Travel Best and Worst Airlines

Remove this Banner Ad

Air New Zealand were my favourite but I've only flown them one leg (LAX to Auckland, Auckland to Perth). But good food which was above normal airline standards, pretty friendly staff without being fake, and generally a lot of the people on the flight were pretty decent as well which might be a weird thing to say but it had a relaxed and friendly vibe whereas some flights from say Abu Dhabi to Europe can be full of all sorts: screaming kids, groups of students, rude bastards, all these cultures...

Probably the worst international one are the shabby older ish ones you can get from Abu Dhabi to Europe. AirItalia, Air Berlin are the old 80s fleet I swear. They're by no means bad but the entertainment system doesn't exist or work and it seems their thing is 'ah the Etihad flight here was fine, so we won't worry now.'

I like Virgin to be honest too, feels a bit cleaner and more... ambitious or something than Qantas, like they have something to prove, whereas Qantas feels like its resting on laurels. Pretty shitty cabin crews too. Just feels a bit second rate.

I travel on Jetstar quite often. I've never had an issue.

Internationally JAL were great.

The Good:
Finnair
(Good aircraft, good service staff, and on multi leg and stop over flights their pricing is amazing.)
Virgin International (Flew with them from Melbourne to LA in 2014, service was great, loved that the air craft had a water fountain and free bottle for refills and the aircraft was clean and comfy.)
Royal Air Brunei (I hated them when I first flew to London with them on the old Singapore jets, but since upgrading their fleet to dreamliners and since dropping return flights to London to under 1k, I am happier with them. I don't drink when I fly, so thats not an issue for me, and the 2 stop overs are good because I have bad knees so getting up for 2 hours every 7 hours to stretch and walk around is perfect for me.)

The Neither Good Or Bad:
JAL Domestic, Jetstar International, Scoot Business, Aegean Airlines, Qantas Domestic and International.

The Bad:
Ryan Air. Simply awful when I used them from Ireland to England and Scotland. I got three flights for about $16 each and regret it every day haha.

Air New Zealand were my favourite but I've only flown them one leg (LAX to Auckland, Auckland to Perth). But good food which was above normal airline standards, pretty friendly staff without being fake, and generally a lot of the people on the flight were pretty decent as well which might be a weird thing to say but it had a relaxed and friendly vibe whereas some flights from say Abu Dhabi to Europe can be full of all sorts: screaming kids, groups of students, rude bastards, all these cultures...

images

Heard lots of good things about Air New Zealand, when I get the opportunity to go to NZ I will definitely fly them.

1. Emirates
2. Qatar
3. Daylight
4. Singapore
5. More daylight
6. Virgin
7. Malaysian
8. Qantas

I won't rank budget airlines, I feel they should be ranked separately from the full service airlines and I haven't been on enough to fully judge.

If you ever miss a movie at the cinema just wait for it to land on Krisworld within weeks - flew Singapore Airlines to the UK over Christmas and basically had my pick of films released in the third quarter of 2017.

Not sure of Air New Zealand's current policy but I had to pay extra for checked luggage last time I flew with them which took me by surprise.

I like Qantas for long haul, Singapore were good. Internally in Malaysia I liked Air Asia, super cheap and the food was excellent - longer trips not so much.
Only flown Virgin Internationally once, was decent but not spectacular.

Hated American Airlines and LAN, both terrible.
Not a huge fan of Thai Airways, Kenya airways was passable. Had some hairy moment with smaller African charter flights.

1. Emirates

Emirates are the best I've flown with

I think if you get the chance you must fly Emirates at least once. I thought Singapore Airlines set the benchmark and then Emirates and Qatar came along, with Emirates perhaps slightly in front. Even in economy class you feel spoiled and comfortable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Air traffic is a horrifically uncomfortable way to travel but of course, there are few alternatives. I have an arseload of Qantas points which luckily I can usually use to upgrade on longer flights. Business class is the shizzle. Acres of room and very quiet. I used to call a mate a w***er when he said he struggles to fly economy after flying business. * was he right though.

got to fly united both internationally and domestically in the US a few months ago, theres a massive difference between their international service and their domestic one

their 787 Dreamliner fleet however is simply fantastic. got bumped up to premium economy on the way over which was incredibly comfortable, economy on the way back which was pretty good too

domestically, they felt a bit dirty. completely unlike Qantas or virgin over here

I think if you get the chance you must fly Emirates at least once. I thought Singapore Airlines set the benchmark and then Emirates and Qatar came along, with Emirates perhaps slightly in front. Even in economy class you feel spoiled and comfortable.

It's my go-to airline. Their economy class itself is definitely above standards.

Managed to get an extremely cheap last-minute upgrade to business class on a 7 hour flight from Bangkok to Amsterdam once. Fantastic experience.

It's my go-to airline. Their economy class itself is definitely above standards.

Managed to get an extremely cheap last-minute upgrade to business class on a 7 hour flight from Bangkok to Amsterdam once. Fantastic experience.

Impossible

I’ve flown Etihad to Europe twice and really liked it. They are on the cheaper end and I never had any issues aside from some shitty second legs but by then who really cares.

Flew Thai and Lufthansa back once. Thai wasn’t too bad, had the paper and stuff, but I was on an aisle and absolutely knackered so just slept with all the leg room next to these two other girls who had been travelling solo through Europe. I didn’t experience much at all.

Also flew Norwegian from London to JFK. Wasn’t as cheap as everyone used to say and tbh I don’t think they ever were that cheap. I got upgraded which was good but even then it was just spacious seats - no food or anything. Economy looked like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine and Puddy fly back from Europe... terrible and packed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back