Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
B: ?, Blancke, ?
HB ?, Kosi, ?
C: ? Jai, ?
HF. ? Jeka, ?
F. ? Lewis. ?
Foll. ? Meek. ?
Bench. Ned, ???

Throw whatever combination around that spine. Those 7 players need to play 22 games together in those positions. The spine needs to grow and settle.

If our spine is out of line the body begins to break down and then the mind breaks down and we end up a bubbling mess. Same with football.

As an example, Playing guys like Siciliy in the spine is counter productive. The body (team) will perform better with Sicily in his best position across half back.

I bulk bill.

Depending how his preseason goes, I’d like to see Morris get another crack in the team as a defender. Tough and tidy with the ball is a good combo.

That pushes either Day or Scrimshaw to try their hand as the third tall up forward. We’ll have freedom to try both over the season I daresay.

Kosi or Jeka as the second tall is an interesting one as their weaknesses/strengths are polar opposites. I’d love to see Jeka get a crack at CHF for a month or two in the seniors.
Jeka is such a natural forward, really hope he can put it together this year. Seemed to stagnate last year, but he is still only 21yo. Would hate for him to be thrown to the backline and waste the fwd talent as I see he and Lewis with huge potential as a marking mobile couple. I get the upside with his clean disposal out of the backline etc, but footage of him taking it out in front on F50 then wheeling around onto his right or left to find a target or slot one is poetry. He may never become what we hope but a little more time…?

Jeka is such a natural forward, really hope he can put it together this year. Seemed to stagnate last year, but he is still only 21yo. Would hate for him to be thrown to the backline and waste the fwd talent as I see he and Lewis with huge potential as a marking mobile couple. I get the upside with his clean disposal out of the backline etc, but footage of him taking it out in front on F50 then wheeling around onto his right or left to find a target or slot one is poetry. He may never become what we hope but a little more time…?
It’s Jekalenko time.

22 games at CHF and he’ll kick 40 plus goals. Nothing surer.

Bookmark it.

HB ?, Kosi, ?
HF. ? Jeka, ?
F. ? Lewis. ?
Foll. ? Meek. ?
Bench. Ned, ???

Throw whatever combination around that spine. Those 7 players need to play 22 games together in those positions. The spine needs to grow and settle.

I agree, but I would put the core midfield as more crucial this year, even ahead of the spine.
With 3 young rucks and lots of young mids, it's a fantastic opportunity to build a unit that knows each other inside out. It's a crucial part of every great team.

Newcombe, Ward, Stephens and Worpel to lead. CMac rolling through there more often too. Nash and Finn playing roles.
I want to see worpel given a full year, it would be huge if he gets it back.
Same with Morrison, back him in opposite Amon.

Then there is this years draftees... hopefully they can squeeze in somehow, get in the mix early.

Im not so sure about giving Moore more midfield time than he already has... He really is an elite small forward, let him perfect that craft, we'll need him when Bruest sails away.

Last edited:
My team would be:

Morris Blanck DGB
CJ Sicily Day
Amon Newk Morrison
Moore Serong Breust
Wingard Lewis Brockman
Reeves Maginess Ward

Int: Meek/Lynch, Worpel, MacDonald, Nash and Pick 6
Don't want to leave Scrim out, but not sure who to not include. For a supposedly weak team, I still struggle to drop some players

I agree with most of the players picked, but you forgot Hardwick, we need all the experience we can get so I'd pick him in place of Morris.
I also think Stephens shoud be in from round 1, for Nash/Finn/#6

I’d have Scrim in instead of Serong, start him at CHF

Agree with this too. Scrimshaw must be in, fwd or back. Serong makes way

B: Morris Frost Hardwick
HB: Jaith Sicily Scrimshaw
C: Amon Stephens Day
HF: McDonald Jeka Wingard
F: Bruest Lewis Reeves
Foll: Meek, Newcombe, Moore

Inter: Morrison Worpel Ward Impey

Emer: Butler, DGB, Blanck, Bramble

Pick 6, Brockman, Maginness,Nash and Kosi ready to pounce

Blanck comes in (for Impey) if we play against 3 pronged attack.
Hardwick given a licence to roam with Morris the lock down.
Sicily beats his man as usual and runs off him
Jeka takes the Gunston role

It is just such a hard team to pick, nearly every spot is up for grabs.

I'd say only Lewis, Hardwick, Sicily, Moore and Newcombe are locks. (Excluding Amon)

A form slump for anyone else would mean someone else gets a go.

It is just such a hard team to pick, nearly every spot is up for grabs.

I'd say only Lewis, Hardwick, Sicily, Moore and Newcombe are locks. (Excluding Amon)

A form slump for anyone else would mean someone else gets a go.
I hope so.

Been an issue over last 5 years (especially under Clarko but Sam did it a bit last year as well) that we have continued to select players that are out of form/not fit (think Chad and Impey last year or Stratton in his last two years).

I look at our list and I think we now have decent depth but not much class factor (especially in the middle). But having depth we no longer need to carry players through extended form slumps and no way should we be selecting players that aren't match fit.

