Best AFL Side

Remove this Banner Ad

mtffafl

Debutant
Dec 22, 1999
Just because I want to see the reactions to this, here is what I'd consider the best team of the AFL currently.

B: Akermanis B Graham B Pickett
HB: S West G Jackovich N Buckley
C: B Cousins P Bell W Campbell
HF: N Daffy W Carey S Camporeale
F: M Mercuri M Lloyd M Richardson
Foll: M Allan A Fletcher S Crawford
Inter: J Leppitsch C McKernan M Voss
R Harvey

A few notes about this team.
1. Carey ***JUST*** made it as the best CHF

2. Hird wasn't listed as he'll get injured within 3 weeks

3. There appear to be a larger proportion of Brisbane players than I'd usually expect. But I believe their positions are justified.

4. If it wasn't for recent tragic events, Anthony Stevens would have made the team ahead of Robert Harvey, whose best days are behind him.

5. No Adelaide, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda or Sydney players were good enough to make the team - apologies to D Cresswell and possibly Tredrea.

6. I don't think all of those listed are n the best 22 AFL players, but they are the best for their position - i.e. Byron Pickett...

7. Leppitsch is only there cause some backup is needed for the defence.

8. Several of those players I am not truly sure that they belong - Pickett, Camporeale, Mercuri are all questionable.

That's it
smile.gif

Any comments (I'm expecting something from Power Mad about the weak-when-the-opposition-is-looking-but-really-good-at-sniping-when-their-back-is-turned Wanganeen not being there)

Comments, suggestions, alterations most welcome... I just thought I'd start a bit of controversy
smile.gif

Matt
http://www.dreamwater.com/mtffafl/
MTFFAFL - Free Fantasy Australian Football

Cuz doesn't usually play on a wing, but what the hell! He seems to be able to play everywhere else!

After the weekend I could probably suggest a few more of my boys, but I don't want to be too biased
wink.gif
(Wasn't Kemp fantastic on Friday? Not to mention Joey & Roo Matera... and Scotty....)

Daffy????

DAFFY??????

And someone thought that I had been hitting the turps to hard in another post!

O'loughlin showed tonight he has more talent in his right pinky than daffy could ever hope to dream of.

Daffy???? I need a drink.........
confused.gif

Oloughlin has to be in the side......and i know it's only early but a lot of people will have Fitzgerald in their side at the end of the year.
I watched his few reserve grade games last year, he's got all the skills......just needs to put on a little weight.

I actually agree O'Loughlin could have been in the side.

I missed him when I went through it...

His class and talent were never in question, but he has never really consistently delivered.

Maybe this year is his year, but until he does produce at his high standards for the year, he might just miss out.

I still stand my decision of having Daffy in there.

It is Wayne Campbell I'd question. Everyone knows he is a showpony that runs past and never gets the hardball... maybe it was an error of judgement to put him in.

In state of origin games, he is a real dissapointment cause his skills aren't as high as some others, and they are good enough they don't need to use him all the time.

So maybe it would be O'Loughlin in, Campbell out.

As for Fitzgerald, I liked the look of him in the Ansett/Practice match he got injured in last year, but I don't quite think he'll make the team for a while yet.

He is a fair way down the pecking order.

Eagle Fan - who is Joey? Sorry, I cannot work out who you mean.

Peter Matera is passed it (no offence intended, but he always was a slimy cheat anyway).

Phil - might sneak a bench spot to go into a pocket, but he probably doesn't quite make it
frown.gif

Well, that's my view
smile.gif

Matt http://www.dreamwater.com/mtffafl/

PS - maybe my view is distorted by always looking at player's values based on their stats (I do this for my fantasy league).

That is why I first included Campbell in there. But I'd rather someone with a high work ethic, who might not necessarily produce the stats...

1) you must have an EHD (essendon hater degree)- Hird will play the season out, win a brownlow and prove you and all the other Tall poppy inbreds wrong.
2) Daffy and Camporeale suck. Id much rather have Chris Grant and Hird who cld kill either of those little wussies.
3)Carey only just made it on to your side. You must be able to think of heaps of players who "almost" beat him then ?? let me guess Kouta ?(lol).
4) Ben Graham as FB ??? I'll assume thats a typo.
5)Mercuri questionable ??? He's a total superstar,all australian premership player. He can turn a game in minutes like few AFL players can. Pickett is worthy after last years effort.
6)Backup in defense ???? Screw Leppitcsh id rather a) Guy Mckenna (as much as i hate him), b) Mick Martin (ditto applies) c) Dustin Fletcher (longest arms in the afl, legend)
anyway- i've nibbled your bait :)
...but i bet you'd open the batting with Glenn Mcgrath .......

Peter Matera a slimey.........that made me laugh hard!!! yep i agree.

Mercuri and Leppitsch both make my first team.

I hope Hird gets through the season....i love watching him play.
But surely doesn't make the team until he proves his durability.

He's not that bad! is he? Actually he reckons he's going to be far more team orientated this year..... maybe he's finally realised the Brownlow will illude him!
But as aggro as he can be, you can't deny he was ON FIRE on Friday night. He's not beyond playing like that all season- the guy's a freak.

Joey is Phil Matera. Peter is Roo, so Phil is Joey -get it?

Hey Arch- what's wrong with Bluey? I thought he was a pretty fair player..... And would you consider Ash McIntosh at FB? I know he has bad knees, but do you remember Round 4 1999? He is still an awesome player.

Sure Arch, Chris Grant may be better.

But have you heard of a thing called team balance?

There is already Carey, Lloyd and Richardson camping on that forward line, Grant would get in their way
smile.gif

McKenna was in my original team, only to be replaced by Pickett.

Mick Martyn is one of the least skilled players the game has ever seen.

Dustin Fletcher wouldn't get anywhere near the side.

McIntosh, Leppitsch, Graham, would all be ahead of him.

Yes, Matera was good on Friday... doubt he'll continue it consistently.

Mercuri is nowhere near superstar status... and the more I think about it, the less likely I am to include him.

And I'm not sure about you, but I'd have McGrath opening the bowling... possibly creeping to 10 in the batting depending on who is around
smile.gif

Matt

mercuri nowhere near superstar status ????
youre kidding arnt ya ?????
Can you justify that statement with any reasoning ???? He is easily in the top ten AFL players.
gimme a break.

------------------
BOMBERS REIGN SUPREME.

Nowhere near superstar status?

Your either taking the piss or completely ignorant.

2nd in the Brownlow (with 2-3 less games played)

In everyone's top 10 - over in their top 6.

Kicks a shitload of goals despite having loads of other goalkickers.

Is basically the complete footballer.

I take it you MUST have been taking the piss because your credibility is - well - poor at best after that effort.

Dutch

PS. Fletcher (W.Carey - no goals, 3 kicks etc) behind Graham etc...) - give me a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mercuri is soft as far as attacking the ball goes, and while he has very accomplished skills, a lot of his kicks are from his teammates doing the hard work.

Fletcher is a good defender, but I'm afraid he would be a fair way back in the pecking order.

If not Graham as you claim, then Leppitsch, Archer (although he is too small to play at full back on tallr opponents) or McIntosh would all get the nod ahead of Fletcher. Long arms don't count for everything.

And as for your petty insults - i.e. me taking the piss, if that is what you need to rely on to try and win an argument then you are rather sad yourself.

I'd rather we kept that sort of rubbish out of otherwise healthy debate
smile.gif

Matt

Great team mate no matter who u put in there was going to be disagreements

I hate Adelaide with a passion but how close was Mcleod to making it

Can u put out what u think is the best team say after round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back