Best 5!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Just wondering who you guys regard the best in the the different leagues. Choose 5 ballers from the NBL and NBA to be in your best 5. Give reasons too. Separate of course otherwise NBL players wouldnt get in at all. An NBL side and an NBA side.

ok.. best five... as opposed to my favourite five...

NBA..

C. Shaq
no doubt here... unstoppable, without peer... the MAN... the centre position is really weak at the moment in the league... mourning would be next best, but may have medical worries... mutombo has nites where he doesnt even score.... d-robinson is too old...

PF. Chris Webber
duncan, b.grant, karl malone, rasheed wallace.... its a tough field... but, i'd take the dominating Cwebb, cos of his versatility, better ball handler than the others...

SF. Tracy Mcgrady
damn.. this one was really really tough... carter, pierce, nowitzki.... standout should be kevin garnett... but, i'd take tracy... has more of a killer instinct... can really dominate.. dont think KG can do that consistently...

SG. Allen Iverson
toss up between Kobe and Allen... wanted to put AI as a PG.. but, hes not... really could put either.. but, i'd take allen.. really lead the 76'ers last yr.. played injured, got pounded everynite... but, still put up awesome numbers and to lead the league in scoring & steals... a little champion ~

PG. Gary Payton
kidd, starbury, stevie francis... still think the glove is still the best PG in the game... beats Kidd in shooting, scoring, defense, less turnovers...

hmm.. nbl in a sec...

Originally posted by coxon
ok.. best five... as opposed to my favourite five...

NBA..

C. Shaq
no doubt here... unstoppable, without peer... the MAN... the centre position is really weak at the moment in the league... mourning would be next best, but may have medical worries... mutombo has nites where he doesnt even score.... d-robinson is too old...

PF. Chris Webber
duncan, b.grant, karl malone, rasheed wallace.... its a tough field... but, i'd take the dominating Cwebb, cos of his versatility, better ball handler than the others...

SF. Tracy Mcgrady
damn.. this one was really really tough... carter, pierce, nowitzki.... standout should be kevin garnett... but, i'd take tracy... has more of a killer instinct... can really dominate.. dont think KG can do that consistently...

SG. Allen Iverson
toss up between Kobe and Allen... wanted to put AI as a PG.. but, hes not... really could put either.. but, i'd take allen.. really lead the 76'ers last yr.. played injured, got pounded everynite... but, still put up awesome numbers and to lead the league in scoring & steals... a little champion ~

PG. Gary Payton
kidd, starbury, stevie francis... still think the glove is still the best PG in the game... beats Kidd in shooting, scoring, defense, less turnovers...

hmm.. nbl in a sec...

I like your 5 but geez man...no Jordan, did you hear that he is back?? :D Also no consideration of Hill at SF? I know he had last year off with injury but is back this year. I think we could do a favourite as well because when i do my 5 i hate having to put Shaq in it :D

hahaha... MJ is tough one..
in a team like washington, i'm sure he's gonna have some v.good stats....

my prediction.. something like 28ppg, 7apg, 5rpg, 2spg...
damn.. they are looking good...

my only worry about MJ is, if he will really play 82 games..
niggling injuries... or he might just sit out some games (eg. like that lemieux comeback guy in the NHL)... which might be a bummer for fantasy b-ballers...

hahaha... MJ is tough one..
in a team like washington, i'm sure he's gonna have some v.good stats....

my prediction.. something like 28ppg, 7apg, 5rpg, 2spg...
damn.. they are looking good...

my only worry about MJ is, if he will really play 82 games..
niggling injuries... or he might just sit out some games (eg. like that lemieux comeback guy in the NHL)... which might be a bummer for fantasy b-ballers...

Yeah i think he will put up some great numbers this year...he says he wants to play every game and its not like Jordan to just sit out games but if he does it will be tough on Fantasy b ballers like myself who is currently having a conundrum to include him in my team..

Originally posted by jod23

Also no consideration of Hill at SF? I know he had last year off with injury but is back this year. I think we could do a favourite as well because when i do my 5 i hate having to put Shaq in it :D

hmm.. i dont rate Hill that highly tho... he'd still be behind mcgrady, KB, carter for me...

yes, a fave 5 would be good... then i dont have to put farken shaq or payton in there...

my Fave 5 would read something like this..

C. Dikembe Mutombo
PF. Chris Webber
SF. Latrell Sprewell
SG. Allen Iverson
PG. Stephon Marbury

hmm.. i dont rate Hill that highly tho... he'd still be behind mcgrady, KB, carter for me...

yes, a fave 5 would be good... then i dont have to put farken shaq or payton in there...

my Fave 5 would read something like this..

