Mega Thread Best 22 Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

The question that keeps nagging away in my head is if Mitch Morton is as good as everyone here thinks he is then why did the Tigers let him go. It's not like they have excess talent. What was it again that they wanted for him, pick 79 I think.

I know every club thinks they can turn a player around, but that scenario includes the tigers and they gave up on him. Why?

My suggestion before everyone adds this guy to their 22 is to wait and see. Yes I know if he puts in the hard yards and commits to the team ethos then he will be a success, but then that could be said for an awful lot of footballers who never make it.

Been having a read of this thread trying to get a feel for what you lot think your best 22 25 is.
Might as well start here.

Morton was touted as a potential top 10 pick but went f/s instead. He certainly had talent.

Morton was traded from the eagles for two reasons.
1/ Attitude fair dinkum in Mitchs mind he had made it.
2/ Defensive work rate and an unwillingness to go when it was his turn to go.

At Richmond it was a similar thing. His first season was decent and imo had a v/good 09 rotating thru midfield, but the old attitude thing never really went away.
Imo i think Morton a mid defender but the key to him is his attitude., His willingness to work and being more accountable defensively.

With his talent i would not be surprised in the least if he doesnt have a good yr, but going by his past sustaining it will be the hard part.

Also lot of debate going on about you forward and second ruck set up.

Seems to me up forward ben Mcglyn is the sml lock in and Okeefe is the medium lock in.
To me it seems one other spot is open for a sml/med player the front runner to me would be Trent Dennis-Lane, Morton would be in the mix and i would be looking at someone like Lewis Jetta with his pace to apply pressure and crumb a bit like his namesake or Betts at carlton.

Clearly you need two genuine tall forwards. Sam Reid is a lock.
To me Goodes is the other lock he kicked 41 goals last yr and id say hes needed more forward than in the midfield oing by the spread of goals kicked by forwards last yr.
If goodes does not play forward you are looking at Sphanger or LRT .

Okay rucks. Most would agree you need one good one at least and a backup who can play forward.

The way i look at it Pike and Seaby are in competition with Mumford as genuine #1 ruckmen. Mumford wins hands down. To me the obvious choice for the ruckman forward role is white.

Some one once said to me talls to click by age 24. Its not a bad sort of guide.
Going by that guide and by where White is physically age wise and experience wise he needs to have a yr where you get more than just a good quarter, or odd good game. He needs to go up a level and find some consistency. the time is now or questions should be asked. key is patience with the big blokes people.

Any way heres a side it may be well off the mark and i apologise if it is.
height weight games and age included in that order. will do the likely top 30 for me, reason being mattner could well have have malceskis place etc. also i think the good kids will get games.

B/ Smith 183/82/52/23 - Richards 193/92/123/29 - Johnson 193/84/20/20
HB/ Malceski 189/86/104/27 - Grundy 193/100/90/25 - shaw 182/81/163/30
c/ Rohan 188/86/18/20 -Kennedy 188/96/61/23 -Hannebery 182/78/52/20
HF/Okeefe 188/88/233/31 - Reid 195/94/25/20 - TD-Lane 181/75/11/23
F/ Mcglyn 174/75/82/26 - Goodes 192/99/300/32 - White 196/103/53/24
R/ Mumford 198/105/61/25 - Mcveigh 184/83/169/26 - Jack 178/78/89/24
int/ Bolton 182/84/279/32 - Parker 183/85/13/19 - Bird 180/85/62/23 Mitchell 181/83/0/18

others in contention making up the top 30.
Sphanger 195/95/32/24 - Mattner 188/86/191/29 Lamb 181/82/0/19 Jetta 181/75/40/22 LRT 194/92/148/28 Morton 184/83/71/25 Everitt 194/89/47/23
Moore 178/84/68/26

the 22 has
good height good size throughout.
very experienced side as far as games played goes, 9 50 plus game players
7 100 plus gamers.
age wise its a decent spread. six under 21, eleven in their prime aged 23 thru 28.
with 5 mature/veteran players aged 29 plus.

it has depth with lots of those 8 outside the 22 in the prime age bracket and with 50 or 100 games plus.