FB: Morris - Blanck - hardwick
HB: Jiath - Sicily - DGB
C: Day - Newcombe - Amon
HF: Moore - Jeka - Wingard
FF: Breust - Lewis - Scrimshaw
R: Meek - Worpel - Ward
Int: Reeves - MacDonald - Maginness - Brockman
Emergencies from: frost impey butler Morrison nash bramble lynch stephens and 2022 draft
Don't mind it - Think it will be either Worpel or Stephens depending on Pre-Season From

FB: Morris - Blanck - hardwick
HB: Jiath - Sicily - DGB
C: Day - Newcombe - Amon
HF: Moore - Jeka - Wingard
FF: Breust - Lewis - Scrimshaw
R: Meek - Worpel - Ward
Int: Reeves - MacDonald - Maginness - Brockman
Emergencies from: frost impey butler Morrison nash bramble lynch stephens and 2022 draft
I don't think we can go with DGB as a HBF. A HFF would take him up the ground & blow him up by Quarter Time & we have far more creative by foot &/or with line breaking run.

He's a BP/3rd tall defender for now.

I don't think we can go with DGB as a HBF. A HFF would take him up the ground & blow him up by Quarter Time & we have far more creative by foot &/or with line breaking run.

He's a BP/3rd tall defender for now.
Switch Hardwick and DGB then and kosi probably added to the long list of emergencies which is pleasing to see depth just lacking top end game changers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Morris can hold down a spot in defence, it might then allow Day to play in the midfield. There really is no need for Day to play in defence anymore.
Unless, of course, it's his best position because he's a very good intercept-marker & provides excellent rebound (from defence). Then, you could say that there's some merit in playing him there.

Unless, of course, it's his best position because he's a very good intercept-marker & provides excellent rebound (from defence). Then, you could say that there's some merit in playing him there.

Sicily, DGB, Scrimshaw and CJ all have similar strengths to Day there. Impey is a good interceptor for a shorter player too.

We can afford to move someone up the ground and Scrimshaw has been better as a HBF than Day IMO - so I reckon Day and CJ should be rolled through the wing / up the ground.

I think this a rare occasion for us where we aren't robbing Peter to pay Paul by moving someone up the ground.

I agree, but I would put the core midfield as more crucial this year, even ahead of the spine.
With 3 young rucks and lots of young mids, it's a fantastic opportunity to build a unit that knows each other inside out. It's a crucial part of every great team.

Newcombe, Ward, Stephens and Worpel to lead. CMac rolling through there more often too. Nash and Finn playing roles.
I want to see worpel given a full year, it would be huge if he gets it back.
Same with Morrison, back him in opposite Amon.

Then there is this years draftees... hopefully they can squeeze in somehow, get in the mix early.

Im not so sure about giving Moore more midfield time than he already has... He really is an elite small forward, let him perfect that craft, we'll need him when Bruest sails away.
You are wise beyond your years grasshopper, but wisdom, like branches on a tree, requires a foundation of knowledge and lived experience for it to grow and prosper.

What that has to do with football or this post is beyond human understanding and can only be revealed when you can snatch pebbles from my open hand when there are no pebbles to snatch.

Until then stick insect, may your days be long and your nose hair longer.

You are wise beyond your years grasshopper, but wisdom, like branches on a tree, requires a foundation of knowledge and lived experience for it to grow and prosper.

What that has to do with football or this post is beyond human understanding and can only be revealed when you can snatch pebbles from my open hand when there are no pebbles to snatch.

Until then stick insect, may your days be long and your nose hair longer.
Riddles wow

But nah seriously, don't agree with Kosi at CHB btw xx

HB ?, Kosi, ?
HF. ? Jeka, ?
F. ? Lewis. ?
Foll. ? Meek. ?
Bench. Ned, ???

If our spine is out of line the body begins to break down and then the mind breaks down and we end up a bubbling mess. Same with football.

As an example, Playing guys like Siciliy in the spine is counter productive. The body (team) will perform better with Sicily in his best position across half back.

I bulk bill.
Sicily should play as a third tall but go and play on a big key forward when needed.

DGB/Blanck

Jai

Jeka/Lewis

Meek/Ned

G'day ladies and gentlemen long time viewer first time commenter this thread got my attention so here is my 2cents this is including the idea of a 5 man. bench.

Back: Hardwick Blanck Frost
HB: Jiath Sicily Scrimshaw
C: Amon Newcombe Day
HF: Moore Kosi Wingard
Fwd: Breust Lewis Meek
Foll: Reeves Worpel Ward
--------------------------------
Mag-lock, Macdonald, DGB, Impey & Morrison

Reasoning on the fringes:
DGB: Putting on some good size this off season and putting in the work we have seen glimpses if he tears down the off season its a tick
Maglock: a shut down player like Finn is hard to come by especially for us we tend to be a team that one player especially gets the hold of and tears us to bits enter the Mag.
MacDonald: Simply has so much finesse for a kid so young would love to see him given more cracks up the ground I thought during the season when he had a chance he did some very clever things.