C. Dikembe Mutombo
PF. Chris Webber
SF. Latrell Sprewell
SG. Allen Iverson
PG. Stephon Marbury

Still no Mike???? Oh and who did you put in your VGM team?

ahh... well, VGM.... opening games..
have to put MJ there... national TV... madison square garden... whole nation watching.. i'm sure he'll put in a blinder.. to show everyone he's back...

my team...

PG Nick Van Exel, DEN
SG Tracy McGrady, ORL
SF Michael Jordan, WAS
PF Antoine Walker, BOS
C Shaquille O'Neal, LAL
Coach Jim O'Brien, BOS

one thing i hoped for that VGM would do.. but they havent..
i was hoping they'd up the values significantly more..
so that, ppl are forced to put in some hacks & crappier bench players...

ahh... well, VGM.... opening games..
have to put MJ there... national TV... madison square garden... whole nation watching.. i'm sure he'll put in a blinder.. to show everyone he's back...

my team...

PG Nick Van Exel, DEN
SG Tracy McGrady, ORL
SF Michael Jordan, WAS
PF Antoine Walker, BOS
C Shaquille O'Neal, LAL
Coach Jim O'Brien, BOS

one thing i hoped for that VGM would do.. but they havent..
i was hoping they'd up the values significantly more..
so that, ppl are forced to put in some hacks & crappier bench players...

They'll go up though as the season goes, Shaq is now worth around 22 i think but by Xman he will be nearing 30 prolly. Have you played VGM before?? If not ill give you a hint. Choose a weak SG as they all pretty much do one thing and thats score, whereas centres and power forwards are the most prolific scoring big numbers and grabbing plenty of boards.

That way you will maxamise your points, although they have done a couple of weird moves with Carter and T-Mac in the SG section...

Here my best 5 before i go to bed..

C Shaquille O'Neal Ok so an obvious choice, easily the best centre in the league with the demise of Ewing, Robinson and Olajuwon...he now stands alone. Closest competition would be Mourning and Mutombo.

PF Chris Webber just in front of Tim Duncan, this one was tough but gave it to C-Webb for his ball handling skills and his presence. Webber intimidates other players more than what Duncan does.

SF Michael Jordan hes the greatest player in the world and looks to be playing as SF this year so no contest. Garnett, T-Mac, Hill, Carter all stiff....but they did have to go up against MJ.

SG Allen Iverson boiled down to Iverson v Kobe but i gave it to last years MVP. He's quicker, a better scorer and certainly more explosive, killer crossover move too. Kobe is no pushover though...

PG Jason Kidd gave it to Kidd just in front of Payton. Kidd can do it all and racks up Triple Doubles regularly, he's also a great floor leader.

Will do my NBL team tommorow..

My Best Five are:

C Shaq (LA Lakers) - Obvious. The Best Player in the League.

PF Karl Malone (Utah) - Included Karl more on his past. He may be a little old, but I can't think of any PF as good as him.

SF Tracy McGrady (Orlando) - Picked him over Jordan only because I'm not sure how Jordan will handle his return.

SG Allen Iverson (Philadelphia) - Almost took Philly all the way last year.

PG Kobe (LA Lakers) - OUt of Position maybe, but he is going to become one of the all-time greats, whether at SG or PG.

Coach Phil Jackson - He is the best coach in the NBA and surrounds himself with the best staff possible. He is successful because he builds a successful team, on and off the court.

NBA

C Shaq - No surprises here, would be ahead of Zo and Mutombo.
PF Tim Duncan - In a close one over KG and CWebb
SF Vince Carter - One of my favourite players
SG Kobe Bryant - Another favourite
PG Allan Iverson - I luv the guy on how he carries the team (eg NBA finals)

NBL

C Mark Bradtke - Not being bias, but he would have to be the best centre going around her in oz
PF Melvin Thomas - Very consistant year after year
SF Jason Smith - Very good player, will b sorely missed by the Titans, will b out untill christmas (I think??)
SG Andrew Gaze - An absolute icon of the game
PG Shane Heal - Can be fiesty at times but can shoot the lights out on any given night.

Originally posted by jod23

They'll go up though as the season goes, Shaq is now worth around 22 i think but by Xman he will be nearing 30 prolly. Have you played VGM before?? If not ill give you a hint. Choose a weak SG as they all pretty much do one thing and thats score, whereas centres and power forwards are the most prolific scoring big numbers and grabbing plenty of boards.

