Mega Thread Best 22 Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

would it be fair to say he was out of favor with the coaching staff or the playing group? or both? I saw a few games when he came off the bench and made instant impact with his Stevie J type snaps.. they just seemed reluctant to play him.

I have no idea to be honest, sorry.

If you recall in 2008 Wallace publicly criticised him for taking a shot at goal frm the pocket late in the game rather than centering the ball, not sure if that has any relevance.

I have no idea to be honest, sorry.

If you recall in 2008 Wallace publicly criticised him for taking a shot at goal frm the pocket late in the game rather than centering the ball, not sure if that has any relevance.

If I remember right he kicked the goal and there was much debate, especially on Wallace's beloved talkback that criticized Wallace himself.. But yeah probably against team rules.

I dont know why Swans fans are getting their knickers in a knot over how bad or good Mitch Morton is or could be. The fact is we got a serioulsy talented guy with some pretty serious attitude problems for pretty much nothing, if he comes off he comes off if he doesnt no loss.

I dont know why Swans fans are getting their knickers in a knot over how bad or good Mitch Morton is or could be. The fact is we got a serioulsy talented guy with some pretty serious attitude problems for pretty much nothing, if he comes off he comes off if he doesnt no loss.

Prefer Fev...

Prefer Fev...
I agree, dont know why we dont just rookie list him and get rid of him if he plays up once? you loose nothing but could gain plenty. Anyway im sure everyone has been though this 1 million times.

Prior to trade week, I was interested in getting fev. But with Walsh coming in, and Morton as well, I feel like we're headed in the direction of building for another shot at a flag rather than getting. Quick fix. We've got so many forward options that bringing fev in would limit opportunities for others with no guarantee that we'll win a flag. We've got a young group of guys that can develop together, and there's a lot of improvement to be made and we've remained competitive. There's the chance that our forward line may not click, and white/walsh/morton n co won't make it. But I'd rather give that a shot and build for the future rather than take a punt on fev and have others look elsewhere for more opportunity. We've got enough talent/potential in our current forwards to make it work without going for a short term option that hasn't had his s**t together for a long time, and hasn't even shown that he really understands what it takes to succeed on & off the field

Prior to trade week, I was interested in getting fev. But with Walsh coming in, and Morton as well, I feel like we're headed in the direction of building for another shot at a flag rather than getting. Quick fix. We've got so many forward options that bringing fev in would limit opportunities for others with no guarantee that we'll win a flag. We've got a young group of guys that can develop together, and there's a lot of improvement to be made and we've remained competitive. There's the chance that our forward line may not click, and white/walsh/morton n co won't make it. But I'd rather give that a shot and build for the future rather than take a punt on fev and have others look elsewhere for more opportunity. We've got enough talent/potential in our current forwards to make it work without going for a short term option that hasn't had his s**t together for a long time, and hasn't even shown that he really understands what it takes to succeed on & off the field

That is a ludicrous statement, the guy has kicked 100 goals in a season and won a few Colmans, pretty sure he knows what it takes to succeed on the field.
Anyway our forward line was one of the worst in the comp last year and with Walsh and Morton coming in that really doesn’t tell us much as Walsh has never even played a game and Morton was just delisted from Richmond, and White has shown very little So I think to say we have got everything we need in the foward is not exactly accurate. The only sure thing we have is Sam Reid and hes only 19!
Im not saying it wont click but I am saying having Fev is a superstar and if we had him for 3-4 years would make a huge difference, this of course is hypothetical and on the proviso that he behaved himself which the chances of that happening are low.

That is a ludicrous statement, the guy has kicked 100 goals in a season and won a few Colmans, pretty sure he knows what it takes to succeed on the field.
Anyway our forward line was one of the worst in the comp last year and with Walsh and Morton coming in that really doesn’t tell us much as Walsh has never even played a game and Morton was just delisted from Richmond, and White has shown very little So I think to say we have got everything we need in the foward is not exactly accurate. The only sure thing we have is Sam Reid and hes only 19!
Im not saying it wont click but I am saying having Fev is a superstar and if we had him for 3-4 years would make a huge difference, this of course is hypothetical and on the proviso that he behaved himself which the chances of that happening are low.

I knew someone would take that part out if context. I said on AND off the field, there's no doubt he's a gun on it, but at this point in his career its the off field stuff that's more important, and he hasn't said anything in interviews to suggest that he even fully understands his problems, how's he ever meant to find a solution.

We've gone after Walsh with the intention of including him in our best 22. We've recruited Morton to add to our forward stocks with Reid, white, spangher & everitt. They're all in an age bracket where they can develop together, and while they're all relatively unknown quantities, the coaching staff have invested our future in them. From those options, we.see who performs and give them a crack. Bringing fev in would mean Reid n Walsh get a shot n the rest wait for an opportunity. Considering everitt didn't really have an.opportunity late in the year to play in a forward line that finally started to function we didn't really see what our forwards are capable of. And add goodes into the mix from say 2013 onwards and there really isn't a need tor fev. Although now that I think of it, a forward line with fev Reid n Walsh with goodes rotating thru looks pretty dangerous

^^give me m.mortan everyday of the week.. he has loads of upside, fev didnt give a s**t about brisbane and he wouldnt give a s**t about sydney. who would seriously want fevola in 2012!!

