Opinion Best and worst memory/game in your GFC supporting history

Remove this Banner Ad

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ve got a few from more recent times but older memories are obviously accepted!!

Best: Tuohy Goal after the siren, Hawkins vs Hawks and of course Maxy Holmes goal against the pies 2022.

Worst: ash McGrath goal (was there) or the saints game last year round 23 (not really the worst moment but I personally just hated every minute of it especially cos the saints fan decided to be loud for once in there 150 year history.)

Share yours below

Worst… Losing grand finals.
Best… Winning grand finals.

And pretty sure that’s the only answer any fan of any team would give

Unless you‘re a Saints supporter and the winning grand finals may not be something you’ve actually witnessed….

And pretty sure that’s the only answer any fan of any team would give

Unless you‘re a Saints supporter and the winning grand finals may not be something you’ve actually witnessed….

Saints fans still dust of the dvd of that time they beat us in a home and away game many moons ago.

A home and away game seriously would be most of their fans favourite memory.

And I’m dead serious, I reckon it would be.

How sad is that lol.

Saints fans still dust of the dvd of that time they beat us in a home and away game many moons ago.

A home and away game seriously would be most of their fans favourite memory.

And I’m dead serious, I reckon it would be.

How sad is that lol.
I actually love watching that game. I probably wouldn't if we lost the granny. I was bitter when the siren went but also thought, they won't start 5 goals ahead again. Genuine football highlight even though we lost. The atmosphere was insane and two genuine heavyweight (talent wise) teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Non finals game
Worst - last round of 2001 season at Princes Park when Milburn knocked out Silvagni. Geelong were awful and you just wanted the season to be over. Also at the time I thought we had years in the wilderness ahead without realising there was a nucleus OT our future flag sides

Best - going to go very recent and pick 2022 v Tigers with the Henry late mark and goal. Had me thinking perhaps we had the ticker to go all the way

Worst - Hawthorn's big comeback to beat us at Princess Park in 1989. Beautiful day weather wise, I was watching on the wing. Exell kicked like 8 goals and Senior was giving Diper the run around on the wing. 1st half was magical. 2nd half. Ayers moved into the centre and killed us. Senior followed Diper into their backline (for some reason!). Dermie kneed Yeates in the balls.....and we lost.

Best - any game Senior went crazy and we won.

EDIT - for those younger viewers at home (anyone under 40!) here is that 1989 game details.
Exell kicked 9...I think 7 or 8 in the 1st half. Ablett kicked 3...all in the 1st half as he played the 2nd half in the back pocket (one of those Blight strange moves). Can't remember if Blight eventually moved Ablett back further up the ground later or not, but by then they had all the momentum.
Ayers move to the centre was a master stroke by Jeans. 20 possessions, most would have been in the 2nd half and he kicked a bloody goal!
Hawthorn kicked 10 goals to our 6 in the last quarter to win by 8 points. :(
It was a "classic" game, just a shame we were on the losing end.
Also free kick count was 22 to 9 against us. Hmmm....

Last edited:
Worst: 2012 EF against Fremantle. Thought we were going to win the flag.
2016 PF against Sydney. Again thought we were going to win the flag.

Best: R19, 2012 Hawkins after siren.
In standing room with some Geel, Haw mates. Haw mates got up and about in the last only for the place to erupt once the kick left the boot. Always going through.

I could've picked 10 greatest moments easily. Been the best club to follow in my lifetime by far.

Worst: 2008 by a mile, but if we're discounting GF losses then the prelim. Hurts more than many of them during that era because I actually thought we were going to win the thing.

I didn't even think we were a great side, but it was an incredibly weak year, and to be so non-competitive in a home prelim with the 7th placed Dogs (who we've had the wood over for my entire lifetime) waiting the week after sucked.

Best: 2011 GF. Only premiership I was lucky enough to attend, and it was just awesome. Jimmy & Stevie playing out of their skin, and hammering home the confidence of always beating the Pies in the games that matter.

If we're discounting GFs though, the 2011, 2020, & 2022 prelims where bliss. Nothing better than having the game won with an hour or so to go and just sitting back, and thinking about the big one and everything that comes with GF week.

Honourable mention to the 2016 QF, and any significant milestone over the journey (See round 23 2015)

Some alternative picks:

07 Qual Final v North - Beers after the game on a sunny afternoon at the London Tavern - I could feel this time it was different.

222 vs Richmond. Just wow.

Best Loss - Menzel comeback game. Never had I left a losing game so happy.

Worst:

Some of our losses at KP back in the day were hard to take. I remember a particularly windy day against West Coast. During the quarters we kicked with it they were smart enough to play VERY defensively. I'm talking putting the ball OOB constantly, taking ages for kick-ins (clock ticked for that in those days). It was just shite to watch.

Some alternative picks:

07 Qual Final v North - Beers after the game on a sunny afternoon at the London Tavern - I could feel this time it was different.

222 vs Richmond. Just wow.

Best Loss - Menzel comeback game. Never had I left a losing game so happy.

Worst:

Some of our losses at KP back in the day were hard to take. I remember a particularly windy day against West Coast. During the quarters we kicked with it they were smart enough to play VERY defensively. I'm talking putting the ball OOB constantly, taking ages for kick-ins (clock ticked for that in those days). It was just shite to watch.
That West Coast game was a shocker.

There were some bad ones v North and Freo as well, in horrible weather

Our last 2 days at Princes Park were pretty bleak.

Rd 22, 2001 was the Milburn game most people remember.

Rd 2, 2004 we had bad injuries and an incredibly young team got pumped by a terrible Carlton team. You never would've guessed our next loss in Victoria would be the prelim final.

Hopefully Thursday goes better than those days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back