That list of players should play finals. the one hole i see is with key forwards.
i suppose some would argue the lack of quality with lots of good solid citizens but not enough elite players if you like.

a lot of people saying you wont make the 8 imo you should be pushing for top 4 especially with the age/games situation.
the other thing i think important is enough kids get enough games

just my two bobs worth good luck on the season.

thanks for tha post good read on morton

I think as swans supporters we can agree that this list of players seems to have alot of depth about it and could be capable of pushing for a top four birth, but afew things will decide that,i think they are the following:

-Key players stay healthy:Goodes,Mumford,Jack,Kennedy,O'Keefe

-Improvement from young players:Reid(Absolute Star),Rohan,Parker,Lamb,Jetta,Johnson,Mitchell

-Impact of the new recruits:Armstrong,Walsh,Morton

Our forward line is probably the biggest concern,not sure whether Morton will have an impact,I think Walsh has a role to play along side Reid and I think if Jesse White can find another gear we can have a group of tall forwards capable of creating marking power we havent had for a long time. White is surely on his last chance but it is frustrating to watch because you know if he finds that belief and confidence in his game,he could make a massive difference to the side.

Love the look of the our young players coming through,parker is an absolute ripper and typifies the bloods spirit.I think we have a great mix right now and if we stay fit then top 4 is very much within our reach.Cheer Cheer

With Spangher, Armstrong not going to be ready for round 1, I can see something like this being picked for the GWS game (not necessarily what I'd pick, just a prediction):

B: Smith Richards Johnson
HB: Shaw Grundy Mattner
C: Hannebery Jack McVeigh
HF: Bolton Reid ROK
F: Rohan Pyke McGlynn
R: Mumford Goodes Kennedy

I/C: Bird, White, Parker, Jetta

With Spangher, Armstrong not going to be ready for round 1, I can see something like this being picked for the GWS game (not necessarily what I'd pick, just a prediction):

B: Smith Richards Johnson
HB: Shaw Grundy Mattner
C: Hannebery Jack McVeigh
HF: Bolton Reid ROK
F: Rohan Pyke McGlynn
R: Mumford Goodes Kennedy

I/C: Bird, White, Parker, Jetta

Like your team, would change one thing though. All last year we had one extra defender on the bench, so I would have either Malceski or LRT and leave out Jesse. Can't think of one reason to have him in the team.

It's a hard one.

Scenario: Mumford is stuffed and needs a rest on the bench. Goodes is dominating in the midfield. Pyke has to ruck for Mumford. Who is our key forward with Reid? Take White out of S120's team and the answer is no one.

I think there is room for two of White/LRT/Walsh/Seaby/Pyke/Spangher. We played our best football last year with three talls to go with Goodes and Mumford. Only problem is it's not a great selection to choose from. They are all capable I suppose, but none of the names jump out at you as an assured selection.

We ran Mumford into the ground last year so i think we need a regular second ruckman simply to make sure Mumford can get through a entire season of football. Based on what i saw in the NAB Cup Pyke has taken some huge strides in regards to positioning and his ability to get involved in open play so i would like to see him play quite a few games in 2012.

Pyke, LRT, Spangher, Walsh should rotate on a weekly basis depending on the side's needs for that particular match.

White & Seaby should only come into consideration if there are KP injuries in the squad.

Pyke, LRT, Spangher, Walsh should rotate on a weekly basis depending on the side's needs for that particular match.

White & Seaby should only come into consideration if there are KP injuries in the squad.

Cant really say Im a fan of that concept.

Particularly as we need to ensure Mumford is getting adequate rest tiem to play intensely. Pyke must play second ruck resting forward and Reid can push up to a CHF role when he's there and back to the goal square when Pykes rucking. LRT is a bit of a utility swing bench player at this point, filling in forward when Pyke's rucking or covering a back time if Richards or Grundy are missing.

Also on an earlier post from today Malceski must be given first chance to break into this team. When he's on fire the Swans are so much better for it and his running and kick is the style of play needed to break up the press off the Half Back Line. But were going to need to ensure he's protected as a team to do it.

Smith, Richards, Johnson
Shaw, Grundy, Malceski
Hannerbery, Kennedy, Rohan
Bolton, Reid, McGlynn
O'Keefe, Pyke, McVeigh
Mumford, Goodes, Jack
Bird, Mattner, LRT Sub Jetta (Ideally for LRT)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Particularly as we need to ensure Mumford is getting adequate rest tiem to play intensely. Pyke must play second ruck resting forward and Reid can push up to a CHF role when he's there and back to the goal square when Pykes rucking. LRT is a bit of a utility swing bench player at this point, filling in forward when Pyke's rucking or covering a back time if Richards or Grundy are missing.

Also on an earlier post from today Malceski must be given first chance to break into this team. When he's on fire the Swans are so much better for it and his running and kick is the style of play needed to break up the press off the Half Back Line. But were going to need to ensure he's protected as a team to do it.

