Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasn't really had a chance to play on the wing or up the ground yet. With his aerobic capacity he'll be able to work both sides of the ground, and with his pace I can't see anyone keeping up with him. I think he'd cause havoc on a wing.
He played forward before moving into defence. I understand that he moved behind the ball on account of his not being great in front of it. We've had all-time terrible wings for the last few years - there's been opportunity, if he were up to it. Notwithstanding his running capacity, I just don't think it's his play.

Coach Killer

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He hasn't really had a chance to play on the wing or up the ground yet. With his aerobic capacity he'll be able to work both sides of the ground, and with his pace I can't see anyone keeping up with him. I think he'd cause havoc on a wing.
Agree, he screams wing to me. Other than he's brilliant running capacity, his ability 1 and 1 is Key and he's excellent overhead. We lacked targets coming out of defence this year. He won't get beaten too often and we can confidently play through him.

That's one part of the ground covered, I’d love to see Day on the other Wing for the same reason.

Hawked Wings

Team Captain
May 16, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First Bounce Round One

Fb: Hardwick(c) Blanck Sicily
Hb: Jiath Frost Day
C: Bramble Ward Amon
Hf: Moore Kosi Macdonald
FF: Breust Lewis Reeves

R: Meek Newcombe Wingard

Interchange (5 of and no order) Worpel Finn Impey Scrimshaw DGB Pick 6 Morrison Nash

• I’d have Wingard attending 90% of Centre Bounces then playing mostly forward. If he stays fit he can average 20 and 2 goals a game.
  • Plenty of run and drive off HB and through the centre line.
  • Meek starting Ruck because I reckon Reeves could be handy up forward but obviously could go either way.
  • Want to give Kosi a crack to get back to some 2021 form otherwise I’d try Scrimshaw up forward.
  • Sicily back to being the 3rd tall defender.
  • Given Hardwick captain because I absolutely love the way he goes about it, 25 and can lead us into our new era. (Sicily most likely though)
  • Frost over DGB for now just to add experience down back and free up Sicily.
  • Big years for Wingard, Worpel and Impey.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hardwick Blanck Impey
Jiath Sicily Scrimshaw
Day Newcombe Amon
Moore Kosi McDonald
Breust Lewis Wingard
Reeves Stephens Ward

Inter from
Nash, Morrison, Meek, Morris, Worple, DGB, McGuiness, Frost, Butler

The fact our best 22 is so up in the air shows we are in serious re build mode with so may unknowns.

Biggest ?? are at either end.
Is Blank the gorilla we've been dreaming of and is Kosi competent or better?

Until these two key post questions are answered our list build is far from ready to challenge.

Depth is building. Who will put their hand up? Our rd 1 side will come down to fitness and quality of pre season for at least a third of the team.

Last edited:

DeafHawk

Senior List
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know Hardwick's best position is the back pocket but when he was young kicked unbelievable 11 goals.. Is 4 quarters the main problem?

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Round 1 2023:
Sicily & Hardwick are my first choice leaders, I would like to see big Nuke rewarded with a vc in the middle.
You can throw a blanket over the wings and pockets the competion for spots is even. I want to see Sicily freed up to control the back with Jiath given a listen to run. W.day could be the key to unlock our midfield, patiently waiting for a breakout season i am praying for a full preseason.

FB: Frost-Blanck-Hardwick(vc)
HB:Sicily(C)-Jeka-Scrimshaw
W: Jiath - Day - Amon
HF:Wingard-Kosi-Moore
FF: Impey-Lewis-Bruest
R: Meek-Nuke(vc)-Worpel

B:Reeves-Ward-C-Mac-Finn-Morrison-
Emergency Stephens-Bramble-Dgb Brockman

Last edited:
I know Hardwick's best position is the back pocket but when he was young kicked unbelievable 11 goals.. Is 4 quarters the main problem?
Speed & the (in)ability to get separation from his opponent is the problem.

Since 2001

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
B- Hardwick (25) DGB (20) Scrimma (24)
B- Impey (27) Sicily (27 and Captain) CJ (23)

M- Day (21) Newcombe (21) Amon (27)

F- Wingard (29) Kozi (22) Macdonald (19)
F- Moore (23) Lewis (24) Bruest (31)

R- Reeves (23) Worpel (23) Ward (19)

B- Morrison (23) Meek (24) Stephens (21) Number 6 draft pick

Bramble (24) Butler (19) Maginness (21) Brockman (19)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a KPD. Plays effective 3rd defender.
Better break it gently to the GWS, Melbourne and Hawthorn coaching staff because (aside from a 2016 experimental stint in the Melbourne forward line) he’s played on one of the two key opposition forwards for at least 130 of his 141 games. 🤷‍♂️

Blanck was a direct replacement for Frost when the latter got injured for the season.

Better break it gently to the GWS, Melbourne and Hawthorn coaching staff because (aside from a 2016 experimental stint in the Melbourne forward line) he’s played on one of the two key opposition forwards for at least 130 of his 141 games. 🤷‍♂️

Blanck was a direct replacement for Frost when the latter got injured for the season.
He's not strong enough, nor tall enough, to play against the big KPF. Nothing against him, he's one of my favourites, it's just not his strength - he plays small/fast for someone of his build, whereas someone like Sicily plays very tall for his height.

I'm not saying he hasn't been played KPD, he clearly has, but he's much more effective as a 3rd tall - he can play on the small/zippy forwards but not the bigger/power forwards.

