Crouch - Windhager

*OB = On Ball

Judge Thats Disgusting GIF by Hot Bench

I'd love to know what Ross Lyon thinks of Seb Ross, I know I'll never find out definitively, but I want to know his thoughts.
Great question. My thoughts are that supporters have never rated Seb as much as coaches have/do. Bloke has won a few b n f's and is vice captain I'm pretty sure. I think Lyon will play him to begin with and see what happens after that (along with a few others). Interesting times!

Great question. My thoughts are that supporters have never rated Seb as much as coaches have/do. Bloke has won a few b n f's and is vice captain I'm pretty sure. I think Lyon will play him to begin with and see what happens after that (along with a few others). Interesting times!
Good call mate. I reckon he played a damned good season last year, at least the first 14 games. If he's the player I've been led to believe (coaches favourite, only running the gameplan etc) he should excel under Ross Lyon.

Think we need to play a genuine 2nd ruck.
I hate seeing a battle type rucking even if it’s for 5 minutes a qtr.

Best clearance player out of centre is Gresham..I’m referring to the 3 players as a collective..need at least one mid that offers a point of difference & those 3 are pretty bland compared to other midfields.

The star packed midfields had a bad year in 2022. Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong and even Richmond all had very meh midfields but good outside spread and played finals. We had plenty of mids with close to career best years and went nowhere. Carlton, Melbourne and the Dogs probably the best three midfields in the game and all had pretty poor years.

To me you need a couple of guys that can wi first use but a team game that isolates players and gives them space to move the ball out of traffic. Sydney did very well with that team work midfield game. Players would block space and open up play for different players, Geelong and Sydney were both very game plan orientated teams, it bodes well for Lyon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he played two rucks when everyone else was doing it ten years ago but I don’t think he went with it for his last few years. Ratten always overvalued it I hope Ross doesn’t do the same. You don’t play non AFL standard players just for five minutes of ruck relief a quarter.

I think he played two rucks when everyone else was doing it ten years ago but I don’t think he went with it for his last few years. Ratten always overvalued it I hope Ross doesn’t do the same. You don’t play non AFL standard players just for five minutes of ruck relief a quarter.

When we had 2 good rucks ie Gardiner and King, he played 2, when one was injured we played 1.

Tom Campbell is AFL standard, he's an AFL standard ruck not key forward tho

Without Jack Hayes we'll be left with Josh Battle or Cooper Sharman or Zaine Cordy to chop out

Tom Campbell is AFL standard, he's an AFL standard ruck not key forward tho

Without Jack Hayes we'll be left with Josh Battle or Cooper Sharman or Zaine Cordy to chop out
I could see Owens doing pretty well in that role as well. Certainly not a centre bounce ruckman but he's tall, strong and an absolute maniac in contested situations. I think he'd be more effective than Battle or Sharman

Early pre Xmas 22, assuming only Hayes and King aren’t fit by round 1:

B: Wilkie, Howard, Paton
HB: Clark, Battle, Jones
C: Hill, Crouch, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Windhager
F: Butler, Membrey, Gresham
R: Marshall, Steele, Sinclair
Int: Ross, Dmac, Billings, Campbell

• Sincs into the guts, Jones HB to provide some speed. Really wanted to find a way to get Leo Connelly into the side as I love his run and carry.
  • Wood to keep his spot on the wing, one of our best in the back end of 22.
  • Gresh/Windy/Steele to rotate between on ball and FWD.
  • With King out I’d love for us to back in Sharman rather than move one of Howard/Battle/Cordy forward. Collingwood have done well with Mihocek as their main man, no reason Sharman, Membrey or even Owens can’t step up.
  • TC to give Roma a chop out until Hayes is ready to return.
Ressies:

B: Highmore, Van Es, Webster
HB: Connolly, Cordy, Coffield
C: NVM, Stocker*, Byrnes
HF: Stack*, Allison, Phillipou
F: Peris, Keeler, Hotton
R: Heath, Bytel, Owens
Int: McLennan, Adams

No doubt forgetting people.

Early pre Xmas 22, assuming only Hayes and King aren’t fit by round 1:

B: Wilkie, Howard, Paton
HB: Clark, Battle, Jones
C: Hill, Crouch, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Windhager
F: Butler, Membrey, Gresham
R: Marshall, Steele, Sinclair
Int: Ross, Dmac, Billings, Campbell

• Sincs into the guts, Jones HB to provide some speed. Really wanted to find a way to get Leo Connelly into the side as I love his run and carry.
  • Wood to keep his spot on the wing, one of our best in the back end of 22.
  • Gresh/Windy/Steele to rotate between on ball and FWD.
  • With King out I’d love for us to back in Sharman rather than move one of Howard/Battle/Cordy forward. Collingwood have done well with Mihocek as their main man, no reason Sharman, Membrey or even Owens can’t step up.
  • TC to give Roma a chop out until Hayes is ready to return.
Ressies:

B: Highmore, Van Es, Webster
HB: Connolly, Cordy, Coffield
C: NVM, Stocker*, Byrnes
HF: Stack*, Allison, Phillipou
F: Peris, Keeler, Hotton
R: Heath, Bytel, Owens
Int: McLennan, Adams

No doubt forgetting people.
Marshall normally gets 80-90% TOG.
Is Campbell really going to play 10-20%?
8-16 minutes of footy?

I could see Owens doing pretty well in that role as well. Certainly not a centre bounce ruckman but he's tall, strong and an absolute maniac in contested situations. I think he'd be more effective than Battle or Sharman
So you want to bash the crap out of a second year undersized player ,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back