Opinion Best 23 Pre Trade/Draft - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with all that.
But a fit fresh Tuohy will be selected ahead of most others?
He will fatigue, and this is his last season, surely.
I wonder if he and his ilk were told that they are essentially back-up; that's quite possible. It'd be interesting being at the interviews for these guys post season, discussing their proposed roles for the following year.

Not anymore he wouldn't be.

I think Zuthrie will take that role with Jack Henry back.

We might be short of small lockdown defenders, but if Zuthrie is a playing as lockdown defender we're f@@@ed. Plays alright in a team defence, but if he's isolated 1v1 or has to shutdown an opposing forward he gets horribly exposed.
Hopefully Mullin (or someone from leftfield) can come on, but otherwise Bews still remains our best option. Kolo can play as a shutdown defender as well, in fact it's what he's best at.

We might be short of small lockdown defenders, but if Zuthrie is a playing as lockdown defender we're f@@@ed. Plays alright in a team defence, but if he's isolated 1v1 or has to shutdown an opposing forward he gets horribly exposed.
Hopefully Mullin (or someone from leftfield) can come on, but otherwise Bews still remains our best option. Kolo can play as a shutdown defender as well, in fact it's what he's best at.
I agree on Zuthrie, 1v1 lockdown on a small isn't his strength. General rebounding like Stewart is more his go.

O'Connor has potential for the lockdown role. I'm guessing it'll be him or Mullin, but Bews will probably get a chance to prove himself at some stage.

Bews only had 8 defensive one-on-ones from his 15 games last season and he only had two tackles inside defensive 50. He isn't a lockdown defender, he's a rebounder (24 rebound 50s) that can't kick.

T - tackles
Ti50 - tackes inside 50
PA - pressure acts
DHPA - defensive half pressure acts
S - spoils
CDOOO - contested defensive one-on-ones
CDL - contested defensive losses
CDL% - contested defensive loss percentage

1707708833240.png

I agree on Zuthrie, 1v1 lockdown on a small isn't his strength. General rebounding like Stewart is more his go.

O'Connor has potential for the lockdown role. I'm guessing it'll be him or Mullin, but Bews will probably get a chance to prove himself at some stage.

Forgot about MOC.
You’re right I reckon it comes down to MOC, Mullin & Bews as a small lockdown defender. Kolo at a pinch.

Bews only had 8 defensive one-on-ones from his 15 games last season and he only had two tackles inside defensive 50. He isn't a lockdown defender, he's a rebounder (24 rebound 50s) that can't kick.

T - tackles
Ti50 - tackes inside 50
PA - pressure acts
DHPA - defensive half pressure acts
S - spoils
CDOOO - contested defensive one-on-ones
CDL - contested defensive losses
CDL% - contested defensive loss percentage

View attachment 1903748

What a load of dross.
Bews made his name and has played his best football shutting down the opposition's best small forwards.

This is how I currently see it. No doubt some of the blokes in the ressies will force their way in through form or injury.

View attachment 1903682

Note: Gary Rohan excluded as I believe he's injured.

That's basically the team we rolled out last year with when everyone was fit (except maybe O'Connor for Parfitt).

I'd like to think that after another offseason at least one new face can push their way in. Whether that's Knevitt, Dempsey, Clark or Mannagh (or someone else entirely), I think you should naturally get one or two new additions to your best 22 each year via improvement to kids, trading, drafting etc.

Writing Bews off maybe a bit premature he's yet to be unseated as our best option for lock down of small forwards IMHO.
Agree. He's been written off before, as have Kolo and ZG. Bews had injuries last season, but still does his job, and is a premiership player.

We have so many players on the cusp of the 22.
The list runs very deep but that does not mean they are quality.

There will be many players who will not be given a shot as it is hard to fit them all in.

It will be very hard on the selection committee this year as most of the players are up and about. I think there will be an exodus of disappointed players at the end of the year. even though we have plenty of players retiring.
But as you say, it won't matter if they are not quality. But with 3-4 retirements possible, we can't have that many changes

This is how I currently see it. No doubt some of the blokes in the ressies will force their way in through form or injury.

View attachment 1903682

Note: Gary Rohan excluded as I believe he's injured.

Parfitt is miles off the 1s based on last years form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Writing Bews off maybe a bit premature he's yet to be unseated as our best option for lock down of small forwards IMHO.
I don't want to write him off but he was left out for rounds 20-22 last year when fit enough to play vfl. At the same time other guys struggling with injury issues like Tuohy and Bruhn were still playing AFL.

Hopefully he can get back to his best but it's really rare for us to leave players we consider in our best 22 in the VFL even for a week when they're coming back from injury let alone 3 (there as a bye in the middle so only 2 games but 3 weeks). And his performance against stkilda when he came back didn't give me confidence.

But as you say, it won't matter if they are not quality. But with 3-4 retirements possible, we can't have that many changes
What concerns me is that we have many players who have not been able to show their full potential. Sadly it will be up to the club to weed them out. O still expect the 5 to 7 list changes

Yep. But 2022 Parfitt would've finished comfortably top 10 in our B&F last year. He's a genuine conundrum.

Im not disputing that because i rate him but his vfl form last year was very average for him. He would need to have a big turnaround to get back in the best 22 and i dont see it.

One game. I must have missed the rest of the year where his vfl form was ordinary. Hes not best 22 unless we get a lot of injuries.

You're only as good as your last game. Pair that with Danger's comments:

"Brandan Parfitt has had a fantastic pre-season, he looks really good running on top of the ground," Dangerfield told the Geelong Advertiser.

"His inside work, I feel like he is ready to really explode."

Im not disputing that because i rate him but his vfl form last year was very average for him. He would need to have a big turnaround to get back in the best 22 and i dont see it.
A fit and confident Parfitt is definitely best 22. Getting both those variables correct has been the challenge.

Parfitt is a match winner, he's that good when he's up!

Not sure he’s a match winner but a very good and underrated player.

Last year he busted his hand and people wondered why his form slumped - try playing AFL one handed?

This year he is back and better than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure he’s a match winner but a very good and underrated player.

Last year he busted his hand and people wondered why his form slumped - try playing AFL one handed?

This year he is back and better than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think he can be from now on, he reminds me of the type of player Greg Williams was, he's going to cut you up around the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back