Preview Best 23 in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Obviously hard to tell right now but how do we think Dimma is setting us up in 2024?

Honestly reckon we will go a bit smaller, drop a key forward and run with a King and Lukosius forward line, is it more mobile? The only issue being, who would chop Witts out in the ruck, has Andrew bulked up enough to give 5 minutes a quarter?

Other questions:
Swallow play a permanent forward role?
Ainsworth a fixture on the wing?
Berry a role player for Hardwick?
1 or 2 Rucks?
Any big fish to come in?
Any first year players making the cut?

An example how it could look with the rumored outs:

Lemmens - Collins - Budarick
Powell - Ballard - Andrew
Ellis - Anderson - Ainsworth
Humphrey - Lukosius - Berry
Rosas - King - Swallow

Witts - Rowell - Miller

Flanders - Atkins - Long - Jeffrey
Sub: Holman

We are looking for a strong running winger and have a lot of inside bulls wy don't they put touk on the wing and let him run all day and have stints on the ball

We are looking for a strong running winger and have a lot of inside bulls wy don't they put touk on the wing and let him run all day and have stints on the ball
Because he is our inside running mid along with Noah. He isn't really a bull, so you'd be taking something we can't really replace in the midfield.

Budders - collins - long
Jeffrey - ballard - Andrews
Touk - rowell - powell
Humprey - luko - ainsworth
Rosas - king - swallow
Witts - anderson - flanders

Davies hollands weller moyle
Sub ellis/atkins

i see touk sacrificing his role for the team, a bit like callum mills does for sydney. i see touk taking on the opposition best midfielder every week and shutting them down. eg lachie neale.

It will allow flanders & anderson to hunt the ball.

half forward/mid switch with flanders/hump

i see touk sacrificing his role for the team, a bit like callum mills does for sydney. i see touk taking on the opposition best midfielder every week and shutting them down. eg lachie neale.

It will allow flanders & anderson to hunt the ball.

half forward/mid switch with flanders/hump
I tend to agree, it might mean that touk never becomes a brownlow medallist but he will be more chance to be a premiership player. Sure there will be times for him to be unleashed also but he's the best defensive midfielder we have.

Budders - collins - long
Jeffrey - ballard - Andrews
Touk - rowell - powell
Humprey - luko - ainsworth
Rosas - king - swallow
Witts - anderson - flanders

Davies hollands weller moyle
Sub ellis/atkins
Is that 2023 best or 2024 best
Because that looks like the team that came 4th last this year

Because that looks like the team that came 4th last
Because that looks like the team that came 4th last this
Because that looks like the team that came 4th last

Yes it does make changes if you can

To be fair, a team that just made the prelim were coming off a bottom 4 appearance and lost 2 good players (Taranto and Hopper) without adding much.

Getting another pre-season into Bear, Mac, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Rosas, Jeffrey, Johnston, Uwland, Davies, Lukosius, King under Dimma is worth like 2 wins by itself.

Jenkins and Davis assessed Suns on Trade Radio. Both think Suns will play finals, just.

Jenkins gave every line basically B. Biggest weakness in his opinion is depth in the middle after Anderson, Miller, Rowell, need to play more players there. He did not mention Humprey, Flanders, Davies, Fiorini.

Phil Davis I really rate. He is a big fan of Suns. He would like to see another small forward (I can only see Ace, Rogers). Some speed around middle, we are one-paced (I only see Weller, unless we start to play more Rosas or even Budarick there, down the track Rogers, Lombard). He would like to see faster rebound from defence (I see Powell, Budarick, possibly Johnston, can Farrar become more consistent or will Farrar be actually moved forward or even on the wing).

Time to fill these weak spots by trade next year!

Here is my best 22 for 2024 with depth (list at the moment minus Chol, Hollands, plus academy kids, Sharp delisted).

Some questions.
Defence. One or two spots undecided. Will Lemmens make it? Will Johnston make progress in the off-season? How Long will go?
Midfield. Will Davies make best 22? Who will be wings? Powell could move there. Will we see Rosas in the middle more often?
Forward. Do we play 2 or 3 talls? Will Walter start round 1 or even Rogers? Could Davies jump ahead of Swallow?

Budarick Collins Andrew
Jeffrey Ballard Powell
Ellis Anderson Atkins
Witts Miller Rowell
Ainsworth Lukosius Swallow
Rogers King Rosas
Int: Flanders Humphrey Uwland Holman
Sub: Ace

Depth
Defence: Lemmens, Long, Farrar, Graham, Brock, Macpherson, Johnston, Clohesy
Midfield: Weller, Moyle, Davies, Read, Fiorini, W Graham, Tsitas, Faulkhead
Forward: Walter, Casboult, Day, Berry, Sexton, Rowlands, Mahony

VFL
Lemmens Graham Macpherson
Long Brock Johnston
Faulkhead Davies Farrar
Moyle Fiorini Tsitas
Berry Walter Mahony
Sexton Casboult Day
Read W-Graham Clohesy Rowlands

Weller

Last edited:
Maybe not rd1 but how I'd like to see us line up at some point.

