Best AFL school in Sydney (Northern Beaches)

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi all,

Sorry to intrude on your board but I thought you guys and girls would probably be best placed to answer a question of mine!

I'm a massive AFL fan having come from Perth and 5 years in Melbourne. Played at a reasonably high level in Perth inc colts, didn't miss representing WA at both carnivals by much and played with Buddy through school and colts footy, often playing second fiddle in the forward line! Stopping growing at 6'1 at 13 years of age and a fair bit of laziness is probably what stopped me progressing any further but I have high hopes for my little one given my wife has some great athletic genes

Given all the above, we've started looking at junior and senior schools. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some private schools on the North Shore or Northern Beaches with really good sports and in particular AFL programs?

Thanks for any help! Good luck for the 2021 season, lets hope Bud gets out on the park for a good amount of the season

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all,

Sorry to intrude on your board but I thought you guys and girls would probably be best placed to answer a question of mine!

I'm a massive AFL fan having come from Perth and 5 years in Melbourne. Played at a reasonably high level in Perth inc colts, didn't miss representing WA at both carnivals by much and played with Buddy through school and colts footy, often playing second fiddle in the forward line! Stopping growing at 6'1 at 13 years of age and a fair bit of laziness is probably what stopped me progressing any further but I have high hopes for my little one given my wife has some great athletic genes

Given all the above, we've started looking at junior and senior schools. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some private schools on the North Shore or Northern Beaches with really good sports and in particular AFL programs?

Thanks for any help! Good luck for the 2021 season, lets hope Bud gets out on the park for a good amount of the season
I’m afraid it’s very slim pickings as far as AFL is concerned. I haven’t lived on the Northern Beaches for several years but as far as State schools are concerned I believe that Narrabeen Sports High still have a footy program but I doubt it’s anywhere the quality of what you’d be looking for.

As far as private schools are concerned, most focus on Rugby Union but I have heard that Riverview’s program is probably the best going around (for AFL).

You may be better looking at the junior AFL clubs in your area - Mosman Swans, Willoughby Wildcats and St Ives for the North Shore and Manly Bombers and Pittwater Tigers for the Northern Beaches.

Of course, the real best option if your kid is any good is to see if you can get him into the Swans Academy.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Everything above is about right. Narrabeen is the public school to go to for sports. Balgowlah Boys was into all sports but it's a bit of a wasteland now from what i'm hearing. Riverview definately the pick of the private schools.
Local comps getting better as more kids go through the academy and filter out once their time is up. I'd find it highly unlikely you'd make the AFL from NSW without the help of an academy. If your kid has talent and determination he will be 'found' at any of the clubs mentioned above. The academy raises good people, not just good footballers - thats an education in itself

Back