That way you will maxamise your points, although they have done a couple of weird moves with Carter and T-Mac in the SG section...

yeap, was in it last yr... agreed..

usually use up most points for C, PF, and PG's... pick up alot more stats... well, last yr, it was automatic Shaq, or Duncan for C.... depending who was playing that day... PG's rack up the points & assists & rebounds & steals (ball hogs like payton, marbury, cassell are great)

thats the reason why i shy away from guys like ray allen/stackhouse/finley, and at times, iverson & carter... only get points (and they take alot of shots to get those points).... SF's are similar... tho, there are those that get high rebound numbers... marion/KG/mcgrady...

so i think mcgrady is a steal this yr.. in the SG category... this guy gets alot of rebounds & blocks as well.... tho, his rebound count may be down this yr, cos of ewing/grant/hill clogging up the key...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NBL.... well, havent been watching much on tv... so i might make some major omissions...

anyway...

C. Mark Bradtke - cant think of any other strong candidate for centre really... best rebounder... rogers/melmeth/anstey/dwight.... actually, i like dwight... but, they arent close to bradtke...

PF. Melvin Thomas - consistent, strong, reliable player.. havent seen him play a bad game... not overly dominant, hes more like a silent assasin who racks up the numbers, and wins...

SF. Robert Rose - the best all-round player... this man keeps doing it... who would u rather take the final shot in a tight game?!

Andrew Gaze - still has it... still is the premiere standout shooter/scorer in the game...

PG. Ricky Grace - altho d-mac is the top assists & steals man... dont like it when he shoots... and, only beat ricky in assists last yr by 'point something'.. so that counts for jack... was close to selecting rucker or heal.... they both are better shooters, but i'll give the edge to ricky.. donno why... seems more consistent & steadier...

damn.. this team looks old....

yeap, was in it last yr... agreed..

usually use up most points for C, PF, and PG's... pick up alot more stats... well, last yr, it was automatic Shaq, or Duncan for C.... depending who was playing that day... PG's rack up the points & assists & rebounds & steals (ball hogs like payton, marbury, cassell are great)

thats the reason why i shy away from guys like ray allen/stackhouse/finley, and at times, iverson & carter... only get points (and they take alot of shots to get those points).... SF's are similar... tho, there are those that get high rebound numbers... marion/KG/mcgrady...

so i think mcgrady is a steal this yr.. in the SG category... this guy gets alot of rebounds & blocks as well.... tho, his rebound count may be down this yr, cos of ewing/grant/hill clogging up the key...

I agree, C, PF and PG's are the most worthwhile. SG take way too many shots and get no assists or rebounds. Thats why T-Mac will be a regular in my team this year. I use Iverson on the odd occasion when he is playing a suspect defensive unit, he could go off for 40 or 45 points. I did the same last season with Duncan and Shaq, just kept switching with whoever wasnt playing that day and on the odd occasion that they both didnt play i went with Mutombo.

I put 2 VGM teams in this year..

Nash DAL
T-Mac ORL
Jordan WAS
Wallace POR
Shaq LAL
Carlisle IND

&

Van Exel DEN
Bryant LAL
Jordan WAS
Jermaine O'Neal IND
Shaq LAL
Poppvich SA

Jordan and Shaq with both be regulars i expect as will T-Mac, the rest will depend on who playing. Nash maybe a mistake, he was a steal last season but now he is sharing the point with Hardaway so his minutes may go down..

My NBL best 5

Paul Rogers - without peer at the centre position, was the league MVP 2 season ago and although not quite as good as Bradtke at rebounding, makes up for it with his all round game and scoring ability.

Melvin Thomas - we all agree here, cant remember him playing a bad game, goes about it quietly but by the end of the game usually has big numbers.

Sam McKinnon - toughest of the 5 positions as Jason Smith and Robert Rose were also candidates. But when McKinnon is on he is tough to stop, a year or two ago it would have been Rose no question.

Andrew Gaze - can still do it but for how much longer..expect him to be the leading scorer again this season.

Ricky Grace - close call between him and D-Mac but Grace's scoring ability tipped the scales. They can both play D, dish out assists but when D-Mac shoots....ewww. Grace for me.

Best NBL 5

Centre:

Bradtke: Was better than Gaze last year. Best centre the NBL's ever had and could win the MVP this year

Paul Rogers: The second best centre in the league, and better than any power forward goin around

McKinnon: Will one day be the best player in the country. Most all round player in the country. Will captain the Boomers

Gaze: Do I need a reason??

Rucker: One of the best imports of all time. Wins games by himself

Rose, Maher, D-Mac, Heal and Bruton all just missed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back