Uwland Collins Andrew
Jeffery ballard Powell

Ellis/weller Anderson ainsworth
Witts Rowell miller

Rosas Lukosius Humphrey
Walter King swallow

Bench: Budarick(def), flanders(mid) read (fwd,ruck) Rogers (fwd,mid)
Sub- atkins

HS has this

GOLD COAST​

DRAFT PICKS: 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38, 66, 71, 74, 84

Gold Coast round 1 best 23​

B: C. Ballard, S. Collins, M. Andrew
HB: W. Powell, C. Budarick, D. Macpherson
C: N. Anderson, S. Flanders, B. Ellis
HF: B. Ainsworth, J. Lukosius, B. Humphrey
F: M. Rosas, B. King, N. Holman
FOL: J. Witts, T. Miller, M. Rowell
I/C: D. Swallow, J. Walter (draftee), J. Jeffrey, S. Lemmens, B. Fiorini
INJURED
L. Weller (knee)
DEPTH
R. Atkins, A. Davies, J. Farrar, L. Casboult

HS has this

GOLD COAST​

DRAFT PICKS: 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38, 66, 71, 74, 84

Gold Coast round 1 best 23​

B: C. Ballard, S. Collins, M. Andrew
HB: W. Powell, C. Budarick, D. Macpherson
C: N. Anderson, S. Flanders, B. Ellis
F: M. Rosas, B. King, N. Holman
I/C: D. Swallow, J. Walter (draftee), J. Jeffrey, S. Lemmens, B. Fiorini
INJURED
L. Weller (knee)
DEPTH
R. Atkins, A. Davies, J. Farrar, L. Casboult

I’m probably playing Atkins over fiorini

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B- Budarick Collins Andrew
HB- Powell Ballard Weller
C- Ellis Rowell Swallow
HF- Ainsworth Lukious Humphrey
F- Rosas King Jeffery
FOLL- Witts Anderson Miller
I/C- Walter, Atkins, Lemmens, Davies
Sub- Holman

Andrew Collins Budarick
Long Ballard Atkins
Farrar Anderson Powell
Rosas Lukosius Ainsworth
Swallow King Casboult

Witts Miller Rowell

Flanders Humphrey Jeffrey Holman

Looking for strong seasons from Andrew, Budarick, Farrar (fast, marking wing), Powell (no injuries 🤞), Rosas (speedy, clever high HF), Humphrey and Jeffrey. All with some Dimma imprint. 4 or 5 out of these 7 have full, break out seasons and we could be in finals contention.

B- Budarick Collins Andrew
HB- Powell Ballard Weller
C- Ellis Rowell Swallow
HF- Ainsworth Lukious Humphrey
F- Rosas King Jeffery
FOLL- Witts Anderson Miller
I/C- Walter, Atkins, Lemmens, Davies
Sub- Holman
Good effort.....and I haven't even looked at teams for 2024, but the 1st thing that hit me was ....Swallow on a wing....don't know that I agree with that but atm I don't have an alternative...

Good effort.....and I haven't even looked at teams for 2024, but the 1st thing that hit me was ....Swallow on a wing....don't know that I agree with that but atm I don't have an alternative...
Consider a swap of Swallow and Ainsworth. Ainsworth played up the ground/wing more last season. Swallow is a decent enough forward option for a few goals here and there and some pressure.

Powell could transition more be a winger too. And obviously Weller on return.

Looking forward to seeing the three KPF pronged attack - King, Luko and Walters.

Who would chop Witts out in the ruck?

Maybe Andrew’s?
Jed Walter spent a decent portion of this season relieving in the ruck but Ethan Read was the U18 AA ruckman this year so perhaps he ends up in there eventually. I think we'll see Levi Casboult giving Jarrod Witts a chop out for at least the early portion of next season and then when Walter is ready he'll probably replace Casboult as the power forward who can chop out in the ruck. Wouldn't be surprised if Casboult eventually ended up in the backline either.

Looking forward to seeing the three KPF pronged attack - King, Luko and Walters.

Who would chop Witts out in the ruck?

Maybe Andrew’s?
It will be really interesting what Dimma decides.

One could argue Read and Walter are not ready to pinch in the ruck in next 1-2 years.

Then you could argue to still play Casboult but then Walter probably doesn't play. IMO, Casboult should be just depth this year.

If Andrew puts on extra 5 kg he could possibly. It was his preferred role when drafted.

Then there is Moyle. If we don't play him he is probably gone at the end of season. We could play Witts and Moyle (one substituted later), one resting forward with only Luko and King. Walter with his speed, pressure could possibly join them too.

I would not mind even to have King pinch in in the ruck. With his speed and good below knees he would be handy in the middle for brief stints. Or at least ruck in forward line like his brother does.

B: C budarick S. Collins, M. Andrew
HB: W. Powell, C. Ballard Weller
C: N. Anderson, S. Flanders, Fiorini
F: M. Rosas, B. King, Jed Walter
I/C: D. Swallow, J. Jeffrey, Read, Rogers

IMO either Moyle/Casboult get that 3rd tall role and we give Witts more rest up forward, or Dimma does another Grigg and goes Alex Davies (e.g.) for a 4 mid option, although the game has probably changed a bit since then. Would love to see Mac start to chop out, but he’s really starting to look settled down back and he’s still just too slim to risk.

We’ve got a few different ways of going so it will be interesting to see what happens. The biggest pre-season in years given the new coach, available spots, and the kids turning into men.

Uwland Collins Budarick
Andrew Ballard Jefferies
Powell Miller Weller
Lukosius Walter Ainsworth
Rosas King Sexton

Witts Rowell Anderson

Flanders Humphrey Atkins Farrar

Sub: Swallow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back