Smith, Richards, Johnson
Shaw, Grundy, Malceski
Bolton, Reid, McGlynn
O'Keefe, Pyke, McVeigh
Mumford, Goodes, Jack
The end of last season was positive, Parker's one of those, I'd have him ahead of Jetta

The end of last season was positive, Parker's one of those, I'd have him ahead of Jetta

Bordeline. Just going what I saw on Friday night Jetta despite early pre season worries looked a lot better than last year. It could go either way but I have no doubt sooner rather than later Parker will be there. And by the time the unavailable list reaches it's zenith Parker will probably be a definite anyway.

Smith, Richards, Johnson
Shaw, Grundy, Malceski
Bolton, Reid, McGlynn
O'Keefe, Pyke, McVeigh
Mumford, Goodes, Jack
Thought Malceski looked terrible the other night has no composure
We need to find a big defender that can shut down the likes of Cloke and Buddy

lets be honest, not many defenders can actually do that, it is up to the team to ensure they are not left one-on-one
Well they are not doing a good enough job helping out. Big forwards have big days against us its the difference between us being a genuine premiership threat and not.

I thought Malceski looked ok against the saints. He was pressured off a few times against he cats but first hit out a little rusty making errors taking the game on was excusable.

What is the purpose of bring Malceaski’s name up in discussion about stopping Cloke or Buddy.

We know it’s not going to be him and his role will never be one on one, it’s not what he’s on the team, to do. He needs to be the player to run through the forward zones and presses and hit the targets. Ensure he kicks well under pressure is the biggest issue to rectify with Malceski.

I think Johnson is in development for forwards like Buddy, ideally Grundy who can be an excellent aerialist mark could improve to handle Cloke and Riewoldt but this year Teddy gets first shot, but we need to ensure these forwards do not receive uncontested disposals coming into them one on one no matter who is in on them.

I thought Malceski looked ok against the saints. He was pressured off a few times against he cats but first hit out a little rusty making errors taking the game on was excusable.

What is the purpose of bring Malceaski’s name up in discussion about stopping Cloke or Buddy.

We know it’s not going to be him and his role will never be one on one, it’s not what he’s on the team, to do. He needs to be the player to run through the forward zones and presses and hit the targets. Ensure he kicks well under pressure is the biggest issue to rectify with Malceski.

I think Johnson is in development for forwards like Buddy, ideally Grundy who can be an excellent aerialist mark could improve to handle Cloke and Riewoldt but this year Teddy gets first shot, but we need to ensure these forwards do not receive uncontested disposals coming into them one on one no matter who is in on them.

Malceski was never meant to be involved in the Buddy Cloke situation. There is no way Johnson as much as I like him as a rebound defender is going to be the player to stop the big guys.

Last year we lost to Collingwood by 6 points Cloke kicked 6 goals from 18 kicks and 8 marks
Buddy kicked 6 goals 6 and had 28 touches

Malceski was never meant to be involved in the Buddy Cloke situation. There is no way Johnson as much as I like him as a rebound defender is going to be the player to stop the big guys.

Last year we lost to Collingwood by 6 points Cloke kicked 6 goals from 18 kicks and 8 marks
Buddy kicked 6 goals 6 and had 28 touches

He's exactly the same size as Richards and taller than Grundy + he played on Franklin for some time in the final last year.

He will be played at full back man on man during his career.

He's exactly the same size as Richards and played on Franklin for some time in the final last year.

He will be played at full back man on man during his career.
This is exactly what im saying Richards does not get the job done on the big forwards he is a fantastic player don't get me wrong, but they are too big for him.
Johnson is a half back flanker

This is exactly what im saying Richards does not get the job done on the big forwards he is a fantastic player don't get me wrong, but they are too big for him.
Johnson is a half back flanker

tHey all Flankers at 18 but he has the attrubutes to be a KPD

sure and we've always struggled with giants like cloke. I agree that Johnson is not the answer for such a player but his one step foot speed is the sort of defender for lead out forwards like Franklin or Steven Johnson.

I think he is very much a man up defender when he builds his muscle up, and the fact he is played deeper more often than Shaw, Macleski and Mattner is fair indication he is being groomed for a role.

tHey all Flankers at 18 but he has the attrubutes to be a KPD

sure and we've always struggled with giants like cloke. I agree that Johnson is not the answer for such a player but his one step foot speed is the sort of defender for lead out forwards like Franklin or Steven Johnson.

I think he is very much a man up defender when he builds his muscle up, and the fact he is played deeper more often than Shaw, Macleski and Mattner is fair indication he is being groomed for a role.
Pray that Ben Reid wants to play with his brother when he comes out of contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back