Unlucky to miss:
Nash: no doubt every chance of playing round 1
Morris: Maaan the same game this kid got injured he was beginning to show some really promising signs I see him knocking on the door of a Impey type potentially Morrison if Morrison doesn't keep his best foot forward.
Jeks: Showed a tonne last year I thought I actually like the idea of him possibly becoming a bit of a swingman but wouldn't surprise me if he gets a shot round 1 either.
Stephens: Lets see what he can do during the pre season ( Geelong supporters rated him very highly )
Humphrey, Clark, Mackenzie or ( unlikely but ) Tsatas: So assuming we get one of the mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a gig but at the same time Mitchell might want to start with a touch more experience but if any of them absolutely tear the house down during the off season then I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell takes them out to the deep end.
Butler, Brockman: Probably have to find consistency in the reserves for a shot both have showed great promise in the first few games of their AFL careers
Lynch: Lynch 100% wants the top ruck spot so its gonna be very intriguing watching our ruck merry-go-round this year any slip ups I expect to see a bit of rotation unfortunately for Lynchy hard to put him in over Meek & Reeves, Meek is probably the most all rounded between them whereas Reeves has that height and hit out advantage, granted ( Reeves ) he still needs work out his height advantage around the ground he has a half body length on some players and yet its almost like he gets scared at times in the marking contest around the ground.

Special mention: Will Day, I heard through the rumour mill Day is really trying to take the next steps to becoming a mid, I could see a scenario where he and Ward swap around a few occasions.

Last edited:
HB ?, Kosi, ?
HF. ? Jeka, ?
F. ? Lewis. ?
Foll. ? Meek. ?
Bench. Ned, ???

I bulk bill.

Kosi was moved from CHB to CHF because his CHB play was poor by BHH standards. I doubt he goes back there unless they don't think he can make it work as a CHF, based on his 2022. I think we are short a gorilla defender/potential gorilla defender and expect we would try to get one via FA in 2 years time.

Kosi was moved from CHB to CHF because his CHB play was poor by BHH standards. I doubt he goes back there unless they don't think he can make it work as a CHF, based on his 2022. I think we are short a gorilla defender/potential gorilla defender and expect we would try to get one via FA in 2 years time.
He was drafted as a KPB and was tried at CHB 3 years ago as a 19yo with no pre season at BH.

He’s since turned into an athletic beast who can now match it physically with anyone in the AFL.

B Sicily Blancke Hardwick
HB Jiath DGB Scrimshaw
C Day Worpel Amon
HF Moore Lewis McDonald
F Bruest Koschitzke Wingard
FOLL- Reeves Ward Newcombe
I/C- Morrison, Magginess, Impey, Meek, Stephens

B: Dimma, Blanck, DGB
HB: Scrimmers, Siss, Jiath
C: Day, Ward, Amon
HF: Macca, Ramma, Moore
F: Wingard, Lewis, Bruest
Foll: Reeves, Newk, Finn
I/C: Morris, Stephens, Meek, Nash, Tsatsas/Poo/McKenzie

Next soldiers in line: Worpel, Morrison, Kozi, Impey, Frost, Butler, Brocky, Jeka, Serong, Lynch, Bramble, Long

Couple of points that will make us competitive next year:

• We have quite a few elite gut runners on our list and our two way running will be a factor late in quarters/games. With better kicks across the ground we will also get better in executing Sammies attacking game plan/style,
  • I have Finn as a walk up start in the midfield as his contribution in shutting down the oppositions best mid (whether it’s a bull, gut runner, small, big, tall etc) is an underrated weapon that Sam has up his sleeve. Nash is in there as well, with Newk we need some animals/brutes in there so we don’t get bullied or bashed up in the guts,
  • big year of improvement for DGB. He has a strong character but lacks belief and hoping after two seasons he will find it,
  • I’ve included Ramma as CHF. I know it’s a massive call but no one is screaming out for the position so why not I say. With his traits will be a hard matchup and got very big hopes for this kid next year. His athletic traits are freakish for >200cm,
  • Have a look at the depth, impressive. We should be able to cover injuries that will undoubtedly happen during a season and the competition internally will drive everyone on the list to improve and give 110% effort.

As the season ended this year plus with some of the departures so many in the media are painting a picture of doom and gloom for us. We need to bottom out for a couple of years to get access to quality kids, they have a big hole in experience/leadership blah blah blah. Nah don’t buy it. I absolutely love the rapid list transition over the last two/three years (as we were s##t) while watching the development and improvement in a number of players. The rebuild is well on its way brothers and sisters and once the majority of this group get to 50-100 games LOOKOUT! I can see us pushing for finals in 24. One thing I would put my house on is that I bet Sam will be striving and doing everything possible to be pushing for finals next year and it’s brilliant that we have a coach with this mindset, it’s in his DNA. Feel a bit sorry for Mrs Mitchell as I don’t think Sam would sleep still for more than an hour 😀!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back