Ludicrous schmudicrous.

Fev knew a whole heap about individual success, largely to the detriment of any team concept ... how much team success has he been involved with?

41 goals in 2009 (?) is a fair effort.
Which is more than anyone on our list has ever kicked in a season, besides Adam Goodes. White's best is a mediocre 22. The most goals anyone on our list has kicked in a season is Goodes' 44 in 2010.

Battling with gastro and a cold having arrive home this morning, I need to take my mind off it somehow so bugger it, gonna give this a bash again.

B: Smith Richards Mattner
HB: McVeigh LRT Shaw
C: Hannebery Kennedy McGlynn
HF: ROK Reid Parker
F: Rohan Walsh Bolton
R: Mumford Jack Goodes

I/C: Johnson, Bird, Pyke, Armstrong
Emergencies: Grundy, Lamb, Morton

Tough one to do really. There's about 16 that pick themselves and the last 6 or so are really tough to split from the rest. The Grundy vs LRT situation where we have 2 very capable tall defenders competing for one spot is an intriguing one. I think we could play them together with Teddy potentially but I think the defence is better balanced with AJ in the side as the 3rd tall as he is more suitable for smalls and mediums than say Grundy or LRT. I just can't wait to see how that all plays out week to week.

Lamb and Tommy Mitchell (should both be fit and firing early in the year) will be putting pressure on to find a spot in the 22 if they aren't already there by round 1. Same for Mitch Morton. If he gets super fit, I think he could be an incredibly good value pick up. I'm very excited about what he could potentially give us. I know, I know. 'Could', 'potentially' are rubbish off-season words but still, I'm looking forward to seeing what he gives us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes, should have had him on the bench or emergencies.

Mal is a really interesting case. At his best (a la 2007 and 2010) he is in our best 7 or 8 players but if he isn't at his best he struggles to make an impact on the game (particularly with the substitute rule coming in, he struggled a few times playing that role in 2011).

Hopefully 2011 can be put down to another knee injury and he can be back to his best in 2012, in which case he is certainly in our best 22 in my mind.

Nick Smith Heath Grundy Alex Johnson

Nick Malceski Ted Richards Heath Shaw

Dan Hannerbery Jude Bolton Josh Kennedy

Gary Rohan Sam Reid Adam Goodes

Mitch Morton Tommy Walsh Luke Parker

Ruck: Mumford Mcveigh Jack

Int Armstrong, Jetta, Bird, (Lamb Sub)

Emrg White, Gordon, Mattner

TDL, Spanger, Jetta, Pyke, LRT, Seaby, Mitchell - pushing for selection.

Where's the ROK? :confused::confused:

Sorry to intrude and only noticed the ROK was missing as I'm doing research to see if the ROK is clearly in 21 in 2012.

Where's the ROK? :confused::confused:

Sorry to intrude and only noticed the ROK was missing as I'm doing research to see if the ROK is clearly in 21 in 2012.

I reckon only a tiny tiny fraction of Swans fans (and none of the Swans coaching staff) would not have ROK cemented into our best 22. He's not missed more than a game or two since the start of the 2003 season and I think (from memory, I haven't checked) he has had 8 consecutive top 10 finishes in the B&F, many of those top 5.

ROK is still definitely in the best 22. Still playing footy that gets him BOG in a final (4 goals, 25 touches against the Saints in the EF) and was playing good footy for the vast majority of the year. Would probably rather he get more time in the forward line but he is definitely in the 22 in my mind.

I reckon only a tiny tiny fraction of Swans fans (and none of the Swans coaching staff) would not have ROK cemented into our best 22. He's not missed more than a game or two since the start of the 2003 season and I think (from memory, I haven't checked) he has had 8 consecutive top 10 finishes in the B&F, many of those top 5.

ROK is still definitely in the best 22. Still playing footy that gets him BOG in a final (4 goals, 25 touches against the Saints in the EF) and was playing good footy for the vast majority of the year. Would probably rather he get more time in the forward line but he is definitely in the 22 in my mind.

On form he should be one of the first picked. If you're looking at it from a SC pov Impromptu, he might be spending more time up forward now. Fairly sure the coaches have said he might.

Thank you for your responses.

I don't normally make DT/SC post on team boards, but this question directly relates to the thread title. It makes me nervous seeing ROK [inadvertently] left out of the 21 as I rate ROK clearly in the top 5 at the Swans. Thanks again:thumbsu:

A lot of improvement can come from a fit Kieren Jack and Nick Malceski I think. Neither of them were near full fitness, form or confidence in 2011 but with 2010 version Jack in the middle and potentially 2007/2010 version Malceski across HB, we are a much better side.

B: Nick Smith - Ted Richards - Alex Johnson
HB: Gary Rohan - Heath Grundy - Rhyce Shaw
C: Craig Bird - Jude Bolton - Adam Goodes
HF: Jarrad McVeigh - Sam Reid - Dan Hannebery
F: Ryan O'Keefe - Tommy Walsh - Ben McGlynn
Foll: Shane Mumford - Josh Kennedy - Kieren Jack
I/C: Luke Parker, Nick Malceski, Matt Spangher
Sub: Mitch Morton
Emerg: Marty Mattner, Tony Armstrong, Nathan Gordon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back