Analysis Best 5 kicking skills

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy kicked well early in the match against the Cats, low kicks over 30+ meters to the advantage of the forwards.

Beats the hell out of those short floaters to a 50/50 contest he got into the habit of last season, drove me mad because he is so much better than that.

Murphy kicked well early in the match against the Cats, low kicks over 30+ meters to the advantage of the forwards.

Beats the hell out of those short floaters to a 50/50 contest he got into the habit of last season, drove me mad because he is so much better than that.
His kick to Eddie was excellent. Like the commentators said at the time, didn't try to kick it through his chest just put it perfectly weighted onto his chest coming straight on. No hollywood in it trying to bullet in a crass-cutter.

I don't think Eddie could've asked for a more mark-able ball than that coming out of the centre.

What do you mean by loops it?

He has had a habit of clanking one or two this season but I think that's down to getting touch and back to match speed after 2 years off as opposed to having a problem with the skill itself.

As in, he'll have an easy 40 metre pass provided he kicks the ball flat, but he ends up kicking it too high which gives an opposing player the chance to come in and spoil.

Not exclusive to this season either.

As in, he'll have an easy 40 metre pass provided he kicks the ball flat, but he ends up kicking it too high which gives an opposing player the chance to come in and spoil.

Not exclusive to this season either.
I've not noticed that. I would say he usually kicks flatter and has a generally penetrating kick. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Are we talking kicking for goal or kicks in general play? Specifically looking at kicking I50 or around the ground? Long and penetrating or short and clever? All require different skill levels.

Gov is our best shot for goal.
Martin, Murphy our best bringing the ball inside 50.
Doc, Newman, Weitering over long distance.
Eddie, SPS, Martin short and creative.

Definitely missed one in the second quarter. I'll have another look but I'm 99% this is a statistical oversight.

I was thinking it would go on whatever the poster rates as important in a good kick, like I have Martin at one, because he’s an elite field kick off both feet, nails high degree difficulty passes, kicking style looks so smooth and he get the ball spinning perfectly, with great penetration and placement, also very accomplished snap shot, he’s extremely good at the kick going inside 50, which IMO is probably the most important and valuable kick, I’d also say he is our best all round kick, kid can do it all.

When you look at the top 6/7 candidates it really does show how far we are off it in this department.

We would be really low down on a comparison with all other teams top 5.

It’s not the deepest list, it’s true, but there is a lot of untapped potential there, we may not have many absolutely elite kicks, but we do have a lot of good to very good ones and very few straight out poor kicks.
Think guys like Walsh Stocker LOB Williamson SPS could all develop into elite kicks.

Hayden Young would have been a nice addition, would have given us another elite kick, but Kemp, Philp and the 2nd round pick the crows wanted to make the trade happen is a better net result for our list.

Best kicks? No ones perfect but right now:

Weitering
Martin
Docherty
Petrevski-Seton

Williamson and O'Briens' kicks look great upon release, but they don't really hit their marks as much as they should.
Jones isn't too bad.

Matthew Watson was the best kick I this decade and not just because of the distance he extracted.
OK, most kicks were in the VFL but some were genuinely jaw-dropping 70mt kicks to a team-mate running onto the ball.

Weiters no.1 for me and right now it isn't overly close. Long king, penetrating kick, composed kick. He makes me feel safe. He's your classic "The ball just sounds different off his boot" kind of guy.

his kicking is sublime. I think the next part of his progression is for him to use that weapon and be more attacking. We need to get the ball in his hands more and he needs to be encouraged to target the more difficult options. if he could get that working (along with other stuff he does really well) he would position himself firmly in the top 10 - 15 players in the comp.

The right decision maker is just as important as a great kick - combine the 2 and then you have a seriously good player:
- jack martin on his few games is one.
- Weitering so far this year has had both
- Doc would be there

Others:
- The Gov can be great at both
- Newman is a great kick but can have the howler as he takes the hardest option often and if it misses it hurts
- Willo once he gets used to the pace again will be a great kick
- LOB can be a good kick but is inconsistent in games - if he was elite as people say he is then he'd be in the team
- If SPS took more risks he'd be elite - 25m dinky kicks wont cut it as elite

his kicking is sublime. I think the next part of his progression is for him to use that weapon and be more attacking. We need to get the ball in his hands more and he needs to be encouraged to target the more difficult options. if he could get that working (along with other stuff he does really well) he would position himself firmly in the top 10 - 15 players in the comp.

Its been his major improvement this year. no longer looks side-wards and wants to hit an attacking target with a hard-punched kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The right decision maker is just as important as a great kick - combine the 2 and then you have a seriously good player:
- jack martin on his few games is one.
- Weitering so far this year has had both
- Doc would be there

Others:
- The Gov can be great at both
- Newman is a great kick but can have the howler as he takes the hardest option often and if it misses it hurts
- Willo once he gets used to the pace again will be a great kick
- LOB can be a good kick but is inconsistent in games - if he was elite as people say he is then he'd be in the team
- If SPS took more risks he'd be elite - 25m dinky kicks wont cut it as elite
Glad someone else sees what I do in LOB and SPS. SPS doesn't kick it more than 20 yards most times, and while he hits those targets, I don't see how you call him elite. Nickle and diming down the field doesn't get you far and that's all he does. LOB as well, surely if he were as great a kick as is made out there's no way he's not in the starting 22 every week. Potential to be elite? Sure, but elite now? No chance. Same goes for SPS.

The thing with SPS, as with Martin, is not only about hitting the mark when there's no pressure on, but hitting up targets when there is.
I don't care if SPS's kicks only go 25mts. if they can find a team-mate when in congestion.

I don't care so much what players' kicks look like when they're clear, if they then lose their bearings when in traffic.

In no real order;

Martin
Doc
Weiters
Cuningham
SPS

HMs

Eddie
Willo
murph

McGov obviously a beautiful set shot.

Not sure 24 months ago I would have even needed to consider HMs, would have struggled to find five.

I’ve thought about it and now it’s got me worried. I’m pretty happy with Murph, Mitch and Eddie. I need to see Martin live before I add him to my list. We’re filled to the brim with a plethora of alright kicks and that’s a worry.

Don’t underestimate the guy running out of the back half or from a clearance and splitting the opposition with a pinpoint pass.

So many over the years. I’m looking at you Braddles, Diesel and Doully. Do we have anyone of that standard now?

Top 5 for me are:

1. Weitering - hits low flat bullets and has a good long penetrating kick. Feel he’s growing confidence in using his kick as an offensive weapon.

2. Martin - just weights his kicks beautifully, especially into the F50

3. Eddie - seems to make the right decisions all the time and kicks to advantage. I often think his left foot is better than his right.

4. SPS - our most composed kick of the footy.

5. Stocker - looks to be one of a few dual sided player on our list.

Honourable mentions to Willo (expect to move him up the list as he build confidence), Gov (best set shot), Cunners.

Best set shot...... by a MILE..... Kennedy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back