Just a couple of things when choosing the side (I will try and pick a side after pre-season starts).
Day is to play back with mid rotations.
CJ is a weapon from HB he will stay there.
Bramble is no certainty in the side.
Morrison will start on the wing rnd 1
Frost will be in the side rnd 1 (given we have lost experience on the ground)
Impey will most likely play back pocket. We want to be using Brockman, Butler and Serong playing forward
Scrim might get some time further up the ground

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just a couple of things when choosing the side (I will try and pick a side after pre-season starts).
Day is to play back with mid rotations.
CJ is a weapon from HB he will stay there.
Bramble is no certainty in the side.
Morrison will start on the wing rnd 1
Frost will be in the side rnd 1 (given we have lost experience on the ground)
Impey will most likely play back pocket. We want to be using Brockman, Butler and Serong playing forward
Scrim might get some time further up the ground
We haven’t lost experience from defence. I see it kind of like this:

Hardwick, blanck, Sicily
Cj, dgb/frost/jeka, day

Scrimshaw somewhere in their too 😂

It boils down to do we want to give opportunities to dgb and jeka or play our best backline (assuming frost is in that best backline). I’m not sure frost is actually in our best 22 where we only want to play two talls in defence.

Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Depending how his preseason goes, I’d like to see Morris get another crack in the team as a defender. Tough and tidy with the ball is a good combo.

That pushes either Day or Scrimshaw to try their hand as the third tall up forward. We’ll have freedom to try both over the season I daresay.

Kosi or Jeka as the second tall is an interesting one as their weaknesses/strengths are polar opposites. I’d love to see Jeka get a crack at CHF for a month or two in the seniors.

bigconornash

Coleman Medallist
Aug 12, 2022
Ireland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fox Footy's Best 22

B:
Blake Hardwick, James Sicily, James Blanck

HB: Changkouth Jiath, Sam Frost, Will Day

C: Lachlan Bramble, Josh Ward, Karl Amon

HF: Dylan Moore, Jacob Koschitzke, Connor Macdonald

F: Luke Breust, Mitch Lewis, Lloyd Meek

FOLL: Ned Reeves, Jai Newcombe, Chad Wingard

I/C: James Worpel, Jarman Impey, Jack Scrimshaw, Finn Maginness

Morrison for Bramble and its alright.

Fox Footy's Best 22

B:
Blake Hardwick, James Sicily, James Blanck

HB: Changkouth Jiath, Sam Frost, Will Day

C: Lachlan Bramble, Josh Ward, Karl Amon

HF: Dylan Moore, Jacob Koschitzke, Connor Macdonald

F: Luke Breust, Mitch Lewis, Lloyd Meek

I/C: James Worpel, Jarman Impey, Jack Scrimshaw, Finn Maginness

Morrison for Bramble and its alright.
Not far off

Mine would be:

B: Blake Hardwick, James Blanck, Jack Scrimshaw

HB: Changkouth Jiath, James Sicily, Will Day

C: Harry Morrison, Josh Ward, Karl Amon

HF: Dylan Moore, Lloyd Meek, Connor Macdonald

F: Luke Breust, Mitch Lewis, Tyler Brockman

I/C: James Worpel, Pick 6, Conor Nash, Finn Maginness

Pending the change to 5 on the bench. I'd like a way to get Sam Butler or Jai Serong in. Not sure how to squeeze DGB or Frost in there.

My team would be:

Morris Blanck DGB
CJ Sicily Day
Amon Newk Morrison
Moore Serong Breust
Wingard Lewis Brockman
Reeves Maginess Ward

Int: Meek/Lynch, Worpel, MacDonald, Nash and Pick 6
Don't want to leave Scrim out, but not sure who to not include. For a supposedly weak team, I still struggle to drop some players

hawkmang

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My team would be:

Morris Blanck DGB
CJ Sicily Day
Amon Newk Morrison
Moore Serong Breust
Wingard Lewis Brockman
Reeves Maginess Ward

Int: Meek/Lynch, Worpel, MacDonald, Nash and Pick 6
Don't want to leave Scrim out, but not sure who to not include. For a supposedly weak team, I still struggle to drop some players
I’d have Scrim in instead of Serong, start him at CHF

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Feels like it’s

Hardwick ???? ????
Day Sicily CJ
Amon ????? ?????
Moore ???? ????
Breust Lewis ?????
Reeves Jai ?????
I: ??? ??? ??? ???

So many spots up for grabs - 2nd and 3rd tall down back, 7th defender, most of midfield, the 2nd kpf and 2nd ruck, preferred hff/small forward combo.

Turly

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2010
mill park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Feels like it’s

Hardwick ???? ????
Day Sicily CJ
Amon ????? ?????
Moore ???? ????
Breust Lewis ?????
Reeves Jai ?????
I: ??? ??? ??? ???

So many spots up for grabs - 2nd and 3rd tall down back, 7th defender, most of midfield, the 2nd kpf and 2nd ruck, preferred hff/small forward combo.
Lol pretty sure Scrimshaw and Wingard are locks. Morrison, Ward and MacDonald too.

The rest will be filled by Impey, Nash, Worpel, Finn (should be a lock), Blanck, DGB, Morris, Frost, Bramble, Kosi, Butler, Brockman, Morris, Jeka, Serong, Stephens and Meek. Plus our first pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back