Best Aboriginal player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
As a Swans fan there are many indigenous players from my club who have been absolute superstars...

BUT...

Probably the best indigenous player I have ever seen is Michael Long.

I remember being at the MCG in 1999 for a Swans v Dons game... 50K at the ground...

And whenever Michael Long touched the ball there was an 'uplift' throughout the MCG as the crowd raised to sit on the edge of their seats.

He was skilled, fast, and explosive.

And much loved...

In the last 40 years, only one has consistently been in the top 5 dominant players of the league for over a decade (very few players have).

Buddy Franklin.

While at first I though your comment was in jest... on closer inspection...

I'll admit, you could be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Best aboriginal player I've seen' seeing as the majority of posters weren't cognitive in the 80s or early 90s.

Buddy Franklin has been so good he's probably underrated sometimes. He's genuinely talked about as the best player in the game for the last 10-15 years. No other indigenous player gets close to that.. not many any colour players get close to that.

As a Swans fan there are many indigenous players from my club who have been absolute superstars...

BUT...

Probably the best indigenous player I have ever seen is Michael Long.

I remember being at the MCG in 1999 for a Swans v Dons game... 50K at the ground...

And whenever Michael Long touched the ball there was an 'uplift' throughout the MCG as the crowd raised to sit on the edge of their seats.

He was skilled, fast, and explosive.

And much loved...
OP is taking the piss surely. I do not know how someone could make an argument for GOAT of any category based on a game they attended in 1999.

Though it was mainly due to injuries curtailing him, Long's football career outside of the 1993 and 1995 seasons was not as good as the hype around him would suggest.

EDIT: The game OP attended.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1999/051619990905.html

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back