Best and Fairest so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Browndog mentioned that he has a mental B&F going on, so I've put a list together to see where people end up. Note that this a guess of what they are, not a statement of what I think they should be.

(games played)

1. Rockliff (8)
2. Black (7)
3. Rich (8)
4. Adcock (7)
5. Hanley (8)
6. Redden (8)
7. Maguire (8)
8. Patfull (8)
9. McGrath (8)
10. Golby (8)
11. Brown (6)
12. Raines (5)
13. Merrett (8)
14. Lester (7)
15. Polec (8)
16. Hudson (5)
17. Banfield (7)
18. Drummond (5)
19. Polkinghorne (6)
20. Beams (3)
21. Cornelius (3)
22. Karnezis (4)
23. Longer (4)
24. Crisp (3)
25. Leuenberger (3)
26. Bewick (3)
27. Harwood (4)
28. Zorko (2)
29. Sheldon (3)
30. Stiller (2)
31. Green (1)
32. Hawksley (1)
33. McKeever (3)
34. O'Brien (2)

Be gentle...

IF we were, to say, use Dream Team points as an indication of influence on games our players have had, our top 5 would be:

1)Tom Rockliff 835
2)Jack Redden 762
3)Daniel Rich 685
4)Pearce Hanley 664
5)Simon Black 659

Wonder how last years top 5 reflects to our top 5 dreamteam pointers for last year?

Last years:
Merrett-Murray Medal voting
1. Tom Rockliff - 37.5 votes
2. Simon Black - 35.5 votes
3. Jack Redden - 35 votes
=4. Jed Adcock - 32.5 votes
=4. Pearce Hanley - 32.5 votes

Jack Redden Brisbane 22 2402
Tom Rockliff Brisbane 20 2241
Matthew Leuenberger Brisbane 22 2042
Simon Black Brisbane 22 1999
Pearce Hanley Brisbane 22 1764

Huh, so yeah, maybe not the best accuracy for judgement.

Disappointing at the following IMO:

17. Banfield (7)
19. Polkinghorne (6)
22. Karnezis (4)
27. Harwood (4)
33. McKeever (3)

Disappointed why? Results from games played or lack of games played?

Karnezis and Harwood both had at least 1 game as the sub
More so disappointed in Polks, McKeever and Banfield.

PK and Harwood have had limited opportunities but I also feel they haven't yet made the most of those opportunities.

IMO of course.

Pretty good list I reckon Grim. Big movers in the second half of the season would probably be Raines, Brown, Merrett and Beams.

My top 10 would be:

1. Rockliff
2. Black
3. Maguire
4. Rich
5. Hanley
6. Redden
7. Adcock
8. Patfull
9. McGrath
10. Merrett

I actually think that Redden will feature higher (Midfielders get noticed more) but that would be the order I would have them in.

Redden has a tendency to be our best player when we are getting smashed. This is a really impressive trait of his. I think he has been our best against Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think that Redden will feature higher (Midfielders get noticed more) but that would be the order I would have them in.

Midfielders get noticed in Brownlow and media polls, I don't think the same holds true in B and F. The coaching panel will be assessing the players against the roles that they have given them, and the jobs that they have asked them to do.

Given that, i think Goose will be very well placed. Hanley I'm not so sure of, obviously he has been asked to provide run which he does, but I do wonder if they would also have wanted to see more defensive 'safety' from him, it is sometimes heart in the mouth stuff with Pearce.

Bearing in mind that our club selects it's B&F based on the role that the player is given and how he performs then IMO Hanley, Maguire, Merrett and Redden would be going OK. I tend to like our B&F and rate it. I actually think that our own Big Footy player of the year is flawed as IMO peeps tend to favour high possession mids and as much as Rich has played well the last 2 weeks he has hardly been great by foot at times and he also has (had?) a tendency to get caught on his wrong side. Redden I
think is good going back so that helps him and he played well when our other mids got beaten. Hanley, Maguire, Merrett have had good years so far and have played their roles very well. Maguire for me has been a revelation and I would have him close to being our best this 1st half of the season.

Th
Bump.

I reckon Hudson would be going OK on a votes per game basis. Seems whenever he plays, Voss gives him a rap.

Throw Raines into the same boat.
While not recognised by many outside his club he is fast becoming one of the better taggers in the competition. This type of player does well in the B&F as their club understands better than anyone the task they have completed

Th

While not recognised by many outside his club he is fast becoming one of the better taggers in the competition. This type of player does well in the B&F as their club understands better than anyone the task they have completed
Couldn't agree more. Nowadays, Raines is one of our blokes who'd get a game in most sides.

