Best acts on a footy field

Fremantle's display on and off-field during Fitzroy's last game.

By rumour, the bastards at AFL House wouldn't even kick in a little funding so Fremantle football club paid for it all themselves and their fans clapped Fitzroy off.

For balance, West Coast Eagle fans cheering off Smith in his 300th and final game for us should be mentioned too, a Bulldogs finals loss in Perth.

Acinath

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
In the Round 17, 2006 clash between Essendon and Brisbane Lions Brisbane ruckman Jamie Charman fell heavily in a contest, seriously injuring his shoulder.

David Hille stayed and comforting his opponent whilst waving his arms to get the club doctor there rather than chasing a kick was a rare example of sportsmanship in the modern game

This one sticks out for me, still remember it so clearly. Absolutely class from Hille.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
In the Round 17, 2006 clash between Essendon and Brisbane Lions Brisbane ruckman Jamie Charman fell heavily in a contest, seriously injuring his shoulder.

David Hille stayed and comforting his opponent whilst waving his arms to get the club doctor there rather than chasing a kick was a rare example of sportsmanship in the modern game

I remember that, very good sportsmanship.

I think Sheedy got stuck into Hille, saying he should of forgotten about Charman, and got on with the game. Thought Sheedy was serious, but you never knew with the back pocket plumber, maybe he was pulling Hille’s leg.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geelong were the ones responsible for giving a cap to the Auskick kids on the victory dias on grand final day. Originally they wanted to give the kids a bag of goodies each, but the AFL nixed that idea, so they settled on a cap each instead.
And now the AFL give them Rompingwins

The Cats and Swans ran through a shared banner in 2015 when Adam Goodes made his return to football to show respect and unity towards Goodes:

DGN8cOIUQAAA9bm.jpg

The Cats and Saints joined forces in 2013 to raise funds for Casey Tutungi, a local footballer from South Barwon and the Geelong VFL team who suffered a spine injury in a local match during the season and became a quadriplegic

w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

I was at that game, was going to mention it too...

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Richmond under Wallace invented the giving of footballs to the crowd after games.
Wow really? I thought this could have dated back way earlier. Pretty cool!

I always felt sorry for the kids who got a s**t cap or something though.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone remember the 2013ish game where I believe West Coast were playing Geelong, in Geelong, and an Eagles player ran the wrong way after a break, kicked it long under zero pressure, and the Cats kicked a goal which put them up?

Tom Hawkins went up to the player and didn't have a go, laugh at him, or call him a dickhead. He just said 'don't worry about it mate, don't worry.'

From memory it was a youngster.

More interesting than some player like er, pulling up another player. lol.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Does anyone remember the 2013ish game where I believe West Coast were playing Geelong, in Geelong, and an Eagles player ran the wrong way after a break, kicked it long under zero pressure, and the Cats kicked a goal which put them up?

Tom Hawkins went up to the player and didn't have a go, laugh at him, or call him a dickhead. He just said 'don't worry about it mate, don't worry.'

From memory it was a youngster.

More interesting than some player like er, pulling up another player. lol.
In 2009 against Geelong at Subi, Jamie McNamara kicked it the wrong way and Geelong kicked a goal that killed our momentum. We didn't play at the cattery in 2013. We did in 2014 and got smashed.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
images

6ULiP8RXb7svdikBGylwwTESeaBLPCDLxMxPPPHz4iNhO_8mki83Xmq6d9ofQfn94fg8lyFFr8KNUWpG4tV-bg5P0VaoNf8eIkemrV42lXKiwP6RUICFsEIf9dVZrMjq7ovvqc-cz7nDhX3mWV_5cg2yn6exlZ7W8L9uEAUcT52JRBB7vrI9YSvQHP71ia0VPFMQ3EdCjkjCZpIc=w458-h321-nc

After Troy Broadbridge's heroic and tragic passing on his honeymoon, saving his wife from the horrific Tsunami that hit Phuket/Asia, The Demons letting his widow Trish be a big part of his memorial game, including signing the song after the win against Essendon.

Still hurts thinking about poor Troy all these years later, and the other tragedies that befall the Demons in the following years.

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
Anything that Jacko did.When Brownie was coaching Sth Freo ,Jacko was giving his own team mates a hard time. Mal didn,t muck around. He went up and smacked him in the teeth.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton

I remember Freo's Antoni Grover doing a similar thing

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anything that Jacko did.When Brownie was coaching Sth Freo ,Jacko was giving his own team mates a hard time. Mal didn,t muck around. He went up and smacked him in the teeth.
* me, Mal Brown was coaching Souths while Jacko was playing?

My old man tells me Browny would routinely go off his nut, obviously, and hit his own players when player-coaching and when he was just a coach, they set up a specific marquee on the boundary to stop him getting involved on the ground.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
For balance, West Coast Eagle fans cheering off Smith in his 300th and final game for us should be mentioned too, a Bulldogs finals loss in Perth.

We've had a few of those by chance. That was Scott West's 300th game also but he played another season and a bit. Robert Harvey's 350th (but not final) game was in Perth, so was Hird and Sheedy's final game back when people still respected Hird immensely.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
**** me, Mal Brown was coaching Souths while Jacko was playing?

My old man tells me Browny would routinely go off his nut, obviously, and hit his own players when player-coaching and when he was just a coach, they set up a specific marquee on the boundary to stop him getting involved on the ground.

My old told me about "rotten" Ronnie Boucher at Swans who simialrly sounded like a menace and then lo and behold I found myself sharing a table with him at a President's lunch before a game a few years ago. 192 cm 102 kg ruckman in the 1970s when that was ruckman height and would be 120-130kg+ now. Genuinely fear for anyone that dates his daughter, should he have one.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
My old told me about "rotten" Ronnie Boucher at Swans who simialrly sounded like a menace and then lo and behold I found myself sharing a table with him at a President's lunch before a game a few years ago. 192 cm 102 kg ruckman in the 1970s when that was ruckman height and would be 120-130kg+ now. Genuinely fear for anyone that dates his daughter, should he have one.
Wow, Boucher was originally from North Albany. Interesting.

Back