Best 6 players in the first half of the season

pistol17

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
How can anyone say Pavlich shouldnt be in that top 6. I agree with the list with the exception of McLeod. Surely guys like Campbell Brown, Franklin, Kane Kornes, Hodge or Fletcher just to name a few. Nothing against McLeod but i think there are some guys with a bit better form.

Prismall32

Cancelled
May 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary Ablett is very good, but if his name was Gary Jones and his father was not an absolute legend he would not be in top 10.
The Age posted his stats the other day from last 5 games. 2 of them were very good, the other 3 would be average games for Judd.
That is a ludicrous remark! You obviously haven't seen him play - forget stats for a bit - he will dispose of the ball accurately or score with two players dragging him down. Uncanny skills. Nothing to do with his name!

people really need 2 have a serious look at g.ablett he is a fu**en front runner, when geelong are goin well he is going well, but where is he when the game is to be won???? hiding in a pocket doin nothing, he waits for the likes of bartel,corey,chapman 2 stand up and win the cats tight games he doesnt do that!

so get off G.Ablett for being a star, front runner all the way!!!!!!!!!!

Did you see the final against Essendon in 2004 when Gaz had a hand in every one of our goals in the first half? Or the game against the Roos in 2004 when he kicked two goals from 40m plus into a howling gale with a wet ball in the last quarter to win the game for us? Or his effort against Freo at Subi last year when he was scragged every time the ball came near him, yet still booted six? Or the game against Brisbane, when he had 24 touches in the 2nd half, and 14 in the last quarter, and kicked what might be close to goal of the year? Or the game against Adelaide, when his poise and sure ball handling ability in the clinches is what probably won the game for us? Yup, the guy really hides away when the game needs to be won, doesn't he?

jodo27

All Australian
Jul 29, 2003
Mentone
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Fletcher would have to be in the Top 6.

Pav and McLeod definitely not and ...

Judd doesn't get in just because he is Judd. We are talking about this years performance and Kerr has been better over the journey and when Kerr has dropped off Judd has been just average.

james_aloni

Senior List
May 19, 2007
some where
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Pav and McLeod definitely not and ...

Judd doesn't get in just because he is Judd. We are talking about this years performance and Kerr has been better over the journey and when Kerr has dropped off Judd has been just average.

mcloed has had a shocker, not one of his bests years so far.

Brilliant

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Franklin has had 2 good games. Yeah, hes the next messiah.

Yet managed to average more goals per game tham Pavlich? What does that say for pav if Franklins only had 2 good games?

PS - They've probably performed about equal, but Franklin having played less than 50 games stands out more i guess.

Mar 13, 2006
Perth Central
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NY Giants, UM Wolverines
Yet managed to average more goals per game tham Pavlich? What does that say for pav if Franklins only had 2 good games?

PS - They've probably performed about equal, but Franklin having played less than 50 games stands out more i guess.
One has played in a team with outstanding midfield with pin-point delivery. The other has played with a brainless midfield who couldnt kick over a jam tin.

Think about it.

Alphanumeric

Premiership Player
Jun 29, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors

Give me a break. Yes his stats look good. But even I could get stats like his if I was running around Essendons back-line without an opponent.

McLoud started off well but has dropped off. Gary Abblet is just the flavour of the month.

My top 6.

1. Judd
2. Bartel
3. C. Cornes
4. Johnson
5. Pavlich
6. McIntosh

Phaze Away

All Australian
Jun 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jeez, you say G. Ablett isn't as good as they say and you get 10 posts from Geelong supporters saying why you are an idiot and why your club sucks. Yes, he's a good player but 3rd on the list may be a bit too high when there have been better players
(prepares for geelong fans to come and disagree with him)

flackjack

All Australian
Mar 29, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
mcloed has had a shocker, not one of his bests years so far.

McLeod has had a shocker this year so far? An uninformed opinion from a uninformed source...
Hasn't been his best year averaging 25+ possessions, kicking goals ...etc, but he plays in the backlines these days, and is the playmaker of the team. There wouldn't be many too many better backline players as Mcleod at the moment, so I dunno what you're smoking. He's not top 6 at the moment, but to say he's had a shocker couldn't be more wrong.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Give me a break. Yes his stats look good. But even I could get stats like his if I was running around Essendons back-line without an opponent.

McLoud started off well but has dropped off. Gary Abblet is just the flavour of the month.

My top 6.

1. Judd
2. Bartel
3. C. Cornes
4. Johnson
5. Pavlich
6. McIntosh
3 weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but he's just dropped off lately.
Johnson should definitely be in there though.

Dandy_GO

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2005
Yunnan, China
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Sunderland
McLeod has had a shocker this year so far? An uninformed opinion from a uninformed source...
Hasn't been his best year averaging 25+ possessions, kicking goals ...etc, but he plays in the backlines these days, and is the playmaker of the team. There wouldn't be many too many better backline players as Mcleod at the moment, so I dunno what you're smoking. He's not top 6 at the moment, but to say he's had a shocker couldn't be more wrong.

Agreed. After round 4, he was the brownlow favourite. Had a purple patch of 3 games where he averaged 31 disposals. Since then his form has dropped off, but he's still been very very damaging and has averaged 23 disposals a game. To say he's had a shocker is pure crap, and particularly strange coming from a Bulldogs fan, as Macca picked up 35 touches and absolutely slaughtered footscray in round 2. I don't think he's in the top 6, or even top 10, but he's having a very good year, and I'm very surprised how quickly people have forgotten his early season form, where he was EASILY top 6. I believe he's currently 6th or 7th on the coaches award ladder.

djlowz

All Australian
Mar 24, 2007
Narnia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
People are idiots if they don't think Ablett should be at no. 2. He's been a star from the get go, living up to a name like that must have been extremely hard and I can tell you what he has certainly exceeded my expectations. This year he has simply been phenomenal.

All it takes is one person who obviously hasn't seen much of him play to say that he is just 'the flavor of the month' and then you get a bunch of other morons who can't think or have an opinion for themselves to jump on board. Go watch some Geelong games idiots..

Big Nasty

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2006
Gippsland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cats VFL
People are idiots if they don't think Ablett should be at no. 2. He's been a star from the get go, living up to a name like that must have been extremely hard and I can tell you what he has certainly exceeded my expectations. This year he has simply been phenomenal.

All it takes is one person who obviously hasn't seen much of him play to say that he is just 'the flavor of the month' and then you get a bunch of other morons who can't think or have an opinion for themselves to jump on board. Go watch some Geelong games idiots..
Most people saying that crap probably don't have Fox sports, so they wouldnt have seen the past 8 games. As I've pointed out before, The reason Ablett's been so great this year is because he is an on baller now, and not a small forward like the previous years.

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
No sign of Jon Brown or Shaun Burgoyne.

I thought these guys were in the same class as Judd.

That bubble burst pretty quickly, didn't it?

davey_magik

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 27, 2004
central vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
west ham
No sign of Jon Brown or Shaun Burgoyne.

I thought these guys were in the same class as Judd.

That bubble burst pretty quickly, didn't it?

I think that was decided a while ago Gunnar that Judd was the better player.
No point trying to troll people who said Burgoyne/Brown were the equal or better than Judd, they were obviously wrong and probably don't care anymore.

Back