Bearing in mind that our club selects it's B&F based on the role that the player is given and how he performs then IMO Hanley, Maguire, Merrett and Redden would be going OK. I tend to like our B&F and rate it. I actually think that our own Big Footy player of the year is flawed as IMO peeps tend to favour high possession mids and as much as Rich has played well the last 2 weeks he has hardly been great by foot at times and he also has (had?) a tendency to get caught on his wrong side. Redden I
think is good going back so that helps him and he played well when our other mids got beaten. Hanley, Maguire, Merrett have had good years so far and have played their roles very well. Maguire for me has been a revelation and I would have him close to being our best this 1st half of the season.
Yeah, our award is pretty flawed. Not the least of which is that the same number of votes are available irrespective of whether it is a 100 point win over the best side or a 100 loss against the bottom side.

Agree on Maguire, Merrett - those two, in particular, would be scoring way better in the club B&F than they are on our POTY award. I sense Redden hasn't quite lived up to expectations, particularly in the first half dozen rounds. I think you are underselling Rich, particularly in his contested work which has really led the way. I also think Hanley has been pretty average in a number of games - not sure I'd agree that he has performed a role well in many games.

Golby is an under the radar type who would have got regular points in the B&F. Lester too (not to the same extent).

Th

Some outside the club recognise Rainsey's tagging abilities. Gabblett and Selwood for example.

Waiting for a meeting. Looking at this thread I thought I'd take a stab at figuring out our possible Brownlow votes to this point. Here's my best guess:

Round 1 Melbourne

3. Black
2. Rockliff
1. Adcock

(other possibilities: Beams, Rich, Hanley, Polkinghorne, Hudson)

Round 2 Carlton

3. Judd
2. Murphy
1. Waite

(possibilities: none)

Round 3 Fremantle

3. Sandilands
2. Pearce
1. Duffield

(possibilities: Patfull, Rockliff, Drummond, Polec)

Round 4 Gold Coast

3. Rockliff
2. Black
1. Cornelius

(possibilities: McGrath, Raines, Golby, Hanley, Rich)

Round 5 Geelong

3. Chapman
2. Hawkins
1. Rockliff

(possibilities: Black)

Round 6: Essendon

3. Stanton
2. Watson
1. Heppell

Round 7: Collingwood

3. Swan
2. Sidebottom
1. Pendlebury

Round 8: GWS

3. Merrett
2. Rockliff
1. Brown

(possibilities: Hanley, Rich, Black)

Round 9: Kangaroos

3. Goldstein
2. Harvey
1. Swallow

(possibilities: Redden)

Round 10: West Coast

3: Drummond
2. Priddis
1. Rich

(possibilities: Redden, Adcock)

Total:
8: Rockliff
5: Black
3: Drummond, Merrett
1: Adcock, Rich, Cornelius, Brown

If I was a betting man I'd be on Rocky as our highest vote getter.
Apologies for the uber-long post.

Waiting for a meeting. Looking at this thread I thought I'd take a stab at figuring out our possible Brownlow votes to this point. Here's my best guess:

Round 1 Melbourne

3. Black
2. Rockliff
1. Adcock

(other possibilities: Beams, Rich, Hanley, Polkinghorne, Hudson)

Round 2 Carlton

3. Judd
2. Murphy
1. Waite

Round 3 Fremantle

3. Sandilands
2. Pearce
1. Duffield

(possibilities: Patfull, Rockliff, Drummond, Polec)

Round 4 Gold Coast

3. Rockliff
2. Black
1. Cornelius

(possibilities: McGrath, Raines, Golby, Hanley, Rich)

Round 5 Geelong

3. Chapman
2. Hawkins
1. Rockliff

(possibilities: Black)

Round 6: Essendon

3. Stanton
2. Watson
1. Heppell

Round 7: Collingwood

3. Swan
2. Sidebottom
1. Pendlebury

Round 8: GWS

3. Merrett
2. Rockliff
1. Brown

(possibilities: Hanley, Rich, Black)

Round 9: Kangaroos

3. Goldstein
2. Harvey
1. Swallow

(possibilities: Redden)

Round 10: West Coast

3: Drummond
2. Priddis
1. Rich

(possibilities: Redden, Adcock)

Total:
8: Rockliff
5: Black
3: Drummond, Merrett
1: Adcock, Rich, Cornelius, Brown

If I was a betting man I'd be on Rocky as our highest vote getter.
Apologies for the uber-long post.[/quote

Based on his 5 games so far, reckon there is every chance Zorko can make a remarkable debut year with a top 5 finish

Adcock seems to be improving as the season goes on. I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature in the top few if he can keep his form up. Same goes for Brown, as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back